• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

On what I'm assuming is the game's final world now, having a blast. Not sure if I'd put it higher than Galaxy 2, nor does it have the same kind of 'wow' novelty the original Galaxy or SM64 had, but I'm still thinking this is one of my favorite Mario games. Really big surprise given how I felt around E3.

I said it earlier in the thread, but whoever decided to make the run button the "pick up your friends" button in multiplayer is Satan incarnate.
A bit unrelated to your post, but out of curiosity what'd you think of the game all up? Just asking since I know you've said you really didn't like 3DLand nor the direction the 3D games were taking nowadays.

plank

jEy0EMQFHv4Oj.jpg

testing

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I finished the main game last night. There are so many things I'd love to say about it, but there aren't a lot of words that are coming out in a cohesive manner for me right now.

The long and short of it is that I enjoyed it very, very much. It's one of the most cohesive, if not the cohesive, platformers I've played all year so far (as I still have stuff to catch up on like Runner 2). It's certainly not perfect, but it was an incredibly fulfilling experience for me, much like A Link Between Worlds was when I finished that game.

I'll probably post full-length impressions when I finish up most of my exams next week. It's absolutely beautiful, in terms of sound design, music direction, visual direction, and level design. I had tons of fun with it. One of my favourite games of the year.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Defeating Bullies is really satisfying. I want to take on an entire hoard of them.

I was really happy to see them return, I always liked them in 64.

I finished the main game last night. There are so many things I'd love to say about it, but there aren't a lot of words that are coming out in a cohesive manner for me right now.

The long and short of it is that I enjoyed it very, very much. It's one of the most cohesive, if not the cohesive, platformers I've played all year so far (as I still have stuff to catch up on like Runner 2). It's certainly not perfect, but it was an incredibly fulfilling experience for me, much like A Link Between Worlds was when I finished that game.

I'll probably post full-length impressions when I finish up most of my exams next week, but I really would love to write up full impressions for this game. It's absolutely beautiful, in terms of sound design, music direction, visual direction, and level design. I had tons of fun with it. One of my favourite games of the year.

I hope you keep trucking! The post game was meaty and solid.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I still can't beat the last level. I want a game where every level is as hard as the last level. Just getting past one part you never could before is so satisfying.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hope you keep trucking! The post game was meaty and solid.
I certainly will. I'm almost finished (postgame spoilers)
Star World
already. The game opens itself up to replayability very well, especially with the multitude of playstyles you can select in the form of the characters in addition to the powerups they can use in combination with that. Essentially, it somewhat does open up some variance in terms of how you would apply your playstyle to the playstyles given to you in order to gain more stars, get stamps, and so on.

So, yep! Lots of fun. I appreciate a lot of the stuff they added to this game.

And since I'd finally played Super Mario 64 for the first time this year, I understand some of the movesets/enemies better.

I still can't beat the last level. I want a game where every level is as hard as the last level. Just getting past one part you never could before is so satisfying.
That's another thing I'd wanted to get at too, especially with lengthier impressions. I appreciate the scaling the game does. It's designed very, very well by taking into account player growth.

The Boat

It's making the really small adjustments during jumps for me, or aiming fireballs, or anything which requires a small but important degree of accuracy in aiming. Running around is fine, but the frustration when Mario gets sent to his death for not responding to some small adjustment gets annoying.

Well, if you had problems, you had problems I can't argue with that, but I can't possibly imagine a situation where the controls lack of response leads to death. At all.

Dr.Hadji

I mostly play the game on the weekends when my friends come over the play multi. So when I'm by myself I'm mostly replaying levels. First for collecting collectibles and now just for fun. 2-5 Double Cheery Pass and 3-2 Chain-Link Charge are probably going to go down as some of the best levels in Mario. So simple yet dynamic. 3-2 really showing why the cat suit is a top tier power-up. Not just because how its used in the level but how playing the level really changes when you don't have it.

Man, any game that allows me to hop from enemy to enemy like in the old mario games in 3d controls well in my book, but maybe that's just me...

Not only good controls. But is enough of a reason to base two games around. 2d-like control in 3d is some good feel.

Papercuts

Well, if you had problems, you had problems I can't argue with that, but I can't possibly imagine a situation where the controls lack of response leads to death. At all.

I didn't notice the movement either, but it did seem apparent in 3d land. Weird.

The bigger issue for me here is the camera. The angles can be pretty weird at times, and/or I just have awful depth perception. Worst spot for this was the level with the moving block in the lava, the stamp above the hammer bro. Couldn't see my shadow to help line up and died a couple times.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The bigger issue for me here is the camera. The angles can be pretty weird at times, and/or I just have awful depth perception. Worst spot for this was the level with the moving block in the lava, the stamp above the hammer bro. Couldn't see my shadow to help line up and died a couple times.
I had the same issues too. The camera felt like a hindrance at times, or some of the angles just weren't adequate.

Not only good controls. But is enough of a reason to base two games around. 2d-like control in 3d is some good feel.

It sure is. To be honest with you, I didn't think precision platforming like this was even possible in 3d -- I thought Mario 64 played the way it did partly out of necessity. (Loved 64 for what it was, of course.) But this game...wow, I just hope other devs take inspiration from this. I'm looking at you Capcom, Konami, and Sega...

The Boat

I didn't notice the movement either, but it did seem apparent in 3d land. Weird.

Yeah, stereoscopic 3D would help.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Completely disagree
I was very pleased with the soundtrack, myself. Lots of good instrument selection, good variation and genre involvement, great BGM theme progression and arrangement, good arrangements, and good sound mastering. I was a little surprised by the calibre, here, but I guess I shouldn't be since it's sprung and extended from 3D Land, and the Galaxy games given the composers in charge.

I'm not sure if I'd select it for SotY yet, but it would certainly make my shortlist.

zroid

Banned

I had the same issues too. The camera felt like a hindrance at times, or some of the angles just weren't adequate.

Something I discovered too late is that if you tap the GamePad icon on the touchscreen, not only can you control the camera with the gyroscope, but you also get smooth control with the right analogue stick, instead of locking into specific positions. It can be useful.

This is absolutely true, although absent stereoscopic 3d there's no real way to cure this completely. I've actually been thinking that maybe the problem influenced the game's visual design: like, has anybody noticed how levels tend to be made up of blocks so that they resemble grids? That, coupled with the ever present drop shadow, may have been EAD's attempt to give the player visual clues as to their orientation in 3d space.

Also (although I haven't tested this) I want to say that the dimensions of the blocks feel as though they correspond with the characters' jump arcs in some clever ways. For example, in the very final level, I noticed that Toad's short-hop from a full sprint seems to roughly coincide with one block's length. (Again, not positive about this though...)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Something I discovered too late is that if you tap the GamePad icon on the touchscreen, not only can you control the camera with the gyroscope, but you also get smooth control with the right analogue stick, instead of locking into specific positions. It can be useful.
Oh, so you -can- use the right analogue for 360 movement even when you tap the gamepad icon?

Will try out later tonight, then. Thanks.

Also (although I haven't tested this) I want to say that the dimensions of the blocks feel as though they correspond with the characters' jump arcs in some clever ways.
I feel like they did after some testing, but I haven't gone far enough to say if that's certainly the case or not. I'll try that later, too.

I played basically the entire game with Toad (while going back and getting stuff with other characters to test them out), who falls faster and has the lowest jump, so I do feel like the positioning and platform design cleverly took into account the multitude of differences that the characters exhibited in very nice ways.

Lijik

I used this pretty extensively, the only annoying part is it reverts back to the regular control every time you clear a level or die so you have to turn it back on repeatedly. The instructions pop up every time too

Really dont get why there wasnt somewhere in the pause menu where i could lock it to that. Not that big of a fan of the specific angle method which Galaxy also did

Oidisco

Over 200 lives lost on the final stage. Suppose that's what I get for refusing to use power-ups.
Atleast I'm still enjoying it, and I'm slowly making progress since I can get to the dash-pad section with some semblwnce of rebularity.

Appleman

Quick question, just because a buddy and I just got our asses kicked hundreds of times in the
Flower
world... Do continues mess with your save file stars? I don't think I actually care about them, but was just checking since I can't remember game overing so many times in a Mario game, but that's a good thing!

Astral Dog

The game is never too difficult because the levels are simple and too short, but i am at world 7 and have been dying a lot more than the Galaxy games, playing with the nunchuck and the controls feel a little loose. maybe i am just getting bad at these games.

Papercuts

Huh, does that always work? I noticed that even with right stick camera control it locks a lot.

Is anyone else annoyed at the 170 stars thing? My gf and I have been playing for a while trying to get up the stars, and we feel done. It's just annoying the same levels over and over again just to find stars . . .

Is anyone else annoyed at the 170 stars thing? My gf and I have been playing for a while trying to get up the stars, and we feel done. It's just annoying the same levels over and over again just to find stars . . .

Not at all. I got all the stars as I went along. You have always needed a certain amount of stars to advance in 3D Mario, so it's not like it's a new thing.

Darryl

Banned

You know there is a warp pipe on the side of this world that leads you to a challenge house with 10 stars? It pissed me off until I found that out, then it was no big deal.

A bit unrelated to your post, but out of curiosity what'd you think of the game all up? Just asking since I know you've said you really didn't like 3DLand nor the direction the 3D games were taking nowadays.
I posted my thoughts many, many pages ago, when it was still fresher in my mind, but I'm too lazy to find it, so I think I'll try to sum up some of my thoughts:

Fun, a better game than 3D Land, but only just--it rises up mostly in art/music/level variety but still retains the formula's inherent flaws--run button nonsense, annoying digital-esque controls, limited moveset, time limits, etc. You know, the things I rag on. It has a lot of neat ideas, but I feel it places too much emphasis on powerups and one or two-off items. The limited camera I also had problems with, there were occasions where it was absolutely difficult to judge a jump because of it.

Overall, fun, but does not satiate my appetite for 3D Mario. I really do hope they weren't lying when they said this game is not the future of the 3D Mario series. I'd really like to see them try to get back to 3D Mario basics and drop this attempt to 2Dify it--I'd really like to see the return of more open ended levels (there are like... a couple I would define as open ended in only the most literal sense in this game), even smaller scale ones like Buoy Base Galaxy. Let me run around a world, not down a line where you change cardinal direction every once in a while.

I think I should mention something else that bugged me a bit--the art, while better than the plastic covered shit that they pump out of NSMB and the "Not a single new idea at all" stuff of 3D Land, still falls short of Galaxy. I think the blocky look both makes for unexciting jumping in comparison but hampers the art as well. And even beyond that, the backdrops for most stages were pretty boring. It's a technically marvelous game to look at with some pretty boring art (for the most part, there were a few standouts).

Overall, it's good, but just good. I think it sits in a weird nebulous gray area between 2D Mario and 3D Mario, and hits the high points of neither.

leroidys

I posted my thoughts many, many pages ago, when it was still fresher in my mind, but I'm too lazy to find it, so I think I'll try to sum up some of my thoughts:

Fun, a better game than 3D Land, but only just--it rises up mostly in art/music/level variety but still retains the formula's inherent flaws--run button nonsense, annoying digital-esque controls, limited moveset, time limits, etc. You know, the things I rag on. It has a lot of neat ideas, but I feel it places too much emphasis on powerups and one or two-off items. The limited camera I also had problems with, there were occasions where it was absolutely difficult to judge a jump because of it.

Overall, fun, but does not satiate my appetite for 3D Mario. I really do hope they weren't lying when they said this game is not the future of the 3D Mario series. I'd really like to see them try to get back to 3D Mario basics and drop this attempt to 2Dify it--I'd really like to see the return of more open ended levels (there are like... a couple I would define as open ended in only the most literal sense in this game), even smaller scale ones like Buoy Base Galaxy. Let me run around a world, not down a line where you change cardinal direction every once in a while.

I think I should mention something else that bugged me a bit--the art, while better than the plastic covered shit that they pump out of NSMB and the "Not a single new idea at all" stuff of 3D Land, still falls short of Galaxy. I think the blocky look both makes for unexciting jumping in comparison but hampers the art as well. And even beyond that, the backdrops for most stages were pretty boring. It's a technically marvelous game to look at with some pretty boring art (for the most part, there were a few standouts).

Overall, it's good, but just good. I think it sits in a weird nebulous gray area between 2D Mario and 3D Mario, and hits the high points of neither.

Weren't there literally 3 backdrops for all of Galaxy (one of which was only used on one stage)?

Also, how is a run button and time limit in a Mario game nonsense? Do you like Mario games or only Galaxy?

Quackula

I'm absolutely loving this, finished World 3 earlier and yeah, it really ramps up in awesomeness there.

Tanooki Suit Peach is friggin' adorable.

I've been pretty much hitting the "random" button at the beginning of each stage, so I've been getting a pretty healthy playtime with all 4 characters.

Top Bottom