• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

El Odio

Banned
I've managed to beat
Champion's Road
as Mario without power ups once so far. My method is pretty much
-sprint right at the start and jump off the second octogoomba on the moving platform where the coins are lined up, wait for the two platforms to line up and then roll jump to the pipe.
-If you run and high jump you should be able to bounce from fire bro to fire bro to the top of the next part
-roll jump onto the next part and short jump onto the CC to bounce to the safe area and then short jump bounce off the next set of CCs for an easy crossing.
-For the beat blocks at the start just run in a circle for the speed boost and then jump onto the blue ones right before they appear then hop to the red ones then blue and roll jump to the safe area.
-Use the blocks on the right as a staircase and make sure you jump on the elevated corner on the top ones then roll jump to the other set(I'm pretty sure luigi and toad can just jump to safe area but don't hold me to that)
-For the last section just jump block to block for the first part but for the last pair jump from blue back to red and then blue again to give you enough time to get to the star
Other half is pretty easy and doesn't require any special tricks other than staying inwards at the start of the dash panels and moving outwards as you progress.

First and second part are easy, once I figured each out I don't think I've died on them at all. That last part with the steps is probably the hardest part of the level that I've seen though.

First part is simple, long jump while the first blue strip is gone, then jump diagonally to the red, then to the other blue, and long jump to safety from there.

Second part is slightly trickier but still not difficult if you know how to do it. Use the blocks on the right side, once you get to the third layer, jump all the way to the furthest red block, and quickly long jump to the blue ones and hop to safety.

Third section is where the timing gets really tight. First few are easy, but for the doubled up ones you want to get a running jump and go right when the blocks switch. If you time it right, you'll jump through the appearing block, and as you do you'll bounce higher than normal which will get you enough of a boost to get you to the next block. Then repeat and jump to safety. You can also do a running jump without that extra boost, but the timing is equally difficult. It's also harder to do it that way if you mess up and have to jump back a block and try again.

Finally beat
Champion Road
yesterday with Toad, no powerups. I nearly fell out of my chair I was so happy -- I was seriously starting to think I was physically incapable of doing it! Absolutely amazing game, and probably my favorite of the year.

The part with the
red and blue blocks
was by far the hardest part during the early going. The method that worked most consistently for me for the third section (though likely not as fast as your method) is as follows:

For the double block portion:
1. jump the double red block in two jumps;
2. the moment you land on the first blue block, jump back onto the second red block while at the same time
3. switching the direction your character is facing toward the blue blocks (took me forever to realize you could do this);
4. as soon as you land on the second red block, get a bit of a running start and jump onto the first blue block which should be on the verge of reappearing;
5. clear the blue double block in two jumps.

Using this method, I achieved a 99% success rate, give or take a percentage point on account of hand cramps :/ Hope this helps!

Edit: What el odio said much more succinctly lol

I was just thinking of a new mode that would be great. A vs mode, for up to four players. It would have different arenas to compete in. These would be small stages, with various platforming elements. Each stage would have different items and power ups to use. The last player standing gets to run to the center to collect their green star. The levels keep rotating, until a player reaches three green stars.

Can't seem to get past level Star-9
Cosmic Cannon Cluster
. I get to the part where you have to
time your jumps up the column of cannons
and just cannot get the timing down. Any tips on when I have to hit the jump button or what I have to do?

Dr.Hadji

Man, I OD'd on this game with my friend. Single player just can't compare with the majesty of two player. It's like a completely different game with the light rivalry and competition. I almost don't even want to play it single player since it's a bit sad I don't have that other player to collaborate with.

Multiplayer is sooo good. Can't stress this enough. If people are a little turned off by it thanks to experiences with the New Mario Bros Wii/U, I'd suggest people give this multiplayer a try. It really is a different beast. The 3d plane and different character abilities really frees up movement, making the whole of the experience less hectic,. But beyond the functionality of the mode, the most surprising thing to me about my multiplayer experience was how everyone playing independently and all at once engaged in the, for the lack of a better term, magical moments of the game. Its like those family get together commercials, where there is nothing but chaos. But when the Christmas turkey hits the table everyone instantly comes together to share in the moment. That's 3D World multiplayer.

I said it earlier in the thread, but whoever decided to make the run button the "pick up your friends" button in multiplayer is Satan incarnate.

EulaCapra

Cosmic Cannon Cluster
and just cannot get the timing down. Any tips on when I have to hit the jump button or what I have to do?
Sucks monkey balls. I only got it right once. I need tips for that too.

So I just stored and used an extra Cat Suit for that.

Linkhero1

Man, I OD'd on this game with my friend. Single player just can't compare with the majesty of two player. It's like a completely different game with the light rivalry and competition. I almost don't even want to play it single player since it's a bit sad I don't have that other player to collaborate with.
I played one level with my brother and it felt like an entirely different game to me. I want to replay it with multiple people eventually. I don't have the same issue going back to single player only.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
First attempt on the final stage I got to the section with the pirhana plant and the fuzzy before just derping a jump

Next couple attempts I kept botching the sound blocks

Attempt 5 I got to what I think is the final section before choking hard core and running off the edge -.- gonna take a break and try it again later tonight. Don't think this is as hard as 3d lands final final stage but it's still awesome.

Yeah, if you can get the sound block part I don't think it's too bad. The final part is daunting but if you wrap around to the left at the start, cut back to the middle and then go down the right you can absorb a hit and just jump to the box. I took a screenshot before the final sets to see how bad it would be and I got the three levels beat in 9 lives which surprised me.

3d Land never connected with me much but I want to go back and push more in the post game as I never saw the final level for it. I've heard it's ridiculous.

trix21

Neo Member
Cosmic Cannon Cluster

Stay stationary, do not move left or right and just hold jump in time to hit the first ball, then continue holding jump. This should line up with the two other balls as well without any movement.

Edit: This was while using Mario.

JakeD

haven't had any problems with it personally. umm, I recommend making a gallery specifically for wii u screens, then keeping a tab open there, and use the "click here to add photos" button on the left side of the page. makes it easier to retrieve the images too.

this worked great...thanks

Linkhero1

Stay stationary, do not move left or right and just hold jump in time to hit the first ball, then continue holding jump. This should line up with the two other balls as well without any movement.

I did it this way but I found out that you can still use the cat power up with the cannon to climb up the wall.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I did it this way but I found out that you can still use the cat power up with the cannon to climb up the wall.

Yeah, blocks over your head don't override the power. Might be useful to get the feel of jumping off those down for later levels though.

sqtf.jpg

I really love Mario's and Luigi's models in this game,
what I don't love is how Rosalina has been shrunken down significantly, she looks weird.

Multiplayer is sooo good. Can't stress this enough. If people are a little turned off by it thanks to experiences with the New Mario Bros Wii/U, I'd suggest people give this multiplayer a try. It really is a different beast. The 3d plane and different character abilities really frees up movement, making the whole of the experience less hectic,. But beyond the functionality of the mode, the most surprising thing to me about my multiplayer experience was how everyone playing independently and all at once engaged in the, for the lack of a better term, magical moments of the game. Its like those family get together commercials, where there is nothing but chaos. But when the Christmas turkey hits the table everyone instantly comes together to share in the moment. That's 3D World multiplayer.

I really wish I had a group of like-minded friends to play this with. I tired playing with people were either terrible at videogames or just not into platformers. It was an ok time, but too chaotic (and not in a good way). Really, I just want to clone myself and have a good old four way with Mario.

Ragus

Banned
I'm in World 6 and so far I have collected every green star, but there are some flagpoles and stamps which I have missed.

The question is:
I know that there are 4 extra worlds and I know, that I have to collect all stars, flagpoles and stamps to unlock it the 12th world. But, do I have to do the same to unlock previous 3 worlds? Will green stars be enough?

ffdgh

I'm in World 6 and so far I have collected every green star, but there are some flagpoles and stamps which I have missed.

The question is:
I know that there are 4 extra worlds and I know, that I have to collect all stars, flagpoles and stamps to unlock it the 12th world. But, do I have to do the same to unlock previous 3 worlds? Will green stars be enough?

Yup the green stars are all you need for them.

xandaca

The game's fun, but the 8-directional movement is just horrible. Awful decision by Nintendo, makes movement that little bit less precise than it should be. Anyway, just finished world four with all the stars, stamps and golden flags, generally enjoying things despite the very noticeable step down in vision and quality from the Galaxy games.

The Boat

The game's fun, but the 8-directional movement is just horrible. Awful decision by Nintendo, makes movement that little bit less precise than it should be. Anyway, just finished world four with all the stars, stamps and golden flags, generally enjoying things despite the very noticeable step down in vision and quality from the Galaxy games.
I have to say, just like with 3D land I can't really see the difference. In fact, even 3d land wasn't 8 way, it was proven that it had more levels of sensitivity and apparently depended on the level. I don't doubt it's the same here.

Lijik

CR attempt is closing in on 200 lives and I've only reached the first green star. This level.

Im at the same point myself in terms of progression and lives spent haha
I just cant get one area of the beat block section down. The formation right after the initial long jump one screws me up almost every time

Sendou

In my opinion the controls are incredibly precise. To a point where always when I fail I know it's because I sucked not because the controls screwed me over.

xandaca

I have to say, just like with 3D land I can't really see the difference. In fact, even 3d land wasn't 8 way, it was proven that it had more levels of sensitivity and apparently depended on the level. I don't doubt it's the same here.

It's making the really small adjustments during jumps for me, or aiming fireballs, or anything which requires a small but important degree of accuracy in aiming. Running around is fine, but the frustration when Mario gets sent to his death for not responding to some small adjustment gets annoying.

In my opinion the controls are incredibly precise. To a point where always when I fail I know it's because I sucked not because the controls screwed me over.

It is pretty amazing how great the game controls, even with the digital D-pad.

I think the wall climbing mechanic (Cat-mario) could have felt awkward in the hands of other/ less capable devs.

maxcriden

This is how I feel as well. The game controls incredibly smoothly and I've never had an issue with the controls at all. Any instance where I felt like I wasn't able to judge a jump or landing properly came down to an awkward camera angle and not the controls themselves (and this has only happened once IIRC).

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So my progress maps aren't showing the characters I've beaten the levels with. This happen to anyone else?

Lijik

So my progress maps aren't showing the characters I've beaten the levels with. This happen to anyone else?

This only unlocks once you
unlock the crown world
, otherwise it wont show up. The game does keep track of it all though so when it does show up you dont have to redo anything

Lynd7

Man..
Just got to this level on world 7 where you are constantly hitting those speed pads, its hard.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished everything with Mario. Beating Champion Road was probably the most satisfying gaming accomplishment for me this year. Never again.

Amazing game. Not my favorite game this year (that goes to A Link Between Worlds), but still top 5 material, definitely. Hopefully, NA sales are good, but I kinda doubt it at this point.

Top Bottom