• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Krabboss

As excited as I am for this (and let me say I've never really been disappointed with any main Mario game), am I the only one still disappointed with this as the next 3D Mario game? Galaxy to this? But I'm hyped nonetheless and am picking this up at a Walmart Supercenter with my friend at midnight.

I don't mind. I really like Galaxy 1 and 2, but I've no great love for their design. The linear style felt like a step back from SM64 and SMS to me. The space setting was pretty, but I never really felt like it added all that much. So 3D World looks like just another Galaxy to me in terms of design, except this time it's multiplayer.

is there a screenshot of cat rosalina already
?

I want to see this also.

japtor

As excited as I am for this (and let me say I've never really been disappointed with any main Mario game), am I the only one still disappointed with this as the next 3D Mario game? Galaxy to this? But I'm hyped nonetheless and am picking this up at a Walmart Supercenter with my friend at midnight.
Just curious, when's the last time you (or anyone for that matter) played Galaxy? I loved the first but I'm playing 2 for the first time and it seems like there's a lot of annoying fluff now that I don't think bothered me before. It makes me wonder if I'd feel the same about the first one if I went back and played it now.
Yes, I've played it like this on some occasions.
Is the run button just mapped to B?
Literally anything you can plug into a Wii U will work with this game.
The lack of Balance Board support is appalling!

SparkTR

I don't mind. I really like Galaxy 1 and 2, but I've no great love for their design. The linear style felt like a step back from SM64 and SMS to me. The space setting was pretty, but I never really felt like it added all that much. So 3D World looks like just another Galaxy to me in terms of design, except this time it's multiplayer.

I kind of feel the same way, I'm concerned Nintendo are taking steps to streamline the production of 3D Mario games in the same way they did with side-scrolling Mario with the NSMB series.

I'm buying this day one because it looks creative and awesome, but I also felt the same with the original NSMB when that came out. I really want to see a more open and ambitious 3D Mario game in the future, something to take the reigns of what SM64 started.

Peru

I kind of feel the same way, I'm concerned Nintendo are taking steps to streamline the production of 3D Mario games in the same way they did with side-scrolling Mario with the NSMB series.

I'm buying this day one because it looks creative and awesome, but I also felt the same with the original NSMB when that came out. I really want to see a more open and ambitious 3D Mario game in the future, something to take the reigns of what SM64 started.

This is backwards thinking. Mario is inherently linear, originally linear, always linear. To keep it linear is not dumbing it down, it's staying true to what the main series has always been: A series of platforming levels. The most important thing is keeping it focused on platforming, because no other game series really even tries to approach that, and of course to keep inventing and staying playful with level design. "Open" does not mean more "ambitious" or forward-thinking when it comes to Mario. Maybe it'd work, but it has nothing to do with Mario' strengths as we know them today. There are plenty of great open world games, but there are no 3D platforming games coming remotely close to delivering on any of the qualities of 3D Mario.

Sadist

You know, for a lot of the "can it top Galaxy (2)" posts, I always wonder if in general the gaming public can ever be happy with a game that's has it's own indivudual strengths. Not just this game, but other games in long running series as well. I'm no different, but sometimes I take a step back and ask myself why I just did that and don't appreciate titles on their own qualities.

There's a 2D Mario versus 3D Mario debate. Now its linear Mario versus open world Mario. Unlike the way NSMBU turned out(a little inspired but good clone from NSMBWii), I'm really loving their direction with 3D World after 3D Land. The semantics is secondary to fun

SparkTR

This is backwards thinking. Mario is inherently linear, originally linear, always linear. To keep it linear is not dumbing it down, it's staying true to what the main series has always been: A series of platforming levels. The most important thing is keeping it focused on platforming, because no other game series really even tries to approach that, and of course to keep inventing and staying playful with level design. "Open" does not mean more "ambitious" or forward-thinking when it comes to Mario. Maybe it'd work, but it has nothing to do with Mario' strengths as we know them today. There are plenty of great open world games, but there are no 3D platforming games coming remotely close to delivering on any of the qualities of 3D Mario.

I guess ambitious is the wrong word, but SM64 started a trend (reinvention?) where Mario wasn't inherently linear, and now Nintendo seems to have thrown that style of game out the window. I can see it not being a bad thing for everybody, but as a person who grew up with that style of Mario along with the typical 'collectathon' 3D platformer, I guess I'm not happy that that entire sub-genre of game has died out. I enjoyed platformers where more open exploration was just as important as the platforming, both being at the forefront of the experience.

Mik2121

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01p1ejb.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I guess ambitious is the wrong word, but SM64 started a trend (reinvention?) where Mario wasn't inherently linear, and now Nintendo seems to have thrown that style of game out the window. I can see it not being a bad thing for everybody, but as a person who grew up with that style of Mario along with the typical 'collectathon' 3D platformer, I guess I'm not happy that that entire sub-genre of game has died out. I enjoyed platformers where exploration was just as important as the platforming, both being at the forefront of the experience.
Why would I want to spend my time looking for platforms when I could be platforming instead?

Different strokes and all, but generally, I consider Mario 64 style exploration and collectathon based platformers to be products of an age when exploring a 3D world was impressive and captivating all on its own. The novelty isn't there for me anymore, and the more "exploration" you add to the game, the more of a chore it becomes to just pick up and (re)play. I'm much more inclined to revisit games that don't bog me down with a hub world when I just want to get to the action. I don't have the same amount of free time I had in middle school when I could just set aside an entire afternoon and evening for that kind of stuff on a whim.

EDIT: Am I the only one who fucking hates Ghost Houses?

I've never been a fan of Ghost levels in Mario games. Something's off about them. Maybe it's because Ghosts aren't so easily killed. Though Bouldergheist is amazing.

Anybody know what control scheme their going to use? To the people who have the game: What do you guys prefer?

Riki

I don't get why people are disappointed in any way with 3D World. It is basically Galaxy 3 with more awesome and multiplayer.

zroid

Banned
Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh I still haven't been charged for this or Zelda. Starting to get really antsy that they might not ship today. :<

Wow. This is surreal. Last week PS4, tomorrow/tonight this, Zelda and Tearaway.

For me, personally, this month + Pokemon have totally revitalized my gaming.

This game looks like pure happiness and childlike wonder.

Is Gamestop selling this at midnight? Or is it going to be a pain trying to buy this on XboX launch day?

This might be my first time paying $60 for a game.

Gsnap

You know, for a lot of the "can it top Galaxy (2)" posts, I always wonder if in general the gaming public can ever be happy with a game that's has it's own indivudual strengths. Not just this game, but other games in long running series as well. I'm no different, but sometimes I take a step back and ask myself why I just did that and don't appreciate titles on their own qualities.

That's the best way to think about things, I feel. Things is, this game has already topped Galaxy in its own ways. Just maybe not in ways that people care about. The game will obviously have better multiplayer than Galaxy. The game is better looking than Galaxy. The game has better power-ups than Galaxy (since Galacy's power-ups were honestly some of the worst in the series). Depending on the type of platforming you prefer, the game could have better platforming than Galaxy. It could even be argued that the game has more content than Galaxy. A ton of levels, each with 3 green stars and a stamp, Captain Toad levels, mystery boxes, multiplayer, miiverse, and 5 different characters for single player.

Galaxy is a different template that some people might enjoy more. Some people might not care about multiplayer. Some people might prefer the way Galaxy controls, etc. And for some people, it will simply be difficult to match the pure joy they felt when playing Galaxy for the first time.

So there are plenty of ways this game has topped Galaxy and plenty of ways that it hasn't.

I'm not sure whether to be shocked or say congrats.

I can usually wait 15 days to a month for any game I am really interested in and find it for $45 or lower. Advantage of not being interested in multi-player.

Unfortunately, I can never find Nintendo games on sale till at least 6-8 months after release.

The game has better power-ups than Galaxy (since Galacy's power-ups were honestly some of the worst in the series). .

Whoa! While the Cat Mario and the Cherry power-ups look pretty interesting, I think the Galaxy power ups were great as well. While Spring Mario wasn't my favourite, Cloud Mario, Ice Mario, Bee Mario were pretty awesome.

Dinjooh

This might be the wrong thread, but oh well.

So i've just found out that my gf has a Wii, so I thought - yes, time to pick up some of the titles that I wanted to play over the last gen. So i'm looking at Super Mario Galaxy 1, 2 - Animal Crossing - Xenoblade, and overall there's one worrying trend.. They're all extreme expensive for such old games. I get that they're popular, but i'm going to have to pay almost full price for most of these games. What gives?

Gartooth

So incredibly excited for this game! I think one of the aspects that has me most excited is that EAD decided to incorporate multiple characters this time around with unique abilities (rather than just being skins anyway) that seem to heavily encourage replayability. Yeah Luigi has been a mainstay for some time, but he was mostly held off as a mid/post game reward rather than available right from the start so it is nice to be able to pick any character I want rather than being forced to choose Mario. Excited to try out Toad for speedrunning, but I'm certain I will spend a lot of time with all of them.

Doogdogg

So i've just found out that my gf has a Wii, so I thought - yes, time to pick up some of the titles that I wanted to play over the last gen. So i'm looking at Super Mario Galaxy 1, 2 - Animal Crossing - Xenoblade, and overall there's one worrying trend.. They're all extreme expensive for such old games. I get that they're popular, but i'm going to have to pay almost full price for most of these games. What gives?

Because Nintendo evergreen pricing.

Nintendo's games sell for a lot for a very long time.

People don't trade them in that often and they have really good legs.

Madouu

Xenoblade is expensive and hard to find, not much to do about that, although I hear it'll be $40 this black friday at gamestop, need to check that. Also gaffers sell it from time to time in the buy/sell trade for $60 generally. Sadly, this game was limited print and gamestop exclusive.

SMG can be found for relatively cheap since it's part of the Nintendo selects series. (less than $20). SMG2 can be found for around $30 if you look around. Else, I don't think Animal Crossing wii is really worth it to be honest.

Velinos

Tomorrow will be a good day. Sorry Microsoft you may have a new system coming out this week to watch TV, sports, and Calladuty but Nintendo actually has some good games coming out.

Top Bottom