• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

NEO0MJ

Finally decided to beat the final level. I played it a bit before but only for like twenty minutes. I had a Tanooki suit on me this time and decided to try playing the level with it. It's amazing how much of a crutch it became, the level is much easier with it.

kunonabi

i just need to finish the last mystery house and I'm done. I'm not sure if I'm going to go for 5 stars right now though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
i just need to finish the last mystery house and I'm done. I'm not sure if I'm going to go for 5 stars right now though.

I'll probably go for it over time, you probably shouldn't rush it though.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make a
mystery house marathon
... I have some choice words for that fucker. This is the dumbest thing I have ever done. Cannot time my jumps correctly for the life of me.

Quackula

Do you need to get all 3 stars + flagpole on a single run for them to count, or does it count if say, I get the first green star on one run, second green star on the next, flagpole on the 3rd, etc?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Do you need to get all 3 stars + flagpole on a single run for them to count, or does it count if say, I get the first green star on one run, second green star on the next, flagpole on the 3rd, etc?

You can do it any way you want. Second way def. counts as well

dock

I'm at the end of my first run through the game, but I decided to go back and mop up my green stars, etc. Is it worth getting all these green stars on the first run or should I
open the second world
and focus on that?

Using the Wiimote Dpad to control characters in a 3D space sucks, and the fact that the game is often in an isometric viewpoint (which looks great) means that you'll often be pressing to the right and up on the Dpad at the same time - not the most comfortable position. Also, it sometimes felt like I was pushing to the right, but I was really also triggering the up direction, which made the side scroll sections, especially to the flagpole, often a "miss" for me as I would go off in the vertical direction slight and mess up my aim. My brother, who played with the Gamepad, had no such problems, and when I tried playing with the Gamepad, it was much better. Not sure if the Pro controller requires you to use the Dpad -- if it doesn't (meaning, if it lets you use the analog stick), I would go as far as to say that it's the only real way to play the game (Gamepad + Pro Controllers).

These two things (especially the Wiimote DPad issue) broke the experience for me, I'm sad to say.

Final Verdict: Playing with the Gamepad: 9/10; Playing with Wiimotes: 8/10.
Right, I think this is a given. Shame that Nintendo don't make it plainer.

I've played many hours of multiplayer with my friends and girlfriend, and we've always used the classic controller with analogue. The Z2 button on the regular classic controller has a shitty position, but otherwise it works great. You can also use the nunchuk.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, cool. That'll make things a lot more manageable for some stages.

If you have to replay levels to get stars or stamps, take the opportunity to use different characters as well.. At least if you'd like every star on your save in the end ;)

Quackula

If you have to replay levels to get stars or stamps, take the opportunity to use different characters as well.. At least if you'd like every star on your save in the end ;)

I've been hitting the "random" button on most stages, so I'm pretty comfortable with everyone, but yeah I'll keep that in mind too on whatever I need to replay.

Is there any way to turn off the Mii ghosts? They're kinda fun and all but they're also kinda distracting.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I've been hitting the "random" button on most stages, so I'm pretty comfortable with everyone, but yeah I'll keep that in mind too on whatever I need to replay.

Is there any way to turn off the Mii ghosts? They're kinda fun and all but they're also kinda distracting.

Probably in the Nintendo Network menu ?

takriel

Superior to Bowser's Road? Superior to Bowser's Road? Is such a thing even conceivable?

Hell YES. His theme in Mario 3D World is superior in every way. Sadly, it feels too specifically made for this game, so I don't see it coming back for future installments.

Hag

What do I need to do to get 100%?

Also I really need to finish every stage with all the characters to get one of the five stars? :/

Deku Tree

Yes. Look in the digital manual.

You can turn off the mii ghosts and keep the miiverse stuff on the map.
It's in the menu somewhere i'm sure because i've got the same setup.

Robin64

You can turn off the mii ghosts and keep the miiverse stuff on the map.
It's in the menu somewhere i'm sure because i've got the same setup.

Right.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepmzcxk.jpg

Robin64

One of the soundbites when SUPER SECRET CHARACTER
Rosalina
does a long-jump sounds like she sarcastically says "Fuck off!" I can't unhear it.

kunonabi

well, 292 lives and a little over 28 hours later and I got all the stars and stamps aside from the last 4 for character all-clears.

What is the preferred controller? I already have a Wiimote+Nunchuck and Wii Classic Controller and wondering if it's worth buying the Wii U Pro Controller.

Just started this sucker, only a few levels in. Immediate impressions are that, while on some level I understand the knee-jerk "Mario fatigue" criticisms, LORD THIS GAME IS LUSCIOUS.

kunonabi

What is the preferred controller? I already have a Wiimote+Nunchuck and Wii Classic Controller and wondering if it's worth buying the Wii U Pro Controller.
You really don't need a pro controller and 3D World plays well with pretty much everything. I went with wiimote/nunchuck the whole way for all the stages that didn't require the gamepad.

You should be set with what you have.

Seeing the wii u shots of Mario and wind waker in the console image thread made me take the leap. Ordered a wii u for ...ahem... My daughters Xmas. Just one final wee surprise for the family you understand right?..... Guys.... Right?....

Think I may have to go buy my wife another present now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm in world 7 now, and this combined with 6 has some of the best levels in the game. 3D world really starts to ramp up, both in difficulty and design, post world 3. I'm glancing at some of the posts here and it'd seem the hardest stuff is yet to come.

javac

I'm in world 7 now, and this combined with 6 has some of the best levels in the game. 3D world really starts to ramp up, both in difficulty and design, post world 3. I'm glancing at some of the posts here and it'd seem the hardest stuff is yet to come.

You have no idea man. Don't Look at spoilers. Just carry on playing the game. It gets brain meltingly tough towards the end. I feel like crying. Probably lose 50+ life's on particular bits lol. You haven't seen anything yet.

Christopher

Seeing the wii u shots of Mario and wind waker in the console image thread made me take the leap. Ordered a wii u for ...ahem... My daughters Xmas. Just one final wee surprise for the family you understand right?..... Guys.... Right?....

Think I may have to go buy my wife another present now.

Hahaha yes I got mine for my son too lol

The final Mystery House in
World Crown
is annoying.
I hate having to fail one just to start all over. :mad:

The whole end game is FRUSTRATING AS FUCK! But, I can't help but come back over and over to lose more of my sanity; it's just that damn good :)

You have no idea man. Don't Look at spoilers. Just carry on playing the game. It gets brain meltingly tough towards the end. I feel like crying. Probably lose 50+ life's on particular bits lol. You haven't seen anything yet.

100% true. Soon you'll get to the flag pole and scream; FUCK THAT STAR! :)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Ok, just wow. I took my sweet time and finally got to
World Crown
. I thought the
extra worlds
had been amusingly tough up to that point, but I wasn't prepared for the difficult ramp of
Champion's Road
. Sure the
Marathon is pretty frustrating, and I even lost some life's on the last captain toad level
but
Champion's Road
handed my ass to me. I spent over three hours on it and lost countless amounts of life. Even decided to switch from my main Toad to
Rosalina
, knowing that It would be a LONG time before I mastered it with Toad.

I stand here tonight a better man GAF. I conquered what I thought three hours ago just might be impossible to conquer. Yes, I needed
Rosalina
and a reserve power-up to do it, but I have no regrets. I am now king of the
Super Mario 3D
World.

Btw, best Mario game Nintendo has ever produced. It has something for everyone, and it just down right magical at times. Even tonight I had a big ass grin on my face. I'm hoping for DLC or and Expansion Pack (ala SM2) to perfect on the greatness they started with SM3DW.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I beat the two last levels and I don't feel much better about it, it's those kind of levels that ultimately sour the whole experience.

Top Bottom