• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Linkhero1

It probably says more about me than it does about the game, but I'm mid-way through the Mushroom world and I've just be demolishing everything that has come before (usually getting all the starts and the stamp in one run). The challenge is completely non-existent. I think I'm getting to the point where just completing a Mario course is completely trivial for me.

I miss the sense of place that the prior 3D Mario games had (even the Galaxy games). I no longer feel like I'm exploring a world. I liked that feeling because it made the experience of playing the game about more than just completing the course.

The sheer-creativity here is incredible, don't get me wrong. I suppose I'm just less interested in repeatedly showing that I can clear the obstacles (having done that in Mario games since I was born) and more interested in just moving through a space that I feel a part of. For example, seeing a distant ledge and wondering if I'll ever be able to reach it. 3D World rarely offers that feeling. When it does, it's usually fleeting. I will have reached that hidden ledge moments after realising it's there.

Minor quibbles. Extraordinarily creative, but maybe the first signs of EAD Tokyo-style Mario fatigue, on my part. It's becoming a little bit routine.

I was like this up until I got to
Flower World
, but I did enjoy the platforming and didn't find it to be trivial for the most part.

maxcriden

Super Mario World entered my view at the same time cutesy dinosaurs brought Barney to mind first and foremost, and that is all sorts of lame. I think I was also the only gradeschool boy with complete indifference to dinosaurs in general.

That passed, but then they gave him that voice in the N64 games. Jesus christ.

Always felt clunky to control in every game I've ever played with him, too.

Ah, there is so much more to Yoshi than Barney, though. For example I've been playing Dream Team recently and Yoshis are vacationing on the island the game takes place on, which leads to all kinds of fascinating interactions with the Yoshi populace. Plus, have you played NSMBU? It's full of adorable baby Yoshis! If I sound a bit Yoshobsessed, keep in mind I was standing at the urinal in my office today wondering if it would be in poor taste to name one's child Yoshi (I decided it would, although I was displeased with my conclusion.)

mldmimage5.jpg

Plus, SMG2 has a level called Hot-Stepping Dash Pepper. It's super tricky.
You're going to love it.

Yoshi-and-Boo-yoshi-25771908-500-400.jpg

Yoshi said:
(I'm so cute Sixfortyfive! Give me another chance! Here, try this delicious fruit! Just kidding, I already ate it! Hee hee!)

http://www.midishrine.com/midipp/n64/Yoshi__s_Story/title_screen.mid

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just play at your own pace and likings

Personally I like to play one world 100 % in each 2-3 hours sitting, I replay levels instantly to explore everything, and try out different stuff. A slow burner and completionist

Then some like to just get through it fast, beat Bowser, do post game and then go back re-exploring and finding collectables

It's also pretty fun to play with friends or family in between

Lol, that other person sounds like me.

Anyways, I have found more or less all green stars and stamps in the first eigth worlds now, but havent found a single secret exit. Is there anyway to know where to look for them like in Super Mario World?

Morfeo

Entrecôte;92296714 said:
Well just got game today after getting WiiU yesterday. On third world.

Impressed with the GFX upgrade, and it is fun to play.

But it isn't really a Galaxy class game. The levels seem more linear and the scope feels smaller somehow. It is a very promising look into what the next Galaxy class game might be like though, I'm your umber one fan.

What game is your avatar? Looks familiar, but cant really put my finger on it.

zroid

Banned
Lol, that other person sounds like me.

Anyways, I have found more or less all green stars and stamps in the first eigth worlds now, but havent found a single secret exit. Is there anyway to know where to look for them like in Super Mario World?

I don't think so. They are pretty inconsequential though, and I don't think you get credit for finding them either. Bit strange since recent Mario games have taken secret exits more seriously.

Probably fun easter eggs to look for like the hidden luigis, though.

Entrecôte;92296714 said:
Well just got game today after getting WiiU yesterday. On third world.

Impressed with the GFX upgrade, and it is fun to play.

But it isn't really a Galaxy class game. The levels seem more linear and the scope feels smaller somehow. It is a very promising look into what the next Galaxy class game might be like though, I'm your umber one fan.
Try not to compare it to Galaxy so much

World 1
tumblr_lq924kjRC91qj0zk3o1_250.gif

World 2
ounym.gif

World 3,4,5,6,7
1em13.jpgcaczt.gif

10gvO.gif

World 8+
nLwx0xb.gif

I'm playing through Super Mario Galaxy 2 (for the first time - don't know why I waited so long) while waiting for Super Mario 3D World to arrive... and my god, Galaxy 2 is amazing. It's gonna be difficult to top it, but I can't wait to play some 3D World. :)

I finally played both Galaxy games last year. And I ..just...I can't even begin to explain how awesome they were. It's funny, because I thought (and even stated at one time on GAF here!) they were overwrought, super dramatic attempts to make Mario more 'epic' (in that generic-actiony-way that games were moving towards), with the crazy orchestrated soundtrack and things like that. I couldn't have been more disinterested in them, but in a thread about MUSIC, of all things, GAF convinced me to try the Galaxy games.

I have never been so wrong about a game in my life.

(Back to 3D World)
Champion's Road is amazing. And hard. And I want to throw my gamepad at the TV. That Beat Block segment is annoying. But I love it. Why must you do this to me, Mario?!

At least the music in Crown world...:D.

Morfeo

I don't think so. They are pretty inconsequential though, and I don't think you get credit for finding them either. Bit strange since recent Mario games have taken secret exits more seriously.

Probably fun easter eggs to look for like the hidden luigis, though.

Thanks, just used a guide to see which levels they are in, and found the first one - pretty disappointing to be sure :(

So I used Noteworthy Composer to take a look at the sheet music to this midi that recreates the Hisstocrat theme.

Apparently during that "breakdown" that starts about 21 seconds into the song, if you count percussion, this song has approximately five different bass lines. There also looks to be syncopation between some of these bass lines.

I love this song so much!

Thank you for posting that! I have been looking for that song forever on Youtube.

maxcriden

These poor kids with Miiverse as their only outlet to discuss parental discord.... :(

Tangent, but do you guys get a lot of younger Miiverse players trying to friend you and Wii U Chat with you? I've gotten a bunch of requests and ignore them...seems like there are a lot of kids out there whose parents aren't really monitoring their internet use and who are trying to make friends with just whoever online and video chat them. I'm sure this is the kind of thing that has the big N up at night worrying.

I'm hoping the kid's parents are just fighting in the game. Tonight my wife and I were trying to push each other off the platforms in one of the levels and my 5 year old told us to stop fighting.

Mistle

Nearing end of World 6. Lots of fun so far, but it doesn't really "stick" with me. I can generally play a few levels and be done with it. I'm not thinking back on certain areas and being like "wow, that was really cool!" like I did with the Galaxy games and such.

The game is fantastic, but is still just the 3D Land sequel I anticipated I guess. Lots of fun but a bit on the bland side, especially knowing what Mario is capable of.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
~80 hours in and 100%ed the game twice. I think it's time to shelve it for a few weeks.

So I finally got around to ordering Super Mario Galaxy 2 just now, trying to recall the exact reasons why I skipped it the first time around. I was pretty sure that I was just busy with other games and obligations at the time, and that might have been true, but the real reason just came back to me: Yoshi is on the cover. Man do I hate that character.

Looking forward to the game though.

Oh wow, surprised you haven't played it yet. I'm interested to hear what you think overall, though I don't think Yoshi will do much for you if you already aren't a fan as most of his levels were pretty lame to me aside from one or two instances.

CassSept

I don't know if I have it in me to finish this one. 60 lives later tonight and I can't even get past the sound blocks.

It does get much easier after that (at least for a while), I lost a ridiculous amount of lives there before figuring out the perfect pattern and then finished the next two parts on respectively 3rd and 2nd attempt (and the one death on the 4th part was a dumb brain fart, it's really easy). The next one, can't say yet but looks fun.

Morfeo

I like the toad brigade idea, should deffinitely be the next spinoff series imo!

Btw, got to flower world yesterday, and that final level there is destoying me. those jumps after the middle pole seems more or less impossible to do with mario :(

afoni

Banned
Took my save file on a usb and brought it round to my friend's house for some co-op and I would up swinging his cat by the tail and smashing HIS Wii U pad with the cat.

I think I just need to stop playing this game.

CrisKre

I just want to say that the lighting engine Nintendo is using here is astounding.

This game is mario 3 done in 3d. I wasnt expecting that. It really brings back the charm, variety and design finese. I don't know how Nintendo did it but they accomplished bridging 2d and 3d mario at long last. Bravo.

I just want to day that the lighting engine Nintendo is using here is astounding.

This game is mario 3 done in 3d. I want expecting that. It really brings back the charm, variety and design finese. I don't know how Nintendo did it but they accomplished bridging 2d and 3d mario at long last. Bravo.

Yep. I have the same feeling. If you would have asked me in 1992 how i would imagine a 3D Mario it would have been 3D world.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Just made it to
Peepa's Fog Bog
! Man, it's like combining my two favorite themes!
Christmas and spooky shit :D

Usually I'm not one for super hard post-game content because, frankly, I'm not very good at videogames. Regardless, this is all quality stuff!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just made it to
Peepa's Fog Bog
! Man, it's like combining my two favorite themes!
Christmas and spooky shit :D

Usually I'm not one for super hard post-game content because, frankly, I'm not very good at videogames. Regardless, this is all quality stuff!

does the name of that first level not weird anyone else out?

all I can think of are grog bogs.

or is that just an aussie thing...

Top Bottom