• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

mf luder

Anyone having problems with the massive "Dead" zone in the Wii U Pads (same on pro controller) analog sticks? Seems to be a massive amount of "nothing" than a whole lot of movement. Not the first game I've noticed it, either.

Its definitely not the sticks, if you go on the browser and scroll up/down/left/right it takes barely any movement.

maxcriden

Man, I really need to dive back in to this. I've been so hooked on Zelda that I'm only through the first world.

It's the opposite for me. I'm only three dungeons-ish into Zelda, but decently far into 3DW. OTOH, that's mostly because my wife is way ahead of me in Zelda and barely letting me play it. ;)

Haven't even had time to jump into this I've been so obsessed with Zelda.

WTB
I want to pick it up for my nephew. If any if you have finished if and want to sell your copy let me know

Linkhero1

Post Game:

Oh man that Shiftier Boo Mansion in Flower World was amazing. The remixed levels are so much better than the first couple of Worlds.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, I love this game, but holy shit, I really wish they would scrap the world map. The themes for almost all the areas are stupidly generic, and don't even fit. In the desert area, there are like... 1 or 2 levels that even take place in a desert. And the overworld is so uninspired and reminds me so much of NSMB that I barely even want to play the next level, despite that I know that the actual levels are phenomenal.

So yeah... that's a pretty minor complaint. Game is fucking awesome.

A Link Between Worlds is still the better game this year, though.

This thread helped me out immensely with this level:

The trick is to watch the mice and not jump when you are on the Grumblumps.

Whoa! I wasted so many lives figuring out the perfect spot to jump from for each of the characters. I feel stupid now. EAD even left a hint there!

Timeaisis

New Stage of Rage: Bowser-7: Grumblump Inferno.

Don't jump while your on the
moving blocks.
Just walk to the direction they are moving.

Jumping = death on that level.

The level itself isn't that hard. It's the Green Stars and the stamp that will make you want to throw your controller.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I ordered this game during the 20% off preorders on ToysRUs.com and it still hasn't arrived. It's killing me.

I have to say that the speed boost while running is damn satisfying. Ant those speed panels on the floor are awesome, they work perfectly with the 8 directions style of this game.

Robin64

Hang on...

Like Wii Fit, Super Mario 3D World is region locked for online too, isn't it?

It dawned on me that the only friends I'd seen as ghosts in my levels were other Europeans. Haven't seen a SINGLE American chum. Not one!

Yes Boss!

I have to say that the speed boost while running is damn satisfying. Ant those speed panels on the floor are awesome, they work perfectly with the 8 directions style of this game.

Indeed! After about twenty hours I was starting to use it tactfully. The only problem I've had with the eight-way control was with the spotlight power-up. Otherwise I love it more than analog...specifically for this game.

Sendou

Loved this little easter egg. Kind of a spoiler so only click the link if you've found everything.

http://abload.de/image.php?img=wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ugk2w.jpg

The crazy part of me wants to believe this is hinting at something. Probably just a fun meaningless reference though.

I got it...

Iwata Asks said:

We thought it was a joke but apparently it no longer is one. So what I'm getting out of this is that Aonuma and the Zelda team(s) are making Galaxy 3 next while Koizumi and EAD Tokyo take a shot at Zelda.

not really

zigg

I really wouldn't say the planetiods helped in the placement of a better camera for platforming. The spherical nature of the planets did help in creating a camera that didn't need to be micro-managed.
Compared to those games' predecessors, I think they did a pretty good job. Of course, there are, as you point out, several ways it can break down. That doesn't change that Galaxy vs. 3D X are attacking the problem in entirely different ways.

Timeaisis

I got it...

We thought it was a joke but apparently it no longer is one. So what I'm getting out of this is that Aonuma and the Zelda team(s) are making Galaxy 3 next while Koizumi and EAD Tokyo take a shot at Zelda.

not really

I'd actually be down for this. Would lead to some interesting games.

So I used Noteworthy Composer to take a look at the sheet music to this midi that recreates the Hisstocrat theme.

Apparently during that "breakdown" that starts about 21 seconds into the song, if you count percussion, this song has approximately five different bass lines. There also looks to be syncopation between some of these bass lines.

I love this song so much!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I think it's important to remember where Galaxy came from. Planetoids weren't just a really sweet platforming idea, but also a camera idea. They helped line up the camera with where you were going.

3D Land effectively dropped that whole idea and replaced it with lining up the camera and Mario's movement in 3D space to 8-way, and then offered stereoscopic 3D to help gauge depth. It worked pretty well.

3D World then dropped the stereoscopic element without really replacing it, so it can be a bit tricky. All you've got to rely on now is the shadows, and they're not always as visible as they ideally would be.
I can't see the 3DS' stereoscopic 3D and ended up having to play 3DL with it turned off the entire time. 3DW seems much more consistent when it comes to giving you visual cues. I recall a lot of times where I didn't even have a shadow to use in 3DL and had to take several leaps of faith; S8-Crown is absolute bullshit especially. I haven't really had that problem in 3DW.

I also think the fixed camera makes for much easier platforming than SMG. I've mentioned it a few times in this thread already, but look at this level again. The only reason it's difficult at all is because the camera swings behind you and constantly changes your direction. Think how easy it would be with 3DW's camera and only ever having to make sharp 90 degree turns.

It's amazing how much love this level is getting. Although I was always on the 3D World bandwagon, I - and many others - was under the impression that this was clearly the most bland and visually unappealing level that had been revealed so far, looking a bit out-of-place, compared to the other levels. But the impressions of this level suggest it's one the better gems out of the entire spectacular lot.

Should have known better than to expect something less that magical from EAD. Can't wait till I reach that level myself!

Sprawling Savannah is pretty much the most boring level in the game to me.

The only reason I return to it is because it's pretty much the easiest level in the game and you can stock up on cat suits instantly in it.

I finished this a bit ago and absolutely loved it. I've never been a fan of the 3D Mario games, Land being the first that I've enjoyed, but World became one of my favorite Mario games. I actually prefer it over some of the 2D games, which I never thought I'd say. Particularly, the New series. It was just so much fun to play from beginning to end. There's still one green star I have left to get and I have one stage to get a gold flag on. I'm going to take a break from it before I get into the post-ending stuff.

Andrew.

Banned
Sprawling Savannah is pretty much the most boring level in the game to me.

The only reason I return to it is because it's pretty much the easiest level in the game and you can stock up on cat suits instantly in it.

Im willing to wager that it's a hell of a lot quicker to pick up the two immediate cat suits in 1-1 and finish the level than it takes to pick up two suits in SS and complete it.

Just like picking up a couple Tanooki suits in 3-1 is wicked fast.

This thread helped me out immensely with this level:

The trick is to watch the mice and not jump when you are on the Grumblumps.

Don't jump while your on the
moving blocks.
Just walk to the direction they are moving.

Jumping = death on that level.

The level itself isn't that hard. It's the Green Stars and the stamp that will make you want to throw your controller.
Oh yeah, I got the
no-jumping
thing quick enough. It was that goddamn stamp. Died so many times from not being able to tell where my shadow was. Plus various fuckery with the mice on the last riding block.

I'm playing through Super Mario Galaxy 2 (for the first time - don't know why I waited so long) while waiting for Super Mario 3D World to arrive... and my god, Galaxy 2 is amazing. It's gonna be difficult to top it, but I can't wait to play some 3D World. :)

Xun

I got it...

not really
I actually wouldn't mind seeing this happen.

Whilst I think Aonuma does a good job on Zelda, I really do wish to see him have a go at something else, at least for his sanity.

Just pick up 3D world earlier today. Any tips on getting the most out of this game? I rarely play the Mario plat-formers, but I love the Kart series.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just pick up 3D world earlier today. Any tips on getting the most out of this game? I rarely play the Mario plat-formers, but I love the Kart series.

Just play at your own pace and likings

Personally I like to play one world 100 % in each 2-3 hours sitting, I replay levels instantly to explore everything, and try out different stuff. A slow burner and completionist

Then some like to just get through it fast, beat Bowser, do post game and then go back re-exploring and finding collectables

It's also pretty fun to play with friends or family in between

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It probably says more about me than it does about the game, but I'm mid-way through the Mushroom world and I've just be demolishing everything that has come before (usually getting all the starts and the stamp in one run). The challenge is completely non-existent. I think I'm getting to the point where just completing a Mario course is completely trivial for me.

I miss the sense of place that the prior 3D Mario games had (even the Galaxy games). I no longer feel like I'm exploring a world. I liked that feeling because it made the experience of playing the game about more than just completing the course.

The sheer-creativity here is incredible, don't get me wrong. I suppose I'm just less interested in repeatedly showing that I can clear the obstacles (having done that in Mario games since I was born) and more interested in just moving through a space that I feel a part of. For example, seeing a distant ledge and wondering if I'll ever be able to reach it. 3D World rarely offers that feeling. When it does, it's usually fleeting. I will have reached that hidden ledge moments after realising it's there.

Minor quibbles. Extraordinarily creative, but maybe the first signs of EAD Tokyo-style Mario fatigue, on my part. It's becoming a little bit routine.

Just play at your own pace and likings

Personally I like to play one world 100 % in each 2-3 hours sitting, I replay levels instantly to explore everything, and try out different stuff. A slow burner and completionist

Then some like to just get through it fast, beat Bowser, do post game and then go back re-exploring and finding collectables

It's also pretty fun to play with friends or family in between

Okay cool, thanks.

CassSept

Well, while I don't have much time I'm making some decent progress at
Champion Road
, while burning through lives at an impressive pace. Still most fun stage of all 3D Mario games.

4th segment was disappointing though. It's slow, easy and boring. 5th looks promising though, I only had 2 attempts at it with second being a brain fart jump into abyss at the beginning. Nice after 3rd segment being average difficulty and 4th being pointless.

Haha, I so love this stage. I can actually talk about particular segments of the stage and make some progress on it. I wish there were more stages, even if they were shorter, that presented similar level of challenge.

I dread going through it with other characters, but it will be easier as I finally got the ending of beep block segment down and do it (mostly) flawlessly.

Sixfortyfive

~80 hours in and 100%ed the game twice. I think it's time to shelve it for a few weeks.

So I finally got around to ordering Super Mario Galaxy 2 just now, trying to recall the exact reasons why I skipped it the first time around. I was pretty sure that I was just busy with other games and obligations at the time, and that might have been true, but the real reason just came back to me: Yoshi is on the cover. Man do I hate that character.

Looking forward to the game though.

maxcriden

~80 hours in and 100%ed the game twice. I think it's time to shelve it for a few weeks.

So I finally got around to ordering Super Mario Galaxy 2 just now, trying to recall the exact reasons why I skipped it the first time around. I was pretty sure that I was just busy with other games and obligations at the time, and that might have been true, but the real reason just came back to me: Yoshi is on the cover. Man do I hate that character.

Looking forward to the game though.

You...you hate Yoshi?! How? Why?

(Autocorrect knows Yoshi, which is awesome.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hang on...

Like Wii Fit, Super Mario 3D World is region locked for online too, isn't it?

It dawned on me that the only friends I'd seen as ghosts in my levels were other Europeans. Haven't seen a SINGLE American chum. Not one!
Could be why I've seen so little ghosts.

Well just got game today after getting WiiU yesterday. On third world.

Impressed with the GFX upgrade, and it is fun to play.

But it isn't really a Galaxy class game. The levels seem more linear and the scope feels smaller somehow. It is a very promising look into what the next Galaxy class game might be like though, I'm your umber one fan.

Sixfortyfive

You...you hate Yoshi?! How? Why?

(Autocorrect knows Yoshi, which is awesome.)
Super Mario World entered my view at the same time cutesy dinosaurs brought Barney to mind first and foremost, and that is all sorts of lame. I think I was also the only gradeschool boy with complete indifference to dinosaurs in general.

That passed, but then they gave him that voice in the N64 games. Jesus christ.

Always felt clunky to control in every game I've ever played with him, too.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is there a way to switch characters without going back to the main menu? My main is Toad but sometimes the later levels/stars/stamps seem a better fit for Rosalina, Peach, and/or Luigi.

Top Bottom