• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Take over a week off and come back in and sweet lord jesus.

That Nintendo magic.

Yeah, I actually feel sad for all those people refusing to buy a Wii U that dont get to play this masterpiece. Definitely one of the best game ever imo.

This game looks like hella fun. That I won't get to play it for ages is kind of a downer but whatever. If this thing is compatible or remade for whatever N does next I will have a ball at launch. Sunshine HD would be a real treat too.

Also can I get some kind of ranking on how people rate the 3D Marios? Where does this one stand?

ok finally finished, great game but it does have a few problems.
i mainly hate the timer and wish mario still had his triple jump and a decent crouch back flip.
It's a good effort but i prefer both galaxy games, particularly galaxy 1.
Wasn't a fan of the blurred backgrounds, some of the graphical effects around characters and objects due to to them were really bad. Sticking to the previous timeline of gif's used by Elfforkusu, my experience was ho-hum until world 7, world 8 and onwards it was great. I just miss soaring through the sky and seeing various parts of the level all around me.
world 1-6 were good, just not what i really wanted after both galaxy games.Perhaps if mario wasn't lacking so many moves and the timer wasn't there i would appreciate the early worlds more.
world 1-2
tumblr_lq924kjRC91qj0zk3o1_250.gif

world 3-6
ounym.gif

7 and onwards
10gvO.gif

Even though this game got great towards the end, I really want the galaxy style to return. fingers crossed for hd versions of galaxy 1+2.

ok finally finished, great game but it does have a few problems.
i mainly hate the timer and wish mario still had his triple jump and a decent crouch back flip.
It's a good effort but i prefer both galaxy games, particularly galaxy 1.
Wasn't a fan of the blurred backgrounds, some of the graphical effects around characters and objects due to to them were really bad. Sticking to the previous timeline of gif's my experience was ho-hum until world 7, world 8 and onwards it was great. I just miss soaring through the sky and seeing various parts of the level all around me.
world 1-2
tumblr_lq924kjRC91qj0zk3o1_250.gif

world 3-6
ounym.gif

7 and onwards
10gvO.gif

Even though this game got great towards the end, I really want the galaxy style to return. fingers crossed for hd versions of galaxy 1+2.

If this were spiffed up in gfx and tuned gameplay would it be in the best of rankings?

Yeah, I actually feel sad for all those people refusing to buy a Wii U that dont get to play this masterpiece. Definitely one of the best game ever imo.

At some point we will play it. Just not on WiiU. I would feel sad too though. I am sad. Very sad actually. But it ain't like I just forget the game was made!

If this were spiffed up in gfx and tuned gameplay would it be in the best of rankings?

The graphics are great, i only had problems with a few blurred backgrounds.
It already is in the best of rankings, it's just coming after two of the best games ever made my expectations were sky high.
The gameplay is almost perfect, i just want to see the return of mario's moves and small additions which most people will find pointless but to me mean a lot, such as getting buried in sand if you ground pound, skating on ice and balls of snow increasing in size when you roll them around.All very small details but to me every one of these means a lot.
You asked for rankings, yoshi's island is still the best 2d mario game. but here are my 3d picks
1.galaxy1
2.galaxy 2
3.mario 3d world
4.mario 64
5.mario 3d land
6.mario sunshine

Son Of D

Based on the assumption that it will get a remake? You're fuckin nuts dude.

Why is it impossible for you to get a chance to own it over the next 2-3 probable years?

I'm thinking he's referring to rather WiiU emulation (which I don't see happening for a long time) or Nintendo's next console having BC (and then buying that).

Now that the dust has settled, I just have to say; I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, hope there is another 3D Mario on the Wii U. 3D World is amazing but it represents everything I don't want in a 3D Mario game. If it's formula were the standard going forward it'd probably be the one thing that killed my interest in 3D Mario.

Gartooth

So I've done everything there is to do in this game except gather the character portrait stamps. Has anyone in this thread bothered to go back and get them all? I'd probably use the co-op trick so that I only have to repeat each stage once instead of four times, but it sounds like it could be a hassle in some stages that have a low time limit or where actually touching the flagpole is difficult.

The graphics are great, i only had problems with a few blurred backgrounds.
It already is in the best of rankings, it's just coming after two of the best games ever made my expectations were sky high.
The gameplay is almost perfect, i just want to see the return of mario's moves and small additions which most people will find pointless but to me mean a lot, such as getting buried in sand if you ground pound, skating on ice and balls of snow increasing in size when you roll them around.All very small details but to me every one of these means a lot.
You asked for rankings, yoshi's island is still the best 2d mario game. but here are my 3d picks
1.galaxy1
2.galaxy 2
3.mario 3d world
4.mario 64
5.mario 3d land
6.mario sunshine

Thanks man. I agree YI is insane! That game, with the best emulation filter I could find that doesn't smear too much or do anything negative but make it timeless, is simply MINDBLOWING still today. I cannot believe it looks SO GOOD still today.

I still like Sunshine a lot. Those games are all pretty darn great though 64 has aged pretty badly compared to the rest.

Bold statement. I assume you mean a emulator will pop up and you will play it that way? I really doubt that will happen anytime soon.

HD title for sure man. If the WiiU sells like it does and whatever happens.... N releases new console. They WILL NOT let these games be hidden. I'd buy HD versions of all their main franchises one by one. The WiiU just isn't my thing.

Also, I had mad fun with Sunshine. Some seem to rank it dead last. Don't know about anyone else but I just dug the happy atmosphere and water. It put me in a different place. Played through it on Wii.

AniHawk

the best
super mario galaxy 2
super mario 3d world
new super luigi u

the great
super mario galaxy
super mario 64
new super mario bros. wii
new super mario bros. 2
super mario bros. 3
super mario bros.

the good
super mario sunshine
super mario world
new super mario bros. u

the okay
super mario land
super mario land 2

the super mario 3d land
super mario 3d land
new super mario bros.

Morfeo

I am finally making progress on the champion run - ive managed to grab the green star three times! Dying pretty much instantly after that though :(

Morfeo

My rankings:

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. New Super Mario Bros U
6. Mario 64
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
8. New Super Mario Bros Wii
9. Super Mario Bros
10. Super Mario Land 2
11. Super Mario Sunshine
12. Super Mario Bros 2/Doki Doki Panic
13. New Super Mario Bros 2
14. New Super Mario Bros
15. Super Mario Bros 2/Lost Levels
16. Super Mario Land

Not played New Super Luigi U and Mario 3D Land.

After 250+ lives, I finally bested
Champions Road with Mario, no powerups, no hits.

The hardest part was definitely the
speed pads leading up to the key collecting. Next to no room to maneuver between jumps. Once I got past that without talking a hit, I was able to run around the outer area pretty easily.

One of the most difficult things I have ever done in a videogame.

Roo

the best
super mario galaxy 2
super mario 3d world
new super luigi u

the great
super mario galaxy
super mario 64
new super mario bros. 2
super mario bros. 3
super mario bros.

the good
super mario sunshine
super mario world

the okay
super mario land
super mario land 2

the super mario 3d land
super mario 3d land
new super mario bros.

I agree with your list 100%

El Odio

Banned
Wow, it's ridiculous how high you can make your score if you bring the lucky bell catsuit to a level with double cherries. Now if only there were online scoreboards for this game...

Azure J

the best
super mario galaxy 2
super mario 3d world
new super luigi u

the great
super mario galaxy
super mario 64
new super mario bros. 2
super mario bros. 3
super mario bros.

the good
super mario sunshine
super mario world
new super mario bros. u

the okay
super mario land
super mario land 2

the super mario 3d land
super mario 3d land
new super mario bros.

I feel like NSMBU could be in "Great" but otherwise my exact sentiments here.

The game is already in fuckin HD dude.

What do you want, the "inevitable" 4K version?

720p on a 42 inch 1080p set looks like crap to me and I endured years of it. I won't be going back. Ever.

That being said there is nothing wrong with waiting. Nintendo will ditch PowerPC at some point and there will be no BC anymore. HD remasters will be the word of the day. And you know what I will be there for them.

My backlog really doesn't need anything atm because it is beyond pathetic.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From what I've played SM3DW is easily in the top tier quality bracket, but it's absolutely no Galaxy 2 for me.

RkOwnage

Finished World 2 today, and I have really enjoyed the game so far. I was worried that not having anyone to play it with (my wife works hours different than mine, unfortunately) would make me regret buying, but this truly is a fantastic single player game. It's definitely creeping into my top 5 games this year. Can't wait to play more.

Are there are bonuses for playing through the game with more than one person? Aside from getting character specific stamps, I've played exclusively as Luigi.

Morfeo

Finally beat
Mystery House Marathon.
My hands were sweaty by the end of it. It wasn't too bad. I was also able to make it to
the first star in Champion's Road.

This is definitely one of my favorite Mario titles.

Congrats! You have now made the same progress as I have today :)

Roo

720p on a 42 inch 1080p set looks like crap to me and I endured years of it. I won't be going back. Ever.

That being said there is nothing wrong with waiting. Nintendo will ditch PowerPC at some point and there will be no BC anymore. HD remasters will be the word of the day. And you know what I will be there for them.

My backlog really doesn't need anything atm because it is beyond pathetic.

It must suck for you not being able to fully enjoy a game due to such a trivial thing...

Timeaisis

Oh God, just got to
Champion's Road
. Man, I can't even get passed the first part without getting hit...got as far as the
beep block part
said nope and will come back later...

taybul

Ok Champion Road is destroying me just like it did yesterday:

I cant fucking pass the place with the switches after the rugby players. What am I supposed to do at the top of the first set of them?

Here's what I do that's pretty consistent: Assuming you're mario, long jump the bridges section. At the next platform get a running start on the platform then make your way to the top then long jump over to the blue then hop on the next platform. Again, get a running start and make your way up the stairs. When you get to the double pink blocks, quickly hop on those then onto the double blue. Here's what made all the difference for me: once you hit the double blue, fall back down to the top of the double pink then climb up the rest of the way up.

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 64
Super Mario World

After that the rest of the list gets pretty muddy, my bottom 3 would be

Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Bros 2
Mario Land

Morfeo

Here's what I do that's pretty consistent: Assuming you're mario, long jump the bridges section. At the next platform get a running start on the platform then make your way to the top then long jump over to the blue then hop on the next platform. Again, get a running start and make your way up the stairs. When you get to the double pink blocks, quickly hop on those then onto the double blue. Here's what made all the difference for me: once you hit the double blue, fall back down to the top of the double pink then climb up the rest of the way up.

Yeah, started doing that a few hours ago, but thanks for reinforcing my belief that this is the way to go!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Protip1: the perceived resolution of the picture is angular, IOW, it is a function of how close you are to the screen. For a 42" set, don't sit 2m in front of it and 720p will be just fine.

Protip2: if your tv does a sub-par job at upscaling 720p to 1080p, tell it not to upscale and show the picture boxed.

Neiteio

How do you help Captain Toad when he's (post-game spoiler)
surrounded by ghosts in the snowy graveyard level in the Star World
?

Wayne Gretzky-tier

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros. 3

Gordie Howe-tier

New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros.

Joe Sakic-tier

Super Mario Bros. 2
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
New Super Luigi U

Adam Oates-tier

New Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros. 2

Pierre Turgeon-tier

Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land

Sean Avery-tier

Mario is Missing
Hotel Mario

Don Cherry-tier

Mario Paint

Lijik

?

Small Hint:
Look for glowing spots in the snow

Full Answer:
Theres a powerstar on the right side of the level in the snow. Ground pound it and run over to the ghosts before it runs out. Theres a fire flower closer to the toad on the left side but its a red herring

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
?

On the very right of the stage there's a glowing spot in the snow, pound on it for a star to kill the ghosts.

Neiteio

Small Hint:
Look for glowing spots in the snow

Full Answer:
Theres a powerstar on the right side of the level in the snow. Ground pound it and run over to the ghosts before it runs out. Theres a fire flower closer to the toad on the left side but its a red herring
Ah, I was
falling for the red herring
. Ha!

JoeM86

Protip1: the perceived resolution of the picture is angular, IOW, it is a function of how close you are to the screen. For a 42" set, don't sit 2m in front of it and 720p will be just fine.

Protip2: if your tv does a sub-par job at upscaling 720p to 1080p, tell it not to upscale and show the picture boxed.

I had it on a 46" TV, was around 1 metre away, and it looked glorious :)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I had it on a 46" TV, was around 1 metre away, and it looked glorious :)
You 46" set is defective. Return immediately to manufacturer for recycling. ;p

Top Bottom