• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Deku Tree

I can not believe I lost my chance to get those shiny stars on my profile for this game because that level in world 2 where you had to blow into the microphone. I never knew that you can blow into the microphone to make the platforms in that level move towards you.I kept on killing myself to get to those platforms.Besides that level I really haven't died that much.

You never lose your chance I don't think. You just gotta replay the levels where you used the invincible tanooki suit that comes out of the shame block without using it. And collect all the stars etc. the shame suit prevents you from collecting stars etc after you use it too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So how much of the "complete experience" am I missing out for playing through this solo?

I have an option to play it with my super casual girlfriend, but is it really worth it?

Anteo

So how much of the "complete experience" am I missing out for playing through this solo?

I have an option to play it with my super casual girlfriend, but is it really worth it?

I played with my super casual sister and it was a completly different experience. Though ymmv, the only games my sister has played: Both galaxies. nsmbu, 3dland and like half of oot. so she has some experience with 3d. Sadly the game is over for her already, she cant suvive in star world (she cant survive in any post game of mario really).

Deku Tree

5h9la.jpg

I got four shiny stars and I'm good with it.

zroid

Banned

You will probably have a lot of fun either way, but if you play with your girlfriend, she'll probably have a lot of fun too!

The_Dude

Everything except
Champion's Road
done. Not really sure if I'm up to it...

Edit: Yep, I'm done. Don't have the time or patience for this sort of thing anymore. Maybe if there was even one checkpoint, but I am now finished with the game.

sonto340

The game does a great job of starting out simple enough that anyone who understands how a character moves in 3d space can learn how to play before it starts demanding too much from the player. A few of my casual friends have been playing with me, and have been having a blast. I'd say at least have her try it :p

Insaniac

Okay I just beat the game, playing the last world with my brother, and then went on to
go into space and play that whole world, and unlocked Rosalina

AMAZING. There wasn't a dull moment and I was enjoying every second of it. Two player multi is fun without being utterly chaotic (Although 3/4 player has its moments of pure chaos which is enjoyable). Can't wait to see what comes next!

10/10 GOTY, I haven't played anything this fun in a LONG while

I recorded all of the footage I just mentioned and I'm gonna upload it. You can just hear and see how much fun we were having!

jamesjmorton

Neo Member
I'm really stuck with this green star, the one where you have to jump several of those sleepy piranha plants, I can't get the timing right, what is the idea behind it?....

Aaaah, that took me ages to work out too - you need to keep your finger on the jump button as you bounce from plant to plant.

Thoraxes

Man, I think i've played through the main game like 3 times.

Once by myself, and two times each with different groups of friends. So goooood.

mo60

You never lose your chance I don't think. You just gotta replay the levels where you used the invincible tanooki suit that comes out of the shame block without using it. And collect all the stars etc. the shame suit prevents you from collecting stars etc after you use it too.
I never actually grabbed the suit,but I did accidentally open that block that contained the suit a couple of times I think.

potam

Banned
It is mandatory for a few levels. Mandatory as in even if you select a Pro Controller the game tells you to switch to the GamePad for that level. Don't remember which ones exactly and if they are optional (as in ones that are on a split path).

Damn, that sucks. Anyone have any more info on this?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
GUYS! it's touchscreen is broken!
About the issue: I think that you can't complete 100% the game, without the mic and the touch

jono95

does anyone think the clear pipes will be returning in future Mario games?
i hope it does, it's a pretty cool addition. i could see it working in the New series as well .

potam

Banned
Oi. Good point. ^^
It's only mandatory in, i guess, 2-5 levels. Quite possible you don't need them to complete the game. Not sure about this.

Have you send it in?

Not yet. I only found out last week about it not working, and I've been too busy/lazy to call Nintendo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Was it ever, when it was in several trailers and an Iwata Asks? ;)
Well Shibata gave a spoiler warning for the Nintendo Direct one so I avoided it and I only read Iwata Asks when I have finished a game so for me to have it spoiled in a completely irrelevant thread did ruin the surprise.

CassSept

GamePad is required in 3 levels I think, right?
Puffprod peaks and twice Hands-On-Hall
That's not a lot but yeah, it's impossible to get
Champion Road
without them. Don't you know someone else who has a Wii U? Maybe you could borrow their Pad for one day, it doesn't take much time.

potam

Banned
GamePad is required in 3 levels I think, right?
Puffprod peaks and twice Hands-On-Hall
That's not a lot but yeah, it's impossible to get
Champion Road
without them. Don't you know someone else who has a Wii U? Maybe you could borrow their Pad for one day, it doesn't take much time.

Know someone else who actually owns a Wii U? What are you taking, crazy pills?

But really, I'll give Nintendo a call sometime this week and see what the repair process/fees are. If it's free, I'll ship it back and probably wait for the new one to arrive. If it's ~$100, I'll have to make a decision whether or not to just buy a new Wii U.

Deku Tree

I never actually grabbed the suit,but I did accidentally open that block that contained the suit a couple of times I think.

You may have accidentally grabbed it by accident and forgot. I think you have to actually grab it to not get the first shiny star when you beat the main game.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
You may have accidentally grabbed it by accident and forgot. I think you have to actually grab it to not get the first shiny star when you beat the main game.

What if you accidentally grabbed it(without thinking), realized your error and killed yourself, then completed the level without the invincible suit?

Deku Tree

What if you accidentally grabbed it(without thinking), realized your error and killed yourself, then completed the level without the invincible suit?

I think your OK as long as you complete the level without it. If you have all green stars and the golden pole then you should be good.

XaosWolf

My touchscreen is broken.

To be more specific, the touchcreen is only absolutely necessary on levels in which you tap special crystal blocks to make your way up/across areas.

Any with just the Propeller Platforms will be completable.

They are literally the only thing keeping you from 100%.

EDIT: Shit, forgot about the Japanese sliding doors in some levels.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
But they're always on alternate paths, no? Like, you either get a choice or they lead to a pipe with a bonus or whatever.

Three stages can't be completed without the gamepad. It won't even let you start the stage without it.

Puffprod Peaks requires it for the platforms you have to blow to activate, and it has those platforms in the wall you have to touch to activate.

Hands on Hall (2x) has those doors you have to open with the touch screen.

Robin64

Three stages can't be completed without the gamepad. It won't even let you start the stage without it.

Puffprod Peaks requires it for the platforms you have to blow to activate, and it has those platforms in the wall you have to touch to activate.

Hands on Hall (2x) has those doors you have to open with the touch screen.

Yes, I know, but you don't have to enter them at all to get to the "end" of the game and fight the boss, do you? What I'm saying is there are split paths on the map to take.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I think your OK as long as you complete the level without it. If you have all green stars and the golden pole then you should be good.

Ok phew

At first I was like "Oh great, I have to do this level all over again"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
False.
Some levels from the main game require the gamepad to go through them.
The Toad levels are just a bonus.

V

But they're always on alternate paths, no? Like, you either get a choice or they lead to a pipe with a bonus or whatever.

That's what I meant. You are never going to get roadblocked by one of the gamepad only levels, it's off the path each time.

But it does mean you can't unlock the final bonus world.

Maxxan

Wow, a certain level at the very end is brutal! Managed to do it without any powerups!
Although perhaps Peach is considered a powerup :p

Top Bottom