• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

maxcriden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-UP_Studio

I kept telling everyone 1up studio(Brownie Brown) did 3d world when it was announced, but no one believed me. There was no way this was the next real big Mario title created directly by Nintendo. 1up studio was able to pump this game out fast because its based on an existing handheld game using assets already created, so Nintendo could have a Mario title ready for this holiday. This is no different than what they did with New Super Mario Wii: take an existing handheld game, upgrade the graphics, add new power ups, and make it four player. The games fun, but its not a true next gen Mario.

NES up-port confirmed. They used the same Koopas and everything.

It's absolutely true. I stood next to it for a few minutes. Making sure that it would not say anything at all ............ and then the MOMENT id say something, it'd say goodbye to me in plesio-speak.

If you touch (or rub) Plessie with your..........."touchpen" he/she will give you coins :p

This is amazing. Thanks for the info. I have to try this out, that's so cool.

ffdgh

4 posts at once?
KuGsj.gif

Anyhoo finally ordered a wii u and am now waiting for best buy to ship it.

Okay this may be a stupid question but: What's your favorite level?

To me it's 6-2 "Spooky Seasick Wreck" (at the moment). The music, the rain, the atmosphere´...so gooood.

Oidisco

Ok, I'm starting to make progress on Champion Road. The Chargin Chuck section basically down muscle memory now, I'm finally getting past the beat-block section with some regularity and the next section isn't too bad as long as you don't make any stupid mistakes.

I seriously love this.

Also I'm not sure why, but I think Switchboard Falls (the autumn level) might be my favourite course. Something about the music, the level design and stlyle, coupled with perfect difficulty makes it really shine. Plus it was the 1st time a Green Star was really difficult to reach.

On the flipside, Shiftier Boo Mansion and that Savannah level are probably my least favourite. Mansion really frustrated me and Savannah was really bland and boring.

maxcriden

4 posts at once?
KuGsj.gif

Anyhoo finally ordered a wii u and am now waiting for best buy to ship it.

Yeah, I should have just put them all in one post. I guess I was catching up on the thread and just got excited!

Anyway, you're going to love your Wii U. What else are you getting with it? I assume this is the WWHD or M/L bundle?

Okay this may be a stupid question but: What's your favorite level?

To me it's 6-2 "Spooky Seasick Wreck" (at the moment). The music, the rain, the atmosphere´...so gooood.

78 seconds. I think that's about as fast as I'm ever going to be on this stage.

4-3, Beep Block Skyway. I love all music themed levels in videogames.

Great choices. I really loved both of those, SSW for the atmosphere and BBS for just the fun musicality of it. I'm really not sure what mine would be yet. I really like 4-5, Spike's Lost City. Great atmosphere and really reminds me of a SMG (or was it SMG2?) level. I can't think of which one exactly, but there was one really similar to it in one of those games.
Bowser-1, Spiky Spiky Bridge is pretty awesome. The rain is incredible looking

P.S. denshuu, I accept your challenge! I'll see if I can beat your time. ;)

ffdgh

Yeah, I should have just put them all in one post. I guess I was catching up on the thread and just got excited!

Anyway, you're going to love your Wii U. What else are you getting with it? I assume this is the WWHD or M/L bundle?

M/L. Figured I'd get those 2 out the way...and to hopefully get a more enjoyable experience than nsmb2. It was fun but way too easy lol.

maxcriden

M/L. Figured I'd get those 2 out the way...and to hopefully get a more enjoyable experience than nsmb2. It was fun but way too easy lol.

You're in for a treat, with NSMBU Challenge Mode in particular. I'm still working on some of those. I'm not sure I would recommend playing NSMBU/NSLU at the same time as 3DW, it might make those games seem like they have a lot less to them. I hope you will be trying Pikmin 3 and Nintendo Land. Toki Tori 2+, The Cave, and Bit.Trip Runner on the eShop are awesome too.

ffdgh

You're in for a treat, with NSMBU Challenge Mode in particular. I'm still working on some of those. I'm not sure I would recommend playing NSMBU/NSLU at the same time as 3DW, it might make those games seem like they have a lot less to them. I hope you will be trying Pikmin 3 and Nintendo Land. Toki Tori 2+, The Cave, and Bit.Trip Runner on the eShop are awesome too.

No worries im easy to please as long as I'm enjoying the game.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
god damn at
multiple Bowsercats
trying to scratch my arse. King Kong meets Godzilla meets Rampage meets brilliance!

and these green stars...where the heck are they lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Final final world has been slain.

nWYwNx9.jpg

Still seem to be missing 5 stamps, I'm going to guess those come from getting all flags with each character...which is a little too much for me so I think I'm done. The most tragic thing ever happened on the last level,
I spent too long figuring out the walljump part. I cleared the boost on my first attempt and ran out of time in the damn thank you pipe.

Boogiepop

Final final world has been slain.

nWYwNx9l.jpg

Still seem to be missing 5 stamps, I'm going to guess those come from getting all flags with each character...which is a little too much for me so I think I'm done. The most tragic thing ever happened on the last level,
I spent too long figuring out the walljump part. I cleared the boost on my first attempt and ran out of time in the damn thank you pipe.

This randomly reminds me. I was finding that part annoying until I realized
you can just ground pound those spike-hat ants to death from above.
It takes a little time, but I found it to be worth it to guarantee I wouldn't get hit.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
At what point does the game start showing who you've finished a level with in the scores screen?

because i'm going back to world 1 - 4 to try and 100% them and it doesn't show that yet...

for reference sake of where i'm up to,
I'm currently working my way towards the 210 stars required to unlock the bowser statue in star world

Thought I might as well post my clear times through World 4 to see how I compare to everyone.

iZyRJOOzqmq8m.jpg

ikUh2NoUkDrNu.jpg

ibyLCgAb8nKfne.jpg

iyT4bMTQ03d0Y.jpg

I really wish there was leaderboards (unless I'm completely missing them).

Kyzon

Just finished the final level with the gf.
she be peach, i be
rosalina

no powerups used.

I'd like a full game of levels near this difficulty actually. It was amazingly fun speed running through.

Wow, just beat
cat Bowser
and it was pretty incredible from a visual perspective.

Are there anymore worlds after
the one you take a ship up to after beating cat bowser?
Wont get to play much again for a few days, just curious.

This might sound silly, but is there any way to set the Pro Controller as Player One when playing solo? I get a little irked seeing the GamePad mapped to Player One automatically on the character select screen. It's not a big deal to me, but I'd like an answer of sorts.

Multiplayer is tremendously fun, but I can't help but get a little mad when the person using the GamePad takes forever just to get back to the map screen. I'm impatient when it comes to Mario, lol. Other than that, I've landed on World 5. Game is really good, in every aspect. Some levels killed us off a lot, which I wasn't expecting.

rnaud

Stupid question about the end of the extra levels

There is a giant stone at the end of World Flower, in the middle of all the stages. Is it useful for something? There are icons of stars, stamp and flagpole on it so I guess it might be "unlocked"? Thanks!

greg400

Banned
Stupid question about the end of the extra levels

There is a giant stone at the end of World Flower, in the middle of all the stages. Is it useful for something? There are icons of stars, stamp and flagpole on it so I guess it might be "unlocked"? Thanks!
Collect/achieve all of those things in every level for a surprise (it's worth it).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
For being such a high profile game, this OT sure doesnt move that fast.

Anyways, I only have a few stars left in
flower world
and then its on to
crown world!
. A bit sad that its already almost over and that its probably a few year untill next game of this quality comes out - but then I reminded myself I still have Zelda unopened! What a december Nintendo gave us :)

Robin64

Man, people who think going it's a grind to go back through all the levels as other characters bum me out. I can see how it might seem really daunting, but just do a few a day. It does mean, after all, you get to continue playing Super Mario 3D World. That can't be a bad thing!

Try and set record times while you're at it, too.

gotoadgo

Alright, I'm on it! Everything done until World-6, argh
I don't know how you move on to the next level without getting everything. It irks me to no end if they flag isn't yellow, there's no green star on the world flag pole or I missed the stamp. I simply CANNOT do the next level until it's all done.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Man, people who think going it's a grind to go back through all the levels as other characters bum me out. I can see how it might seem really daunting, but just do a few a day. It does mean, after all, you get to continue playing Super Mario 3D World. That can't be a bad thing!

Agreed. When I miss a star, stamp or gold flag, I usually take the opportunity to replay the level with Luigi, Toad or Peach - depending on which character I think would be interesting or fun to play that particular level with. :)

If you're so obsessed with getting the five stars that you feel it's a chore, there's something wrong with your approach to it

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I always play through each level once on the initial playthrough. Gives me a nice excuse to revisit the level later.

I don't understand...the desire to want to play the entire game 4 fuckin' times just to get an extra star or five stamps on your profile.

Like...what? That's a level of dedication I don't think I have. Or you just don't have anything else to play/do >_>

This is the first Mario game since they've added the file stars where I've not got the fifth star because the criteria for it is just plain laborious.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I did replay 3D Land
with Luigi
though, both because it was fun, but also partly because I'm a star whore :(

It has become a tradition to get those five stars in 3D Marios now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There's a secret sixth star if you have Mario's flag on the first level, Luigi's for the second, Peach's for the third and so on and repeat this till the end.

The order is based on how levels are displayed on the progress screen.

JoeM86

There's a secret sixth star if you have Mario's flag on the first level, Luigi's for the second, Peach's for the third and so on and repeat this till the end.

The order is based on how levels are displayed on the progress screen.

What? Do you have a picture of this?

Unless you're being facetious. Always hard to tell on the Internet :p

Edit: On re-reading, you clearly are being facetious. I'll get my coat :p

Sendou

So any suggestions before I pull the trigger with this:

I was thinking of making a Super Mario 3D World Speedrun leaderboards thread. Since the actual game doesn't have tools to compare your time to the world this way we could at least see who's the fastest cat on GAF. So basically what I was thinking was creating Top 10 for each level. Ties would be naturally allowed since this would be using in-game time. So holding the fastest time would earn you 10 points, second fastest 9 points etc. Continuing this tenth fastest time would earn you 1 point. I would then gather an almighty leaderboards gathering your points across all levels. Times would be verificated posting a screenshot of your stats screen on Miiverse and linking that to GAF.

If anyone wants to make a banner that would be cool too :)

Porcile

I'm surprised my game time so far is only around 10 hours. I'm up to the
Bowser World Boss level.
It feels like I've been playing it way longer, but I suppose because the levels are short it's quite deceptive. I've been replaying the opening world getting the stuff I missed. Now that I'm way more familiar with the game, I've got a new appreciation for the opening world. It's nowhere near as strong as the later worlds but it's still a shitload of fun. Better than most games can muster that's for sure.

maxcriden

Totally! This is why we're planning on doing no coin/enemy/power-up challenges with each character, there are definitely ways to shake it up to keep it fresh.

maxcriden

So any suggestions before I pull the trigger with this:

I was thinking of making a Super Mario 3D World Speedrun leaderboards thread. Since the actual game doesn't have tools to compare your time to the world this way we could at least see who's the fastest cat on GAF. So basically what I was thinking was creating Top 10 for each level. Ties would be naturally allowed since this would be using in-game time. So holding the fastest time would earn you 10 points, second fastest 9 points etc. Continuing this tenth fastest time would earn you 1 point. I would then gather an almighty leaderboards gathering your points across all levels. Times would be verificated posting a screenshot of your stats screen on Miiverse and linking that to GAF.

If anyone wants to make a banner that would be cool too :)

Heck yeah, Sendou, that would be amazing!

BTW still sorry about having to tell you about your adoption. :(

Zalman

Just started playing yesterday. I'm at World 5 and I have all Green Stars and Golden Flags so far. Really awesome game. Definitely a GOTY nominee.

Ozorov

First Mario-game I play since Mario 64. I've just completed
Boss Blitz. Man I thought it was pretty hard!
Great game! Would love some online coop. But its Nintendo I guess...

Top Bottom