• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

El Odio

Banned
I know the other two were pointed out before did anyone else manage to find the world 4 to 5 warp zone? It's in
4-2 I believe, Piranha Plant Creek. In the section with the floating platforms and the waterfall if you climb up the wall and go across the top the pipe is at the end where the 1-up is in the remixed version.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
720p on a 42 inch 1080p set looks like crap to me and I endured years of it. I won't be going back. Ever.

You haven't seen THIS game in real life. I'm playing this game on an 1080p beamer. It looks fucking gorgeous.

On a different note, how the hell did Nintendo manage to do some of the roundest rounds in this?

Edit: you don't have to take my word for it, check the DF analysis on it.

Subaru

My 3D Mario Ranking:

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario Sunshine

My 2D Mario Ranking:

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario World
Super Mario 2 (USA)
Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
New Super Mario Bros. 2
New Super Mario Bros (DS)

720p on a 42 inch 1080p set looks like crap to me and I endured years of it. I won't be going back. Ever.

I'm playing on a 42 inch 1080p samsung, trust me the game upscales perfectly.
Neogaf will laugh at me for saying this but i've found pikmin 3 and 3d world, both 720p titles, look great on my 1080p tv, whilst some of my ps3 games that are 720p don't look so great. Not sure what nintendo did, but my wii u games seem to upscale really well.

I endured 720p on my 1080p tv for almost 2 years with some amazing ps3 games, i know what you mean when you say they can look bad.
But somehow my wii u titles that are 720p seem to do a much better job on the tv. Nintendo did say that the games upscale to 1080p and they weren't lying.

These last few levels are sadistic, man. Just a bit more and I got everything collected and done...but ffffffffffffffffffuck this game sometimes lol. It's been a while since a Mario game made me feel this way, straight A's from me.

Neff

In my rankings

+

Super Mario 64
Super Mario World
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario Bros/Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Bros 2 aka USA
Yoshi's Island
New Super Mario Bros U
Super Mario Land
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Land 2
New Super Mario Bros

-

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is this a list thread now?

- 3D -

S-rank: 3DW
A-rank: 3DL, SMG
B-rank: M64

Yet to play SMG2 and SMS.

- 2D -

S-rank: SMB2 JP, NSMBU
A-rank: SMB3, NSLU, SMB, NSMBW
B-rank: NSMB2
C-rank: SMB2 US, NSMB
D-rank: SMW

It's difficult for me to really peg where I want to put NSMB, NSMB2, and NSMBW simply because, while I think they're good games (especially NSMBW), the entries of this sub-series have a problem of becoming completely outdated upon the release of a new one due to how much of the core game (controls, physics, aesthetics, and even specific stage gimmicks) is carried over. As much as I loathe SMW, I think it's a more "essential" game to play than most of those because of this. 3DL has a similar problem now that it stands in the shadow of 3DW.

I have stronger opinions about 2D Mario than 3D. I'm very particular when it comes to what I enjoy and what I don't about the 2D games (higher highs and lower lows), while I pretty much just go with the flow for the 3D games and enjoy them for what they are even if they're not exactly what I'm looking for. 3DW is something of an exception; as has been stated many times in the thread, this game often comes across as a 3D Mario for people who prefer 2D Mario.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ah ranking time. Only judging by design quality, not taking "revolutionary ideas" into consideration:

3D:
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario 3D World
3. Super Mario 64 (tie)
5. Super Mario 3D Land
5. Super Mario Sunshine (tie)

But: All of those games are among my favourite video games ever, so it really is not all too important how they are ranked, because I love all of them

2D:
1. Yoshi's Island
2. NSMBU
2. Super Mario World (tie)
4. NSMBW
5. NSLU
6. Super Mario Bros. 3
7. NSMB2
8. Super Mario Bros.
9. Super Mario Bros. 2 jap
10. NSMB
11. SML2
12. SMB2 US
13. SML

I'm not sure if I shoudl count Yoshi's Island. What about Wario Land? Then, what about Yoshi's Island 2 and Wario Land 2? I decided to go by name for Yoshi (Mario in name: Take it) and to drop Wario because it was in a Mario-spin-off series (Mario Land) anyway.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
It's difficult for me to really peg where I want to put NSMB, NSMB2, and NSMBW simply because, while I think they're good games (especially NSMBW), the entries of this sub-series have a problem of becoming completely outdated upon the release of a new one due to how much of the core game (controls, physics, aesthetics, and even specific stage gimmicks) is carried over. As much as I loathe SMW, I think it's a more "essential" game to play than most of those because of this. 3DL has a similar problem now that it stands in the shadow of 3DW.

What in the flying fuck?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
okay this is just...hyper sadistic from Nintendo

Broken Blue Bully Belt
's flagpole is killing me...why require so much EFFORT to reach the damn end Nintendo ahhh

Sixfortyfive

What in the flying fuck?
That whole game feels like busywork to me. It veers about as far away from its predecessors' foundation of platforming challenges as possible, instead focusing almost completely on hunting for secrets and solving puzzles. Big stages with lots of things to find but few difficult obstacles to overcome, lots of new abilities that you're rarely required to master. Its most infamously difficult stage, Tubular, is built completely around a novelty balloon item instead of the platforming that you buy the games for, and it gave us the ghost house, the most irritating recurring stage archetype in the franchise.

At least Super Mario Bros 3 had the common decency to make its game-breaking power-ups rare as fuck and un-farmable, and the NSMB team has the design chops to understand that power-ups, especially flight power-ups, need to be limited and kept in check to some degree.

SMB2J is my favorite game in the series, and it's pretty much at the exact opposite end of the design spectrum from SMW: small (but fun) toolset, few ways to cheat your way around the tasks it gives you, very linear and very focused. That is a game that keeps me engaged from start to finish. SMW is big and varied, but to me it feels as if it's padded with filler. I just think its exploratory design is better-suited to the 3D games that followed it.

Zalman

Post-game spoilers:
The first level of after the final battle is kicking my ass. Getting all three Green Stars + the stamp is a pain in the butt. You need the Fire Flower to open the "Zelda gate", but there's no way to get one in that particular level as far as I know. That means if you lose it, you have to go back to a different level to get it. I do like the Zelda reference though, very cool. This entire world also seems to be a homage of Super Mario Galaxy which is also nice.

Also, the final battle itself was amazing. Multiple Bowsers at once is a brilliant idea.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Best 3D Marios:

Knack
SMG2
SM3DW
SMG
SM64
SM3DL
SMS

JakeD

i play on a 52" 1080p TV. this game looks fantastic. i mostly play PC games on the same TV at 1080p, and i can honestly say its one of the prettiest games i've ever played. the screenshots and youtube videos do not do it justice.

although i guess it makes sense to wait for Super Mario 3d world 1080p edition for the Super Wii U 2 that comes out in 2018. or Dolphin U that requires a 32 core i7
=)

Sixfortyfive

Post-game spoilers:
The first level of after the final battle is kicking my ass. Getting all three Green Stars + the stamp is a pain in the butt. You need the Fire Flower to open the "Zelda gate", but there's no way to get one in that particular level as far as I know. That means if you lose it, you have to go back to a different level to get it. I do like the Zelda reference though, very cool. This entire world also seems to be a homage of Super Mario Galaxy which is also nice.

Also, the final battle itself was amazing. Multiple Bowsers at once is a brilliant idea.
Star World really comes out of nowhere and punches you in the mouth with that initial difficulty spike. It levels off a bit after that, though.

Post-game spoilers:

There is an invisible block to the left of the gate

Post-game spoilers:

actually there's a fire flower on the left side of the gate, an invisible ? block.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So I did my Mario 3D World party yesterday, we completed worlds 3 and 4 and had a blast. But Wii Party U and Game & Wario were the stars of the evening, we laughed for about 2 hours on these. One more Wii U sold :)

Davey Cakes

In World 8. It's really good so far.

My biggest pet peeve with Miiverse functionality is definitely the spoilers, though. On the Plessie stage, if I hadn't already figured out how to get the third green start, I would have finished the stage and then bam, would've seen the exact location of it because of someone's Miiverse post.

Like, I get you're trying to help others but some of us actually want to figure things out.

Played with 2 friends for about 3.5 hours yesterday, and we made it to world 6.

Fantastic fun, though I'm a bit concerned about the length.

How many worlds are there? I'm guessing 8. Also, what is the post-game content like? Similar to 3D Land?

maxcriden

I'm playing SMB3 for the first time right now (in the form of SMA4 for GBA...playing it on a DS Lite), then SMW/2 will be next...so I don't feel I can fairly join in on the ranking discussion per se without having played all of the key games. I will say I love 3DW and the Galaxy games. I could never get into SMS much (or bad joke alert texting). SM64 blew me away as a kid and I really liked it, it's an amazing game. I love the newer console 3D games more, though. NSMBU/NSLU is my favorite of the NSMB series. I really liked SMB2 quite a bit as a kid as SMA on GBA. So many acronyms in this post!

Sixfortyfive

Not sure if I could handle SMB3 with all of those spoken lines they slapped onto the GBA version.

Those e-reader levels looked cool as hell though.

squid

3D

1. SMG
2. SM64
3. SMG2
4. SMS
5. SM3DL (I'd still give this game a 9/10 though)

I'm only midway through world 7 in 3D World, so it's too early to give it a proper ranking, but at the moment I'd put it in 5th place, above 3D Land but below Sunshine.

2D

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Super Mario Bros
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario Bros 2
5. NSMBU
6. NSMB

I haven't played the other 2D Mario's. I've always been a much bigger fan of the 3D games.

I'm about to start this game with 2 other buddies and I'm curious whats the best controller setup to play this? All three of us are Mario veterans so I'm looking for what offers the best, most precise control setup.

Sixfortyfive

I'm about to start this game with 2 other buddies and I'm curious whats the best controller setup to play this? All three of us are Mario veterans so I'm looking for what offers the best, most precise control setup.
Gamepad, Pro Controller, and Classic Controller Pro are good.
Original Classic Controller and the Remote by itself aren't ideal; crouching on either is a pain.
Remote + Nunchuck is likely functionally fine but possibly awkward to get used to at first.

Gamepad, Pro Controller, and Classic Controller Pro are good.
Original Classic Controller and the Remote by itself aren't ideal; crouching on either is a pain.
Remote + Nunchuck is likely functionally fine but possibly awkward to get used to at first.

Thanks man! Kinda bummed that the Wiimote + nunchuck isn't ideal as its super comfy. Wish I had a WiiU Pro controller!

Am in Mushroom World. I am surprised there are no stamps. They better not put a stamp in the final final level. I will never be able to get it. I unlocked the final final level in 3D Land but was never able to complete that either.

Yes I did. Both to 100% :) If it controls anything like that it'll be perfect. Does someone HAVE to use the gamepad? Or it just there for helper stuff?

Certain levels require the gamepad, but to get to the end of the game, you don't need to play those levels necessarily. You do if you want to see all the post-game content, though, obviously.

Busaiku

For me...

Super Mario Galaxy 2 > Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario 3D World > Super Mario 3D Land > Super Mario 64 > Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros Wii > New Super Luigi U > New Super Mario Bros 2 > New Super Mario Bros U > Super Mario World > Super Mario Bros 3 > New Super Mario Bros > Super Mario Bros 2 > Super Mario Bros > Super Mario Land 2 > Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels > Super Mario Land

I probably would've liked New Super Mario Bros U more if I played it before New Super Luigi U.

Ranger X

I'll drop my 2D Mario games top 'cause I can't judge 3D World into a 3D Mario game top.

1- New Super Mario Bros U -tie- New Super Mario Bros Wii
2- Super Mario Bros 3
3- Super Mario World
4- Super Mario Bros
5- New Super Mario Bros
6- Super Mario Bros 2

BowieZ

Banned
Mind blown that there's now a Mario level called Castle-Castle (albeit in icon form).

Would love to hear people's first-timer impressions of SMB3.

Top Bottom