• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

mantidor

I got this yesterday!

Almost couldn't put it down, finished the first two world's already, I'm still trying to get used to dpad controls though.

Woah did not notice this before. This is online only?

(In the midst on concoting sly plan to buy 3DWorld and Pikmin only to return Pikmin and get the 50% off SM3DW. I already own Pikmin)

I went and bought SM3DW yesterday and the guy told me the deal would work in store even though I ended up not getting another game. So I guess it's just depends on the store oddly since Japtor said his store told him online only.

Frodo

Finally bought this game!

Around 15 minutes to download and install and I'll finally be able to play it! :D

Edit: also, first time I'm doing this because I didn't know until now, but it is cheaper to buy the download code at Game then buying the game directly from the eShop. £42.99 against £49.99 at the eShop.

Ferrio

Banned
Beat the main game, onto the bonus levels.

As for power-ups:

-Cat suit, very useful... but kinda used waaaaay too much in the game. Maybe too useful.
-Tanooki is a shadow of it's former self.. I don't even understand why it's in the game
-Koopa suit a good power up.

My absolute favorite is the cherry though. I loved every stage that used this item, and it should of been leveraged a lot more in other levels.

taybul

My absolute favorite is the cherry though. I loved every stage that used this item, and it should of been leveraged a lot more in other levels.

The one thing I remember about the cherry is the music on the stage where they introduce it. Man I love that song.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Good to see I'm not the only person who thinks
Champion's Road
is super hard! I died 250 times before finally completing it =).

Lumyst

Pretty much.

It's a fantastic game, and it's a shame to see it and the Wii U fail.

The hope was to make a 3D Mario that the New Super Mario players would enjoy, and to make one people could enjoy together. Comparing sales of NSMBU to 3DW shows that it didn't work that way, unfortunately :-( I always wondered about when "modifications" are made to a series in order to get more people to try it, how those people who it was intended to attract would even know about those changes. Would they think "I usually don't like 3D Mario games, but now THIS one was made just for me!" Or "Zelda's are so hard to understand, but now that there's Fi, I can play and understand them now!"

shawnlreed

Finally beat
Champion's Road
today. Very satisfying to finally do so.
I'm not sure I have the time to beat every level with all 5 characters to get 5 stars.
Super fun game though.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Mario 3D World jumped up 21 spots on Amazon's top sellers (41 to 20). Nintendo fans unite after panicking over the NPD numbers? =P.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I noticed lol. Next thread will probably complain as to why Luigi can't jump any higher or why Toad is blue.

Peach's speed is very slow... just like this game's sales.

fuck the haters. This is my second favorite game of the year after Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Bleep

I can't stop playing this game, after 100% the regular game I have started going back to all the levels to beat them with each character. There are a lot of interesting tricks that let each character approach levels in unique ways. You can hit Hisstocrat without waiting for platforms to appear if you pick Luigi and use his spin jump! I captured a video of me playing through that boss fight exploiting that trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gigh90uki-4

G0523

OMFG!!! I FINALLY BEAT
CHAMPION'S ROAD
!!!!!

Holy crap! It probably took me over 100 tries but I did it dammit! I finally did it! I'm so ecstatic!

Now my profile has FOUR GLITTERY STARS--Wait a minute. FOUR?! Ugh. I need to play all the levels as the rest of the characters?! Too much. I'm done with this game. I've had my victory. I don't need to do it four more times.

But still! WOOHOO! So happy to be done!

Deku Tree

OMFG!!! I FINALLY BEAT
CHAMPION'S ROAD
!!!!!

Holy crap! It probably took me over 100 tries but I did it dammit! I finally did it! I'm so ecstatic!

Now my profile has FOUR GLITTERY STARS--Wait a minute. FOUR?! Ugh. I need to play all the levels as the rest of the characters?! Too much. I'm done with this game. I've had my victory. I don't need to do it four more times.

But still! WOOHOO! So happy to be done!

I got four stars and I haven't beat it. Tried over 100 times or more too. There is one jump I just can't make. Watched videos too.

maxcriden

I noticed lol. Next thread will probably complain as to why Luigi can't jump any higher or why Toad is blue.

TBH I really don't know why they went with the Blue Toad. In SMB2 it's Red Toad. Why does Nintendo shun this Red Toad now? Are they this desperate to get away from colors associated with the violent video games they try so hard to avoid making???

Joking of course.

TBH I really don't know why they went with the Blue Toad. In SMB2 it's Red Toad. Why does Nintendo shun this Red Toad now? Are they this desperate to get away from colors associated with the violent video games they try so hard to avoid making???

Joking of course.

its cause marios primary color is red in menu select and in general so they pretty much had to go with blue, unless they make marios color blue but he's better known for red, red is the heroes color

Roo

The last beep block jump somewhat early in the level. It seems like I need to do a long jump but I never have time to make it. I hate those...

I had to use Rosalina and her spin attack to gain a bit of extra height.
That or use a Tanooki suit with any character.

Davey Cakes

I have all green stars, gold flags, and stamps through World Star with the exception of the most recent Captain Toad stage.

I conveyed it in one of the other 3D World threads but it's crazy how there are so many stages in this game and yet I can't see any of them as "same-y" at all. Obviously mechanics are reused but there seems to be an original concept in just about every stage. Nothing feels truly redundant. Definitely a contrast to 3D Land, as good as that game is.

zroid

Banned
I have all green stars, gold flags, and stamps through World Star with the exception of the most recent Captain Toad stage.

I conveyed it in one of the other 3D World threads but it's crazy how there are so many stages in this game and yet I can't see any of them as "same-y" at all. Obviously mechanics are reused but there seems to be an original concept in just about every stage. Nothing feels truly redundant. Definitely a contrast to 3D Land, as good as that game is.

The only stages which feel like that are the ones in Worlds Mushroom and Flower. Because they literally are remixed and/or amped up versions of older stages!

Roo

I.. I don't know if I will be able to beat
Champion's Road
5 times :S
or the last Mistery House for that matter.

I mean...
Champion's Road
is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to beat in multiplayer.
Everyone need to be perfectly synchronized or the lives counter goes down as fast as a damaged elevator.
Galaxy 2's Grandmaster Galaxy is piss easy compared to this moster.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Beat it with three players after beating it solo, but really only two of us actually did anything and the third just kept dying and wasting lives.

It was only really bad when he decided to try and rush ahead so we couldn't keep up without dying. So we would either die or get trapped in bubbles for falling behind, and then he would die and we had to start over.

I don't think the last mystery house is that bad. The first two characters took a long time and a lot of failed attempts. The third character took less than 10, fourth in 2 attempts, and the last character on the first try.

hiro4

Defeated bowser today with my son.
Amazing game but holy shit. The level before the last level with the rotating blocks kept killing us.

I think we died at least 50 times before finally clearing it. But we did it. Up to the secret levels :D

krae_man

Man I wish I could hit "start select" while playing a level and keep the powerups I've collected. It's a minor thing, but if I realize I need a specific powerup in a level for a coin, I don't like having to play an entire level to get it.

Granted with the way 3D World does things, if I take a hit and lose the powerup before I get to the point I need it I can exit out and I'll have the power up back, but I think I would still prefer the Super Mario World way of doing things.

G0523

The last beep block jump somewhat early in the level. It seems like I need to do a long jump but I never have time to make it. I hate those...

The Tanooki suit helps immensely. The way I handled that was jumping from the last pink block to the actual platform where the green star is.

Frodo

This game, I'm telling you... this game!

Everything starts very familiar, but when you step in World 2 and you get to play the Shadow Alley stage and then the Double Cherry one... you know you are in for a blast.

Playing it with a smile on my face all the time! EAD Tokyo can do no wrong! :D

ajjow

Just finished... Game of the yeat... What was that last boss... God dawm son... Nintendo is going down in sales but the games are getting better, even though im tired of mario...

Best mario ever? Dont know, but top 3 for sure

Champions Road
is kicking my ass. Made it to the final star only to lose it. I even made it through with a Tanooki suit to spare. Holy hell has it been fun losing so many times at this level though.

Robin64

Toad was blue in Mario 2

:<

smb2_carrying_toad_big.png

llamarawk

Crown
World spoiler ahead:
So i just unlocked crown world and loved and beat the Captain toad level and got about 10 stars deep in the Mystery House marathon then tried the first level crown-crown. Holy shit is this level kicking my ass. Burned 100 lives just now I think. I'm having issues on the beat blocks part. WTF is with them being completely off rhythm with the music? Is this the first time they've been like this because this is the first time I can I can think of? Anyway, I've tried with Peach and Toad and I think Peach has been easier but still have died that part every time. Any suggestions?

Deku Tree

Crown
World spoiler ahead:
So i just unlocked crown world and loved and beat the Captain toad level and got about 10 stars deep in the Mystery House marathon then tried the first level crown-crown. Holy shit is this level kicking my ass. Burned 100 lives just now I think. I'm having issues on the beat blocks part. WTF is with them being completely off rhythm with the music? Is this the first time they've been like this because this is the first time I can I can think of? Anyway, I've tried with Peach and Toad and I think Peach has been easier but still have died that part every time. Any suggestions?

People say to use a tanooki suit.

Top Bottom