• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Azure J

Its like watching your little sister play Super Mario Bros and she doesn't hold the run button and still falls to her death over and over.

LOL.

This just reminded me of how I was that "little sister" to my aunt 21 years ago but instead of getting frustrated, she straight up laughed at me because I couldn't jump over the goomba. Now, I get to harass her about how she's directly responsible for me being competitive as fuck and deeply invested in video games. :p

RagnarokX

I'm not watching the stream to avoid spoilers, but if the commentary on GAF is any indication, this guy is even worse than me at platformers. And that's coming from the guy who died an embarrassing number of times on NSMBU.

The player seems absolutely incapable of recognizing patterns. They are extremely timid and watch telegraphed patterns repeatedly before making a move, but still fail.

Dr.Hadji

I prescribe to the law that every person who gets the game early and streams, SUCKS at the game. Not just kinda bad at the game, I mean "holy shit I'm completely incompetent at video games" bad. This goes all the way back to watching that RE5 stream where they got took TWO HOURS to beat the final boss. This guy is just another log of that fire.

You know, the way I play Mario games I tend to die a lot ( at least in the 2d ones anyway). But that's mostly because I do a lot of risky, stupid unnecessary things. Even still, I think if I were one stream you'd still be able to tell I've got some legit skills.

trixx

I'm not watching the stream to avoid spoilers, but if the commentary on GAF is any indication, this guy is even worse than me at platformers. And that's coming from the guy who died an embarrassing number of times on NSMBU.

To be fair the latter levels in NSMBU are pretty tough but if you managed to beat the game you must be okay at platformers. Collecting all the star coins=good.

Donkey Kong country returns is a different type of beast though imo, that game made me reallize that i'm not good at platformers thani thought. I would die like over 30 times on a given level. Couldn't even dream of getting all "KONG" letters

I thought this was world 1 wow

Krabboss

To be fair the latter levels in NSMBU are pretty tough
Disagree. My dad and little brother played that game together and they had trouble at spots and I'd join and have an easy time of it. One of the star road levels took me a few tries, but that was about it. NSMB games are way too easy.

balohna

See, that nonsense happens when people can't get their terminology straight.

THIS is an Original Wii Classic Controller. This (supposedly) does not work with Super Mario 3D World.

THIS is a Wii Classic Controller Pro. This is NOT an original CC. This DOES work with Super Mario 3D World.

For completion's sake:

This is a Wii U Pro Controller. This does also work with Super Mario 3D World.

This is the Tweet in question:
https://twitter.com/jose_otero/statuses/402902146896891905
It clearly shows a Wii Classic Controller Pro being used. Not an Original Wii Classic Controller.

Any definitive word on this yet? Anyone with an original CC willing to give it a shot?

Mrbob

The digital deluxe promo is awesome I hope Nintendo extends it for the life of the wii u.

Can't wait till the digital release tomorrow it. Buying and downloading ASAP.

Timeaisis

To be fair the latter levels in NSMBU are pretty tough but if you managed to beat the game you must be okay at platformers. Collecting all the star coins=good.

Donkey Kong country returns is a different type of beast though imo, that game made me reallize that i'm not good at platformers thani thought. I would die like over 30 times on a given level. Couldn't even dream of getting all "KONG" letters

Oh, getting to the end wasn't the hard part for me. Collecting all the star coins was. But, considering I'm an obsessive collector of all things star coins, I'd do crazy risky crap to try to collect them and inevitably die. I ended up just accepting I wouldn't get them all and beat it straight. Still a challenging game though, but the star coins definitely made it difficult.

DKCR was a different beast, for sure. That game gets insanely hard near around the halfway point. I beat it through sheer force of will...and accepting that grabbing KONG letters was a recipe for certain death.

TnK

Fun fact: I play DKCR muuuuuuuuuch better than NSMBU. Reason being that DKCR had tighter controls. Hence why I think dying a lot in NSMBU may be related to its somewhat floaty controls.

I beat DKCR 100% but not NSMBU till now.

Krabboss

Just to confirm, you can play this game with a OG Wii-Remote sideways, right?

Yeah.

Also why do people keep using OG as if it means "original"?

DKCR was a different beast, for sure. That game gets insanely hard near around the halfway point. I beat it through sheer force of will...and accepting that grabbing KONG letters was a recipe for certain death.
DKCR was rough. ROUUUUGH.

I found NSMB games to have tighter controls than DKCR though.

Original Gangster

Yeah, I know. That's my point. It means original gangster, not original. OG whatever doesn't really make any sense.

Final count of all content, including post game. Don't click if you don't want it spoiling.

380 green stars

85 stamps

92 golden flagpoles

4 post-game worlds (Star, Mushroom, Fire Flower and Crown) on top of the eight regular ones

1 extra playable character (Rosalina)

Of those 85 stamps, you can only collect 80 by actually finding them in the levels. The last five are earned by completing every level in the game with all five characters (including those dreaded Champion Road and Mystery House Marathon levels, fucking hell). You get a special sticker for every character you've completed all levels with. I don't think I'm going to collect the last four stickers, as I don't think I'll be arsed to complete the Mystery House Marathon with Luigi, Peach, Toad and Rosalina. Life's too short.

EDIT: Luckily, in every level, you only have to collect the green stars, sticker and flagpole top *once*, regardless of the character you're playing with. In other words, if you *are* going for those last few stickers, you can just speedrun the levels with the other characters.

ASIS

Final count of all content, including post game. Don't click if you don't want it spoiling.

380 green stars

85 stamps

92 golden flagpoles

4 post-game worlds (Star, Mushroom, Fire Flower and Crown) on top of the eight regular ones

Of those 85 stamps, you can only collect 80 by actually finding them in the levels. The last five are earned by completing every level in the game with all five characters (including those dreaded Champion Road and Mystery House Marathon levels, fucking hell). You get a special sticker for every character you've completed all levels with. I don't think I'm going to collect the last four stickers, as I don't think I'll be arsed to complete the Mystery House Marathon with Luigi, Peach, Toad and Rosalina. Life's too short.

EDIT: Luckily, in every level, you only have to collect the green stars, sticker and flagpole top *once*, regardless of the character you're playing with. In other words, if you *are* going for those last few stickers, you can just speedrun the levels with the other characters.
are the 4 post worlds remixes of old worlds or is it completely new stuff?

380 green stars

85 stamps

92 golden flagpoles

when do you get Rosalina?

iavi

Just applied the Best Buy gift card I got from selling my old 360 towards putting a copy of this game on hold for pick up this Friday. EXCITE!!

This is exactly what I'm doing. Gonna go trade up that old 360 for SM3Dworld & a Wii U Pro controller. Party with it all Sat night. Life gon be good.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah.

Also why do people keep using OG as if it means "original"?

Yeah, I know. That's my point. It means original gangster, not original. OG whatever doesn't really make any sense.

It means both. OG has been used to refer to "original XYZ" for a long time, not just in games. I first encountered this when original studio recordings of old 2Pac songs surfaced on the web. It is both shorthand for just "original" and a specific slang term for Original Gangster.

oatmeal

Banned

380 green stars

85 stamps

92 golden flagpoles

Wow, that's a lot of stuff!

So excited.

This is exactly what I'm doing. Gonna go trade up that old 360 for SM3Dworld & a Wii U Pro controller. Party with it all Sat night. Life gon be good.
Pro controller is a great purchase, I picked one up the day I took the 360 in. Just note that mine took close to six hours to fully charge so free up a USB wall charger.

DoubleDash

Neo Member

380 green stars

85 stamps

92 golden flagpoles

Seems like pleny of content. I'm a little disappointed that all you get for completing every level with all five characters is a stamp. Thats not much of an incentive. Was hoping for a final hidden level a la 3D Land.

trixx

Fun fact: I play DKCR muuuuuuuuuch better than NSMBU. Reason being that DKCR had tighter controls. Hence why I think dying a lot in NSMBU may be related to its somewhat floaty controls.

I beat DKCR 100% but not NSMBU till now.

Not necesserily the platforming levels. Those were tough at times,but for the most part the rocket barrel levels and the mine cart levels were where i lost many lives. I basically had to memorize the sequence. I hate shake to roll also

zroid

Banned
NSMB games just have more difficult controls to master than DKCR. The inertia is greater, so you really have to be precise and on your toes. Not to mention DKCR gives you the jetpack as a failsafe. The level design in DKC is more challenging, but the controls are more forgiving.

This is one of the main reasons people find NSMB games so easy; it's because the controls have been coded into our synapses. We're already experts from minute one. My friends who aren't as familiar with the series find the games tough as nails to control when we're playing multiplayer.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This is one of the reasons people find NSMB games so easy, it's because the controls have been coded into our synapses. We're already experts from minute one. My friends who aren't as familiar with the series find the games tough as nails to control when we're playing multiplayer.
"I've been playing Super Mario games for 25 years. Why are they so easy now?" :p

balohna

"I've been playing Super Mario games for 25 years. Why are they so easy now?" :p

Haha yeah. It was really eye opening trying to teach my girlfriend (who plays games, but prefers simple JRPGs and casual games) how to play Mario. Holding run at all times seems to be the biggest stumbling block. She sort of meanders through the levels and then will get to a point where you MUST run to make a jump and she'll come up short.

Haha yeah. It was really eye opening trying to teach my girlfriend (who plays games, but prefers simple JRPGs and casual games) how to play Mario. Holding run at all times seems to be the biggest stumbling block. She sort of meanders through the levels and then will get to a point where you MUST run to make a jump and she'll come up short.

Everyone has to go through a learning phase hehe

calipha

Neo Member
wiiu_screenshot_tv_010feea.jpg

glorious.

need some ghosts up in here. NNID: Kancel

TnK

Not necesserily the platforming levels. Those were tough at times,but for the most part the rocket barrel levels and the mine cart levels were where i lost many lives. I basically had to memorize the sequence. I hate shake to roll also
Rocket Barrel levels can be played with reaction, but not when trying to get the Kong letters, same thing can be said about the mine cart levels. To each his own I guess.

NSMB games just have more difficult controls to master than DKCR. The inertia is greater, so you really have to be precise and on your toes. Not to mention DKCR gives you the jetpack as a failsafe. The level design in DKC is more challenging, but the controls are more forgiving.

This is one of the main reasons people find NSMB games so easy; it's because the controls have been coded into our synapses. We're already experts from minute one. My friends who aren't as familiar with the series find the games tough as nails to control when we're playing multiplayer.
I don't get the bolded. IMO, the best controls for a 3D mario was SMW, that game was really tight.

Top Bottom