• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone wanna give me a hint as to where the stamp is in World 6-3? It's the Ninja Castle level. I spent around 30 minutes looking all over but can't find it.

It's in the section toward the end of the level with the spiked things rolling toward the screen.
And even that probably won't help :lol

That was probably one of the hardest things to find in the whole game.

Shauni

Anyone wanna give me a hint as to where the stamp is in World 6-3? It's the Ninja Castle level. I spent around 30 minutes looking all over but can't find it.

It's hard to say without out right spoiling how to get there. Best hint I can give without doing so is pay attention to where those spike rods are actually going

I finally did it!
I conquered Champion's Road at last! With that, my playthrough with Peach ends. :( Now, I'm gonna tackle the other 4 characters, starting with Rosalina.

Truly a magnificent game all around.

JakeD

toad doing his jesus impersonation

ikopyxJqbIXvP.jpg

I'm dying more than I have in any 3d Mario game, who's saying this game is too easy? It's difficulty seems perfectly pitched for my skill level. Loving every minute of it.

Davey Cakes

I'm dying more than I have in any 3d Mario game, who's saying this game is too easy? It's difficulty seems perfectly pitched for my skill level. Loving every minute of it.
People who say it's too easy are REALLY good at Mario games.

I consider myself part of this group since I 100%'d Galaxy 1/2 and NSMB Wii/U with relative ease (though even I wasn't hardcore enough to get all gold metals in NSMBU's challenges).

I'm in World Flower now and while I'm not suffering, I'm certainly taking multiple tries on each stage and dying or retrying multiple times.

The game's really easy (again, for someone like me) up to a point but around World 7 it starts to turn things towards being legitimately challenging for, well, anybody.

Skilletor

I didn't die much until post game, but I don't die much in any Mario game, so I think if this being too easy is a negative then it's a complaint that should be lobbied at almost every Mario game. Lost Levels is the only challenging game, imo.

FINALLY got the game. I just can't help but get absorbed in its visuals and the absolutely ASTOUNDING music. The second athletic theme is just... wow. Playing with my sister makes it hard to truly focus on it, especially when we're spending so much time dying due to all the chaos, lol.

Definitely going to make a second file to really experience this game alone. :p

Riposte

As is the case with all Mario games, I play recklessly as fuck and randomly decide to test out dangerous theories (especially involving the cat suit lol). It makes the easier parts more bearable at least.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at post game and I still cannot get a grasp of the controls . The physics and the way these characters handle have see.tingly been built from scratch and for the worse. I should not be having so much problems worrying about what is going on with my controller. I also cannot for the life of me get a handle on where these jumps land. This is just a mess

I feel very similarly to you, but I'm still on world 6 in the first half of the game. I have a feeling that the people who are shouting their love for the game are having a much better time with the controls.

Also, fuck that level mid way through world 6 with all of the speed boost ramps. Definitely going to take a break from this game for a while.

Oh yeah, that's actually my current (and only) complaint about this game. Having no goddamn idea where your character is going to land after jumping. I never know what freaking angle I'm in in contrast to the enemy below/beside me, so I usually end up touching the side of them and getting hit. It's pretty annoying. Hopefully I'll manage to get used to it. *shrug*

Oh yeah, that's actually my current (and only) complaint about this game. Having no goddamn idea where your character is going to land after jumping. I never know what freaking angle I'm in in contrast to the enemy below/beside me, so I usually end up touching the side of them and getting hit. It's pretty annoying. Hopefully I'll manage to get used to it. *shrug*

Dude... Mario has a dedicated shadow underneath him no matter the lighting

That's what you use to get an accurate landing.

Not sure if this is your first 3D mario, but it's been like that for awhile now

lt519

FINALLY got the game. I just can't help but get absorbed in its visuals and the absolutely ASTOUNDING music. The second athletic theme is just... wow. Playing with my sister makes it hard to truly focus on it, especially when we're spending so much time dying due to all the chaos, lol.

Definitely going to make a second file to really experience this game alone. :p

It's funny that my main concern when this was announced was that'd it'd be too focused on multiplayer. MP is a blast, but the game is still most enjoyable/playable alone. Much much more difficult too collect everything solo too.

Marjar

Banned
I actually tried playing some SM64 today, out of curiosity, and it really just feels like shit to control. Definitely has not aged well at all lol.

I still think this game, 3D Land, and Sunshine are the best feeling 3D Mario games. Everything just feels right.

I'm at post game and I still cannot get a grasp of the controls . The physics and the way these characters handle have see.tingly been built from scratch and for the worse. I should not be having so much problems worrying about what is going on with my controller. I also cannot for the life of me get a handle on where these jumps land. This is just a mess
Somebody said it above, but: watch Mario's shadow.

People say the stereoscopic 3D Land helped with this, but IMO it only helps slightly. 3D platforming is a bit of a bitch, you need to use tricks to make it easier. The helping hand they give you is your character's shadow.

In Galaxy it's even nicer, since you have your shadow and a momentum canceling second jump (the spin) to help you land more precisely.

CassSept

In the past you didn't have to rely on shadow to land a jump though, it all felt natural. I agree wholeheartedly that the controls are very awkward. They are incredibly tight as long as you stay on ground, but platforming in 3D takes some time to accommodate. I think I didn't really get used to 3D Land/3D World weird momentum until
Champion's Road
, that was when it finally clicked. Maybe because that's the first time across the two games when you need the absolute grasp over the move arsenal.

im comparing the 2 games objectively. I acknowledge that at the time it was inspired. But i'm comparing the 2 games as games now, not the fact that one preceded the other. Obviously the new 3d marios owe it a debt. thats not really what I'm getting at. obviously people will disagree with me, I just don't feel the level design is nearly as good as the galaxy games.

That's very unfair. Granted, I did not play SM64 in years, but the controls were great (at least on N64 pad) and camera is still quite decent and easy to adjust. Some of the later levels are very imaginative with either very interesting and fun quirky mechanics (Wet-Dry World, Tiny Huge Island) or overall great design (both winter courses, especially Snowman's Land; Rainbow Ride). If given a new coat of paint and more fluid camera control it would play as good as ever (as evidenced e.g. by OoT3D, which had shown that with tiny adjustments the core of the game has aged mind-blowingly well). And obviously soundtrack is midi, but it features a lot of incredibly catchy tunes, very few of them which are remixes of old songs.

And of course, we can't consider the game without it's historical significance. It's a seminal game that simply cannot be rated on the same terms we rate games these days. It was truly a revolutionary game and reached such levels of excellence in all aspects of the game that it's incomparable. Honestly, I'd say so far only Galaxy 2 managed to outdo SM64 in terms of the overall package. You can't accuse original SMB of being a boring because SMB3 came on the same platform yet was more impressive in every aspect (giraffics, powerups, amount of content), or because it features very few environments. I'll have to replay SM64 soon, but the game is still honestly great, if outdated in some areas.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ok, I've collected the 210 stars needed to unlock that level in the Star world...finally!
are there other levels after that?

zigg

People say the stereoscopic 3D Land helped with this, but IMO it only helps slightly. 3D platforming is a bit of a bitch, you need to use tricks to make it easier. The helping hand they give you is your character's shadow.
Shadows are only helpful if you have ground underneath you. If you're landing on a small block in the middle of open space, you're doomed. I personally find stereoscopy to be highly useful in these situations.

Yes, there are more than a few areas in 3D World where it's difficult to gauge and judge jumps.
World Star - 1
is probably the worst in this regard, especially thanks to the garbage default camera angle of that stage.

muteki

General question to those that played 3D World:

I played Galaxy 1 and for the most part enjoyed it, and thought the comets were an interesting diversion at the end to create more replay value.

I played Galaxy 2 and about halfway through started hitting start quota walls that required me to go back and play comet levels for more stars. I saw this as a quick way to rehash some levels to squeeze more play time out of a game that didn't have the content to support it. Really frustrated me, and I never finished it because of it.

Does 3D World have any cheap backtracking that is required to advance like Galaxy 2?

General question to those that played 3D World:

I played Galaxy 1 and for the most part enjoyed it, and thought the comets were an interesting diversion at the end to create more replay value.

I played Galaxy 2 and about halfway through started hitting start quota walls that required me to go back and play comet levels for more stars. I saw this as a quick way to rehash some levels to squeeze more play time out of a game that didn't have the content to support it. Really frustrated me, and I never finished it because of it.

Does 3D World have any cheap backtracking that is required to advance like Galaxy 2?

You need green stars to progress but, uh, what 3D Mario have you played that didn't gate progress behind needing more stars?

muteki

You need green stars to progress but, uh, what 3D Mario have you played that didn't gate progress behind needing more stars?

It's not the progress gates that bothered me so much, but rather that in Galaxy 2 to meet the quota you had to basically backtrack and do time-trials or other nonsense on levels you already completed. To me it seemed like this was done in lieu of adding additional levels and was padding the game.

I didn't run into anything like this in 3d land that I can remember, but it would keep me from enjoying 3d world if it were there.

andymcc

Banned
It's not the progress gates that bothered me so much, but rather that in Galaxy 2 to meet the quota you had to basically backtrack and do time-trials or other nonsense on levels you already completed. To me it seemed like this was done in lieu of adding additional levels and was padding the game.

I didn't run into anything like this in 3d land that I can remember, but it would keep me from enjoying 3d world if it were there.

You just have to collect stars, a stamp and gold flagposts to get EVERYTHING.

You're responsible for one more collectible than in Mario 3D Land. If you get the stars/stamp in the first go-around, you wouldn't need to worry about replaying a level.

You do not have to go back and get anything, assuming you get it the first time.

In the past you didn't have to rely on shadow to land a jump though, it all felt natural. I agree wholeheartedly that the controls are very awkward. They are incredibly tight as long as you stay on ground, but platforming in 3D takes some time to accommodate. I think I didn't really get used to 3D Land/3D World weird momentum until
Champion's Road
, that was when it finally clicked. Maybe because that's the first time across the two games when you need the absolute grasp over the move arsenal.

That's very unfair. Granted, I did not play SM64 in years, but the controls were great (at least on N64 pad) and camera is still quite decent and easy to adjust. Some of the later levels are very imaginative with either very interesting and fun quirky mechanics (Wet-Dry World, Tiny Huge Island) or overall great design (both winter courses, especially Snowman's Land; Rainbow Ride). If given a new coat of paint and more fluid camera control it would play as good as ever (as evidenced e.g. by OoT3D, which had shown that with tiny adjustments the core of the game has aged mind-blowingly well). And obviously soundtrack is midi, but it features a lot of incredibly catchy tunes, very few of them which are remixes of old songs.

And of course, we can't consider the game without it's historical significance. It's a seminal game that simply cannot be rated on the same terms we rate games these days. It was truly a revolutionary game and reached such levels of excellence in all aspects of the game that it's incomparable. Honestly, I'd say so far only Galaxy 2 managed to outdo SM64 in terms of the overall package. You can't accuse original SMB of being a boring because SMB3 came on the same platform yet was more impressive in every aspect (giraffics, powerups, amount of content), or because it features very few environments. I'll have to replay SM64 soon, but the game is still honestly great, if outdated in some areas.

The camera is pretty bad by comparison to the new marios. I think you are missing my point though. I see people saying that mario 64 IS a better game NOW, as is. That is what I don't quite understand as it felt like somewhat a chore to play. Granted I didn't play with an N64 controller, maybe that'd make a big difference. I agree the soundtrack is great, and there are some cool level ideas. I just don't think they are even close to galaxy levels. We even got a throwback level in smg2 with a fresh coat of paint and the new mechanics already present, and it was a decent level, but not as good as almost any others in that game. I do think if they updated it it'd be a lot less of a chore to get through. But i'd much rather see that style of game with new levels as the EAD team has obviously learned a ton about making 3d platforming levels. I beat Oot for the first time on my 3ds and I can say that game has aged beautifully, or shall I say hardly aged at all.

Dr.Hadji

So I didn't figure this out until the end of the end of the game. If you jump off of enemies your lose all of your previously built up momentum. But if you POMP off of the enemies your keep all your momentum! Long jump into a Goomba POMP feels good man.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I didn't figure this out until the end of the end of the game. If you jump off of enemies your lose all of your previously built up momentum. But if you POMP off of the enemies your keep all your momentum! Long jump into a Goomba POMP feels good man.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, I actually learned this pretty early. You have to be holding forward (the direction you are running) when you hit the enemy's head or you will lose all momentum.

Not sure the reason behind this design decision, but I was frustrated as hell trying to get a star until I figured it out.

Dr.Hadji

If I'm understanding your post correctly, I actually learned this pretty early. You have to be holding forward (the direction you are running) when you hit the enemy's head or you will lose all momentum.

Not sure the reason behind this design decision, but I was frustrated as hell trying to get a star until I figured it out.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I'm always holding forward all the time anyway, yet my momentum would always be cut. I'll look more into it later.

POMP = timing jumps when landing on enemies to receive and extra vertical boost. Stole the word from Mario Kart 64. When you land from high enough and hop with your car upon landing "'POMP" appear comic book style. And by my theory, it maintains your horizon momentum as well.

Shauni

Finally got to the crown level. Finished the last Captain Toad level, which only disappointed me in knowing it was the last one.

Haven't done the traditional level, but the mystery house seems like a pain. Do you have to get all the stars like the others, or is there a checkpoint like half way through or anything? I get that the "endurance" is part of the challenge, but after about 15 stars and having to go all the way back, I'm already fairly fed up with it.

Zing

Banned
I've accepted that I will never complete those final two stages. I'm almost 40 years old now. I don't need that stress.

Gartooth

I never want to see a Mystery House level ever again in this series. (Went through Mystery House Marathon 3 times to get all character portrait stamps)

Shauni

I never want to see a Mystery House level ever again in this series. (Went through Mystery House Marathon 3 times to get all character portrait stamps)

I haven't even finished it yet with a single character, and I feel the same way. They really needed to put the rooms by about half, it just gets so damn tedious after awhile.

Top Bottom