• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Sagitario

Success!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01qvy7o.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bhbmf.jpg

No suits required! :D

JakeD

thanks to my college years, i dont think i have the brain power necessary for
champions road
. and im attempting it with peach which already feels like cheating.

at one point, after my 50th or so death, i thought "i kinda wanna play volgarr to take a break from this difficulty"

vehn

I'm on the last world now, can anyone tell me how I unlock the secret character (who I still don't know who it is)? Do I have to beat the game, or collect a bunch of stars before unlocking?

I'm on the last world now, can anyone tell me how I unlock the secret character (who I still don't know who it is)? Do I have to beat the game, or collect a bunch of stars before unlocking?

Keep playing the game, you'll know when you unlock them (which is done by just playing levels and progressing until you reach and beat a certain one).

Rnr1224

Beat the game and I loved it! Finishing the game with friends was awesome! But playing the post game with them is insanely hard for us

JakeD

edit: nevermind, someone already answered in a less spoilery way

EhoaVash

so I finally made it to the final world 3 days ago, I tried all 3 levels and they're all kicking my ass so hard. I don't want to even finish it anymore after getting so far :(

I am about 110 Stars in, world 6. Roughly

I gotta say this is a "great" mario game, It's graphics are amazing, gameplay is creative, puzzles are intriguing.

But for people actually having the balls to say this is the best mario game, are out to lunch.

Unless this game suddenly becomes GOAT in the next 50% of the game, this game is at best a 8.5 / 10 imo.

I would put in #5 in the best mario games.

#1 = Mario 64
#2 = Super Mario Galaxy 1
#3 = Super mario 3
$4 = Super Mario Galaxy 2
#5 = This one.

Some things that I find that are frustrating.

- The levels are way to small, scary small, I did some levels in literally 1 min 30 seconds (not the quick on purpose ones), with all 3 stars.
2 - I heard that the difficulty rams up big time, I sure hope so because I have had no issues getting 3 stars in every stage up to world 6, Only a few were REALLY creative that I actually took awhile to find some.
Summary: Again, I have only played up to world 6 (half the game?), and I gotta say this game is a GREAT game, but it's not in the same atmosphere as other mario games.

Sorry :(

I honestly don't know how people can put sm64 as number one other than nostalgia. I never had an N64 and so I only recently played SM64. And by played I mean attempted to play because I found it lacking in almost every aspect. From a design stand point, the camera sucks, the controls aren't as fluid, and I found the level design to be pretty boring. In fact it was so boring to me I only got about 10 stars before quitting and moving on (decided to play he 3d marios in succession). I can understand its value for the time, and I can understand its format may be more likable to some that the later 3d marios, but can anyone honestly say it plays better than the galaxy games or 3d world? If so, please explain, I honestly want to understand the hype for that game.

I honestly don't know how people can put sm64 as number one other than nostalgia. I never had an N64 and so I only recently played SM64. And by played I mean attempted to play because I found it lacking in almost every aspect. From a design stand point, the camera sucks, the controls aren't as fluid, and I found the level design to be pretty boring. In fact it was so boring to me I only got about 10 stars before quitting and moving on (decided to play he 3d marios in succession). I can understand its value for the time, and I can understand its format may be more likable to some that the later 3d marios, but can anyone honestly say it plays better than the galaxy games or 3d world? If so, please explain, I honestly want to understand the hype for that game.
Go play more of the game. 10 stars isn't enough to judge the whole game on.

Also, I don't get the complaint about the controls. They are still extremely smooth.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
thanks to my college years, i dont think i have the brain power necessary for
champions road
. and im attempting it with peach which already feels like cheating.

at one point, after my 50th or so death, i thought "i kinda wanna play volgarr to take a break from this difficulty"

Took me 80 with R. Be strong!

Go play more of the game. 10 stars isn't enough to judge the whole game on.

Also, I don't get the complaint about the controls. They are still extremely smooth.

As for the controls I guess they are fine, maybe it is just the level design and camera that makes them feel lesser than the more recent mario games. Actually to be fair I have played more of the game, or at least I've played some of the later levels on the ds version. The problem is it felt like a chore to play, which is the complete opposite of how mario games should be. The 2d games never had that issue, and besides sunshine which while good had some irksome things, the last 3 mainline 3d marios have been almost all joy. The galaxy games are like an explosion of pure creativity. Mario64 just feels uninspired and unexciting when compared to it. I'm not trying to bash on it, I just think people are overrating it when compared to the newer games. I think they like the structure better and then add on the nostalgia and they say its a better game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SM64 uninspired and unexciting? Bah... I like 3D World and Galaxy too, but I think that shitting on SM64 as if it did not spark a revolution and it does not have value in and of itself does neither make the latter look even better nor it is fair to the former.
Playing SM64 was and still is an amazing, joyful, and extremely polished platformer.

It sometimes feels like one of those lists of top movies/songs of all time filled with items produced and released in the last 5 years or so... as if nothing else had ever been make or is worth mentioning.

SM64 uninspired and unexciting? Bah... I like 3D World and Galaxy too, but I think that shitting on SM64 as if it did not spark a revolution and it does not have value in and of itself does neither make the latter look even better nor it is fair to the former.
Playing SM64 was and still is an amazing, joyful, and extremely polished platformer.

It sometimes feels like one of those lists of top movies/songs of all time filled with items produced and released in the last 5 years or so... as if nothing else had ever been make or is worth mentioning.
yeah its okay to say that someone hasnt played mario 64 but to say its uninspired and unexciting especially taking into consideration that there was nothing at that time that came even close (maybe jumping flash).

The controls are far better than any 3D Mario ever (as long as you played it on a N64 controller), and has fun, open world environments.

Galaxy and 3D Land games are point A to B with limited controls. Not that they're bad, but they just aren't up to 64's standards.

yeah its okay to say that someone hasnt played mario 64 but to say its uninspired and unexciting especially taking into consideration that there was nothing at that time that came even close (maybe jumping flash).

im comparing the 2 games objectively. I acknowledge that at the time it was inspired. But i'm comparing the 2 games as games now, not the fact that one preceded the other. Obviously the new 3d marios owe it a debt. thats not really what I'm getting at. obviously people will disagree with me, I just don't feel the level design is nearly as good as the galaxy games.

The controls are far better than any 3D Mario ever (as long as you played it on a N64 controller), and has fun, open world environments.

Galaxy and 3D Land games are point A to B with limited controls. Not that they're bad, but they just aren't up to 64's standards.

I like the open world structure too, i like both. I just found it to be pretty dull. For example, the level you run to the top of the mountain and fight the giant rock dude. The next star you basically do the exact same thing. just run up the hill. its boring. there isn't a whole lot of platforming involved really. then again i acknowledge that its a very early level and some of the later levels require more platforming. I'd love to see new game in the same vein though. I just feel like Mario 64 is extremely dated. And I'm not talking graphics. The level design is outclassed by the later mario games. I imagine a hybrid of the two would be amazing, say an open explorable world that leads to funneled platforming experiences akin to 3d world, but still have an overarching explorable world.

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
Just wanted to chime in to say how I feel about this game.

I think it is a pretty amazing and fun game, and definitely one that will be remembered as a classic in years and generations to come. Even though some people may feel the game is a little to easy or that it looses the exploration factor that previous 3D Mario games had, it still has that unmistakable Mario charm filled to the brim with creativity and little details that makes it leave an impression on you even after you stop playing it.

Even though the first Super Mario Galaxy is my game of the past generation (and one of my favorites of all time) I consider 3D World to be a what a Mario is actually supposed to be.

Levels with obstacles, enemies and powerups scattered around in ways that is typical for the 2D games but that has really never been explored or implemented in the same ways for the 3D titles. 3D Land started that combination of elements, but I feel 3D World really reaches it's potential and I think it is what a Mario platformer is really supposed to be like. It always can be improved of course, but with this game the foundation has been laid for future titles to be further explored upon.

I have very minor complaints, you know, the type of nitpicking that is necessary to really have something to complain about. These are all personal things of course.

The timer feels like it shouldn't be here, even though most of the times it never really becomes a nuisance I still feel it limits the players into what and how they can explore the levels. And the camera, it never really caused any problems for me personally but I can see how some can really find it a problem, as it obviously lacks the depth present on 3D Land thanks to the 3D effect that can make it hard for some people to really be precise with their jumps.

All in all 3D World has become one of my favorites games, and even though it is still too early to really rank it among other Mario titles I feel it really is among the best. It's refreshing to be able to actually play with other characters all with their unique abilities, it really changes the way every level feels and plays.

So yeah, it's not really the most in-depth comment ever and others have probably mentioned and talked about the stuff I have and in better ways as well. But I feel I needed to express my love for the game as a life long Nintendo fan, I'm still currently trying to beat
Champion's Road
but man, is it fun and frustrating to try and reach the end.

Also, the soundtrack I think really is great. And my favorite tune has to be Bowser's. It's like it really represents him as what he's supposed to be. It's very awesome and I love it.

Sorry my reply is sort of a rambling mess though.

Got a bunch of 3D World cat ears (and some other stuff) that I'm willing to give away. I'll post how many cat ears I have later (one 1 set of Blue cat ears)

I wouldn't mind a pair if it's possible. :)

newarrior

What a fantastic game. Beat
Cat Bowser
with my gf, we played through the whole game together. Some of those levels are rough with 2 players,I can't imaging them with 4. Just started on the Star Worlds, that first level destroyed us. It's gonna be a long winter trying to clear all these...

Got a bunch of 3D World cat ears (and some other stuff) that I'm willing to give away. I'll post how many cat ears I have later (one 1 set of Blue cat ears)

I will pay for shipping.

Riposte

I've never played Galaxy 2 and people saying it is better than this game without also saying Galaxy is better than this game makes me want to play it.

Gartooth

I've never played Galaxy 2 and people saying it is better than this game without also saying Galaxy is better than this game makes me want to play it.

Play it, controlling a character in the Galaxy series is such an absolute joy (3D World will feel sluggish afterwards) and Galaxy 2 is filled with as many cool ideas as the game before it.

I'm at post game and I still cannot get a grasp of the controls . The physics and the way these characters handle have see.tingly been built from scratch and for the worse. I should not be having so much problems worrying about what is going on with my controller. I also cannot for the life of me get a handle on where these jumps land. This is just a mess
well okay

Gartooth

I'm at post game and I still cannot get a grasp of the controls . The physics and the way these characters handle have see.tingly been built from scratch and for the worse. I should not be having so much problems worrying about what is going on with my controller. I also cannot for the life of me get a handle on where these jumps land. This is just a mess

There will be plenty of those weird situations in the game where you overshoot a jump or don't land where you expect, but a good tip is to look for your character's shadow on a platform so that you can recorrect their path before it is too late.

I'm thinking about doing a write-up on this game overall sometime later, but I do get the sense that the character control is not as satisfying (they're very responsive though in my experience) as either traditional 2D or 3D Mario games.

narton

My local best buy has a used copy of Pikmin 3 for $35, which is kind of a good deal. Should I get this or Pikmin 3? I've only played a little fo the first one to get the trophy in smash bros.

mstevens

My local best buy has a used copy of Pikmin 3 for $35, which is kind of a good deal. Should I get this or Pikmin 3? I've only played a little fo the first one to get the trophy in smash bros.

You should *definitely* get both eventually, so if you can pick up Pikmin 3 for cheap now I'd go with that.

Gartooth

Are you a fan of the strategy / time&resource management kind of gameplay Pikmin provides? If that kind of gameplay is a bit foreign to you then I would recommend 3D World first and then coming back to Pikmin 3 later. Both are great games, but I think you will get more hours of enjoyment out of 3D World.

narton

Are you a fan of the strategy / time&resource management kind of gameplay Pikmin provides? If that kind of gameplay is a bit foreign to you then I would recommend 3D World first and then coming back to Pikmin 3 later. Both are great games, but I think you will get more hours of enjoyment out of 3D World.

Yea, I'm not sure I'd even like Pikmin. It looks well made though, and that's a really good price. I don't even remember the last time paying 60 bucks for a game though, yikes.

Stoze

Galaxy 2 destroys Galaxy 1. It was probably the first time a platformer was my GOTY.

A lot of people won't agree with you, but I do. For me it was like take Galaxy 1, cut out all the fat, throw in 3 times as many ideas and variety in the level design, make it more challenging, and then have the 2nd set of 120 stars actually be rewarding rather than just playing through everything again with Luigi. Galaxy 2 is one of my favorite games of the past generation.

I think I can gather that you're a man who puts your gameplay first in which case you'd possibly still prefer 3D World on the whole since it doesn't make you take part in the odd minigame outside of Captain Toad but I think it's absolutely worth checking out Galaxy 2. I'd go as far to say that SMG2 is "on" from world 1, it never felt to me like it was taking the usual slower build up a Mario game takes to ease all types of players in, its predecessor itself was that build up and SMG2 jumps straight in constantly throwing new ideas at the player every step of the way. It was the origin of some of 3D Land/Worlds more interesting stage design elements such as Beep/Beat Blocks and the Flip Panels, I think both those games owe a lot to SMG2's own approach to level design.

I have literally never had that problem or heard of anyone else having that problem. Weird.

A lot of people won't agree with you, but I do. For me it was like take Galaxy 1, cut out all the fat, throw in 3 times as many ideas and variety in the level design, make it more challenging, and then have the 2nd set of 120 stars actually be rewarding rather than just playing through everything again with Luigi. Galaxy 2 is one of my favorite games of the past generation.

I'm one that doesn't. For me, Galaxy 2 expanded on the less interesting aspects of Galaxy rather than the more interesting ones. Other than the camera being slightly improved, there was not a single thing about Galaxy 2 that I preferred over the original. But then again, it's hard to improve upon something that is already nearly perfect. When it comes to 3DL vs 3DW though, it's the opposite. I found 3D Land to be quite bland by Mario's standards, and haven't been so underwhelmed by a main Mario game since the original NSMB. 3D World I feel is the best Mario since the original Galaxy, a return to form for EAD Tokyo, and in my top 2 games of the year (I haven't decided between it and The Wonderful 101 yet.)

Riposte

I'm at the "collect everything" point. Don't really care to right now, but will be fun to use this to fill in some free time. I feel like from SMB3DL they maximized the pros (variety, pace, 2nd half), minimized the cons (first half, less platforming linearity) and made a great game. At least that's how I'm seeing it right now. I really ought to play Galaxy 2. Sometime next year, as I'll be playing fewer new games I think.

I'm one that doesn't. For me, Galaxy 2 expanded on the less interesting aspects of Galaxy rather than the more interesting ones. Other than the camera being slightly improved, there was not a single thing about Galaxy 2 that I preferred over the original.

What are these aspects?

Insaniac

I want to put my 2 cents in, for people who haven't experienced the multiplayer yet, play this with ONE other person around your skill level. The game is so much fun this way. 3 - 4 players is a blast, but can get chaotic, frustrating at times (especially when less experienced or impatient players run off and screw up the camera, extremely annoying), it can definitely be fun if you're just playing casually, but with 2 players, the game remains challenging and fun at the same time with out either of you really getting in each others way. You can also coordinate your paths to try to "speed run" levels and such.

What are these aspects?

There were more prankster comets, more ? stars that were usually uninteresting, more mini game style stars like the chimp and the wiimote flying levels. Cloud Mario was not interesting in any way. There was less focus on crazy gravity based levels. I also feel the music wasn't as good, and Yoshi's powerups were mostly underwhelming. Speed Yoshi wasn't used interestingly, nor was floating Yoshi. His tongue grabbing the flowers was essentially a pull star. The cliche level themes like desert, fire, and ice were less interesting designs than their Galaxy 1 counterparts. There was recycled content from not only Galaxy 1, but from Sunshine as well. The 120 green stars bored me to death... Nothing new changed about any of the levels... It simply put them in a different place that was occasionally hard to reach.

Don't get me wrong, there was plenty about it I enjoyed. I liked the rhythm based aspects like how gravity would switch with the beat or how the blocks would shift. I thought light Yoshi was by far the best use of him, along with just being able to eat things up. I liked the drill powerup. There was plenty of creative level design, bosses, and music, even if they didn't reach the level of Galaxy for me. It was just a disappointing follow up to perhaps the game of the generation for me.

I played Mario64 when first released, and even then I was a little disappointed when finished. Not because of any of the points you made - I thought it was a gorgeous revolution in gaming. Rather, how few levels there were. I honestly believed that there would be a "course" for every star.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I played Mario64 when first released, and even then I was a little disappointed when finished. Not because of any of the points you made - I thought it was a gorgeous revolution in gaming. Rather, how few levels there were. I honestly believed that there would be a "course" for every star.

This is why I think the current 3D Mario games are more ambitious than 64. It really confuses me when so many people feel otherwise, Mario 64 had 15 full stages and a handful of mini ones. I can understand preferring the more open structure, but 3D World has how many unique stages? 70ish? I'd call that a lot more ambitious from a development and creativity standpoint, especially since Mario 64's goal design was frequently pretty poor (do the same thing slightly differently = new star).

Galaxy kind of meets both in the middle, re-using stages but often changing them a lot more than 64 did per star, while still having more unique stages than 64 did. It allowed for better goal design while not having to create a ton of stages since they didn't force themselves to cram 6(/7) stars into a course that didn't support that many goals.

I played a Wii U for the first time today at a local BB. I played the first level of SM 3D World. It looked fantastic, and it was good fun. It was a brief demo but I loved bright colours and weird designs (I haven't played a Mario game in a long time). I did have a little trouble figuring out where in space my character was when I was jumping. Maybe it was just the camera angle or something.

About the console, the controller was not really comfortable to me at all. The contours for my hands weren't 'deep' enough, so I sort of had to hold it the way I do my Vita (which is not great either). Also, it looked so, so much better on the TV than on the gamepad that I don't think I would ever use the gamepad screen given the choice (aside from off-TV play I guess). I wish I could have tried the demo with the Pro controller. Hopefully that would be more comfortable..

I also played W101 briefly. It was fun (*I think, it was pretty hectic), but it looked noticeably worse than SM3DW to me. Or at least, the aliasing was quite apparent.

Crayolan

Anyone wanna give me a hint as to where the stamp is in World 6-3? It's the Ninja Castle level. I spent around 30 minutes looking all over but can't find it.

Top Bottom