• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Robin64

I'm having issues on the beat blocks part. WTF is with them being completely off rhythm with the music? Is this the first time they've been like this because this is the first time I can I can think of?

They're not in time with the music, no, they just alternate at a high (but constant) speed.

Chorazin

Boss Blitz was actually fun because of the time limit. Really forced you to "learn" how to defeat the bosses most efficiently. Tough as nails, but so satisfying.

No, not at all. Bosses are the worst part of any Mario game for me.

And of course I beat it but didn't get the fucking gold flag so I have to do it AGAIN.

zroid

Banned
No, not at all. Bosses are the worst part of any Mario game for me.

And of course I beat it but didn't get the fucking gold flag so I have to do it AGAIN.

That's the thing, normally they aren't too great, but Boss Blitz changed that (imo, of course).

J.W.Crazy

I can't stop playing this game, after 100% the regular game I have started going back to all the levels to beat them with each character. There are a lot of interesting tricks that let each character approach levels in unique ways. You can hit Hisstocrat without waiting for platforms to appear if you pick Luigi and use his spin jump! I captured a video of me playing through that boss fight exploiting that trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gigh90uki-4

I've used the spin jump trick with other characters too but nowhere near as consistently as you did there.

Roo

Crown
World spoiler ahead:
So i just unlocked crown world and loved and beat the Captain toad level and got about 10 stars deep in the Mystery House marathon then tried the first level crown-crown. Holy shit is this level kicking my ass. Burned 100 lives just now I think. I'm having issues on the beat blocks part. WTF is with them being completely off rhythm with the music? Is this the first time they've been like this because this is the first time I can I can think of? Anyway, I've tried with Peach and Toad and I think Peach has been easier but still have died that part every time. Any suggestions?

Watch this video.
I did the exact same thing during the beat block part. Felt so good.
You need to think fast aka don't think at all, just do it.

If you don't feel too much confidence doing that then yeah, your only option is using Tanooki suit.

Deku Tree

I can't stop playing this game, after 100% the regular game I have started going back to all the levels to beat them with each character. There are a lot of interesting tricks that let each character approach levels in unique ways. You can hit Hisstocrat without waiting for platforms to appear if you pick Luigi and use his spin jump! I captured a video of me playing through that boss fight exploiting that trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gigh90uki-4

Can you do that with
Rosalina
too?

EasyMode

Any tips for using the cherry power up? I have no idea which one I'm controlling.

If your characters get spread too far apart, try walking them into a corner or wall to get them into a close-knit group. A lot easier to control them and keep them alive that way.

Edit: beaten by seconds :)

Davey Cakes

The Double Cherry is so interesting. It's one of those things that makes me wonder about how they do the coding and whatnot. I mean, the characters move at different speeds until they catch up with each other. They sync and de-sync depending on how they interact with objects and walls, etc.

It's a really cool powerup. Perhaps underutilized, too, but I'm not sure how much of it would be appropriate.

Now I'm dying to have four players going at once with multiple Double Cherries each. O_O

urfe

I'm on the eight world, and just loving it all.

Even the difficulty, while easy is great.

Nothing beats getting all the stars, stamp, and top of the flagpole on your first go through.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Crown
World spoiler ahead:
So i just unlocked crown world and loved and beat the Captain toad level and got about 10 stars deep in the Mystery House marathon then tried the first level crown-crown. Holy shit is this level kicking my ass. Burned 100 lives just now I think. I'm having issues on the beat blocks part. WTF is with them being completely off rhythm with the music? Is this the first time they've been like this because this is the first time I can I can think of? Anyway, I've tried with Peach and Toad and I think Peach has been easier but still have died that part every time. Any suggestions?

Is the unlockable character still considered a spoiler? Use the unlockable character. Perfect for the beat blocks, especially when there are two of the same colors at once.

Holy crap, I just beat
Champion's Road
. I played as Mario without power ups. After about a hundred lives or so, I finally got the pattern down

Hands down that was the most difficult level in any Mario game I've ever played (sadly I haven't played Sunshine or both Galaxies). It made the last levels of Lost Levels seem like a walk in the park. And finishing it was SOOOOOOO satisfying. Dat home stretch!

HUELEN10

Holy crap, I just beat
Champion's Road
. I played as Mario without power ups. After about a hundred lives or so, I finally got the pattern down

Hands down that was the most difficult level in any Mario game I've ever played (sadly I haven't played Sunshine or both Galaxies). It made the last levels of Lost Levels seem like a walk in the park. And finishing it was SOOOOOOO satisfying. Dat home stretch!

Did you get all stars and stamp?

Dr.Hadji

Up to World 7 now. Worlds 4-6 = *soo good gif*

If anything, the game moves too quickly through its various level ideas/types. I can barely remember what I just played. At least in Galaxy, other stars would force you to revisit at least a portion of the levels, giving your mind a chance to the settle.

My mind is now mush.

If anything, the game moves too quickly through its various level ideas/types. I can barely remember what I just played. At least in Galaxy, other stars would force you to revisit at least a portion of the levels, giving your mind a chance to the settle.

My mind is now mush.

That's what makes this game so good, almost all the levels are amazing so it makes going back for all the stars and stamps not seem like a chore. This game gives me the same feeling the day my parents got my brothers and sister a snes with Mario world.

Sogood.gif

Did you get all stars and stamp?

Yes I did! Thank goodness the stars and stamp on this level were in plain sight and literally on the path. I completed the entire playthrough with Mario for all worlds and levels. Now I have to do the entire game again with the other 4 characters, which I'm really looking forward to because of the different play styles and approaches. This is the rare game where I actually look forward to playing over and over again and not get bored with the subsequent playthroughs. I shudder to think about completing
Champion's Road
again with Toad though.

zroid

Banned

My mind is now mush.

It's why this game needs DLC so badly. So many ideas simply didn't get the time in the sun they deserved. And I mean that as a compliment, because the game is both beefy and brimming with ideas as it is. But I want more!

Roo

Holy crap, I just beat
Champion's Road

As someone who played all those games, I can tell you
Champion's Road
is the hardest level I've seen from a Mario game.

It's why this game needs DLC so badly. So many ideas simply didn't get the time in the sun they deserved. And I mean that as a compliment, because the game is both beefy and brimming with ideas as it is. But I want more!

YES YES YES! I will download that DLC so hard :p

Some ideas for DLC:

-Exploration mode (once you've beaten the game) where the timers are disabled so you can explore every nook and cranny at your leisure, grab screenshots, and fool around playground style on any stage with other players. Case in point, my friends and I play the Snow Park level over and over again doing snowball fights, ice skate race/bumper cars, etc, but our fun is cut short because of the timer.

- More MarioKart style levels!

- Arena stages for multiplayer "battles". See that title screen? That could be one of the "arenas", complete with day/night and weather changes.

- Double cherry mode for all levels @_@

- Luigi Easter egg challenge. Throw in a hidden 8 bit Luigi in ALL the stages, but make him super hard to find. Blend him in the background, put him in the most inconspicuous areas, or set a criteria like collect all coins in the level for him to appear.

- More Nintendo references like what we saw with
the secret entrance to tile Link

maxcriden

its cause marios primary color is red in menu select and in general so they pretty much had to go with blue, unless they make marios color blue but he's better known for red, red is the heroes color

You're right, of course. :) I actually thought of that right after my post--not sure how that never occurred to me previously....

DrNeroCF

The Double Cherry is so interesting. It's one of those things that makes me wonder about how they do the coding and whatnot. I mean, the characters move at different speeds until they catch up with each other. They sync and de-sync depending on how they interact with objects and walls, etc.

It's a really cool powerup. Perhaps underutilized, too, but I'm not sure how much of it would be appropriate.

Now I'm dying to have four players going at once with multiple Double Cherries each. O_O

I don't think the movements actually sync up, aside from the control inputs. Not sure how they do it, but there's some math you can do to get movement variables relative to the player's direction. That way you can just compare two variables normally, adjust one of them, and turn them back into the normal movement.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Completed Zelda as well, and I must say, while good, I think this game is by far the superiour game. Now back to Wonderbomba for some more Nintendo-awesomness :)

100% complete! Absolutely fantastic game; easily in my top ten ever.

irvfdiZgDwqVV.jpg

Was I tripping or did I see a pixel art Luigi pop out of a block for no reason?

Does anyone know if the Japanese version of the game has the cat suited characters say NYA NYA instead of MEOW MEOW? That would be super cute if they let us switch in all versions.

Mogwai

I've just reached the 7th world. Is it just me or are the levels very very short?

I recall that galaxy levels at least lasted 2-3 minutes. In 3D World, the timer most times doesn't reach 200.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Post-game spoilers:

I wish they made all post game worlds like the star world, especially the first two levels. The level remixing of mushroom and flower world is fun too, but I'd like even more original and really challenging levels.

Guess I'm greedy, lol

Just a tiny dissappointment though, game is amazeballs!!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Post-game spoilers:

I wish they made all post game worlds like the star world, especially the first two levels. The level remixing of mushroom and flower world is fun too, but I'd like even more original and really challenging levels.

Guess I'm greedy, lol

Just a tiny dissappointment though, game is amazeballs!!

Just be glad this isnt dlc for $10 for a world like how stuff is shaping up on the other next-gen consoles :)

CassSept

Anyone has any recommendation which levels to play best in multiplayer? I'll be able to finally test it today and I want to play some fun levels but honestly a lot of them don't seem that interesting to repeat.

QUOTE=Hobbestetrician;93689887]The second Green Star in world Flower-3
Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark
is by far my least favorite Green Star, just cannot seem to get it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that one was annoying :/

Was I tripping or did I see a pixel art Luigi pop out of a block for no reason?

There is a ton of 8-bit Luigis hidden throughout the game :) I spotted several myself and it was discussed earlier in this thread.

Quackula

Question about postgame stuff:

I'm at Mushroom World. I know it's not the last postgame world and there's a few more to go through, but I'm wondering if everything else from here out is just more remixes of previous levels?

Deku Tree

Question about postgame stuff:

I'm at Mushroom World. I know it's not the last postgame world and there's a few more to go through, but I'm wondering if everything else from here out is just more remixes of previous levels?

No it isn't. Although there is some more of that. There is also lots of completely new stuff.

Dr.Hadji

Anyone has any recommendation which levels to play best in multiplayer? I'll be able to finally test it today and I want to play some fun levels but honestly a lot of them don't seem that interesting to repeat.

Don't know what kind of things you look for in games that you wouldn't find interesting mechanics interesting to play a second time through. But multi-player provides a whole new dynamic that at the very least should feel different (whether you like it or not is another story). If you are playing with people new to the game, just start from the begging and edit your playlist accordingly.

Top Bottom