• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Wait... there's a long jump? I beat every level as Mario and did not know there was a long jump... what the ****
yah its left trigger (or whatever duck button is) plus jump button immediately after and a direction on the stick. its a lot of fun trying to line up long jumps onto enemies heads, you can really go far that way. not really useful but its fun none the less

Riposte

yah its left trigger (or whatever duck button is) plus jump button immediately after and a direction on the stick. its a lot of fun trying to line up long jumps onto enemies heads, you can really go far that way. not really useful but its fun none the less

I got the most use of it in the stage where you unlock the fifth character. And the one where you chase the goal.

Hmm, I think jumping w/e-Chucks makes SMW sound effects while jumping piranha plants makes SMB1 sound effects. That's pretty cool.

Bydobob

I can think of one particular stage where the long jump is essential to collect a green star without being hit. I forget the stage number but it's post game and features spikes which are activated by being in Bowser's searchlight.

As for the spin jump, it's particularly useful when you need to reach the top of an enemy stack as normal Mario. Unlike in Sunshine however it needs at least 540 degrees of rotation to pull off as opposed to 360. The reason being is so you can run in circles on tight platforms to keep your speed boost going without triggering a spin.

Nicktendo86

A bit unrelated, but I've been playing this game for a while, and using the Wii U gamepad makes (the palm of) my hand hurt like hell. Yesterday the pain extended all the way up to my elbow. First time I've experienced this with a controller. I'm probably going back to nunchuck + mote or get the Wii U pro controller, if this goes on. Thanks Mario
The new nintendoitis?

What's the fastest way travel in this? Long jumps seem to put you back to the slower dash speed once you land so when trying for better times I've been using toad and regular jumps to maintain speed. I got 51 seconds on the first stage and faced off against a Mii Ghost with a time of 41 seconds. I don't know which character were using but they were getting around by jumping then diving with the cat suit which definitely seemed far quicker on straights. I couldn't really figure out the optimal way to use that, though.

FSLink

Banned
What's the fastest way travel in this? Long jumps seem to put you back to the slower dash speed once you land so when trying for better times I've been using toad and regular jumps to maintain speed. I got 51 seconds on the first stage and faced off against a Mii Ghost with a time of 41 seconds. I don't know which character were using but they were getting around by jumping then diving with the cat suit which definitely seemed far quicker on straights. I couldn't really figure out the optimal way to use that, though.

I find the roll jump is the fastest way to get around...haven't timed it though.

BBunny

Still wonder why Rosie's pussy suit isn't aqua :/
Blob Jester pissed me off to no end.

From Iwata Asks

Hayashida That's right. But she also becomes an interesting character when transformed into a cat. She becomes a black cat.
Iwata Oh my...
Motokura Koizumi-san put in that request, saying it had to be black.
Iwata I knew it was Koizumi-san!
Everyone (laughs)

Koizumi´s decision

daakusedo

Going for best times, I never run, at least not enough to go top speed.
It's long jump all the way, rolling when there's less space cause it's easier to stop or follow with a normal jump and setting up a spin before landing to not loose time when I need to go higher. So basically all the moves are useful except backflip but you don't use it either in mario 64 speedrun.

urfe

I just beat the game and got to the post-game content.

It looks fun and challenging, but for some reason I am not really motivated to play through it. I'm kind of satisfied with how I am right now.

Maybe I'll play through it slowly on rainy days throughout the next year.

Grumblump Inferno is the devil. A few other levels had given me trouble so far, but dear god something about that one absolutely wrecked me.

Finally beat the real final level without a power-up. A lot of Marios died in the process. Couldn't help but think my 12 year-old self could have done it better.

HeySeuss

How do I unlock the
crown world
?

I'm currently on the last level of
flower world(boss run)
and I have all the stamps and green stars up to this point. Do I need to get all the gold flags and the 5 character stamps before I unlock it?

MYE

How do I unlock the
crown world
?

flower world(boss run)
and I have all the stamps and green stars up to this point. Do I need to get all the gold flags and the 5 character stamps before I unlock it?

You need all the gold flags, all the stamps and all the green stars.

Crayolan

So I just started the game yesterday with the first 3 worlds, and so far I'm a little underwhelmed. It's definitely better than 3D Land, but it mostly feels the same aside from a few cool things like the Mario Kart level, the really cool bowser castle levels, Bowser's Pimp Car, and the one real boss it's had so far (Boom Boom and Wendy don't count, I'm sick of seeing them after 3D Land).
Also, the timer is really annoying. More than half the time I finish levels with hardly any time left or die by timer just cause I want to explore.

I'm assuming it gets better as it goes on?

maxcriden

So I just started the game yesterday with the first 3 worlds, and so far I'm a little underwhelmed. It's definitely better than 3D Land, but it mostly feels the same aside from a few cool things like the Mario Kart level, the really cool bowser castle levels, Bowser's Pimp Car, and the one real boss it's had so far (Boom Boom and Wendy don't count, I'm sick of seeing them after 3D Land).
Also, the timer is really annoying. More than half the time I finish levels with hardly any time left or die by timer just cause I want to explore.

Much better!

ETA: Whoops, clicked post before I meant to. It gets way better as it goes on. It didn't fully click with me until world 4 or so I think. I love it now.

How do I unlock the
crown world
?

flower world(boss run)
All stamps, all green stars, all gold flags. You don't have to worry about the character stamps.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

First 3 worlds are okay, but the fun starts from world 4 and onwards. Keep playing, it gets a lot better.

Dr.Hadji

Its funny. I understand this feeling. Even though I think the first three words have their fair share of new level types and ideas, while playing through them for the first time I couldn't help shaking that feelings. Having now played through the more impressive levels, I now go back to the Worlds 1-3 and don't feel that feeling anymore. Without expectations those levels are pretty great in their own right.

Beaten, but yes, heaps better. Nintendo did the first 3 worlds crazy easy as 'tutorial worlds' for the toddlers and grannies that they want to play it (who won't).

Cool thanks. Only have a few gold flags to get. Gonna need to stock up on cat suits...lol

Now, here's something for the thread. Does anyone have a list of the EASY, GO TO levels in which we can warp to, grab the powerups we need and finish the level quickly? I remember in Mario World, the secret above the first Ghost house was an awesome ministage to grab capes and Yoshi and it only took 2 seconds.

HeySeuss

Now, here's something for the thread. Does anyone have a list of the EASY, GO TO levels in which we can warp to, grab the powerups we need and finish the level quickly? I remember in Mario World, the secret above the first Ghost house was an awesome ministage to grab capes and Yoshi and it only took 2 seconds.

I'm sure there's easier ones, but I warp to 1-1 and speed run that level. Nets me 2 cat suits pretty easily.

Artorias

Banned
This game is incredible. I had really high expectations after Galaxy 2 and NSMBU, and I can confidently say it surpasses them for me. I adore Galaxy 2 but playing this with 4, or even 2 players is just the most charming thing I've ever seen. I love the graphics too. I only have a handful of games for Wii U so I'm not sure if there are more impressive games out for it atm, but it looks even better than I thought it would.

I haven't really put another game on since starting this. I've gotten everything on every level but haven't beaten the final
FINAL
one, and I need a break before I have a heart attack.
The five coins at the end are killing me. I probably need to stop jumping so high and just jump enough to clear the "beams" but it goes against my instincts. Really good final challenge though, I just need a break after so much collecting today.

Yondy604

Banned
I am about 110 Stars in, world 6. Roughly

I gotta say this is a "great" mario game, It's graphics are amazing, gameplay is creative, puzzles are intriguing.

But for people actually having the balls to say this is the best mario game, are out to lunch.

Unless this game suddenly becomes GOAT in the next 50% of the game, this game is at best a 8.5 / 10 imo.

I would put in #5 in the best mario games.

#1 = Mario 64
#2 = Super Mario Galaxy 1
#3 = Super mario 3
$4 = Super Mario Galaxy 2
#5 = This one.

Some things that I find that are frustrating.

- The levels are way to small, scary small, I did some levels in literally 1 min 30 seconds (not the quick on purpose ones), with all 3 stars.
2 - I heard that the difficulty rams up big time, I sure hope so because I have had no issues getting 3 stars in every stage up to world 6, Only a few were REALLY creative that I actually took awhile to find some.
Summary: Again, I have only played up to world 6 (half the game?), and I gotta say this game is a GREAT game, but it's not in the same atmosphere as other mario games.

Sorry :(

Red-Hot Run was kind of a pain in the ass. Did a bunch of hard turns and completely ran off the stage. Figured out a way to do it consistently with all the stars + stamp eventually but, man...

Liking the difficulty bump though. Shame that it predictably comes in the lava world

Roo

5-5 will provide 2 Tanooki suits.
It is a short level so it'll be your to-go friend for
Champion's Road
Trust me, you'll need it.

Dr.Hadji

I gotta say this is a "great" mario game, It's graphics are amazing, gameplay is creative, puzzles are intriguing.

But for people actually having the balls to say this is the best mario game, are out to lunch.

Unless this game suddenly becomes GOAT in the next 50% of the game, this game is at best a 8.5 / 10 imo.

1. I'll never get why people are so quick to want to rate and rank things. You're not even done with the game yet!!! Hold you horses buddy.

2. For all the complaints people have about the numerical scoring system, it seems like the common poster can't help but think in those terms anyway.

3. Have you played any multiplayer? If not, I'd be best to experience the entire scope of its design before calling people out. Actually, I'd be best if you completed the game before calling people out as well.

Roo

I'd recommend NOT using the tanooki for that stage as it'd take the challenge right out of it.

When you lose over and over and over it gets a little bit frustrating.
To be fair, I only used the Tanooki suit in the
beat block section
since it is the trickiest part of the level. After that stop using it or get hit by an enemy to keep the challenge going.

The difficulty progression in this game is pretty perfect, I never felt unprepared for anything thrown at me.
Champion's Road pipe section scared the shit out of me at first, thought I would fall to my death if I chose the wrong direction.

I would put in #5 in the best mario games.

#1 = Mario 64
#2 = Super Mario Galaxy 1
#3 = Super mario 3
$4 = Super Mario Galaxy 2
#5 = This one.

Some things that I find that are frustrating.

- The levels are way to small, scary small, I did some levels in literally 1 min 30 seconds (not the quick on purpose ones), with all 3 stars.
2 - I heard that the difficulty rams up big time, I sure hope so because I have had no issues getting 3 stars in every stage up to world 6, Only a few were REALLY creative that I actually took awhile to find some.
Summary: Again, I have only played up to world 6 (half the game?), and I gotta say this game is a GREAT game, but it's not in the same atmosphere as other mario games.

Sorry :(

I think you should go play through 64 again.

Top Bottom