• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

entremet

17 hours in and I still have yet to complete
13th world and unlock 14th one.

I remember that there was a thread here on gaf, where someone claimed, that is was and 8 hour long adveture. AHAHAHHA.

How can one complete this game in 8 hours? No green stars and hitting eject button after 8 worlds?

Remember that thread when people went nuts about the game's length lol.

maxcriden

saying that isn't good is a gross exaggeration imo, but it really pales in comparison of SMG's and more recently, ALBW. I definitely love the World Bowser theme and all the jazzy energetic pieces, but it's a bit on the forgettable side. The number of Gusty Garden remixes didn't really add anything, original version is still the best music Nintendo has ever produced (again, imo)

Totally agreed with the bolded. The World Bowser theme is the musical highlight of the game for me and this game's equivalent of Gusty Garden (my favorite SMG theme).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Damn. Got spoiled on the final level in a thread about challenging final levels.

Annoying!

That was me. My sincerest apologies.

Speaking of which, I finally got all 380 stars. That euphoric feeling when finishing the final level was something else. This would be my GotY were it not for Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Total playtime in Activity Log is 30:36. 5 of those hours were spent with friends in multiplayer so it took me over 25 hours to collect everything. Doubt I'll complete the game as every character though.

Andrew.

Banned
Yo so doesnt anyone want Max's stickers? If not, Im gonna gank them all, stick em on my ass and then post it all over Miiverse while eating a bowl of macaroni and cheese.

Ydahs

Got the game (yay!), got done with the first world, but it felt a bit dull in comparison to the first hour of Galaxy. Still good, but not Galaxy-great. I'm assuming it picks up in a big way over the next couple of worlds?

It might also be due to the fact I'm feeling down after some food poisoning :(

Deku Tree

The second star on world
flower three
is the hardest one to get IMO.
in all worlds up to the flower world
. It is the only one I haven't gotten yet...

UNCMark

Banned
Just finished World 5 and started World 6. Difficulty has begun to show itself (but only because I refuse to a leave a level without getting the 3 stars, stamp, and pole).

This has probably been asked many times before, but does 5-B reappear later if I accidentally fuck it up by being a dumbass?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The second star on world
flower three
is the hardest one to get IMO.
in all worlds up to the flower world
. It is the only one I haven't gotten yet...

Is this the one with all the piranha plants? If so, yeah, that was pretty hard :)

ClericZA

Neo Member
Only a little way in, but my initial feeling is one of slight disappointment so far. Reading this thread has given me hope, but I can't see how it will do for me what the orbital floatyness of SMG did. Here's hoping though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished World 5 and started World 6. Difficulty has begun to show itself (but only because I refuse to a leave a level without getting the 3 stars, stamp, and pole).

This has probably been asked many times before, but does 5-B reappear later if I accidentally fuck it up by being a dumbass?

The train? Yeah.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Star World - Level 1

There should be a fire flower hidden somewhere on that level for that second star, right?

KiN0

I'll be honest, I've had no desire to play this game single player since my friend left after Thanksgiving. We had a blast playing through the entire game two player, but none of the stages have really called out to me mostly due to their low replay value (we easily obtained a majority of the stars and stamps). Definitely a great game that was polished to the max, but man after that new feeling passed, I'm a little disappointed with the longevity of the experience. I think I put in around 10 hours and that includes the bonus worlds after the last Bowser area.

I kind of agree here. Going back, most of the levels aren't really that fun to replay. Most of my replay enjoyment has come from looking for all the little details sprinkled throughout the game. Like, I just realized that the characters' cheeks swell with air when they go underwater.

Roo

That's a hammer bro stage isn't it?
If you're talking about the train level then yeah, it will reappear eventually.
Actually, I keep coming back from time to time even when I'm in post-game levels already.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Only a little way in, but my initial feeling is one of slight disappointment so far. Reading this thread has given me hope, but I can't see how it will do for me what the orbital floatyness of SMG did. Here's hoping though.

believe us initial impressions in this game are WAY, way misleading. Think about 3D Land if you've played it and x 10

Fabrik

Banned
I kind of agree here. Going back, most of the levels aren't really that fun to replay. Most of my replay enjoyment has come from looking for all the little details sprinkled throughout the game. Like, I just realized that the characters' cheeks swell with air when they go underwater.

I think it will be hard to replay the game for me too. The seven first worlds are so easy there is no point. This is also where this game philosophy fails : I can replay Super Mario Galaxy because I want to go back to the world it created whereas there's no world in Super Mario 3D World ironically. It's just too abstract, like a puzzle game. I like "pure" games but the most memorable games have a sense of immersion and place IMO.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'll replay it casually with pleasure, not least in multiplayer mode for shits and giggles

There is also lots of ways to play each level, with different characters and power-ups (or restrictions)

monome

I think it will be hard to replay the game for me too. The seven first worlds are so easy there is no point. This is also where this game philosophy fails : I can replay Super Mario Galaxy because I want to go back to the world it created whereas there's no world in Super Mario 3D World ironically. It's just too abstract, like a puzzle game. I like "pure" games but the most memorable games have a sense of immersion and place IMO.

Okay.

my 2 cents :

although I understand the lack of motivation for replays, I consider this game like a running session.

Not always happy to get started.
Not easy to get by with friends to make it easier.

but that's when the perfection of EAD occurs.

3DWorld is a portal. it's, IMO, about finding peace and elevating your spirit through systemic engagement.

maxcriden

Yo so doesnt anyone want Max's stickers? If not, Im gonna gank them all, stick em on my ass and then post it all over Miiverse while eating a bowl of macaroni and cheese.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised no one wanted them! :(

I guess Eli can give you one and put the rest on his litter box...plese don't put them on your ass though...

It really gets much better.

Morfeo

Yeah, I was kind of surprised no one wanted them! :(

I guess Eli can give you one and put the rest on his litter box...plese don't put them on your ass though...

It really gets much better.

I definitely want one, but I live in europe, so might be to much in shipping?

Anyways, I dont get the "no reason to replay"-guys. I spend a ton of time getting 100% in this game, and I am already eager to replay it. Granted, the challenge isnt always the best, but doing speed runs, testing the other characters, and of course, playing it in multiplayer, are all great reasons for replay imo. And then just to experience the great level design again of course.

I think it will be hard to replay the game for me too. The seven first worlds are so easy there is no point.
Of course there is! There's more to discover, and depending on the powerups you have you'll replay a level differently than you did before. That's the way it is for me. Also, I wouldn't call the difficulty in Worlds 3 and up "so easy."

G.O.O.

So... any tips for
crown world
? How to get a refill of lives easily, best characters to use, recommended items, other stuff I should know ?

And we still don't know how to make
the golden train
reappear, right ?

maxcriden

I definitely want one, but I live in europe, so might be to much in shipping?

Anyways, I dont get the "no reason to replay"-guys. I spend a ton of time getting 100% in this game, and I am already eager to replay it. Granted, the challenge isnt always the best, but doing speed runs, testing the other characters, and of course, playing it in multiplayer, are all great reasons for replay imo. And then just to experience the great level design again of course.

Of course there is! There's more to discover, and depending on the powerups you have you'll replay a level differently than you did before. That's the way it is for me. Also, I wouldn't call the difficulty in Worlds 3 and up "so easy."

First: morfeo, and anyone else who wants a sticker sheet, enter the contest. Eli is more than happy to ship a sheet of stickers to Europe, Eurasia, or anywhere.

Second: I totally agree with both of you re: replays. There are always ways to make a replay more interesting, too, like a no powerup run.

My god...the last star in 5-6.....

Yeah, that one was brutal!. One of the hardest so far for me (have most of the green stars through mid-World 7 at this point).

Fabrik

Banned

When you have found all the green stars + stamps, you have seen every nook and crannies.
BTW, I never saw any ghosts during my play-through, what do you need to do to see them?

Morfeo

So... any tips for
crown world
? How to get a refill of lives easily, best characters to use, recommended items, other stuff I should know ?

About this, I would just get a ton of lives in 1-2 with the shell trick. Also, I used Mario only for all levels, and did usually not use any items, unless I had one from the last, but I would imagine Peach in general would be the best to use on the more difficult stages, thanks to her hoover ability.
Rosalina
is also good thanks to the spin. Considering items, the feather is probably the best, especially if you play Mario as I did. Can be a bit irritating to use the cat suit some times, as the clinging to walls often happends when I didnt want/plan it to, and the flying attack also triggered for me when I got a bit stressed and sometimes sent me to my death.

First: morfeo, and anyone else who wants a sticker sheet, enter the contest. Eli is more than happy to ship a sheet of stickers to Europe, Eurasia, or anywhere.

Ok, I will think real hard about my favorite part of the game and enter :)

When you have found all the green stars + stamps, you have seen every nook and crannies.
Not necessarily. There's other stuff like invisible platforms to discover, and playing levels differently depend on what powerups you take. Besides, so what if you have all the green stars and stamps? That doesn't mean a couple of months from now it won't be fun to get them all over again.

daakusedo

There's no better way of rediscovering a level than trying to speedrun it, even if not high level no mistakes run.
It's always good to find out about certain design decisions, why a particular thing was placed in a certain way and you had no clue why or didn't even paid attention to, but now you see it help you cut through the main path etc...
And on this side, 3d world is much developed than 3d land.

rawktapus

I have the exact opposite reaction. Ive beaten 3dworld, but still pop into a couple levels every day or so that i found particularly fun to play. Galaxys longer more open levels, and especially dumping several stars into the same level make it far more cumbersome for me to just jump into for old times sake.

Robin64

The first few worlds being easy isn't really a problem for me as that just means I go for super fast times instead. Looking for all the nifty shortcuts, seeing where seconds can be shaved. I find that really fun in this game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So... any tips for
crown world

Best character to use is Toad, because it's the hardest with him. Worst character would be Peach, because it's the easiest with her (still have to do it with Mario and Luigi though). For your first run through, do not take a Tanooki suit with you, it completely breaks this level. However, I would take some item with me to not lose your progress on the final stretch.

Morfeo

Best character to use is Toad, because it's the hardest with him. Worst character would be Peach, because it's the easiest with her (still have to do it with Mario and Luigi though). For your first run through, do not take a Tanooki suit with you, it completely breaks this level. However, I would take some item with me to not lose your progress on the final stretch.

Lol, this is of course the correct answer :)

Roo

What I really love about this game is that its levels somehow entice(force?) you to use certain items or characters in order to get all the stars and the stamps.

It keeps it interesting because that way we don't marry with a single character. Love that.

Morfeo

What I really love about this game is that its levels somehow entice(force?) you to use certain items or characters in order to get all the stars and the stamps.

It keeps it interesting because that way we don't marry with a single character. Love that.

I dont know about force, I played through it all with Mario, and never hunted for items, but I guess its definitely easier to do a lot of stuff with a specific combination of character and item.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I forgot which world it is, but I can't imagine doing that "Cakewalk" level (with the flipping tiles everytime you jump) with 4 players. It's already a pain in the ass with 2. And the "rocket" level after that... damn that was intense.

Top Bottom