• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Andrew.

Banned
In case you're like me and give zero fucks about spoilers in a Mario game, USGamer put a green star guide to all the levels, including the post-game ones. I was more curious with just how many levels there was, and how much of the post-game stuff is brand new content and recycled/remixed levels.

You lookin to go full 100% completion?

What was the answer to that? I heard the Star world is totally original but then after that there are some remixes? I don't want to read the star guide.

I didn't look at the stars either I'll figure that out on my own, but since there's no pictures...

Star World is all new content, as far as I can tell. Then there's 3 worlds of mostly remixed content, faster variants, trickier item placement, its at night now, etc. There are some unique challenges though; Challenge Road sounds like the Grandmaster Galaxy equivalent, as well as some "ultimate" versions of all the side activities, like the Captain Toad sections, the mystery houses, there's a Boss Rush, etc. So, its kinda the best of both worlds there, a lot of extra content after the initial 8 worlds

You lookin to go full 100% completion?

Well, I have no intention of doing the "Beat all the stages with all four characters and get...EXCLUSIVE STAMPS" thing anytime soon, but I'd like to see all the stages...

bndadm

Going to midnight launch as well. I called the store and they said to get there a little early because of the XBOX One launch. Totally forgot that was tonight! Anyway, be cool to see what kind of crowd forms for a new console launch.

But I don't care that much. Because Mario is waiting for me. And Toad, and Peach, and Luigi. God bless'em.

jkTvY9jSl3oXW.png

great way to wind down after a week of work. can't wait for it tomorrow.

Davey Cakes

My estimated delivery went from November 26th to November 23rd, thankfully. Still don't know why I couldn't get actual release date delivery.

Not going to complain. When I pre-ordered I applied a bunch of Amazon points to the game so I'm getting it for $32, tax included. I can wait an extra day if need be.

I may actually get to get a Wii U and this game tomorrow after thinking I may have to wait a few weeks! I've never missed a mainline Mario launch. All those Super Mario 2 references in this game have me overjoyed,

I find my self constantly rolling on the floor in anticipation. Two of my most favorite franchises have a game coming on the same day; 2 days after my birthday! It's a beautiful thing. I've been wearing the Club Nintendo 25th Anniversary Mario pins on my blazer this week in anticipation; A new one each day! If I didn't have an important meeting on Monday, I'd probably take the day, too.

Raw64life

Mentioned my Amazon issue recently and it finally showed a date earlier today, which is now November 26 :\

Then I tried to cancel it and it says it already shipped despite my status still even to this second showing as "Pre-ordered". Fuck that. Will pick it up somewhere during my lunch break tomorrow and return it unless I see something miraculous on my tracking information tomorrow.

Effect

Been waiting for a trade-in on Amazon to clear (still processing) so I can put in my order for the game. Getting really close to those either getting it off the eShop or trying to grab a copy from GameStop or Best Buy when I go to pick up my preorder for Zelda after work. Then just use the Amazon credit toward the Wii Fit U Fit Meter (which I was going to order at the same time) and something else instead of Mario or just let it sit. I still have eShop credit left after the FE/SMTIV deal that would cut the price by $10 and still give me a digital points kickback.

Decisions.

Anyone ready to not wait for their preorder or the physical copy in general and just buy it off the eShop?

Shinta

Banned
Mentioned my Amazon issue recently and it finally showed a date earlier today, which is now November 26 :\

Then I tried to cancel it and it says it already shipped despite my status still even to this second showing as "Pre-ordered". Fuck that. Will pick it up somewhere during my lunch break tomorrow and return it unless I see something miraculous on my tracking information tomorrow.

I canceled Prime because Amazon went to shit over the last year. It used to be that you could get day one shipping free with Prime. Even without Prime, you could get it for only $1 with a pre-order. Now you pay $80 a year to get your game 2 days late.

I just couldn't take it anymore. I hate Gamestop, but fuck that. I'll drive to the stupid store and get it at midnight.

Amazon used to be good. No longer. Gamestop usually has better pre-order stuff anyway. Amazon used to do $10-20 credit all the time. Now it's almost never. They also used to only use UPS. Now they use Fed-EX smart post, which means they hand it off to the local post office for the last part of delivery, and that part can't be tracked online.

you should have chatted with them. i talked to CS today in the morning. the issue for me was the system thought my address was deleted/invalid. she ended up doing one day delivery. since she wasn't able to give me money back for the one day she just gave me a $4 promo to make it up. This wasn't the only game taht was affected. it also affected Ys Celceta. so i told a different CS about this and it was the same issue but they won't be able to get out the game for me on release day so i asked if i can have ACIV for ps4 to make up for this. and she agreed.
i'm positive that all my orders will face this same issue. wonder what went wrong considering it's the same address i had.

beanman25

This game should be available at Gamestops tomorrow right (on walk in)? I'm planning on riding my bike there tomorrow morning to pick this and Zelda up.

maxcriden

Lol, I personally don't find it spoilerish but alright.

It's spoilery for several reasons. Big spoilers:

Rosalina is strongly associated with Lumas. Surely there might still be some people who don't know she is the fifth playable character in the game. If such a person saw that there are Lumas in the game, they may also think Rosalina's in the game. Hence, it's a spoiler. Further, I knew about Rosalina and about the stamp with her and the Lumas, but I did not know the Lumas were in the game. Personally, I love the Lumas. I think they're great and they're some of my favorite Mario characters. I'm psyched to see them and it would have been nice not to know for a fact going in that I would definitely see them. So if I can preserve that surprise, and especially the surprise of Rosalina being in the game, for anyone else, I would like to. I hope that makes sense.

Alex

I wanted to nab it off of Amazon but they wouldn't deliver it and Zelda at a proper date (just Mario) so I'll just get them locally.

Sakura

It's going to be real hard for me to resist buying this and Zelda digitally at 9PM, instead of picking them up in stores.

Stoze

Going off that green star guide from usgamer, here are some level counts and other spoilers about the general layout of levels if anyone's interested. I might be off by 1 or 2 levels:

116 "levels" in the game. This includes everything, from Captain Toad levels, blockades, any bosses, basically any visitable spot on the map as far as I can tell.

Of those 116;

6 are Captain Toad levels, one for every other odd numbered world.
8 are Blockades, one for every main world.
6 are Mystery Houses, one every other even numbered world.
3(maybe 4) are Hideouts, these are like blockades except you're fighting hammerbros, boomerang bros, etc. I counted three on the guide but it starts the count at #2, so either I missed one or they counted an extra one.

So there seems to be about 93 or 92 regular levels and bosses in the game.

There are 4 extra worlds after the 8 main ones. Judging by the descriptions, the first extra world looks like all original levels, the other 3 seem based off old ones, or are marathon/boss rush type levels.

The final, final world has three levels; Champion's Road which looks like the final platforming type level, Captain Toad's Fiery Finale (included in my Cap Toad level count), and Mystery House Marathon (also included in my Mystery house count).

Dukey

Banned
Do we know how many extra worlds (if there are any) there are?

edit: I just watched the spoilered post above mine. Thank you.

weird. but then again i was close to bitching at them. i should post my chat lol

Initial Question: I just want to find out if this is shipping today for release day shipping (Game is officially out tomorrow)

04:34 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): Hello, my name is Summer. I'll be happy to help you today. Let me take a look at that for yo.
04:35 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): Yes, it looks like it will be leaving us shortly today.
04:36 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): I am seeing a note that the address it's being shipped to is no longer valid. Can you confirm where it is being shipped to?
04:36 PM(GMT) Me: [Redacted]
i've been using this address for all my shipping
unsure why it says invalid
04:37 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): Invalid in our system, sorry. As if it has been deleted from your account. I'm checking on it.
It is addressed correctly.
04:37 PM(GMT) Me: i click the same shipping option every time
no reason for it to not be there
i just had something ship to me earlier this week
and last week
04:38 PM(GMT) Me: and something is coming tomorrow as well
so it should be there
04:38 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): Hmmm. I think that may just be a strange message popping up. It is addressed as you want and everything is looking good. You should see tracking information shortly on this package.
04:39 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): I don't think this message is anything to worry about - if the address is correct then we are fine.
I do see it still saved in your account.
04:39 PM(GMT) Me: my order still says preordered
which is why i'm wondering
04:39 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): It will say that until it ships. That's not a problem.
04:39 PM(GMT) Me: usually it's preparing shipment
so it's coming tomorrow then?
i don't want to have to contact CS again to find out it's coming next week
04:40 PM(GMT) Me: i rather cancel the order rather than finding out later
04:41 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): I'm seeing it just started to bill early this morning. I think it's waiting on the payment to post.
Checking everything to be sure it's ok.
04:41 PM(GMT) Me: okay
04:44 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): It's looking great, but the delivery date does say Tuesday now that it has entered shipping.
Yikse.
04:44 PM(GMT) Me: well i don't want the order if it's coming tuesday
04:44 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): I understand. You need it for the weekend?
04:44 PM(GMT) Me: i was hoping to have it tomorrow
04:45 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): Checking something, just a moment please.
04:45 PM(GMT) Me: okay
04:47 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): Alright, I have got you taken care of.
Here's what's up.
04:48 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): I figured out what was up with the address and fixed it. I also upgraded you to one-day shipping at no additional cost since it looks like the address issue delayed it from shipping yesterday. You will receive it Friday, tomorrow.
04:49 PM(GMT) Me: thank you very much.
thats good to hear
04:50 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): You are very welcome. Yes, it wasn't your fault, the system thought the address was deleted. I changed it to the same one you used for billing that says Me on it. Can I help you with anything else today?
04:51 PM(GMT) Me: no thats it
04:52 PM(GMT) Summer(CSA): It was a pleasure helping you today. Take care and thank you for contacting Amazon!

One question before I duck out of here for a while. This extra character...how do you unlock them? Just beat the game? 100%? Spoiler tag it if you must. I don't want to know who it is, just how to get them.

So i know the xbone launches tonight at gamestop, anyone know if they will have 3d world too? And if so will they let you pick it up or is it strictly xbone pick ups only?

bart64

Banned
This game looks incredible. I just can't bring myself to invest in a Wii U.
Fine, I'll convince you.

If you like Nintendo style games (well designed games :p) this is the smallest and also the most secure investment of the three options. Your non-gaming friends will love you for this and all the other multiplayer games they can play. In one year you'll know whether you want an Xbox or ps4 to go with it. You'll get all the shooting and pirating you want on the current gen or pc. Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, F-zero, Smash...these are either guaranteed or very likely to join the roster. Miiverse asynchronous online interaction is a small revolution. Gamepad trumps competing off-tv, 2nd screen, and media access tech in terms of reliability, lag, and integration.

Have I done it or should I continue?

antonz

So i know the xbone launches tonight at gamestop, anyone know if they will have 3d world too? And if so will they let you pick it up or is it strictly xbone pick ups only?

Seems most are doing a launch for xbone and Mario/Zelda. wouldn't hurt to call to make sure your closest is participating

Kard8p3

One question before I duck out of here for a while. This extra character...how do you unlock them? Just beat the game? 100%? Spoiler tag it if you must. I don't want to know who it is, just how to get them.

beat the second level of the first special world to unlock her.

Amazon still stuck on Shipping Soon for this game and Zelda, but delivery still is tomorrow, and should be because of release-date delivery. But it's getting late now...

I've had several things I've ordered that have said that, but the shipping info had actually not updated properly..and then the game arrived on my doorstep right on time.

fred

Have decided to get my Mum to buy me this for Christmas. She's going to be dropping my pressies off to me on 20th December. Not sure if I have the willpower to resist opening it until Christmas Day lol.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Have decided to get my Mum to buy me this for Christmas. She's going to be dropping my pressies off to me on 20th December. Not sure if I have the willpower to resist opening it until Christmas Day lol.
find a duplicate of the wrapping paper and wrap another game up to replace it.

Servbot24

Banned
Between this, Pikmin 3 and Wpnderful 101, there are more reasons to invest in a Wii U than a PS4 at this point. At least for me.

Wii U has by far the best line up of any next gen console. Not even debatable. Question is how long will it keep that lead. I'm guessing about a year and a half.

Top Bottom