• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Has anyone else seemed to not get Mii ghosts in their levels when replaying them?

I've had network functions and Mii ghosts turned on. But I've never seen any ghosts show up in my game, when I go back into a level again. Oddly enough someone else on the same console, when loading their save file, gets Mii ghosts regularly.
I have been replaying a lot of levels and haven't had many ghosts show up, only a level or two actually and that was a few nights ago. The past few days I haven't had any show up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Approximately how much left is there to do after you beat the main game? I don't mean collecting things, but levels.

General list in spoilers:

Worlds Flower, Mushroom, and Star, with much harder levels.
World Crown after that with the final three ultimate challenge stages.

imae

Approximately how much left is there to do after you beat the main game? I don't mean collecting things, but levels.

More than you might expect, perhaps ~20% of the game, roughly the number of levels is:

30+ levels spread across 4 additional worlds, and those levels are tougher so you'll likely spend more time playing per level

ciD_Vain

General list in spoilers:

Worlds Flower, Mushroom, and Star, with much harder levels.
World Crown after that with the final three ultimate challenge stages.

A good third of the game is post game content.

More than you might expect, perhaps ~20% of the game, roughly the number of levels is:

30+ levels spread across 4 additional worlds, and those levels are tougher so you'll likely spend more time playing per level

Wow. Thanks guys!

My friends and I have decided that this game is quite nearly perfect. We "beat" it tonight with four-players and
have completed one special world
and we have decided that the only thing wrong with the game is that getting to top speed takes a little bit too long, and that's it. This game is incredible and I love it.

Tankshell

Guys, what is this game like playing with an old fashioned Wiimote+Nunchuk?

I have picked up a Wii U+Wii Fit U+SM3DW for my other half for Christmas (not a stealth present to myself, she really does want one!), but we will only have the 1 new Wii U Game Pad, but I do have a left over Wiimote+Nunchuk from a few years back when we had a Wii.

Will this setup work ok for 2 player co-op?

I have picked up a Wii U+Wii Fit U+SM3DW for my other half for Christmas (not a stealth present to myself, she really does want one!), but we will only have the 1 new Wii U Game Pad, but I do have a left over Wiimote+Nunchuk from a few years back when we had a Wii.

Just a Wiimote will work fine as well.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
A bit unrelated, but I've been playing this game for a while, and using the Wii U gamepad makes (the palm of) my hand hurt like hell. Yesterday the pain extended all the way up to my elbow. First time I've experienced this with a controller. I'm probably going back to nunchuck + mote or get the Wii U pro controller, if this goes on. Thanks Mario

hoserx

A bit unrelated, but I've been playing this game for a while, and using the Wii U gamepad makes (the palm of) my hand hurt like hell. Yesterday the pain extended all the way up to my elbow. First time I've experienced this with a controller. I'm probably going back to nunchuck + mote or get the Wii U pro controller, if this goes on. Thanks Mario

What part of the controller is making your hand hurt? Maybe you have arthritis? I'm not a doctor but I am diagnosing you with it. Yes. You have arthritis.

zigg

A bit unrelated, but I've been playing this game for a while, and using the Wii U gamepad makes (the palm of) my hand hurt like hell. Yesterday the pain extended all the way up to my elbow. First time I've experienced this with a controller.
Gripping it too tightly?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What part of the controller is making your hand hurt? Maybe you have arthritis? I'm not a doctor but I am diagnosing you with it. Yes. You have arthritis.

That's weird: I didn't notice anything while playing at first, but yesterday when I stopped the bottom part of my left palm hurt quite a bit.

zigg said:
Gripping it too tightly?

Could be it.

maxcriden

Yes, it will work great. We've been playing Wiimote+Nunchuk throughout (except for the relatively few levels requiring the Gamepad) and it feels great.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That's weird: I didn't notice anything while playing at first, but yesterday when I stopped the bottom part of my left palm hurt quite a bit.

Could be it.

What I usually do is jerk off vigorously at the title screen. Numbs my hands to any pain when I'm repeatedly getting my ass kicked on the final level.

Gartooth

I decided to go back and get the character portrait stamps... what a pain. Just used the trick of having other characters drop in at the end of a level and then having them all touch the flagpole.

Riposte

Is the move set really all that limited? I don't feel like it is, especially if you consider the cat moves (oh and character differences I suppose). It is enough where I find myself exploring the move set, whereas I heard people say you don't do that in this game at all. Is there a complete list?

It's not so much a case of the moveset being limited, it's more that the various supplementary jumps are gimped enough that they have little benefits compared to previous 3D Mario games since the standard jump with a good run up can do a lot of the jobs that the likes of the long jump and sideflip were handy for, the less said about the backflip the better.
It doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things since stages here are designed in a different manner to previous 3D Mario games for the most part, the game plays by different rules where items play a greater role in how you can approach a stage differently as opposed to using the different types of jumps to cut corners and all that. Even so I can't help but feel like the simple fun of jumping around lost a small step for me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Boss Blitz can be so frustrating: every boss is easy as always in Mario games, but the time limit is such a pain

The key is probably taking down both Hisstocrats in the same attack?

Riposte

It's not so much a case of the moveset being limited, it's more that the various supplementary jumps are gimped enough that they have little benefits compared to previous 3D Mario games since the standard jump with a good run up can do a lot of the jobs that the likes of the long jump and sideflip were handy for, the less said about the backflip the better.
It doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things since stages here are designed in a different manner to previous 3D Mario games for the most part, the game plays by different rules where items play a greater role in how you can approach a stage differently as opposed to using the different types of jumps to cut corners and all that. Even so I can't help but feel like the simple fun of jumping around lost a small step for me.

Hmm, so they are not very useful? I could see that. Though I do think the long jump is still pretty useful.

The long jump is pretty close to useless. I really hate how it causes your character to slide if you long jump into a slight incline as well.

I also really don't like how hard it is to keep your momentum up in this. Like, the only thing I can think of that you can do while running in high gear and keep your high gear speed is to jump and land on a solid surface. If you jump on an enemy, it's gone. If you long jump, it's gone, etc. The tiered running speed is probably my least favorite addition in this game and I would be very glad to see it never appear again.

Finally Finished the game, I think I played the game straight for 9 hours, I have not done this with any game in YEARS. Everything about it was amazing.

What a game, also it took me like 2 hours to clear the god damn Crown level.

If I had to complain about anything it would be how the roll and long jump were kinda useless.

MDX

What I usually do is jerk off vigorously at the title screen.

image.php

Hmm, so they are not very useful? I could see that. Though I do think the long jump is still pretty useful.
Long Jump can have its moments (mainly for when you don't have room to build up running speed to make a bigger jump, the long jump bypasses this need to build up the momentum to a degree) but its jumping arc is lowered raising the chance that you may just end up smacking into the tip of a platforms edge if like me you still hold the properties of the old long jump in mind, some shameful deaths I've had due to this.
The flagpole itself is worth pointing out when it comes to the jumping, a long jump is a reliable way to get the golden flagpole as long as you time it just right so the arc doesn't fall short at the last second, meanwhile it's still possible to use a standard running jump to reach the top of the pole as long as the opportunity to gain some speed is there.

Abilities like those of the Cat and Tanooki suits are big platforming aids, if a stage is designed with verticality then the Cat suit will likely turn up, in turn this means that jumps like the backflip and sideflip that would usually be more handy for these vertical segments end up outclassed by the ability to simply scale the walls as long as you have the suit on hand. Then you've got other character abilities as well as the power ups, Peach, Luigi and
Rosalina
all bring their own boosts to the standard jump, 3D World's jump enhancements come from a different direction to previous 3D Mario games.

There's still the odd circumstance that the other types of jump can come in handy here, spin jump gets the most height if I recall though it's not great for precision. Really it's that the formerly more advanced moves so to speak have their benefits scaled back and the standard jump gets quite a boost as well, you could say these small changes make all the jumps a bit more uniform perhaps for the sake of simplicity and this isn't that much of a bad thing in this game with the more direct obstacle course style it has.
Keeping in mind the other fancier jumps all spawned from Super Mario 64 in the first place which favoured exploration and being a sandbox playground, here in 3D World they're not quite as necessary in standard play and are likely remaining here for traditions sake I guess (though there have been stages like the Shell's Secret in Sunshine that pushes some of those more advanced moves in a traditional platforming format).

I think NSMB games got the blend just right, you never need the triple jump in that one with standard jumps and powerups being more than enough but you can save time and cut corners using it and the deceptively useful air spin.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Long jump is still alright, but the rest stand out as eh. Especially the backflip for me, there were a few cases where something was just out of reach and using it seemed to practically match typical jump height.

But I do like crouch sliding as a cat a lot.

imae

I found the 720 spin/helicopter jump useful for reaching higher platforms and it made getting to the top of some flag poles easier. Found myself using it more on later levels, including beep blocks on a certain difficult late level - spin kepts you in the air long enough for the same block to become active again before u land :D
I didn't realize the move existed til about world 5

Backflip and Long jump were useful but never really made use of the roll in any way

bridegur

I'm getting close to the end of this and have loved every minute of it. So great. I'd love to see them take the next game in the direction of the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy style, but I'll be happy with whatever. The thing I'd really like to see a return of is a new, HD take on the Mario 64 title screen.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
First run through
world star
, which is filled with neat ideas. I loved the honeycomb and
moving goal post
levels. I like how these aren't just harder levels, but still introduce concepts and have great creativity in design. They dumped all their best ideas near the tail end of the game, which is awesome. It's the game that keeps on giving.

Got a bunch of 3D World cat ears (and some other stuff) that I'm willing to give away. I'll post how many cat ears I have later (one 1 set of Blue cat ears)

Kawl_USC

Game just gets better and better.

Also that feeling when you get everything for Piranha Creeper Creek after Dark. Fuck that second star. Peach OP.

Riposte

Wow, why am I so bad at getting that jump boost from jumping on enemies/bullets?

This is probably my favorite 3D Mario game. Never played Galaxy 2 though (didn't like Galaxy much).

My friends and I have decided that this game is quite nearly perfect. We "beat" it tonight with four-players and
have completed one special world
and we have decided that the only thing wrong with the game is that getting to top speed takes a little bit too long, and that's it. This game is incredible and I love it.

I'm assuming the delay in reaching top speed is a design choice to make multiplayer less hectic. Meaning, you can see when another player is planning on reaching top speed, so you have more of a chance to catch up, before they hit top speed. If it was instant, someone like toad could just take off right away and leave others behind.

Thats my guess.

Oh, and Champions Road is just brutal. I've taken a break from it, for now.

KU_

Just finished up Pikmin 3 today, and I'm getting SM3DW for Christmas. Cannot wait! Good time to be a Wii U owner.

Top Bottom