• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

eXistor

I've just reached the 7th world. Is it just me or are the levels very very short?

I recall that galaxy levels at least lasted 2-3 minutes. In 3D World, the timer most times doesn't reach 200.

They're short like in the old Mario's, but only if you go straight through them. There's a bunch of secrets in every level. I don't feel they're too short myself.

dkeane

Only at world 5 but this game is amazing. Going for every green star and gold flagpole before I move on.
Battlefield 4 on PS4 is on hold. This game is too good.

Kokonoe

Banned
Only at world 5 but this game is amazing. Going for every green star and gold flagpole before I move on.
Battlefield 4 on PS4 is on hold. This game is too good.

Yeah, this Mario game is fun and has tons of soul. You can see all the effort they put into this one. So gud.

javac

Fuck
Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark
! Fuck it to hell! I've got every star, stamp and gold flag apart from the last two stars in this level. I'm pulling my fucking hair out. It's not even hard but it's psyching me the fuck out. I'm sooo pissed. I want to kill someone. I might just do it with multiplayer. Solo'd everythingso far. FUCK!

Deku Tree

Fuck
! Fuck it to hell! I've got every star, stamp and gold flag apart from the last two stars in this level. I'm pulling my fucking hair out. It's not even hard but it's psyching me the fuck out. I'm sooo pissed. I want to kill someone. I might just do it with multiplayer. Solo'd everythingso far. FUCK!

Yeah that one is hard. The second star is really the hardest. The third star is just gravy. Maybe try getting the third star first? Take a break Try again later on.

Fuck
The second star has been kicking my ass pretty bad, very frustrating. Got the third one, though.

javac

Yeah that one is hard. The second star is really the hardest. The third star is just gravy. Maybe try getting the third star first? Take a break Try again later on.

The second star has been kicking my ass pretty bad, very frustrating. Got the third one, though.

Thanks. I assume the second star is found
by lighting all the tourches after you get through the initial green pipe?
I'm guessing the last star is
at the final stretch before the flagpole.

Man it's kicking my ass. I nearly did it multiple times. Man...It's not just me right? This is truly one of the hardest in the whole game. The second star in
Back to Hands-on Hall
also kicked my ass.

I need a break. I can almost taste it...

zroid

Banned
Thanks. I assume the second star is found
by lighting all the tourches after you get through the initial green pipe?
I'm guessing the last star is
at the final stretch before the flagpole.

Man it's kicking my ass. I nearly did it multiple times. Man...It's not just me right? This is truly one of the hardest in the whole game. The second star in
Back to Hands-on Hall
also kicked my ass.

I need a break. I can almost taste it...
yeah that second green star is brutal. it's not just you, lol.

javac

yeah that second green star is brutal. it's not just you, lol.

I'm going to cry. I'm being pushed to my limits here. It's doable. I can do it but man it's tough. I need a break. My family think i'm going mad lol. Done it all solo without using the white tanoki suit. Got everything apart from these 2 stars.

Lets get rid of this negative feeling by talking about the music. Sooo good. The credits music = amazing.
Star, mushroom and flower world
music is also amazing.

FWIW, my review of the game (assuming the last 2 worlds don't completely blow my mind):

My brother and I played for about 5 hours overnight and 2 hours the next day (we tried to be thorough as we went through every stage, and we completed world 6). Here's my stab at a brief review.

1. What the game does right:
Multiplayer in a 3D Mario game is a huge first, and in our case it was a lot of fun (both of us are experienced gamers, so playing through levels with someone of equal skill was really fun). The areas that were the most enjoyable in multiplayer were the ones where we had to coordinate with each other to progress (or to get secrets). For example, the Plessie levels where we had to control the dino together, or the Red / Blue jump flip levels. Of course, there are more minor moments of this throughout, like when one person has the cat suit, but the the other person notices a green star that you need the cat suit to get to. Communication is needed and it's fun in a 3D platformer.

The variety in the game is excellent. The amount of time between re-used ideas was significant, and when they were reused, it was in a different / more challenging way. For example, the first time you ride Plessie, versus the second.

Level length is perfect. The size of each level feels like a perfect bite - not too long, not too short. More like Super Mario 3, rather than Mario World.

Multiplayer has greater depth due to the different skills of each character.

The new way of navigating the overworld map is a small, but nice improvement, since you can explore and find little secrets here and there.

The cat suit is a fun powerup that invites you to explore even further.

2. What the game doesn't do so well
The characters move too slowly, which has several impacts. The way it's implemented now, the "full speed" sprint is the only speed that feels good, and since you have to work your way up to it, it always feels like you're fighting against some sort of molasses to get there. Second, sometimes the "full speed" burst kicks when I didn't realize it would, and it messes up the platforming.

Using the Wiimote Dpad to control characters in a 3D space sucks, and the fact that the game is often in an isometric viewpoint (which looks great) means that you'll often be pressing to the right and up on the Dpad at the same time - not the most comfortable position. Also, it sometimes felt like I was pushing to the right, but I was really also triggering the up direction, which made the side scroll sections, especially to the flagpole, often a "miss" for me as I would go off in the vertical direction slight and mess up my aim. My brother, who played with the Gamepad, had no such problems, and when I tried playing with the Gamepad, it was much better. Not sure if the Pro controller requires you to use the Dpad -- if it doesn't (meaning, if it lets you use the analog stick), I would go as far as to say that it's the only real way to play the game (Gamepad + Pro Controllers).

These two things (especially the Wiimote DPad issue) broke the experience for me, I'm sad to say.

Final Verdict: Playing with the Gamepad: 9/10; Playing with Wiimotes: 8/10.

javac

Thanks. Will give it a go later. By the way how is everyone fairing? Two more stars T_T
ZLa0Vzi.jpg

CrisKre

FWIW, my review of the game (assuming the last 2 worlds don't completely blow my mind):

My brother and I played for about 5 hours overnight and 2 hours the next day (we tried to be thorough as we went through every stage, and we completed world 6). Here's my stab at a brief review.

1. What the game does right:
Multiplayer in a 3D Mario game is a huge first, and in our case it was a lot of fun (both of us are experienced gamers, so playing through levels with someone of equal skill was really fun). The areas that were the most enjoyable in multiplayer were the ones where we had to coordinate with each other to progress (or to get secrets). For example, the Plessie levels where we had to control the dino together, or the Red / Blue jump flip levels. Of course, there are more minor moments of this throughout, like when one person has the cat suit, but the the other person notices a green star that you need the cat suit to get to. Communication is needed and it's fun in a 3D platformer.

The variety in the game is excellent. The amount of time between re-used ideas was significant, and when they were reused, it was in a different / more challenging way. For example, the first time you ride Plessie, versus the second.

Level length is perfect. The size of each level feels like a perfect bite - not too long, not too short. More like Super Mario 3, rather than Mario World.

Multiplayer has greater depth due to the different skills of each character.

The new way of navigating the overworld map is a small, but nice improvement, since you can explore and find little secrets here and there.

The cat suit is a fun powerup that invites you to explore even further.

2. What the game doesn't do so well
The characters move too slowly, which has several impacts. The way it's implemented now, the "full speed" sprint is the only speed that feels good, and since you have to work your way up to it, it always feels like you're fighting against some sort of molasses to get there. Second, sometimes the "full speed" burst kicks when I didn't realize it would, and it messes up the platforming.

Using the Wiimote Dpad to control characters in a 3D space sucks, and the fact that the game is often in an isometric viewpoint (which looks great) means that you'll often be pressing to the right and up on the Dpad at the same time - not the most comfortable position. Also, it sometimes felt like I was pushing to the right, but I was really also triggering the up direction, which made the side scroll sections, especially to the flagpole, often a "miss" for me as I would go off in the vertical direction slight and mess up my aim. My brother, who played with the Gamepad, had no such problems, and when I tried playing with the Gamepad, it was much better. Not sure if the Pro controller requires you to use the Dpad -- if it doesn't (meaning, if it lets you use the analog stick), I would go as far as to say that it's the only real way to play the game (Gamepad + Pro Controllers).

These two things (especially the Wiimote DPad issue) broke the experience for me, I'm sad to say.

play the last to worlds. That's where the meat of the game is for more hard core players like us.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Been playing this game a lot over the weekend. The first worlds were ok, but I'm in 6 now and the level design is getting better with each world... The last stage I beat had the square pin rack enemies, and that weird boss. Very fun level.

I love the messaging/stamp system. It's great to finish a level and see a variety of reactions scroll by. Just an overall fun little addition.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck

oddly enough my biggest problem with this level was getting the gold flag :|

uberluigi

Banned
Just got all green stars and gold flag poles just need to get the 5 final stamps then I'm done. This game was amazing and well worth the purchase.

chris3116

Next week, I'll play this game. It's been 2 weeks that I bought the game but I waited for the Christmas vacation to play the game. Mario + Christmas = Big smile to my face.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fuck

Oh the number of lives I lost to this level. Insanely difficult. >>;

Hey, spoiler-ly question:
So I've heard there are specific stamps unlocked when you complete levels with every character. As excited as I am to nab 'em, does the game have some of record indicating which levels are completed with which character like 3D Land did with Mario and Luigi? For the record, I'm still at World Star, so I dunno if it does this later?

afoni

Banned
So I've heard there are specific stamps unlocked when you complete levels with every character. As excited as I am to nab 'em, does the game have some of record indicating which levels are completed with which character like 3D Land did with Mario and Luigi? For the record, I'm still at World Star, so I dunno if it does this later?

yes

Son Of D

Once you get to
World Crown
you get a little indicator that shows you who you reached the flagpole with. Doesn't matter if it's to the top or not.

Others have already suggested this, but I agree you should try plugging in a nunchuck if you can. It allows you to use an analog stick and the controls are pretty much the same as the Galaxy games, which controlled fine imo.

potam

Banned
What's the extent of touch screen use in this game? Mine is broken, and I see that it supports the pro controller, so I'm thinking about picking one of those up this week.

D-e-f-

Banned

Did you just make this or did that exist before? lol

What's the extent of touch screen use in this game? Mine is broken, and I see that it supports the pro controller, so I'm thinking about picking one of those up this week.

It is mandatory for a few levels. Mandatory as in even if you select a Pro Controller the game tells you to switch to the GamePad for that level. Don't remember which ones exactly and if they are optional (as in ones that are on a split path).

mantidor

I love the hidden Luigi's. Didnt expect that in this game.

Seriously I freaked out the first time I saw one.

I'm really stuck with this green star, the one where you have to jump several of those sleepy piranha plants, I can't get the timing right, what is the idea behind it? I feel like I jump high at random but that can be, can it? that would make it impossible -_-, there are far more difficult stars later in the game so I think I'm missing some obvious jumping mechanic.

mo60

I can not believe I lost my chance to get those shiny stars on my profile for this game because that level in world 2 where you had to blow into the microphone. I never knew that you can blow into the microphone to make the platforms in that level move towards you.I kept on killing myself to get to those platforms.Besides that level I really haven't died that much.

mantidor

I can not believe I lost my chance to get those shiny stars on my profile for this game because that level in world 2 where you had to blow into the microphone. I never knew that you can blow into the microphone to make the platforms in that level move towards you.I kept on killing myself to get to those platforms.Besides that level I really haven't died that much.

I don't think it matter if you die a lot, it matters if you use the white tanooki suit, as long as you keep away from it you'll get shiny stars.

HUELEN10

Saw this today, lolz.

Is there any way to allow stamps but not allow Sprixie Miis? I am completing the game, and it would be nice to enable the former, but not the latter.

Also: Classic Controller Pro is the best controller, at least in my opinion; It's as good as the Pro Controller, but with the added bonus of having an octagonal gate which works wonders for this game.

Next week, I'll play this game. It's been 2 weeks that I bought the game but I waited for the Christmas vacation to play the game. Mario + Christmas = Big smile to my face.

I gave into the hype and started playing this. Glad I did since it's all we have been doing every night the past 2 weeks. Honestly my kids wouldn't have touched there Christmas gifts if we opened it on Christmas.

Top Bottom