• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

ffdgh

First Mario-game I play since Mario 64. I've just completed
Boss Blitz. Man I thought it was pretty hard!
Great game! Would love some online coop. But its Nintendo I guess...

Your next challenge lies ahead if you're up for it....Gotta get all the green stars, stamps and golden flagpoles tho.

Ozorov

Your next challenge lies ahead if you're up for it....Gotta get all the green stars, stamps and golden flagpoles tho.

Just bought Rayman Legends so I will give it a try now! Maybe I will come back to 3D World later to get the ones you mention :).

rnaud

I don't know how you move on to the next level without getting everything. It irks me to no end if they flag isn't yellow, there's no green star on the world flag pole or I missed the stamp. I simply CANNOT do the next level until it's all done.

I played with friends for a lot of the game and it's harder to keep that level of expectation when they run wherever they want haha

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This is the first Mario game since they've added the file stars where I've not got the fifth star because the criteria for it is just plain laborious.
And I've already gotten 5 stars twice. >_>

Addendum: You actually don't have to beat every single stage with every character to get the 5th star. I noticed I already had it before clearing Champion's Road with everyone, so I'm not sure exactly what the criteria is.

Timeaisis

So to unlock
Crown
, I know I need all stars and Stamps...but my question is:

Do I need the 4-5 "hidden" stamps that you get from completing all the levels with each character? And also, do I need to get to the top of the flag pole on all levels through Flower world?

AGoodODST

Finally finished Mystery House Marathon.

It's funny, most of the stage is actually pretty easy, the only one I had trouble with was catching the damn rabbit, and when I failed to do it I'd have to start over.

Linkhero1

So to unlock
Crown
, I know I need all stars and Stamps...but my question is:

Do I need the 4-5 "hidden" stamps that you get from completing all the levels with each character? And also, do I need to get to the top of the flag pole on all levels through Flower world?

You need
all golden flag poles, stamps, and stars from World 1 to Flower World. You don't have to complete every level with each character.

Zing

Banned
The game has broken me for now.
Champion's Road and Mystery House Marathon
are going to give me an ulcer. I'll come back to the game in a few days.

There's a secret sixth star if you have Mario's flag on the first level, Luigi's for the second, Peach's for the third and so on and repeat this till the end.

The order is based on how levels are displayed on the progress screen.

But when do I get the Wood Beam?

Linkhero1

Cool, thanks! Almost there! Just need to clear out World
Mushroom
No problem.
The game has broken me for now.
Champion's Road and Mystery House Marathon
are going to give me an ulcer. I'll come back to the game in a few days.

This is where I'm at right now. I'm trying to finish
Champion's Road with only Mario and no powerups. So far I'm failing at every attempt.

Timeaisis

So any suggestions before I pull the trigger with this:

I was thinking of making a Super Mario 3D World Speedrun leaderboards thread. Since the actual game doesn't have tools to compare your time to the world this way we could at least see who's the fastest cat on GAF. So basically what I was thinking was creating Top 10 for each level. Ties would be naturally allowed since this would be using in-game time. So holding the fastest time would earn you 10 points, second fastest 9 points etc. Continuing this tenth fastest time would earn you 1 point. I would then gather an almighty leaderboards gathering your points across all levels. Times would be verificated posting a screenshot of your stats screen on Miiverse and linking that to GAF.

If anyone wants to make a banner that would be cool too :)

I'm very much down. Any chance of giving this glorious game replayability is great in my book.

I wonder if there's a way to tell if you gathered green stars in a level you already got them in...I don''t think so, but that would be a cool twist as well. Who can finish with all 3 collected the fastest.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Champion's Road with only Mario and no powerups. So far I'm failing at every attempt.

I'll cheat it with Tanooki suits to beat it with everyone, but yeah, I have to do it "right" first. And I feel like I'm getting close.

Linkhero1

I'll cheat it with Tanooki suits to beat it with everyone, but yeah, I have to do it "right" first. And I feel like I'm getting close.

I was so close to getting the Tanooki suit for this level, but after my 100th death I told myself I'm going to at least make it to the first green star with just Mario.

Sinthetic

Absolutely loving this. Taking my time with it, doing 1 World a night. I'm up to 6 now with all 100% items, flags etc...

The music is incredibly good. These jazzy compositions are just so damn awesome.

maxcriden

First Mario-game I play since Mario 64. I've just completed
Boss Blitz. Man I thought it was pretty hard!
Great game! Would love some online coop. But its Nintendo I guess...

Amazing to think you have the Galaxy and NSMB games to play.

Just bought Rayman Legends so I will give it a try now! Maybe I will come back to 3D World later to get the ones you mention :).

If you like Legends I would definitely recommend Origins, which was on Wii. I would not recommend playing the Back to Origins versions of these levels, as they are significantly easier than those in the original game.

maxcriden

But when do I get the Wood Beam?

You need to use Stop'N'Swop.

I'm looking forward to trying this level without any restrictions, and then trying it with no coins, powerups or touching enemies... trying to squeeze every last possible ounce of enjoyment out of the game. :)

CassSept

its easy once you get the timing down and learn you could wall jump to the last step

Alternatively you can do it with small jumps (
when you are next to the last two double beep blocks jump on the first pink one just about as it is to light up, quickly do little jumps to the second pink and the first blue, jump back to the second pink one and repeat, jump on the first blue just about as it is to light up and quickly with small leaps -> second blue -> green star
). After that it gets much easier until the end.

I actually got tired of
Champion Road. I almost cleared it today but failed at 4/5 keys. Rage. The part with ant troopers/water is very easy and boring and it takes too much time. Up until the boost section there is a million ways to die and every single brain fart or control misalignment (Jesus EAD, High Jump, why? Worst move in Mario history) results in a death and more time wasted. Getting up to boost section takes 4 minutes in a successful run and with every death that far more and more time is wasted on repeating previous sections yet again yet again and pushing yourself through that dumb 1.5-minute long uneventful boring ant/water section. Honestly it's one decent run now, but I'm getting bored. This could have been the perfect 3D Mario level but ant/water section really annoys me (even more than it should, admittedly).

NEO0MJ

Just unlocked
Champion's Road, I'm absolutely terrified. I'm gonna try to clear it without the Tanuki Suit but if I die too much I'll use it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't understand...the desire to want to play the entire game 4 fuckin' times just to get an extra star or five stamps on your profile.

Like...what? That's a level of dedication I don't think I have. Or you just don't have anything else to play/do >_>

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

I mean, I really like the game and all...but simply replaying everything I already did to that extent is too much this quickly. I already was playing as to not overobsess with collectibles until the end, I went for them pretty hard as I saw them but if I beat a level and missed something I just moved on. Doing it like this for me made getting everything I missed to unlock the crown world still fun as it was discovering new content. Now there is not a huge difference playing the levels now and it's too fresh in my head. Maybe it's something down the line to try as I just randomized character through the game anyway(and only got mario like 5 times because the grace of the game realized he sux) but for now I still have a lot of great games I missed through the year to get to.

greg400

Banned
Pro-tip to everyone complaining about replaying the levels:
Step 1) get multiple controllers
2) get to the end of a level
3) activate said controllers
4) get the balloons to float over the flag pole
5) press the jump button on newly activated controllers to pop the bubbles(if you miss be ready to control them)
6) jump on it with your first player
7) remove the extra characters in overworld by pressing + then -
8) Repeat

Really doesn't take that long. Took me 33-34 hours to 100% this game

taybul

Just unlocked
Champion's Road, I'm absolutely terrified. I'm gonna try to clear it without the Tanuki Suit but if I die too much I'll use it.

I had the same plan but "die too much" has lost all meaning to me. Still gunning for it power-up-less after I don't know how many deaths. It's all about consistency. I feel like I could play the first few sections with my eyes closed.

Linkhero1

its easy once you get the timing down and learn you could wall jump to the last step

I always die at the part where the red and blue platforms disappear and appear. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to clear the level with a Tanooki suit but I want to avoid it.

maxcriden

the wii u browser has a really hard time with the frames on minus, i have to tap upload about 10 times before it registers. anybody have any tips?

I think I've had the same experience. I don't have any tips unfortunately as that does seem to be the best sites for uploads on the whole.

zroid

Banned
took me 50 lives before i got the first green star in Champion's Road.

...i feel like I'm gonna be here a while

the wii u browser has a really hard time with the frames on minus, i have to tap upload about 10 times before it registers. anybody have any tips?

haven't had any problems with it personally. umm, I recommend making a gallery specifically for wii u screens, then keeping a tab open there, and use the "click here to add photos" button on the left side of the page. makes it easier to retrieve the images too.

Man, I OD'd on this game with my friend. Single player just can't compare with the majesty of two player. It's like a completely different game with the light rivalry and competition. I almost don't even want to play it single player since it's a bit sad I don't have that other player to collaborate with.

Miiow

Banned
There was something in the mailbox today ...

Jesus fuck, if this is not the most beautiful game I've ever seen!

Rixxan

Cant express how badly I want to play this game.

Just cant justify the $360 purchase. I know there will be other WiiU games I would want to play later down the road, but released at any rate that would make this worth it for me.

Damnit.

corn_fest

Pro-tip to everyone complaining about replaying the levels:
Step 1) get multiple controllers
2) get to the end of a level
3) activate said controllers
4) get the balloons to float over the flag pole
5) press the jump button on newly activated controllers to pop the bubbles(if you miss be ready to control them)
6) jump on it with your first player
7) remove the extra characters in overworld by pressing + then -
8) Repeat

Really doesn't take that long. Took me 33-34 hours to 100% this game

A lot of effort for a star on a save file that no one will ever see.

Linkhero1

Just cant justify the $360 purchase. I know there will be other WiiU games I would want to play later down the road, but released at any rate that would make this worth it for me.

Damnit.

If there's one game on the Wii U that I would consider a system seller, it would be this game. There's a lot more to check out on the Wii U as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I always die at the part where the red and blue platforms disappear and appear. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to clear the level with a Tanooki suit but I want to avoid it.

First and second part are easy, once I figured each out I don't think I've died on them at all. That last part with the steps is probably the hardest part of the level that I've seen though.

First part is simple, long jump while the first blue strip is gone, then jump diagonally to the red, then to the other blue, and long jump to safety from there.

Second part is slightly trickier but still not difficult if you know how to do it. Use the blocks on the right side, once you get to the third layer, jump all the way to the furthest red block, and quickly long jump to the blue ones and hop to safety.

Third section is where the timing gets really tight. First few are easy, but for the doubled up ones you want to get a running jump and go right when the blocks switch. If you time it right, you'll jump through the appearing block, and as you do you'll bounce higher than normal which will get you enough of a boost to get you to the next block. Then repeat and jump to safety. You can also do a running jump without that extra boost, but the timing is equally difficult. It's also harder to do it that way if you mess up and have to jump back a block and try again.

Linkhero1

First and second part are easy, once I figured each out I don't think I've died on them at all. That last part with the steps is probably the hardest part of the level that I've seen though.

First part is simple, long jump while the first blue strip is gone, then jump diagonally to the red, then to the other blue, and long jump to safety from there.

Second part is slightly trickier but still not difficult if you know how to do it. Use the blocks on the right side, once you get to the third layer, jump all the way to the furthest red block, and quickly long jump to the blue ones and hop to safety.

Third section is where the timing gets really tight. First few are easy, but for the doubled up ones you want to get a running jump and go right when the blocks switch. If you time it right, you'll jump through the appearing block, and as you do you'll bounce higher than normal which will get you enough of a boost to get you to the next block. Then repeat and jump to safety. You can also do a running jump without that extra boost, but the timing is equally difficult. It's also harder to do it that way if you mess up and have to jump back a block and try again.
Thanks. I'm gonna try it out once I'm home. My timing is usually off most of the time. I die at the second part. Glad to know the third part is the hardest part :(

maxcriden

Damnit.

You should be able to knock at least $50 off of that if you go the used/eBay/Craiglist route. (Be careful if you use Craiglist, though, what with people getting killed over PS4s.) Plus, keep in mind you're getting two free games with the console if you opt for the Mario/Luigi bundle. NSLU is really like a full game and not DLC. It's plenty long. Pikmin 3 is incredible. Nintendo Land is dirt cheap. There are a lot of great, very cheap eShop games. Just think of it this way, do you eat out at all? If you don't eat out for the next 10-20 times you normally would, you can get the Wii U for free. I can go on... ;)

border

Is there a mostly spoiler-free guide to what I need to do to unlock stuff? It looks like I'm almost completely finished with the main campaign.

First attempt on the final stage I got to the section with the pirhana plant and the fuzzy before just derping a jump

Next couple attempts I kept botching the sound blocks

Attempt 5 I got to what I think is the final section before choking hard core and running off the edge -.- gonna take a break and try it again later tonight. Don't think this is as hard as 3d lands final final stage but it's still awesome.

greg400

Banned
A lot of effort for a star on a save file that no one will ever see.

False, you can share the save file on Miiverse and get the final stamps that you can use.

Also completing the levels again really isn't much of an effort as it's really just improving your ghost data and you don't have to pick anything up as everything would be already collected. Adding those controllers in takes all of 10 seconds(at the most).

Top Bottom