• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Just finished the game with Mario. Absolutely wonderful. Like 3D Land it really picks up toward the end. 292 deaths on route (100 or so from wild multiplayer rumbles and around seventy learning how not to die on the final stage) and I'll happily go through it all again with the other characters.

Sad there's no leaderboard for time trials, especially since I'm yet to see anyone else's ghost Mii appear at all. I've seen my own ghost Mii on the first stage but it's not my best 52 second run but rather some random Mii return for cat bells. Anyone know why that is?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am watching Inter-Parma that starts now, and its so nice to be able to continue to die at the champions road at the gamepad! Awesome feature indeed!

Timeaisis

Wow,
Champion's Road
is really kicking my ass. I can't even get to the first star. I can usually get to the
beep block section
, but the furthest I've made it is to the third staircase which I immediately die at the top, but lately I've been dying even earlier than that because I was getting so frustrated.

Any tips on this part?

I am watching Inter-Parma that starts now, and its so nice to be able to continue to die at the champions road at the gamepad! Awesome feature indeed!
Forza Parma!

I'm replaying the shit out of this game and that's always the best part about every mario game. Loved it!

Morfeo

Wow,
Champion's Road
is really kicking my ass. I can't even get to the first star. I can usually get to the
beep block section
, but the furthest I've made it is to the third staircase which I immediately die at the top, but lately I've been dying even earlier than that because I was getting so frustrated.

Any tips on this part?

This was where I was two days ago. I can now get to the second star :)
When you get to the double blue stairs at the end, you need to drop down to the red again to have a chance at making it. At least that mostly works for me.

Wow,
Champion's Road
beep block section

Any tips on this part?

I jump up to that final double blue then drop back down to the previous red so I can jump up again to that blue the moment it appears then quickly jump to the top blue, then the star. Every time I hesitate I die, haha.

Malus

Wow,
Champion's Road
beep block section

Any tips on this part?

When I get to the final part of the staircase I would jump back to the previous block to get a better timing. Or just use Peach to float and walljump off the last blocks making it much easier.

Sadist

Completed World 8 last night. Oh man. Oh wow. Damn.

Glad I never doubted EAD Tokyo. Now to complete the game! Amazing game.

Deku Tree

Just beat the game for the second time.
I wanted to do it without using any Shame Blocks. I didn't realize they hold those against you either.
Now I am on to the post game content. When do they let you see which characters have already beat each course?

UNCMark

Banned
Are you sure it's tanking now? Anecdotal evidences seem to tell a different story, 4 people I know bought a Wii U in the past 15 days. Wii U and some of its titles are ranking high at online retailers. I believe December figures could be good, and Mario Kart is not even out.

People look at the awful UK numbers and think it actually means something. Nothing about the UK Nintendo numbers signal anything that's applicable to any other region. As you said, it's purely anecdotal, but for two weeks Mario in the US was at or near the top of the Amazon sales charts in the US, and the only reason it's dropped is because Amazon ran out of units and Nintendo has once again stupidly been unable to restock major retailers with games. How many times does Reggie and his team have to fail at something so simple before they lose their jobs?

daakusedo

In the
level star-3
I was thinking there must be a possibility to go to the end without the big roller and I'm glad I was right.
Some serious platforming with
Rosalina
. There's the first part that you can cut through going on the upper side, I'm still not sure if it's quicker than the cat suit, cause maybe the time you lose wall jumping you got it back when you don't have to climb on the next segment etc...
And the second part, you can go without the roller by following the path leading to double cherries and on the last platform waiting for a bee to come, long jumping on it, then wall jump to land on another bee and you're arrived in the last part, excellent.

The fact that they've shortened the
galaxy spin
makes it so satisfying, I think if you never cease to long jump and roll you're faster than with toad with the added range of the move.
Well, I think I entered the it's too good territory, only did
those three first levels
and they're so good that I can't go
to the next one without trying a time trial first.

Kyzon

I keep dying on that boost section of the final level.

Worst was when I had four of the keys, was going for the one in the bottom corner. All the laser things were passed me, thought I was good, then I run straight into one coming at me from the off screen one at the bottom and die.

That's my favorite part. I want more boost intensive levels.

Robin64

Just beat the game for the second time.
I wanted to do it without using any Shame Blocks. I didn't realize they hold those against you either.
Now I am on to the post game content. When do they let you see which characters have already beat each course?

When you unlock the final world.

Morfeo

I know I'm probably late on this but holy fuck at Mario being able to go inside a shell. I just found out right now.

Haha yeah, I just found out recently as well. So many small touches like this. I know this game gets praised a lot, but I feel there are so much awesomeness in this game, that it might even be a bit underrated - despite the pretty good reviews. Definitely my Game of the Year, thats for sure.

Champion's Road has beaten me, I don't think I'll ever be able to do it, let alone with all the characters. Furthest I can get is up to the first Green Star.

Porcile

I just got to
Mushroom World
. Super Mario 3D World: the game that just keeps on giving. I'm trying to think of a game I've played in past 5 years which is better or even packed with so much variety and content. I'm struggling.

Gambit

Argh! I accidentally saved after my cousin had lost countless lives in one stage. I returned to the map and then quit the game, thinking it would get me back to the menu and my progress would be "lost", instead it saved!

Anyway, the block of shame had appeared but was never used. Can I still get shiny stars? Am I screwed? Should I restart?

Argh! I accidentally saved after my cousin had lost countless lives in one stage. I returned to the map and then quit the game, thinking it would get me back to the menu and my progress would be "lost", instead it saved!

Anyway, the block of shame had appeared but was never used. Can I still get shiny stars? Am I screwed? Should I restart?
The block appearing doesn't count.

Def Jukie

You're fine as long as you beat the stage without using the block. The only game to punish you permanently was NSMB Wii.

Son Of D

Hot damn, that final level is kicking my arse as Mario. I always get to
the beat block section before dieing. The bridge and the long jump is simple enough for me, but those steps at the end of that part always gets me.

Anyone have any tips for that part?

Deku Tree

Wait. So if I use a shame box tanooki suit once does that forever prevent me from getting the shiny stars on my save? Or can I beat the level again without using the shame box to redeem my shiny stars?

Morfeo

Hot damn, that final level is kicking my arse as Mario. I always get to
the beat block section before dieing. The bridge and the long jump is simple enough for me, but those steps at the end of that part always gets me.

Anyone have any tips for that part?

Watch last page, we just talked about that there.

Is there a final, final, final stage to unlock once you've beaten everything with every character?

Also, I really hope Nintendo do some Super Play videos for this. I'd like to see some wild four-player showcases on the later stages.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Is there a final, final, final stage to unlock once you've beaten everything with every character?

Also, I really hope Nintendo do some Super Play videos for this. I'd like to see some wild four-player showcases on the later stages.
See the post directly above yours

Awesome! Hope you have fun with it!

How many are really making it though? Ive been trying for three days and still cant beat it :(
There's a couple that have in this thread. One of them even has a video showing it beaten with every character I think.

See the post directly above yours

The one talking about Champions Road? I meant more whether or not a further, final stage unlocks once you've done everything up to including that with every character, like 3D Land did.

I've done all the stages with Mario and up to world five with everyone, in two player. Multiplayer is much harder!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man I am loving
Rosalina she jumps so high and her spin attack is amazing.

I am hitting the final area of the game and man the levels are getting harder and harder to point I am seeing the game over screen. >_<

Wait. So if I use a shame box tanooki suit once does that forever prevent me from getting the shiny stars on my save? Or can I beat the level again without using the shame box to redeem my shiny stars?

Just beat the level without the White Tanooki and you will get the shiny stars.

Top Bottom