• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Neo Child

Banned
Hmmm, 5-1 just might be my favorite beach level in a Mario. platformer, game(?) ever.

s29665_wii_18.jpg

its lovely but nothing beats beach bowl galaxy

5-1 was the long horizontal stretch of sand with the paddling pool depth water right? yeah I can't say I was a fan of that stage really. I get what it was going for but the whole trinket hunt is limited by the layout.
Coming to think of it none on the outright Beach themed stages in 3D Mario has ever stood out to me that much.

Beach Bowl has wall kicking up waterfalls and the Stone Cyclone area so it wins on those alone...even if there's no beach in those areas.

Dr.Hadji

Super Mario Sunshine had most of my personal favorite Beach and Water levels.

Funnily enough, Sunshine porbably has the worst beach levels in any Mario. Sirrena Beach (Hotel level) and Gelato Beach (way way too open) are some of the worst levels in the game.

Going through the levels today, trying to finish collecting all the stars n' stamps, it hit me that this is, in fact, my favorite Mario game ever. The Galaxies were great, but they weren't as characteristically Mario as 3D World is, and even though it's very similar, it's so much more fleshed out than 3D Land. It also goes without saying how much more inspired the design is to that of the NSMB series. If they were to say 3D World would be the last Mario platformer ever made, I'd honestly feel the series went out on top.

Don't know about favorite water level ever, but 5-1 definitely one of my favorites of the game. They do that a lot in the Water Galaxy levels, the whole "here's five items you need to get" so they can get you to explore the level and see all the level gimmicks. But they've very large so it takes time to get anywhere. I really liked the compression of 5-1, putting that EAD Tokyo water level design in a single area, and just making the playspace really dense with things to interact with and secrets to find. And the music is so godlike. It also has maybe my favorite incidental animation in the game, where you throw a Koopa shell off the edge, and the Koopa will sag his shoulders and look downtrodden.

Beach Bowl Galaxy has the Ice Mario waterfall stuff and the Secret Undersea Cavern, so its cool with me.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Quick question about supported controls: Can this be played in co-op between a Gamepad and a remote/nunchuck combo? I hated that NSMBU didn't support this, and when it came to remotes, it forced you to use it without the chucks.

Quick question about supported controls: Can this be played in co-op between a Gamepad and a remote/nunchuck combo? I hated that NSMBU didn't support this, and when it came to remotes, it forced you to use it without the chucks.

Yes, any combination of supported controllers works but certain levels/minigames require at least one person has a gamepad. I think that's the only limitation.

entremet

The post game worlds are in weird order.

I would think it would follow the classic Mario Kart Style--Mushroom, Flower, Star.

But Star, Mushroom, Flower?!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yes, any combination of supported controllers works but certain levels/minigames require at least one person has a gamepad. I think that's the only limitation.
Awesome. I was going to buy an extra Pro Controller anyway, but this extra controller support should save me some cash. Thanks!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I just hate water levels, even those in World. But at least these ones are split into small sections with some platforming interlude, so it's not too bad

:eek: i found a way to beat them, use
Rosalina
go behind the hisstocrats, spin around to do your spin jump, then use her spin attack as an extra boost to get on top of them. beat those two fuckers in 20 seconds using that :D

Jump on one head, hold jump button to bounce over to the other head. Once I discovered this, it cut the battle time down dramatically.

well fuck me...infinite bag of tricks indeed!

Richie

The post game worlds are in weird order.

I would think it would follow the classic Mario Kart Style--Mushroom, Flower, Star.

But Star, Mushroom, Flower?!

I suppose it
is more of a surprise that there are levels beyond Star if that's the first one

Bkey

Banned
I have been slow going but finally put some time in and beat the normal game....that last level is so good...easy but so so good. Even the credits are charming

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
All set up with a the wiiu. Need friends.

My NNID is ThatNaiveCube23. Yes it is a spongebob reference.

Im Morfeo, add me if you like :)

Also, the context for the last message, as im sure anybody reading this thread regularly understood, is that I FINALLY beat Champions Run.

The_Dude

Star World seems to have turned the difficulty up quite a few notches from the main game. Kinda dreading what lies ahead...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
pCWNmc4.jpg

Can't get imgur to upload from Miiverse, gets stuck at pending.

Got my five shiny stars though! And co-op is war, I probably had sub-400 deaths during my solo stuff (at least up to the final level, I probably had 600+ I didn't save there since I was forcing myself to go Mario with no powerups first). Co-op was full of suicide and intentionally killing each other.

Wonderful game. I don't know how EAD Tokyo does it.

It's ludicrous how many deaths co-op creates. Often absolutely hilarious though. I'd lost 292 lives upon completing Champion's Road (a quarter of those on that stage alone) before going back to co-op the early stages and losing an easy hundred more. Patience goes out of the window and the lives drop in quick succession. Plus there's grabbing folk and suiciding off the edge, just to be bad, haha.

Are there any four player runs of the final stage online yet?

afoni

Banned
I've got this feeling that 3D Land has more new and exciting ideas than 3D World does. I need to replay 3D Land before I can say this for sure though.

I've got this feeling that 3D Land has more new and exciting ideas than 3D World does. I need to replay 3D Land before I can say this for sure though.
I had this feeling too, so I'm replaying both and I think that level design in 3D World is just more crazy and fun, but ideas were more platform related in 3D Land and based more on the Tanooki suit and the flying box.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone do a five shiny star zero deaths run?

This would be insane, unless you just reset every time you die to keep the counter at zero.

It's theoretically possible, but realistically I doubt anyone will pull it off for a while until we start seeing some crazy 100% speed runs for the game.

StAidan

I played my first real co-op last night, just with the wife. I agree about it causing many hilarious deaths. I'm not far into the game (our session took us through World 3), so we first discovered the head cannon (or whatever it might be called) last night.

She picked it up and from that point on was sniping me unintentionally every time we exited a pipe (she was always right behind me). It wasn't until I found one in a later level that I discovered you could actually hold back your cannon fire by holding down Y / 1.

Kurtofan

Help!!! I'm missing three stamps, the 8 bit Mario one, the Starman one and the Gold Cat one.

I don't need to have the Characters Stamps to reach the Bonus World right?

Linkhero1

pCWNmc4.jpg

Can't get imgur to upload from Miiverse, gets stuck at pending.

Got my five shiny stars though! And co-op is war, I probably had sub-400 deaths during my solo stuff (at least up to the final level, I probably had 600+ I didn't save there since I was forcing myself to go Mario with no powerups first). Co-op was full of suicide and intentionally killing each other.

Wonderful game. I don't know how EAD Tokyo does it.
Hot damn at those deaths haha. I thought my 400 was something to brag about :p

I have gotten every single star and every single flagpole in world flower, but I cant find a single stamp. I've beaten each world multiple times looking for them, looked through every crack and crevasse, and still have not found a single one out of the 12 or so levels. Ugh. Are there no stamps in world flower or something? Are they really this hard to find? I might just use a wiki to find them.

tipoo

Banned
I felt the last boss battle was very cool conceptually and visually, but they could have done far more with it.

maxcriden

s29665_wii_18.jpg

its lovely but nothing beats beach bowl galaxy

<3 BBG. The penguins are so cute! Totally reminiscent of the SM64 penguins as well (the Plessie levels actually remind me of the race against the penguin in SM64). I have to say thought that while I do like the aesthetics of BBG, I don't think it's a very fitting SMG level. It feels more like a SM64/SMS exploratory kind of level, except there's not a lot of purpose to exploring it. Fun level, just felt a bit out of place to me.

Andrew.

Banned
Don't know about favorite water level ever, but 5-1 definitely one of my favorites of the game. They do that a lot in the Water Galaxy levels, the whole "here's five items you need to get" so they can get you to explore the level and see all the level gimmicks. But they've very large so it takes time to get anywhere. I really liked the compression of 5-1, putting that EAD Tokyo water level design in a single area, and just making the playspace really dense with things to interact with and secrets to find. And the music is so godlike. It also has maybe my favorite incidental animation in the game, where you throw a Koopa shell off the edge, and the Koopa will sag his shoulders and look downtrodden.

Beach Bowl Galaxy has the Ice Mario waterfall stuff and the Secret Undersea Cavern, so its cool with me.

We are all glad you approve.

KiN0

I have gotten every single star and every single flagpole in world flower, but I cant find a single stamp. I've beaten each world multiple times looking for them, looked through every crack and crevasse, and still have not found a single one out of the 12 or so levels. Ugh. Are there no stamps in world flower or something? Are they really this hard to find? I might just use a wiki to find them.

Levels with stamps have an indicator on the selection screen.

It's taken me awhile thanks to work, but I just got to
World Crown
. From what I've heard, I'm in for quite a challenge with
Mystery Mouse Marathon and Champion's Road
. Looking forward to it... I think! Galaxy 2's The Perfect Run was so damn satisfying to beat.

maxcriden

I felt the last boss battle was very cool conceptually and visually, but they could have done far more with it.

It did feel a bit strange to

fight the previous bosses in the game head-on and then not actually square off with Meowser* per se. I think it was kind of in line with the 3DL Bowser battles though where you are trying to dodge his attacks and make it to a switch to defeat him.

*just sent myself a letter containing this, ghetto copyright, come at me
Mario
bros

Top Bottom