• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I am in the final extra world and:

Dammit!
That last level AND the mystery house are both incredibly difficult. I think I can do the first 15 stars in the mystery house blind now, but I always fuck up in the end :( And dont even get me started on that final level lol. That part with the blue/pink switches are just brutal and I still havent been able to pass it in like 50 tries.

Oidisco

So I am in the final extra world and:

Dammit!
That last level AND the mystery house are both incredibly difficult. I think I can do the first 15 stars in the mystery house blind now, but I always fuck up in the end :( And dont even get me started on that final level lol. That part with the blue/pink switches are just brutal and I still havent been able to pass it in like 50 tries.
200 deaths and counting...

Weren't there literally 3 backdrops for all of Galaxy (one of which was only used on one stage)?

Also, how is a run button and time limit in a Mario game nonsense? Do you like Mario games or only Galaxy?
Ah, I don't really want to argue this right now, but in terms of backdrops--perhaps, literally, there were three backdrop graphics total, but I misspoke--I meant backgrounds, and Galaxy used quite a bit of polygonal objects in its backgrounds that helped give it a better sense of space. The backgrounds of 3D World are more like the backdrops of 2D Mario--relatively static, faraway pictures that kind of give you a general sense of where the level takes place, and that's it.

And concerning the second point, I love Mario. I love 2D Mario, and I love 3D Mario.

But!

There comes a caveat here: I consider 2D Mario and 3D Mario to be completely separate beasts and I like them for very different--and usually diametrically opposed--reasons. I like run buttons in 2D Mario, but I think they're flat out heretical and annoying in 3D Mario. Time limits are tolerable to a point in 2D Mario, but I feel they have no place in 3D Mario outside of dedicated speedrun levels.

KiN0

The timer really should be counting up. The clock collectibles would subtract seconds instead of adding them, and the finishing time would be subtracted from the final score instead.

Bleep

I love the timer, there have been so many close calls where I just scrape by getting to the flag or to a clock after getting all the stars and stamps in a stage. It's exciting to me and I like the added tension.

KiN0

That's fair. Admittedly, I have had that same rush of adrenaline as well. I just wonder if the levels would have been larger had the timer not been an issue.

Zalman

That's fair. Admittedly, I have had that same rush of adrenaline as well. I just wonder if the levels would have been larger had the timer not been an issue.
If the timer stood in the way of their vision, they would've removed it. Clearly they weren't going for larger levels this time.

Morfeo

Just got to say, after completing everything except for two levels in the final world, this game is probably amon the best 10 games I have ever played. I am not sure if I think its better than Galaxy, but I anyways do really like that they are so different - and I think this is probably the way forward for 3D Mario as it is much more accessible and more about plattforming than the old games and their adventuring. They were awesome as well in their own way of course, but this just feels more Mario to me.

Also, I really hope this turns the Wii U sales around. Everybody deserves to play this game, and I hope as many as possible get out and grab a Wii U with this and other amazing games this holiday instead of the nextgen twins that dont really have anything close to this game as far as I can tell. Nintendo really did it again.

Yes, got every single sticker including the character ones! Took forever, but goddamn did I love every minute of it.

And with that, I can finally say I'm done with a clear contender for GOTY!

So is this game galaxy good or just good?
It's borderline Galaxy good. Depends on how much you like old school Mario though. If you think old school 2D Mario were the best games ever, it's conceivable you might like this more than the Galaxy games.

Galaxy is better

Weren't there literally 3 backdrops for all of Galaxy (one of which was only used on one stage)?

Also, how is a run button and time limit in a Mario game nonsense? Do you like Mario games or only Galaxy?
Speaking for myself, the lack of run button, the addition of the spin, and lack of a time limit were three large parts of what the Galaxy games great. 3D World is, IMO, inferior due to all three points.

It's still awesome, though, probably because EAD Tokyo are awesome.

Finished the final final level. Probably shouldn't have tried while tired lead to more deaths then it should have. Took me about 15 tries half of those being deaths in the first section from being impatient. Used vanilla Rosalina with no reserved item. Didn't use her spin jump outside of the dash section to save myself after over jumping the box after getting all 5 keys.

I'm not sure between grand finale galaxy, 3d lands final stage, and champion run I find the hardest. Obviously you can cheat 3d land and 3d worlds with tanooki suits though I don't think that's a true show of skill. Perfect run is by far the hardest even if I felt grandmaster is the easiest on its own having to do it without ever getting hit makes it the most agonizing.

All and all 3D world was a fantastic game from beginning to end. In no rush to beat every stage with every character even knowing the 4p trick. I still consider the game 100% cleared as far as I care to clear it.

LocalE

Finally finished
Champion's Road and the Mystery House
Hell Yeah! I had lots of fun so far with this game, now I'm takin a break...so I can get back to the final few things I want to unlock in The Wonderful 101!

Finally just got this and Windwaker HD for my birthday and played the first few levels grinning from ear to ear. Unfortunately I won't get to play much for about two weeks but so far it is just stunning and a pure joy. I can easily see this becoming my game of the year.

gotoadgo

So I've just arrived at
Crown World
, looks like it's going to be fun! Taking a break for now as I have friends over tonight and we're probably hitting up the multi so don't want to be burned out on those last two hard ones.

leroidys

Ah, I don't really want to argue this right now, but in terms of backdrops--perhaps, literally, there were three backdrop graphics total, but I misspoke--I meant backgrounds, and Galaxy used quite a bit of polygonal objects in its backgrounds that helped give it a better sense of space. The backgrounds of 3D World are more like the backdrops of 2D Mario--relatively static, faraway pictures that kind of give you a general sense of where the level takes place, and that's it.

And concerning the second point, I love Mario. I love 2D Mario, and I love 3D Mario.

But!

There comes a caveat here: I consider 2D Mario and 3D Mario to be completely separate beasts and I like them for very different--and usually diametrically opposed--reasons. I like run buttons in 2D Mario, but I think they're flat out heretical and annoying in 3D Mario. Time limits are tolerable to a point in 2D Mario, but I feel they have no place in 3D Mario outside of dedicated speedrun levels.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I almost wish that 64/sunshine/galaxy was a different IP altogether, so we could get a steady stream of those games in their own idiom.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Baywn1SIYAAQtv0.png:large

Nintendo trolling us fans

We're all living transparent pipe dreams, lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I host a Mario 3D World party tonight with my cousin, his girlfriend and my brother in law. Should be fun :)

Sendou

Just tried (mild post-game spoilers)
Mystery House Marathon. It's not too bad. Got to like ninth last star but then someone said something to me and then it was all gone :( It's so easy to lost concentration with such a short time to figure out what's going on

Madao

I've managed to beat
Champion's Road
as Mario without power ups once so far. My method is pretty much
-sprint right at the start and jump off the second octogoomba on the moving platform where the coins are lined up, wait for the two platforms to line up and then roll jump to the pipe.
-If you run and high jump you should be able to bounce from fire bro to fire bro to the top of the next part
-roll jump onto the next part and short jump onto the CC to bounce to the safe area and then short jump bounce off the next set of CCs for an easy crossing.
-For the beat blocks at the start just run in a circle for the speed boost and then jump onto the blue ones right before they appear then hop to the red ones then blue and roll jump to the safe area.
-Use the blocks on the right as a staircase and make sure you jump on the elevated corner on the top ones then roll jump to the other set(I'm pretty sure luigi and toad can just jump to safe area but don't hold me to that)
-For the last section just jump block to block for the first part but for the last pair jump from blue back to red and then blue again to give you enough time to get to the star
Other half is pretty easy and doesn't require any special tricks other than staying inwards at the start of the dash panels and moving outwards as you progress.

heh i'm like soooo close to getting past the hardest part.

i'm gonna tackle it after i replay the game since i want to polish my skill a bit. gonna record 100% for every level on the way.

Yes Boss!

Goddammit,

That little Boss Run level is giving me grief. I keep running out of time.

I've since moved to Peach as I clean up the last few items. 16 more stamps and stars to unlock the final world. Can't wait to start playing the game entirely with each character.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Question to those playing with pro-controller:

what do you do in the blow/touch sections ?

CraigMcD

Anyone else buy a download code for this from the Game web site? I bought one on the Wednesday before release, tried to redeem it and it didn't work. Fine, I thought. I redeemed the code after 11pm on Thursday after someone on here said the game was out on the eShop.

I was due to get another £5 code on the Nintendo Network Premium site after it updated, so I kept checking the site. It didn't update. So I contacted Nintendo Support and this is what they eventually had to say:

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your patience.

Further to your enquiry, we have found that this title was downloaded early and thus broke the street date release - 29/11/2013. This is why the game will not show up on the Nintendo Network Premium website.

If you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Adey Kazuhira

Great.

Morfeo

I host a Mario 3D World party tonight with my cousin, his girlfriend and my brother in law. Should be fun :)

This sounds so awesome. Would seriously LOVE to try out four player coop in this game.

Ah well, still two levels in the final world to go.

Morfeo

bummer, should've mapped to shoulder buttons or something

This would seriously make me cash out for a pro-controller. Really hated the blowing - especially after
the final captain toad level in crown world
. I also just completed Spirit Tracks - and the final boss had some terrible blowing that almost made me throw the game out the window. By far the worst thing about this game imo.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds so awesome. Would seriously LOVE to try out four player coop in this game.

Ah well, still two levels in the final world to go.

lets make it happen one night! :)

Top Bottom