• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
So I just bought this game after hearing so much about it (opinions both for and against), and I'll admit, I felt a little cynical staring down at Mario with his fuzzy suit and his unmitigated joy. "Like it could be that much fun," I thought. "Is this the 3D Mario that finally runs the franchise into the ground for me?"

I played a level. Good gracious this game is happiness incarnate.

I don't think I've ever felt this happy just playing the first level of a Mario game before. I can only feel glad to be so wrong about it. I don't even mind its inherent easiness (because I imagine it'll get more challenging.) Talk about a nice surprise while putting off portfolio editing.

Andrew.

Banned
BTW Drew, I still want to know what is so egregious about the SMB3 remake on GBA. ;)

It's egregious to me because I don't care for the choice of color palette, added padded story and dialogue and the fact (from what Ive seen) that it appears like a cut n paste of the All Stars edition albeit with those added features.

It's really just me and my personal rose tinted glasses/"get off my lawn"/the orignal is the way to play syndrome. There was just something so magical about blowing the bejesus out of that cartridge, sticking it into the NES and watching that dull maroon curtain pull up with the occasional flicker. Same kind of feels I get when I pop it on the Wii VC (and soon the U).

I'm just saying, if you like it that much and you're that much of a Mario fan you owe it to yourself to play the original, the way it was originally built. I'm sure you'll notice a heap of differences. It should be out for the U soon anyway. It's already up on the VC eShop but it isnt downloadable yet.

maxcriden

Anyone do a five shiny star zero deaths run?

I'm not quite hardcore enough for that but

My wife and I alternate levels and are planning to do specialized runs with each character after we beat Crown and get all of the stars/stamps. We're almost done with Star. We've been playing pretty much entirely with Luigi so our plan is:

Mario- no collecting powerups or mushrooms. you can get hit once and play as small Rosalina.
Peach - no enemies, if you touch an enemy you have to r/s the level.
Rosalina - no coins, if you touch a coin you have to r/s the level.
Toad - none of the above.

Just checked the activity log (does any other next-gen console have this feature?) to see how much I played 3D World, and it's about twenty hours. A lot of content! At this point I've gotten all that I can out of the game, I think. I've gone for all the stars I want to get.

Can't wait to replay it in the future sometime.

Unai

Just checked the activity log (does any other next-gen console have this feature?) to see how much I played 3D World, and it's about twenty hours. A lot of content! At this point I've gotten all that I can out of the game, I think. I've gone for all the stars I want to get.

Can't wait to replay it in the future sometime.

I don't think so. This is my favorite feature in both Wii U and 3DS. The actvity log in the 3DS is even better.

Ostinatto

the music cuts out while playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, anyone knows how to fix this? i tried every combination in the audio configuration (DSP HLE emulation, DSP LLE recompiler and DSP LLE interpreter). help.

Dr.Hadji

I've got this feeling that 3D Land has more new and exciting ideas than 3D World does. I need to replay 3D Land before I can say this for sure though.

Hmmm, I don't know what those new and exciting ideas would be. Besides creating the new paradigm for 3D Mario that 3D World now uses (which is a big thing to be sure), 3D Land doesn't have too many new level types, themes, ect. As for new level types. it has the new vertical stages (1-3, 2-3) in which the camera in placed up high and looks down as Mario moves downward throughout the levels.

Besides that is has some great takes on old themes. Jump activated flip-switches, pressure activated left/right moving platforms, a Zelda level (and a couple of other cool dungeon levels), a particularly awesome ghost house with the three picture frame intro, Sunshine tight-rope levels, cool extension on the beat blocks, ect. But this level of new ideas is pretty much par the course for a new Mario game. Something that I feel 3D world covers handily.

denshuu

74 seconds. I'm not seeing any faster ghost Miis anymore.. I think that's as low as it's gotten so far.

Man, I want Mario Kart 8 so bad.

ZfCLHnb.jpg

maxcriden

It's egregious to me because I don't care for the choice of color palette, added padded story and dialogue and the fact (from what Ive seen) that it appears like a cut n paste of the All Stars edition albeit with those added features.

It's really just me and my personal rose tinted glasses/"get off my lawn"/the orignal is the way to play syndrome. There was just something so magical about blowing the bejesus out of that cartridge, sticking it into the NES and watching that dull maroon curtain pull up with the occasional flicker. Same kind of feels I get when I pop it on the Wii VC (and soon the U).

I'm just saying, if you like it that much and you're that much of a Mario fan you owe it to yourself to play the original, the way it was originally built. I'm sure you'll notice a heap of differences. It should be out for the U soon anyway. It's already up on the VC eShop but it isnt downloadable yet.

Ah, okay. I see what you're saying. I'll try to check out the Wii U eShop version once it's out, maybe when I'm caught up on my backlog. I'm in World 8 now and really digging it quite a bit. The portability of a game like this is great for playing it in small bits and pieces. Anyway, maybe I'll do a no coin run on the eShop version or something. :)

(SMW/2 are next up on GBA though!)

Sioen

So I finally bought the game today and the guy from the store asked if I knew this was for the wii u, he told me a lot of children got this game as a present from sinterklaas (holiday) but only had a wii.. Jeezes Christ people still don't know the fucking difference?
Anyhow awesome game from what I've played.

How do the ghosts work in this? Does it spawn ghosts that are faster than my time so that I always have something to compete against time wise? If so thats great and it'll be a lot of fun trying to get the best times.

CassSept

Whew, done. No items, Fox only, Final Destination, oh yeah.

Now onto finishing Crown World. I was surprised I actually died on Crown Captain Toad Stage, they were pretty ingenious but never really that difficult.

Mystery House Marathon will be harder though. I'm halfway through it and after third failure at errr, 16th? Green Star I gave up for today.

Well only that and I'll only have to clear the game with every char, but I'll do that at leisurely pace and eventually complete it. about 95%+ of the game is rather easy so it will be nice to pop in the game and play to relax

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I finally bought the game today and the guy from the store asked if I knew this was for the wii u, he told me a lot of children got this game as a present from sinterklaas (holiday) but only had a wii.. Jeezes Christ people still don't know the fucking difference?
Anyhow awesome game from what I've played.

This seriously sucks, hope there wont be a ton of disappointed children at christmans eve :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Switchblack Ruins was a really cool level! I love these Zelda themed levels in the 3Dx-series!

Edit:shiiiiit, and then Red-Hot Run happened :O great stuff! Top notch

This seriously sucks, hope there wont be a ton of disappointed children at christmans eve :(

Wont someone think of the children!

tipoo

Banned
It did feel a bit strange to

fight the previous bosses in the game head-on and then not actually square off with Meowser* per se. I think it was kind of in line with the 3DL Bowser battles though where you are trying to dodge his attacks and make it to a switch to defeat him.

*just sent myself a letter containing this, ghetto copyright, come at me
Mario
bros

Exactly. He got all super powered, but then you don't really fight him, which was a bit off putting.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone do a five shiny star zero deaths run?
Yes.

I'd probably take the All-Stars version of SMB3 (and SMB2 USA) over the NES originals any day, and I didn't even own an SNES in its heyday. SMB3 was a game that I just never thought ran well on the NES. The constant pop-in at the screen edges is ugly, the colors in general are really muted compared to almost any other game in the series, and the sound effects that constantly cut into the music were jarring to me even when the game was new. Being able to revisit earlier worlds with new items is also a decent bonus.

Javier

Loving every minute of this game, and I still have some stars and stamps to collect. Beating the levels isn't hard at all, but 100% each and every one of them is hard as balls.

Also, my review.

gotoadgo

Never have I been demoralised by a level in a game the way I have with
Champions Road
NEVER. To give you guys some perspective, I beat the perfect run in Galaxy 2 in about 15 tries but for some reason this level demolished me time and time again. Thankfully it's done now, just need to do the final mystery house.

zoukka

The game clicked yesterday in world 4. The visuals truly are amazing and finally the levels now have some challenge to a vet like me. And the soundtrack is galaxy levels of quality. Can't wait to continue.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just finished collecting all stars, stamps, and golden flags. Now onto the final challenge. This game, guys. This fucking game!

I could breeze through stages or keep getting my ass kicked at a certain spot yet still never get tired of this game. There is just so much charm, mere words don't do it justice. I can't think of a single person who wouldn't enjoy this game. As for the visuals and dat 60fps, HD Nintendo is best Nintendo. I jizzed rainbows.

I live for games like this. When gamers start to lose hope in an increasingly twisted industry emphasizing gritty mo-capped 5 hour long me-too shooters laden with DLC, online passes, and, microtransactions; Nintendo manages to show us what pure fun is.

What a way to wrap up the year and what a year for gaming, especially from Nintendo. Looking at the sheer amount of quality games Nintendo released this year, anyone who wishes for Nintendo's demise can fuck off into space.

Well MarioGaf, got around to beating the last vanilla world and up to this point, I have to say that Nintendo's design philosophy just doesnt do it for.me anymore. Up until the credits, there was nothing that did anything for me. As I sit here, only the last world has stuck in my head. I can't remember anything prior. The boss fight, while amusing, was anti climatic and seems rushed to the finish and as I watched the credits, I could only think of how cool the jazzy tune sounded.

Between a link between world, pikmin, and this, I can't help but think Nintendo just isn't for me anymore (loved wind waker and fire emblem tho).

BUT....then I play post world in this game and I'm all smiles. And I'm dying. And I'm thinking how the difficulty herd mirrors some of Super Mario Worlds latter half stages . It's perfect, it's pretty, it's challenging. It's old school Nintendo. And I hope this post world isn't the only post world and I hope there's dlc akin to what is here.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I continue to simultaneously play 3D land and love the more streamlined design, the colors and catchy tunes. As mentioned in previous posts, I find it vastly easier to judge distance of my jumps (something I continued have problems with in 3D world until credits). It didn't hurt that land hit all the right nostalgic notes. It's easy, but better designed in my opinion.

So yeah, love post world Nintendo. I don't have care for everything that came before. I hope I see more.

Did you bother 100%ing 3D World? I'm only on World 8 and I've easily died over 100 times. Definitely not that easy of a game (downright frustrating at times), and way better than 3D Land imo.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Maybe we'll get a Super Luigi 3D World expansion for those who didn't find this game hard enough.

Sixfortyfive

Maybe we'll get a Super Luigi 3D World expansion for those who didn't find this game hard enough.
I kind of think NSLU came up a little short in that regard. It starts out harder than NSMBU's story mode but ends up plateauing at roughly the same place, and NSMBU's Challenge Mode still puts it to shame on that front. Good game, though.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Well MarioGaf, got around to beating the last vanilla world and up to this point, I have to say that Nintendo's design philosophy just doesnt do it for.me anymore. Up until the credits, there was nothing that did anything for me. As I sit here, only the last world has stuck in my head. I can't remember anything prior. The boss fight, while amusing, was anti climatic and seems rushed to the finish and as I watched the credits, I could only think of how cool the jazzy tune sounded.

Between a link between world, pikmin, and this, I can't help but think Nintendo just isn't for me anymore (loved wind waker and fire emblem tho).

BUT....then I play post world in this game and I'm all smiles. And I'm dying. And I'm thinking how the difficulty herd mirrors some of Super Mario Worlds latter half stages . It's perfect, it's pretty, it's challenging. It's old school Nintendo. And I hope this post world isn't the only post world and I hope there's dlc akin to what is here.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I continue to simultaneously play 3D land and love the more streamlined design, the colors and catchy tunes. As mentioned in previous posts, I find it vastly easier to judge distance of my jumps (something I continued have problems with in 3D world until credits). It didn't hurt that land hit all the right nostalgic notes. It's easy, but better designed in my opinion.

So yeah, love post world Nintendo. I don't have care for everything that came before. I hope I see more.

Super Mario World is my favorite game ever - but it is not at all difficult. This game is about on the same level - and the postgame content is waaaay harder.

BowieZ

Banned
I don't know why but I really don't like how level themes are randomly jumbled up. Well, let's say I much prefer when there is a semblance of a thematic approach to world design.

Like, there seems to be basically one of each level trope in each world. And I think they could have crafted a really adventurous layout if they had paired them all up a bit more sensibly. For some reason I have less desire to go back and play random levels than I do "experiencing" the spirit of adventure progressing through a more 'logical, natural' environment.

Again, dunno why.

I don't know why but I really don't like how level themes are randomly jumbled up. Well, let's say I much prefer when there is a semblance of a thematic approach to world design.

Like, there seems to be basically one of each level trope in each world. And I think they could have crafted a really adventurous layout if they had paired them all up a bit more sensibly. For some reason I have less desire to go back and play random levels than I do "experiencing" the spirit of adventure progressing through a more 'logical, natural' environment.

Again, dunno why.

I prefer it when they're jumbled up. I used to always get sick of a world's theme before I had finished the world. Now everything feels fresh.

Sixfortyfive

Again, dunno why.
I'm with you. It's easier to remember which levels were in which parts of the map when there's actually a rhyme and reason for it.

Rlan

I've been enjoying the game for the most part, but i kind of got depressed when i got to 5-3 - the "savanna" stage.

The stage starts out pretty nice with some fub parts using the ant troopers, but then it geta to the savanna - a giant, flat, boring level section that's tge closest it's gotten to "open world" mario and it suuuuucks!

It's boring, the game can barely handle it with the amount of pop in going on, it's the same grass texture over and over, and the camera sucks to use in such a large spot, especially if you're chasing after a rabbit.

Just... Why? It's the closest it's gotten to one of the bigger worlds from a galaxy or 64 and it suucked! Man..

Continuing on though.

Hermii

What about panic mode HD Nintendo? ;>

Panic Nintendo gave us Sunshine and Wind Waker.

Iwatas Nintendo gave us ALBW and 3d world (and many more).

Iwata gets a lot of hate but I think its commendable that he refuses to rush titles even if it means delays when delays is the last thing Nintendo needs.

zigg

I've been enjoying the game for the most part, but i kind of got depressed when i got to 5-3 - the "savanna" stage.

The stage starts out pretty nice with some fub parts using the ant troopers, but then it geta to the savanna - a giant, flat, boring level section that's tge closest it's gotten to "open world" mario and it suuuuucks!
It's an aberration in an otherwise-excellent game. Don't worry too much about it.

Top Bottom