• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Geoff wanted to say Knack sold more so bad.

well knack is a premiere title for sony made by mark cerny. wouldnt surprise me if it did well with all the forum hype, which actually grew after the reviews were out. i kinda feel the negative reviews even fueled interest in the title.

maxcriden

Okay, as promised, here are my very LTTP impressions of SMB3. (To be fair, I wasn't even quite two years old when it came out.) Anyway, I've been playing it for a week or two, and really enjoying it quite a bit. I'm in World 7 now. The levels are getting quite trickier and there have actually been a couple where I have tried and failed and had to look up what the secret was (like the 7-Tower with the hidden P switch). Some of the World 7 levels have taken me many, many tries. There was an underwater levels with tons of bloopers (with baby bloopers), electric jellyfish, giant cheep cheeps with baby cheeps kangaroo'd inside their mouths...intense level. I loved the parabeetle level because it was one of my favorite NSMBU levels and I had no idea that was an homage to this level in NSMB3. The game holds up incredibly well and it's a ton of fun to play on a DS Lite. It really feels like the first iteration of modern 2D Mario. It's a great game and I'm looking forward to playing SMW and SMW2 next. DKC/2/3 are on my list, too.

Just reached the castle in World 7. The king has been transformed...into the very first appearance of Yoshi!! Unreal. I looked it up, too, and everyone seems to say SMW was the first appearance of Yoshi. This is definitely Yoshi, though. Does anyone know if this was in the original game, as well?

Andrew.

Banned
I dont think this needs its own thread, but SMB3 appears very last in the U VC library in the eShop with a TBD next to it.

Guess it's coming relatively soon...

Andrew.

Banned
Just reached the castle in World 7. The king has been transformed...into the very first appearance of Yoshi!! Unreal. I looked it up, too, and everyone seems to say SMW was the first appearance of Yoshi. This is definitely Yoshi, though. Does anyone know if this was in the original game, as well?

You really need to play the original, not the nerfed up, goofy Advance version.

Every time they're in the same room, there's always a lot of tension, mostly because of Geoff being an asshole and trying to get Reggie as flustered as possible.

Many people like this because they think he's asking "the real, hard questions that Nintendo needs to answer," but I find the way he does it to be annoying and tasteless.

I dunno. I feel like reggie is like a kid who has his fingers stuck in his ears. He isnt a PR mouth piece but always comes off as one. Id rather you admit to me your shit sucks than you feign ignorance. It is really annoying and condescending.

Oidisco

I was watching a playthrough on twitch of this game recently and they came across a really bizarre glitch that forced them to restart a level.

In the World 2 Castle, when you take the Green Warp Pipe to the boss fight, normally all the characters jump out and a super short cutscene introduces the boss. But something weird happened and instead of all the characters jumping out in a line, Mario jumped out and landed on top of peach. This started a never ending loop of him just jumping on her, since technically it was part of the cutscene and they couldn't move. And since the game doesn't let you quit a level while someone is jumping, they had to wait for the timer to run down.

It was really weird. I'll post a link later if I can find it.

eXistor

Ooh lists!

God-Tier
-Mario 64
-Galaxy 1
-Super Mario Bros. 3
-Super Mario World

Top-Tier
-Super Mario 3D World (might bump it up to God tier, but I need a bit more time with it)
-Yoshi's Island
-Galaxy 2
-New SMB U

High-Tier
-New SMB 2
-Super Mario Bros.
-Super Mario Bros. 2 USA
-New SMB Wii
-Super Mario 3D Land

Mid-Tier
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Super Mario Land 2

Low-Tier
-Super Mario Land
-New SMB (by far the worst mainline Mario game)

EhoaVash

I must admit...I have been tempted to use the invincibility leaf. The Hisstocrats are just a pain in the arse

:eek: i found a way to beat them, use
Rosalina
go behind the hisstocrats, spin around to do your spin jump, then use her spin attack as an extra boost to get on top of them. beat those two fuckers in 20 seconds using that :D

Bydobob

Finally unlocked the final level.

Holy shit this is hard. 60 lives down the drain and I still haven't conquered it.

;

Likewise. After sailing through the main game on one credit I'm floundering all over the place now. I've resorted to using the touch screen to hold onto platforms and blowing into the mic like a demented idiot to halt enemies. It's opened up an entirely different way of playing the game I never really considered before. What you'd call a lightbulb moment.

Roo

So I finally had the chance to buy this bad boy and I'm already in World 4. The game is beautiful. Simply beautiful. I said it before and I'll say it again... HD is the best thing that could happen to Nintendo's IPs.

The only complain I have so far is that I can't shake the feeling that they focused too much in sidescrolling levels or way-too-linear-3D-enviroments.. whatever works for you.
I don't know, it's just a thought. I'm enjoying the hell out of it tho, that's for sure.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Awesome Cranky reveal yesterday, to bad Reggie didnt bring that stick though.

Anyways, I am now at the second star in that infamous last bonus level. Guess im making profess :)

Dr.Hadji

I dunno. I feel like reggie is like a kid who has his fingers stuck in his ears. He isnt a PR mouth piece but always comes off as one. Id rather you admit to me your shit sucks than you feign ignorance. It is really annoying and condescending.

Umm that's exactly what he is. Come on man, the man the is charge of a major company. What good does trashing his own product do? Make you feel better?

Zing

Banned
I must admit...I have been tempted to use the invincibility leaf. The Hisstocrats are just a pain in the arse
Jump on one head, hold jump button to bounce over to the other head. Once I discovered this, it cut the battle time down dramatically.

I tried the-stage-that-must-not-be-named for another few dozen lives last night. I finally got down the first a sections, but kept dying on the top piranha plant for some reason. I finally get past that and fell off a ledge accidentally for no reason. After taking a couple days off, I found myself being much more relaxed about it. I'll take another few days off and try again.

Umm that's exactly what he is. Come on man, the man the is charge of a major company. What good does trashing his own product do? Make you feel better?

PR relations is not his title. So no he isnt. Look. Of course he isnt going to trash hia company but he remains in some deluded dreamland. Need I remind you of "it is not the same game"? And your post reads as if youre projecting something at me lol. Relax. Point is this: dont feed me bullshit and daisies especially when thr facts are there in the open.

Edit: Fuck. Dominos admitted their food was shit and built their comeback off of this base. And how many times has iwata issued public apologies (even though they appear to be empty words time and time again)?.

Morfeo

PR relations is not his title. So no he isnt. Look. Of course he isnt going to trash hia company but he remains in some deluded dreamland. Need I remind you of "it is not the same game"? And your post reads as if youre projecting something at me lol. Relax. Point is this: dont feed me bullshit and daisies especially when thr facts are there in the open.

Edit: Fuck. Dominos admitted their food was shit and built their comeback off of this base. And how many times has iwata issued public apologies (even though they appear to be empty words time and time again)?.

This thread isnt really about this, but I dont get all the hate Reggie gets. To me he seems very frank about his company, jokes and has self-irony, and complements his competetion. Much better than those stupid "next gen start when we say so"-comments you get out of Sony for instance. I feel people hate on Wii U and Nintendo policys, and therefore automatically hate on the guy responsible for talking positive about those same policies. He is not dishonest. He just give arguments that you and others disagree with.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I keep dying on that boost section of the final level.

Worst was when I had four of the keys, was going for the one in the bottom corner. All the laser things were passed me, thought I was good, then I run straight into one coming at me from the off screen one at the bottom and die.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

You're absolutely right. Reggie should take a play straight out of Bernie Stolar's book and start telling the public things like "Wii U is not our future." I'm sure that sort of thing would do wonders for consumer and publisher confidence.

When a top executive comes out into the open to make public statements, yes, they act as PR mouthpieces. That's what they're supposed to do.

This thread isnt really about this, but I dont get all the hate Reggie gets. To me he seems very frank about his company, jokes and has self-irony, and complements his competetion. Much better than those stupid "next gen start when we say so"-comments you get out of Sony for instance. I feel people hate on Wii U and Nintendo policys, and therefore automatically hate on the guy responsible for talking positive about those same policies. He is not dishonest. He just give arguments that you and others disagree with.

The only frank thing Reggie has ever said about nintendo in recent memory were his comments about how operation rainfall had no impact on nintendos decision to bring xenoblade to NA. I really appreciated that. Reggie gets "hate" because of his stubborness to admit that nintendo has fucked up and is fucking up.

Morfeo

Worst was when I had four of the keys, was going for the one in the bottom corner. All the laser things were passed me, thought I was good, then I run straight into one coming at me from the off screen one at the bottom and die.

Lol, I havent even reached this part, and have been trying for four days or something :(

You're absolutely right. Reggie should take a play straight out of Bernie Stolar's book and start telling the public things like "Wii U is not our future." I'm sure that sort of thing would do wonders for consumer and publisher confidence.

When a top executive comes out into the open to make public statements, yes, they act as PR mouthpieces. That's what they're supposed to do.

Yep. Completely take my post to the illogical extreme. Look. The WiiU is in dire straits right now. But it seems like everyone but nintendo is aware of this. And lets be frank: there is no consumer or publisher confidence in this thing. No one cares about it besides the "gamecube few". A few more games and ill get a wiiu but i know zero lessons will be learned from nintendo and nothing will change.

Edit: fuck it. At least they still make great games. Thats all one can expect at this point.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
DragonKnight pls

This isn't the thread for this

Morfeo

The only frank thing Reggie has ever said about nintendo in recent memory were his comments about how operation rainfall had no impact on nintendos decision to bring xenoblade to NA. I really appreciated that. Reggie gets "hate" because of his stubborness to admit that nintendo has fucked up and is fucking up.

See this:

I dont get what you want him to say. That the Wii U sucks? That they were wrong in designing it with a tablet? The fact that you (and I for that matter) think so, doesnt mean it is an objective truth that they fucked up, and Im sure Reggie and other at Nintendo disagrees that their system is such a big fuckup as you probably think. Which would make it both disenginious and unwise to "admit that they fucked up".

Nintendo do mistakes of course, and they have a lot of problems right now. Reggie is however definitely not one of them, he is a great figurehead that gets hated on because people disagree with Nintendo policy.

One thing that makes that part easier is ground pounding. The time it takes to stop, spin, and ground pound keeps you in the air longer and allows you to float a bit over the lasers.

Morfeo

Yep. Completely take my post to the illogical extreme. Look. The WiiU is in dire straits right now. But it seems like everyone but nintendo is aware of this. And lets be frank: there is no consumer or publisher confidence in this thing. No one cares about it besides the "gamecube few". A few more games and ill get a wiiu but i know zero lessons will be learned from nintendo and nothing will change.

Edit: fuck it. At least they still make great games. Thats all one can expect at this point.

This is so stupid. Of course they are aware that it is tanking. However, they need to get it back on track, and the way to do that is not to say "yeah this console sucks look forward to next nintendo product". They need to say that the console will sell with great games, which is true and also the only thing they can do to fix it. And that was just what Reggie said yesterday.

entremet

Any solo gamers getting that 5th star?

I love this game, but beating each stage at least five times, seems it would kill any desire for me to ever replay it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I love this game, but beating each stage at least five times, seems it would kill any desire for me to ever replay it.

Yeah, I decided to hang it up after finishing everything with Mario. Loved the game, felt like there was just the right amount of content. Running through the game 4 more times would suck the fun out of it.

Sendou

I will. Just take your time. You don't have to rush it. Play it when you feel like it. Don't grind one stage through four times in row. Instead take one character and try to complete all stages like that before moving on. That way the stages will feel even a little fresher when you repeat them.

Or do the "bubble cheat". That is if you have extra controllers.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is so stupid. Of course they are aware that it is tanking. However, they need to get it back on track, and the way to do that is not to say "yeah this console sucks look forward to next nintendo product". They need to say that the console will sell with great games, which is true and also the only thing they can do to fix it. And that was just what Reggie said yesterday.
Are you sure it's tanking now? Anecdotal evidences seem to tell a different story, 4 people I know bought a Wii U in the past 15 days. Wii U and some of its titles are ranking high at online retailers. I believe December figures could be good, and Mario Kart is not even out.

Morfeo

Are you sure it's tanking now? Anecdotal evidences seem to tell a different story, 4 people I know bought a Wii U in the past 15 days. Wii U and some of its titles are ranking high at online retailers. I believe December figures could be good, and Mario Kart is not even out.

I dont know anything for sure, but I feel pretty confident that the ship has sailed for the Wii U. They might sell a few units now, maybe even a million or more, but in the grand sheme of things, yeah, its tanking.

trust me reggie has more accurate numbers than we have due to him being in a position where he has access to more precise information.

however can he say: "lets fire iwata, i am taking my hat too and nintendo is doomed and is going to be a third party tomorrow and bankrupt the day after" like everyone else in this industry is?

he has to make people buying nintendo products feel comfortable and need to boost morale of his people as well. did you look at that retro guys expressions when sales discussion came up. he was looking terrified. i am sure he is great at what he does but when he would be at the helm and geoff would confront him with that question he would probably make mistakes and make a fool of himself. reggie however just shrugs it off. i think thats an important function to have in a company

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I dont know anything for sure, but I feel pretty confident that the ship has sailed for the Wii U. They might sell a few units now, maybe even a million or more, but in the grand sheme of things, yeah, its tanking.
Until we get post Mario 3D World/Mario Kart figures, it reads like wishful thinking.

Zing

Banned

I've played through solo and just from getting all the stars/stamps I have 2-3 characters on each stage. I felt a bit overwhelmed at the thought of going back through and finding the missing stars, but at no point did I not enjoy the journey. I suspect that it will be the same with this "quest". It will just happen one day.

After the 1-3 plays of a particular stage to get the stars/stamp, you should be proficient enough to attempt true speed runs and be racing against online Miis. I am surprised at how much the time trial Mii adds incentive to the speed run, not to mention, sometimes giving you tips! It's like the NSMBU time trial challenges, but for very single stage in the game.

Morfeo

Until we get post Mario 3D World/Mario Kart figures, it reads like wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking lol? I am a huge Nintendo fan and would love them to go on another 100 million selling run. I just dont think there is a chance in hell for that to happend. Nothing would be more pleasing than being wrong on this though.

Wishful thinking lol? I am a huge Nintendo fan and would love them to go on another 100 million selling run. I just dont think there is a chance in hell for that to happend. Nothing would be more pleasing than being wrong on this though.

100 million is not required for them to be profitable enough to release a new console next gen.

xandaca

Except that whole 'great games sell systems' is rubbish. Hype sells systems, and the Wii U has none going for it. Games like Mario, Zelda and so forth will shift a few consoles to pre-existing Nintendo fans, but for the mass audience desperately needed to sell consoles, they want the games that everyone is talking about (GTA, Last Of Us, Halo, etc) on a console their friends own and consider cool. Nintendo's franchises have long ceased to generate excitement outside the company's established fanbase, apart from certain broader titles like Mario Kart. If Nintendo want the Wii U to take off, they need something which will surprise and amaze people within a popular genre IN ADDITION to advertising the console by telling people the reason it's better than the competition rather than constantly playing catch-up on the whole 'just to let you know, this is actually a new console' thing (itself a mess of Nintendo's own making).

Morfeo

100 million is not required for them to be profitable enough to release a new console next gen.

Of couse not, and I never claimed it was.

Except that whole 'great games sell systems' is rubbish. Hype sells systems, and the Wii U has none going for it. Games like Mario, Zelda and so forth will shift a few consoles to pre-existing Nintendo fans, but for the mass audience desperately needed to sell consoles, they want the games that everyone is talking about (GTA, Last Of Us, Halo, etc) on a console their friends own and consider cool. Nintendo's franchises have long ceased to generate excitement outside the company's established fanbase, apart from certain broader titles like Mario Kart. If Nintendo want the Wii U to take off, they need something which will surprise and amaze people within a popular genre IN ADDITION to advertising the console by telling people the reason it's better than the competition rather than constantly playing catch-up on the whole 'just to let you know, this is actually a new console' thing (itself a mess of Nintendo's own making).

I dont disagree with the importance of hype and that Nintendo does a bad job handling it. However, that doesnt make it less true that great games do indeed sell systems. That counts for Mario - and it counts for GTA, Last of Us and Halo. For Nintendo, the way forward is to keep making great games and hope that it will be enough to get gamers onboard - which is what they are doing.

maxcriden

*raises hand awkwardly*

Can we try to stick to the subject of 3DW? I thought negative sales speculation and related disagreements were kind of frowned upon in OTs....

Robin64

Going for it. First 6 worlds done so far. Trying for awesome times as I do so.

Edit: Why this is this a thread about Reggie and Nintendo making money now? Sheesh.

Top Bottom