• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Yo so doesnt anyone want Max's stickers? If not, Im gonna gank them all, stick em on my ass and then post it all over Miiverse while eating a bowl of macaroni and cheese.
I want them but I haven't had time to take a picture of my favorite moment in the game yet. :(

Gsnap

Is there a known spot for farming lives? I'm finally down to 0 trying to 100% certain levels.

There are spots where you can do it without having to do anything yourself.

World 1. Level 2. At the very beginning of the level, where you ground pound the purple blocks to get to the lower room, take a shell to the small doorway and do the trick in the doorway. Throw the shell then immediately jump. You'll get hit once, making you small, but then once you're small the character will bounce on their own and the counter will go up super fast because the space is so small you hit the shell at a higher rate.

Here.

Obviously don't click the link if you don't wanna know, folks. : )

That'll get you up quick.

Downhome

Well, I just got to and experienced Red-Hot Run. Over and over and over and over again actually. Oh, and over and over and over and over again. Wow.

Is there a known spot for farming lives? I'm finally down to 0 trying to 100% certain levels.

World 1-2.
Jump on top of a Koopa Troopa and pick up it's shell. Keep jumping on it between the pillars (don't get hit). You can put the gamepad away (infinite lives confirmed).

Finally got all the flags, stars, and stamps with under 100 deaths even!
That number immediately changed upon playing the final levels.

Anyways, I absolutely adored this game. It's pure fun on a disc. This year has seen a lot of great games, but Nintendo has really outdone themselves this year. Between this, A Link Between Worlds, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon it's been one hell of a year coming from Nintendo.

I do wonder if this game's impact would have been greater if 3d Land had never come out. Both amazing games, but 3D World definitely does feel like an upgraded sequel to 3D Land that does a lot of the same things similarly.

Malus

I forgot which world it is, but I can't imagine doing that "Cakewalk" level (with the flipping tiles everytime you jump) with 4 players. It's already a pain in the ass with 2. And the "rocket" level after that... damn that was intense.

I remember the E3 trailer showed a quick clip of 4 players running on those flipping platforms together. I'd love to see a full Mario club video of that stage.

zigg

There are only 5 in the game, one for each character.
Don't really care. They're stupid.

"oh you're not Peach lol"

I mean this is basically my only complaint about the game, other than the savannah level being a big empty field. Remainder of game is awesome.

Roo

So guys.... What the hell am I doing wrong?
ieBHlilf9UodR.jpg

I replayed Star-1 and Star-3 like.. three times already for the timer thing but nothing seems to work. I keep getting those --- lines.
As you can see I already have all the stars, stamps and even the golden pole.
Nothing! any suggestions? :(

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
http://i7.minus.com/ieBHlilf9UodR.jpg
I replayed Star-1 and Star-3 like.. three times already for the timer thing but nothing seems to work. I keep getting those --- lines.
Don't die mid-stage. It doesn't count runs that start from the checkpoint.

Not necessarily. There's other stuff like invisible platforms to discover, and playing levels differently depend on what powerups you take. Besides, so what if you have all the green stars and stamps? That doesn't mean a couple of months from now it won't be fun to get them all over again.

This, and also the cleverly hidden 8 bit Luigis :)

Linkyn

I believe you get the line if you die within the stage and continue from a checkpoint. This basically cuts your time short and would give a falsified time, so it doesn't count. In other words, you have to beat the stages without dying after the checkpoint

Edit:

other than the savannah level being a big empty field. Remainder of game is awesome.

To be fair, though, a savannah is basically a big empty field. Shame about the sales, but I guess I'd rather play great games that don't sell than mediocre ones that do.

Roo

Don't die mid-stage. It doesn't count runs that start from the checkpoint.

I believe you get the line if you die within the stage and continue from a checkpoint. This basically cuts your time short and would give a falsified time, so it doesn't count. In other words, you have to beat the stages without dying after the checkpoint.

Didn't know that D:
But I finally did it!! \o/
Second half of ★-1 was really annoying tho.
Thanks for your help guys :D

Kokonoe

Banned
The slime electric things remind me of the stingray electricity ghost things in Mario Sunshine. Similar electricity sound too.

Best Buy is having a buy 1 get 1 50% off for select Nintendo titles (SM3DW included) this week.

Woah did not notice this before. This is online only?

(In the midst on concoting sly plan to buy 3DWorld and Pikmin only to return Pikmin and get the 50% off SM3DW. I already own Pikmin)

Oidisco

I'm kinda surprised, but I think the beach theme is my favourite song in the game to just listen to on its own. It's just really relaxing for some reason

monome

a litle off-topic but what are Zelda LbW sales?

in both 3DWorld and W101 cases (sales wise), it's just the World not being right. it happens. c'est la vie.

Edit : Zelda is 405,000. nice I suppose and it's Murricah only, right (NPD numbers)?

Joei

Well, I made it to the last mystery house and the last level, I'm pretty sure I'm done though. I really don't think I can beat those two levels. I got all stars and stamps on all the other levels, but those two, eh... I already don't have a high opinion of this game and to keep dying like a million times to be stuck in the same 30 second sequence, I think I'll pass

japtor

Woah did not notice this before. This is online only?

(In the midst on concoting sly plan to buy 3DWorld and Pikmin only to return Pikmin and get the 50% off SM3DW. I already own Pikmin)
I asked in store today and they said online only, maybe you'll have better luck.

They also have eShop cash cards for 20% off right now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The Super Secret Character THAT NO-ONE KNOWS WHO IS is sooooooooooooo slooow

cute though
and great to have that spin swoosh on a level like Super Galaxy, especially for that stamp

and how about we keep the sales talk to the NPD or the dedicated 3D world sales thread, huh?

Weren't the sale for 3D world for the first 8 days only? The official PR says that Mario 3D world sold over 215K in its first 8 days. Nintendo aren't the type to boast about mediocre sales.

JakeD

loved the
zelda sounds and music in rainbow run
. makes up for all the times i wanted to throw my controller in that level

Linkhero1

Oh God..

I haven't beaten
Champion's Road
yet but it's become so easy for me to get up to the second star. With a little more patience I will complete the level with just Mario.

Timeaisis

Oh God..

I haven't beaten
Champion's Road
yet but it's become so easy for me to get up to the second star. With a little more patience I will complete the level with just Mario.

You've been at it for a while, eh? I had to stop on Monday, because I was getting too frustrated. I'll probably try again this weekend. I've gotten to the 2nd star just once, but can pretty consistently get to the
swinging spike part
now. I just have to figure out how to do that without getting hit...

Linkhero1

You've been at it for a while, eh? I had to stop on Monday, because I was getting too frustrated. I'll probably try again this weekend. I've gotten to the 2nd star just once, but can pretty consistently get to the
swinging spike part

I stopped for almost a week. Got back to it yesterday and my brother figured out how to do most of it so I learned from him >.> My timing when platforming still sucks. I end up dying at the
swinging spikes
most of the time haha.

guek

Banned
This game makes me so sad Nintendo isn't doing better :-( such poor business decisions preventing proper recognition

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
swinging spike part

That part is designed for you to run right through it without stopping. The more you stop to think, the higher your chances of getting confused and messing up. At most, you should be stopped to wait for the moving platform.

Linkhero1

That part is designed for you to run right through it without stopping. The more you stop to think, the higher your chances of getting confused and messing up. At most, you should be stopped to wait for the moving platform.

I feel that's really the design of the level as whole. At any moment where you stop and think, you'll most likely end up dying. There are a few points where you catch a break, but I do much better and advance farther when I don't take those breaks.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I feel that's really the design of the level as whole. At any moment where you stop and think, you'll most likely end up dying. There are a few points where you catch a break, but I do much better and advance farther when I don't take those breaks.

That's true and part of the beauty of that level. Even after the 100th death, there is never any downtime and the player can sprint through the sections which they are comfortable with.

taybul

I feel this whole level is more about consistency. Find your best route/timing and stick to it. Even at the very last part with the
speed boosters
there's a very specific timing and set of movements I make. I find the swinging spikes section to be a relief since I have my route down pat and as always, fuck the beat blocks section.

Linkhero1

I feel this whole level is more about consistency. Find your best route/timing and stick to it. Even at the very last part with the
speed boosters
there's a very specific timing and set of movements I make. I find the swinging spikes section to be a relief since I have my route down pat and as always, fuck the beat blocks section.

I think the beat blocks is easy once you get the rhythm down. I almost never die in that section anymore. I die at the
swinging spikes
most of the time because I don't know how to be patient :(

CassSept

I agree about stopping to think. It's worst during
Beat Block part
, you stutter for half a second and that's it.

About that part that's being talked about, this is my strategy:

Obviously jump to the second platform, jump over first two swinging spikes

Now, when the yellow platform arrives to you get on it and as it starts moving jump right as the spike is about to hit you, but not far enough, just enough to be next to fuzzies and being able to land on the platform under you.

Now, flip jump over the fuzzies, it's high enough to not be hit by it. Jump over the next two swinging spikes, quickly run right and jump as high as you can, you should miss the fuzzies by about an inch and not get hit if you jump at the very end of the block

Now this is the trickiest part and you need the exact timing and good control over Mario to pull it off. Get on the yellow platform, jump over the first swinging spike, then jump right over the second swinging spike and as soon as you touch the platform long jump to the right. The gap is short enough for you to reach it and you should barely, but still, outspeed the returning swinging spike.

Then again, if you got that part down in a different way it's better to not overcomplicate things now. Finding your own rhythm is the key to this level.

Top Bottom