• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

I love messing around with the right sick and placing the camara closer to the character. It shows how graphically incredible this game is. I place the cámara a little lower and closer to the characters most times. Ead killed the visuals on this one. Good Lord.

We need more screenshots!

branny

I don't think I've posted in this thread yet, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I adore SM3DW. It's pure fun, and I'm pleasantly surprised by its superb audiovisual presentation, too.

Sadist

Fire Emblem Awakening has been sitting on the number one spot for me this year, but man the further I get into 3D World the better it gets. There is some clever level design going on.

Zing

Banned
Something that seems odd to me is that you can start a stage as "small Mario", but if you die on a stage, you always restart as "super Mario". I wonder if it is like this in the Japanese version, since that region's Mario games have a tradition of being more difficult.

maxcriden

It's from an #ImWithReggie tweet yesterday :p

40kd.png

Oh, thanks. Interesting, I wonder what it could be. Too soon for a new Mario & Luigi game or LM3. Maybe 3DL2 with playable Luigi or that rumored LM2 port to Wii U. Can't seem to think of what else it could be besides Luigi appearing in Mario sports/party games.

ETA: I suppose it could also be a new Paper Mario for Wii U also starring Luigi.

Linkhero1

Something that seems odd to me is that you can start a stage as "small Mario", but if you die on a stage, you always restart as "super Mario". I wonder if it is like this in the Japanese version, since that region's Mario games have a tradition of being more difficult.

It bothered me too but I got over it later on in the game. I can see why they did it. It's much easier to get the power up for that level. You'd always be stuck with mushrooms if you were small Mario every time you played the game. Another thing that bothered me is that I can't go into a level, grab the power up and back out without having to finish the level.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I want this, but I don't want the Wii U. Wat do, gaf?

Buy the game and stare at the cover?

You can also pretend scratching the club nintendo code is a lottery or something, hang the instruction poster on the wall, and wear the disc as bijou

maxcriden

My haikus keep getting the thread buried!

On topic, here's what I'm thinking tentatively for our post-game challenge run:

No coins:
Mario

No touching enemies:
Rosalina

No power-ups:
Peach

None of the above:
Toad

I'd like to make it as difficult as possible for us. I'd love any suggestions to make it more difficult. Am I using the right character for each challenge? I want to pick whoever is going to be most difficult to pull off each challenge with. My wife and I play the game single player and switch off levels.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ok so I came to the mystery house in the flower world, its the only level that I have unlocked that I havent beat. What am I supposed to do?

Ok so I came to the mystery house in the flower world, its the only level that I have unlocked that I havent beat. What am I supposed to do?

Isnt that the Brawl Mystery House? I think you just have to defeat all of the enemies(along with grabbing the green Star) in each section

You know, unrelated to my post above, I was just wondering if anyone did something crazy like this in one of the Mystery Houses:

It's the Mystery House with the baseball. In the first part, we both jumped down the slide to grab the Star before time ran out but slid to our deaths. I know we were supposed to use the baseball but we were so concerned with grabbing the Star in time that we forgot all about that. Of course we got through it after but just thought that was funny. Anyone else have Mystery House stories?

Andrew.

Banned
You know, unrelated to my post above, I was just wondering if anyone did something crazy like this in one of the Mystery Houses:

It's the Mystery House with the baseball. In the first part, we both jumped down the slide to grab the Star before time ran out but slid to our deaths. I know we were supposed to use the baseball but we were so concerned with grabbing the Star in time that we forgot all about that. Of course we got through it after but just thought that was funny

I did the exact same thing =)

It's the Mystery House with the baseball. In the first part, we both jumped down the slide to grab the Star before time ran out but slid to our deaths. I know we were supposed to use the baseball but we were so concerned with grabbing the Star in time that we forgot all about that. Of course we got through it after but just thought that was funny. Anyone else have Mystery House stories?
I know I definitely did the same thing for that star. Really liked that Mystery House.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Isnt that the Brawl Mystery House? I think you just have to defeat all of the enemies(along with grabbing the green Star) in each section

Thanks, but seems I was thinking about the level "shiftier Boo Mansion"

Edit: Since I started asking for advice here, I also went and used a guide to get the only star I missed in the regular first 8 worlds. It was the first one in 5-3. Yeah, Im glad I guided for that.

Zing

Banned
It bothered me too but I got over it later on in the game. I can see why they did it. It's much easier to get the power up for that level. You'd always be stuck with mushrooms if you were small Mario every time you played the game. Another thing that bothered me is that I can't go into a level, grab the power up and back out without having to finish the level.
The odd thing to me is that we don't automatically start as "super" when beginning a stage. Sometimes, I intentionally kill myself at the start of a stage if I am small just to get the free "super".

If someone said that Super Mario 3D World is Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS but with HD graphic, cat suit and local multiplayer. How correct would they be? A troll who clearly has his head in the sand or would that be a correct assessment.

Very incorrect. 3D world and 3D land are notably different. The platforming mechanics are different ie; you get a boost after running a while and there are four different characters with different mechanics to each of them.

Multiple new power ups such as the goomba suit, cherry, flashlight, and cannon are brand new. It's not just the cat suit. The giant mushroom also makes its debut in 3D.

The level design is far better. They are bigger, more varied and fleshed out, and have more collectables. Clear pipes, clever uses of shadow and light, trapeezes, baseballs and exploding soccer balls, plessie and far more. There are a huge variety of enviorments compared to 3D land. Far More types of bosses too.

A large variety of new and old types of enemies are added that vary the gameplay significantly.

The world map is freely roamable. There are branching paths. You can find a decent amout of secret levels, challenges, powerups, and rewards If you explore enough. There are cute little captain toad puzzles and star challenge levels that appear on the world map, which are great fun too.

The music is fully orchestrated and original this time as well. Miiverse integration with stamps and ghost miis also adds some social elements.

Downhome

There is one thing, and one thing only, that I like best in 3D Land than I do 3D World - the 3D effect. It is much easier to line up your jumps and attacks in this "universe" with the 3D because of the extra depth that you can recognize. That said, you get used to 3D World without the 3D after a few tries, but still. It was something I had to get used to just a little bit after spending so much time with 3D Land.

Odrion

Banned
How can anyone get mad that Nintendo reiterated on the formula of Super Mario 3D Land?

It's a really fucking good formula! Hell, it's perfection even! To toss it away would've been criminal.

CrisKre

There is one thing, and one thing only, that I like best in 3D Land than I do 3D World - the 3D effect. It is much easier to line up your jumps and attacks in this "universe" with the 3D because of the extra depth that you can recognize. That said, you get used to 3D World without the 3D after a few tries, but still. It was something I had to get used to just a little bit after spending so much time with 3D Land.

That, and i will add that i miss ropes. The spring rope sections have always been a joy for me and i soley miss them here. BRING BACK ROPES!!!

I think I did that but was able to recover and jump back up.

(Or I might be thinking of something else. Will have to go and try it again.)

mrmickfran

I was SUPPOSED to play W101 first when I get my Wii U, but going through this OT really, really makes me want to play this first. I'm at a dilemma.

*First world problems*

hoserx

Tried to avoid this thread........ finally got the game today............

I am sitting on my couch just shaking my head in disbelief at how fucking brilliant this game is. It's got me smiling ear to ear, nearly in tears when the music starts playing when I ride the plesiosaur down the river......... such mario 64 feels. Wow.......... and then I get to the bottom of the gauntlet, I hop off of the plesiosaur......... and it waves to me. I start laughing so hard and I say "GOOD BYE, MY DINOSAUR FRIEND"..........

Of course, they knew I was going to do this, and via the magic of the microphone, the plesiosaur replies immediately. Amazing.

So far, I am having more fun with this game (in about 2 hours play), than I have with anything in recent memory.

Linkhero1

The odd thing to me is that we don't automatically start as "super" when beginning a stage. Sometimes, I intentionally kill myself at the start of a stage if I am small just to get the free "super".

Heh, I do that too. I even exit a stage after losing a powerup I began the stage with to get it back >.>

Fabrik

Banned
Wasted 100 lives on the last course and couldn't reach the first star.
Now I got the timing right and can reach it 90% of the time without almost never stopping.
So addictive.
Nintendo make your games a bit harder for us please!

ffdgh

I am sitting on my couch just shaking my head in disbelief at how fucking brilliant this game is. It's got me smiling ear to ear, nearly in tears when the music starts playing when I ride the plesiosaur down the river......... such mario 64 feels. Wow.......... and then I get to the bottom of the gauntlet, I hop off of the plesiosaur......... and it waves to me. I start laughing so hard and I say "GOOD BYE, MY DINOSAUR FRIEND"..........

Of course, they knew I was going to do this, and via the magic of the microphone, the plesiosaur replies immediately. Amazing.

So far, I am having more fun with this game (in about 2 hours play), than I have with anything in recent memory.

You joy will only increase as you play on.

Wait what? Is this true?
Holy shit, lol.
And yeah, this game is awesome. You're still in World 1 ...you have no idea...

Wasted 100 lives on the last course and couldn't reach the first star.
Now I got the timing right and can reach it 90% of the time without almost never stopping.
So addictive.
Nintendo make your games a bit harder for us please!
The last level threw me for a loop, with all of the other levels being so easy I wasn't ready for it. lol

Sendou

Played with my 4 year old niece watching today. She giggled when Plessie waved at Princess Peach. She also is someone that has no experience with games outside of iPad. I think Mario is just something universal and timeless.

Cat Coombas were apparently gross though? Here I was thinking they were really cute.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Level 5-1 is such a classic :D that beach and shell riding

MAZYORA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-UP_Studio

I kept telling everyone 1up studio(Brownie Brown) did 3d world when it was announced, but no one believed me. There was no way this was the next real big Mario title created directly by Nintendo. 1up studio was able to pump this game out fast because its based on an existing handheld game using assets already created, so Nintendo could have a Mario title ready for this holiday. This is no different than what they did with New Super Mario Wii: take an existing handheld game, upgrade the graphics, add new power ups, and make it four player. The games fun, but its not a true next gen Mario.

Porcile

I kept telling everyone 1up studio(Brownie Brown) did 3d world when it was announced, but no one believed me. There was no way this was the next real big Mario title created directly by Nintendo. 1up studio was able to pump this game out fast because its based on an existing handheld game using assets already created, so Nintendo could have a Mario title ready for this holiday. This is no different than what they did with New Super Mario Wii: take an existing handheld game, upgrade the graphics, add new power ups, and make it four player. The games fun, but its not a true next gen Mario.

I'm not even going to bother!

Oidisco

It's absolutely true. I stood next to it for a few minutes. Making sure that it would not say anything at all ............ and then the MOMENT id say something, it'd say goodbye to me in plesio-speak.
The same thing would happen if you just blew into the mic. It's still cool though

one_kill

"Guys, the game's fun and it's on a new console... but it's not a true next gen Mario because they based it on a handheld game and just changed a few things. For a Mario game to be considered a true next gen title, it needs to be done from the ground up."

Sendou

UsXyMcx.gif

Lunar15

Yeah, the game's Super Mario 3D Land 2. But so what? What does that change? It's still an amazingly stellar game that deserves to be played and praised

Galaxy 2 was literally a sequel to Galaxy, but it's still, in my opinion, far better than the original.

Well then. Isn't that all that matters?

What is a next gen game? I'm not sure many understand what a next gen title is. The fact that you're having fun means something is working. The fact that this game is on the Wii U with amazing levels, music, and art style is more than next gen to me. I'm sure we'll see what's in store for Mario in the future, but for now, just enjoy the game.

maxcriden

Well I would hope a sequel to 3DL didnt remove features of the first! :p

True! I'm just specifically pointing out that this would count as a continued YOL promotion.

#YOLO

You Only Luigi Once

Also I really did totally forget Luigi was playable in 3DL. :(

maxcriden

I was SUPPOSED to play W101 first when I get my Wii U, but going through this OT really, really makes me want to play this first. I'm at a dilemma.

*First world problems*

Play both at the same time. On both of your Wii Us.

#onepercentproblems

But seriously--alternate playing them, I do it all the time with games. Right now we're playing Pikmin 3, Lego City, 3DW, Nintendo Land, and on 3DS I'm playing LBW, Dream Team, SMB3, and DKCR3D. I think I'm forgetting a bunch as well.

maxcriden

Played with my 4 year old niece watching today. She giggled when Plessie waved at Princess Peach. She also is someone that has no experience with games outside of iPad. I think Mario is just something universal and timeless.

Cat Coombas were apparently gross though? Here I was thinking they were really cute.

They are really cute.

From NoA's Twitter:

BYwVDbeIYAAOa58.jpg

Also, she's not technically your niece.

Because you're adopted.

Sorry. I was supposed to tell you years ago Sendou and I honestly totally forgot.

Top Bottom