• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'll drop my 2D Mario games top 'cause I can't judge 3D World into a 3D Mario game top.

1- New Super Mario Bros U -tie- New Super Mario Bros Wii
2- Super Mario Bros 3
3- Super Mario World
4- Super Mario Bros
5- New Super Mario Bros
6- Super Mario Bros 2
Have you not played SMB2 jap or NSMB2?

LGom09

I have all the level stamps, but I'm still missing 9 on the stamp screen. I know that 8 of them are from
beating every level with every character and the levels in world crown
. Does anyone know where the last one might be? It's either an 8-bit Mario, a star, an explosion-looking thing or something round, maybe a boo.

Timeaisis

okay this is just...hyper sadistic from Nintendo

Broken Blue Bully Belt
's flagpole is killing me...why require so much EFFORT to reach the damn end Nintendo ahhh

I couldn't for the life of me get the timing right on that one. I was doing it as peach because I figured I'd have more float time. Played it with Tanooki Luigi, and did it on the first try after comimg back to it for the flagpole.

Coconut

Banned
Was anyone else having problems with judging depth? While I love the game I felt like I was dying more than I did in 3D land because I couldn't tell what plain I was on.

Robin64

Am in Mushroom World. I am surprised there are no stamps. They better not put a stamp in the final final level. I will never be able to get it. I unlocked the final final level in 3D Land but was never able to complete that either.

If you can't beat the final final level, you'll miss out on 6 stamps.

maxcriden

Okay, as promised, here are my very LTTP impressions of SMB3. (To be fair, I wasn't even quite two years old when it came out.) Anyway, I've been playing it for a week or two, and really enjoying it quite a bit. I'm in World 7 now. The levels are getting quite trickier and there have actually been a couple where I have tried and failed and had to look up what the secret was (like the 7-Tower with the hidden P switch). Some of the World 7 levels have taken me many, many tries. There was an underwater levels with tons of bloopers (with baby bloopers), electric jellyfish, giant cheep cheeps with baby cheeps kangaroo'd inside their mouths...intense level. I loved the parabeetle level because it was one of my favorite NSMBU levels and I had no idea that was an homage to this level in NSMB3. The game holds up incredibly well and it's a ton of fun to play on a DS Lite. It really feels like the first iteration of modern 2D Mario. It's a great game and I'm looking forward to playing SMW and SMW2 next. DKC/2/3 are on my list, too.

I'm pretty confident about how I'd mix 3D and 2D Mario lists, actually.

S tier
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Galaxy

SMB3 might be the most replayable game in the series. It's easily mechanically better than SMG (with better levels, enemy design)... but SMG just oozes with happiness and they nailed the setting.

A tier
Super Mario World
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Really close race here between SMW and 3DW, with SMW edging ahead for the same reasons I'd put SMB3 above SMG. SMG2 I'd say is definitively behind both, but only because some of its content seemed kinda wishy-washy.

B tier
New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario 3D Land

Nothing to see here. NSMBU at least puts more effort into its visual production/design than NSMBWii, so it edges ahead here. 3DL is great, and the way it brings in a lot of the series elements that never moved to 3D was inspiring, but it's pretty "Mario lite."

C tier
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario 64

SMB may not "hold up" well, but it's still a really tightly designed game. Same with SMB2, with a nice bonus due to its new content. NSMB2 Coin Rush is addictive enough to give it a boost, even though the focus on coins and the recycled content kind of spoiled the main game. 64 comes in here because it really hasn't held up well at all.

D tier
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2

Eh, too lazy to explain these.

Just woke up from playing an all nighter with 2 buddies of mine - semi casual gamers who mainly play the dudebro shooters. Back in the day, we used to pull off all-nighters with Mario Kart 64. They came by last night to check out my PS4 because they plan on getting it but missed the launch. We played a little bit of Killzone and Knack, and their responses were the usual "wow, graphics on KZ!!!" and "meh, Knack is too kiddie". So after an hour, as they were about to leave they asked what I was currently playing. That's when I fired up the Wii U and started up SMB3dWorld.... And the rest was history!

Just to give you an idea, the last true Mario game my friends played were M64 and SM World more than 15 years ago. At first, they were like, "What's this, a new Mario game? When did this come out?". I started a new save file and handed one the Gamepad and the other my Pro controller. I used the Wiimote and it took some time getting used to, but it became second nature after awhile. Right away in world 1-1, they were hooked. Once they got used to the mechanics, we were having a blast first playing in "battle mode" then cooperative play. We actually had so much fun playing 1-1 over and over again for like an hour before going on to 1-2. Fast forward 7 hours later and we JUST beat World 4. Replaying a bunch of stages was tons of fun, especially Snowball Park and Mount Must Dash.

I already made It to the post game worlds in single player, But man, replaying the game in multiplayer felt like i was playing a new game. They're coming back tonight for round 2 lol! And next week, they'll both be getting brand new Deluxe Wii U bundles + SMB3DWorld (and hopefully a couple more games) at Best Buy. Seriously, this is the most fun we've had since our Mario Kart 64 days.

I beat the main game but just unlocked the secret character.

This game was so much fun. I really can't remember the last time I even had this much fun playing a Mario title. Coming from someone who doesn't really like 3D Land, 3D World is definitely one of the best Mario titles out there.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I did my Mario 3D World party yesterday, we completed worlds 3 and 4 and had a blast. But Wii Party U and Game & Wario were the stars of the evening, we laughed for about 2 hours on these. One more Wii U sold :)

Awesome! Keep fighting the good fight :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
jbtzFAqd64icbe.jpg

love the water-on-screen effect here

Slambot6

Neo Member
Has anyone else had any crashes with this game? On the Captain Toad level with the rising lava, my Wii U froze when Toad grabbed the last Star. I had to pull the plug to get the console to restart.

Only crash I've had with this game, and third crash I've ever had with this console.

Seik

Banned
Has anyone else had any crashes with this game? On the Captain Toad level with the rising lava, my Wii U froze when Toad grabbed the last Star. I had to pull the plug to get the console to restart.

Only crash I've had with this game, and third crash I've ever had with this console.

You can hold the power button on the console too.

Metal-Geo

Was anyone else having problems with judging depth? While I love the game I felt like I was dying more than I did in 3D land because I couldn't tell what plain I was on.
Ah, whew, was a little worried I might be the only one on the planet.

That's not to say I blame the game though, as I'll admit that whenever I fall to my doom, it's entirely my error. But compared to SM3DL, I've definitely been missing more Goomba towers!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Finally unlocked the final level.

Holy shit this is hard. 60 lives down the drain and I still haven't conquered it.

Granted, I was too lazy to go get powerups. >>;

BigDug13

jbtzFAqd64icbe.jpg

love the water-on-screen effect here

While that does look really good for "water on screen", I personally hate that trend where things splash onto our view screen. We're not controlling Mario by watching him through a literal camera in the game world (though we did in Mario 64, that little dude was even visible in reflections, but that's the only one as far as I know), so why do the things he does affect our screen like water splashing, etc?

Coconut

Banned
Ah, whew, was a little worried I might be the only one on the planet.

That's not to say I blame the game though, as I'll admit that whenever I fall to my doom, it's entirely my error. But compared to SM3DL, I've definitely been missing more Goomba towers!

I feel like I'm looking at the shadow of my character more than the actual character.

Malus

Peach really makes the final level a breeze. 15ish deaths vs 200+ with Mario. Part of it's also knowing what's coming but I'm struggling with Luigi right now.

Lijik

While that does look really good for "water on screen", I personally hate that trend where things splash onto our view screen. We're not controlling Mario by watching him through a literal camera in the game world (though we did in Mario 64, that little dude was even visible in reflections, but that's the only one as far as I know), so why do the things he does affect our screen like water splashing, etc?

Im sure if asked Nintendo would say its the same conciet
Lakitu's camera gettin wet man

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Anyworked out how to unlock the portraits on the score screen?

I've finished the game.

I still don't have them. Not 100% but I've gotten to the flag pole of every level (including the final final final worlds)

I hooked up my new 60" Samsung HDTV today and then bought this game to play on it. It looks amazing.

I've made it to World 3 and it's been really fun so far. The music is wonderful and I've heard some tunes that remind me of the Galaxy games.

gotoadgo

:( boss battle blitz is destroying me. its the damn time limit T_T
This level is mostly about Hisstocrats and the guy that spins around in circles and bounces in the shell. You can hit the spinning guy when he's actually spinning and hisstocrats can both be hit one after the other by jumping from one head to the other after hitting the initial head. Makes those guy go down much faster.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
This level is mostly about Hisstocrats and the guy that spins around in circles and bounces in the shell. You can hit the spinning guy when he's actually spinning and hisstocrats can both be hit one after the other by jumping from one head to the other after hitting the initial head. Makes those guy go down much faster.

After blowing 200+ lives on this level in coop last night, histocrats is indeed the longest.

Pro tip: use luigi, spin jump from behind them bam land right on their head. No need for the worms/plates

Just got this yesterday, the first few levels surprised me positively in terms of ideas, and I noticed a much steeper difficulty curve than other mario games. Mario 3D land was much more gentle, this one has
invisible boom boom
right from the second world.

Also I love blowing in the microphone, just to see what happens and to see mini goombas being blown away

You can almost taste how much Geoff dislikes Reggie.

Every time they're in the same room, there's always a lot of tension, mostly because of Geoff being an asshole and trying to get Reggie as flustered as possible.

Many people like this because they think he's asking "the real, hard questions that Nintendo needs to answer," but I find the way he does it to be annoying and tasteless.

JakeD

yeah, took me a few tries to realize you can bounce between them for a double hit. i played them first every time and if i didnt beat them within 100 seconds i would just start over.

Top Bottom