• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Exile20

Final count of all content, including post game. Don't click if you don't want it spoiling.

380 green stars

85 stamps

92 golden flagpoles

4 post-game worlds (Star, Mushroom, Fire Flower and Crown) on top of the eight regular ones

1 extra playable character (Rosalina)

Of those 85 stamps, you can only collect 80 by actually finding them in the levels. The last five are earned by completing every level in the game with all five characters (including those dreaded Champion Road and Mystery House Marathon levels, fucking hell). You get a special sticker for every character you've completed all levels with. I don't think I'm going to collect the last four stickers, as I don't think I'll be arsed to complete the Mystery House Marathon with Luigi, Peach, Toad and Rosalina. Life's too short.

EDIT: Luckily, in every level, you only have to collect the green stars, sticker and flagpole top *once*, regardless of the character you're playing with. In other words, if you *are* going for those last few stickers, you can just speedrun the levels with the other characters.

What is the mystery house marathon?

zroid

Banned
I don't get the bolded. IMO, the best controls for a 3D mario was SMW, that game was really tight.

Apples and oranges, really. Pretty much all Mario games have tight controls. SMW was a bit easier to control than NSMB, but they are all very responsive and highly tuned. Mario is just a little more athletic and inertial in NSMB than SMW by design.

Krabboss

What is the mystery house marathon?

All of the mystery houses put together into a marathon. Mystery houses are made up of 5-10 small challenges to be completed in a set amount of time.

Apples and oranges, really. Pretty much all Mario games have tight controls. SMW was a bit easier to control than NSMB, but they are all very responsive and highly tuned. Mario is just a bit more athletic and inertial in NSMB than SMW by design.

NSMB has spins for OP air control. It's easier to control than SMW.

Final count of all content, including post game. Don't click if you don't want it spoiling.

380 green stars

85 stamps

92 golden flagpoles

4 post-game worlds (Star, Mushroom, Fire Flower and Crown) on top of the eight regular ones

Of those 85 stamps, you can only collect 80 by actually finding them in the levels. The last five are earned by completing every level in the game with all five characters (including those dreaded Champion Road and Mystery House Marathon levels, fucking hell). You get a special sticker for every character you've completed all levels with. I don't think I'm going to collect the last four stickers, as I don't think I'll be arsed to complete the Mystery House Marathon with Luigi, Peach, Toad and Rosalina. Life's too short.

EDIT: Luckily, in every level, you only have to collect the green stars, sticker and flagpole top *once*, regardless of the character you're playing with. In other words, if you *are* going for those last few stickers, you can just speedrun the levels with the other characters.

How long did it take you to beat the main 8 worlds.
And also everything.?

Krabboss

We aren't even talking about the same thing anymore. The spinning thing is part of Mario's increased athleticism, which I mentioned. As is wall-jumping, etc.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't aware talking about ease of control had nothing to do with this statement.

SMW was a bit easier to control than NSMB

Only NSMBW and NSMBU, to be fair. NSMB and NSMB2 have controls more in line with SMW.

Been ages since I played NSMB and I never played NSMB2 so I forgot. Fair enough. I do remember finding NSMBW to be easier than the original NSMB, though.

balohna

Ease of control for experienced players is entirely different from ease of access for new players. The more you can do, the more you have to learn.

sfedai0

Banned
I havent played a Mario game since SMB on SNES and this game brings back the nostalgia hard. I know there have been alot of Mario games since, but which ones are more the classic platformer?

Seems like pleny of content. I'm a little disappointed that all you get for completing every level with all five characters is a stamp. Thats not much of an incentive. Was hoping for a final hidden level a la 3D Land.
well to be fair he never completed all the stamps so there could be a final level. Although i wouldnt expect it. Those were fun surprises in Galaxy, 2 & 3D land when you completed 100%

Anth0ny

380 green stars

85 stamps

92 golden flagpoles

well that sounds fucking boring. like the 1 million coin goal in nsmb2, I can't see myself going through all of that shit for some fucking stickers. where's my unlockable walugi, nintendo???

TnK

Apples and oranges, really. Pretty much all Mario games have tight controls. SMW was a bit easier to control than NSMB, but they are all very responsive and highly tuned. Mario is just a little more athletic and inertial in NSMB than SMW by design.

Fair enough. I sometimes think my frustrations with NSMBU may be from the input lag on the TV, because I remember for making some jumps, I had to use the gamepad. Which proves that NSMBU controls well, but input lag ruins it. I would like to add that the TV I played NSMBU is different than the one I used for DKCR.

balohna

I havent played a Mario game since SMB on SNES and this game brings back the nostalgia hard. I know there have been alot of Mario games since, but which ones are more the classic platformer?

I'll start by listing them all

Classic 2D Mario
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP: "Super Mario USA")
Super Mario Bros. - The Lost Levels (JP: "Super Mario Bros. 2")
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Game Boy Mario
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2

Sort-of 2D Mario
Wario Land series
Yoshi's Story
Yoshi's Island 2
Super Princess Peach

3D Mario
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land

New SMB series
New Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
New Super Mario Bros. 2
New Super Mario Bros. U

If you haven't played any of the classics, play them. If you haven't played any of the 3D ones, play any of them. If you want more, play the New series. If you want even more or are curious, play the Game Boy ones. If you're still not satisfied, play the sort-ofs.

My personal favourites are Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, SMB 3, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy.

maxcriden

Fun fact: I play DKCR muuuuuuuuuch better than NSMBU. Reason being that DKCR had tighter controls. Hence why I think dying a lot in NSMBU may be related to its somewhat floaty controls.

I beat DKCR 100% but not NSMBU till now.

I think this makes sense. I agree that DKCR has tighter controls, in terms of how the character moves. Mario always has had increased floating and momentum when running and jumping compared to DK. I think both games are pretty tough in parts but I think DKCR is much harder to 100%.
And I'm still working on trying to get 200%!

TnK

I think this makes sense. I agree that DKCR has tighter controls, in terms of how the character moves. Mario always has had increased floating and momentum when running and jumping compared to DK. I think both games are pretty tough in parts but I think DKCR is much harder to 100%.
And I'm still working on trying to get 200%!
Wait, you can do that, and it adds up?

Exile20

That was fast. 3D world is back to number 8.

Microsoft started buying their own merchandise to get their products at the top of the Amazon charts.

I find it weird that the system and all the games just suddenly reached the top of the charts.

I kid I kid.

zroid

Banned
Sorry, I guess I wasn't aware talking about ease of control had nothing to do with this statement.

Haha sorry, I didn't mean to sound terse. By athleticism I basically meant you have more options in terms of getting yourself around and bailing yourself out of situations. By ease of control I was primarily referring to starting and stopping... stuff like that. How Mario "feels". Was trying to distinguish this from "tightness" which more closely describes how responsive and precise the controls are -- which is very, across all these games.

Pitmonkey

Couldn't resist.

2H5y6TA.jpg

Wookieomg

Dunno if there's a thread around gaffers posting their NNID's, but here's mine, in case anyone wants to add me. :)

NNID: Wookieomg

Will be playing a ginormous ton of this game! :D

Downhome

I was thinking that if this mario plays as good as the reviews are saying...... just imagine how new and great a new Zelda will be like

That is going to be a glorious game..

Would you prefer a "realistic" styled Zelda akin to Twilight Princess, a Wind Waker-esque game, or something else altogether for Zelda's first foray into a full HD game.

At this point I don't care, just give it to me. I trust them entirely.

Dukey

Banned
I'm gonna be the star of next month's NPDs. Just bought a Mario-Luigi Wii U and a copy of Zelda. Pre-ordered Mario 3D World from Amazon. Because of me, Iwata can eat for another week.

Um, what does it even mean for a section in a platformer to have inspiring platforming?

How about something that's not completely symmetrical to start? It looks like someone took a level builder and just snapped inclined planes together.

Throwback Galaxy is a great one with good variety- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5nfZbKJIpk

Fluffy Bluff Galaxy has even more variety- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hYTFb7UeJk

Just two examples but great because there's a lot of thought put into each level allowing for different approaches to platforming.

mf luder

Didn't someway say if you've played 3D land you know what to expect from post game content which I assumed meant there are special worlds which are remixes of the main worlds.

Top Bottom