• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Why do people not want to play with the GamePad? I rather like it. Very comfortable.

Maybe it's my huge hands.

I love the gamepad, but I can get why people don't. It's comfy for me but, given the size, I have to readjust my hands slightly to go from joysticks to buttons. I especially have to adjust when hitting different shoulder buttons. It might just be because I'm not quite used to it yet, but I'm noticeably more sloppy when playing on the gamepad.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It's literally only the World Map, not the one you can run around on, but the Uncharted style map. You can definitely quickly skip past it as soon as it pops up.

But better safe than sorry.

Why do people not want to play with the GamePad? I rather like it. Very comfortable.

Maybe it's my huge hands.

Mainly for me it is the battery life. I can only get about three or so hours before I have to charge it up. Same problem I had with Wind Waker, I loved the menu/map being on the second screen but it limited my play time on the weekends.

sörine

Banned
Maybe if you own no other consoles or a PC there's a lot of great games. If you've been playing games before 2013, the Wii U still only has like 4 good games. And some of them may not be to a person's tastes.
I'd say 4 great exclusive games; NSMBU/NSLU, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and now 3D World. Versus zero exclusive great games on other next-gen consoles so far.

batbeg

sörine;90840539 said:
I'd say 4 great exclusive games; NSMBU/NSLU, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and now 3D World. Versus zero exclusive great games on other next-gen consoles so far.

And of course Zombi U and Nintendo Land, the two showcase titles for the gamepad.

batbeg

Yeah, I hear you there. Of course, if I'm going to go really long, I'll just plug it in while I play. Not ideal, but works okay.

My gamepad died after moving into the living room and leaving my charger someone in world 4 so I've switched to Wiimote and Chuk :cool:

Edit Sorry for dp on mobile

Andrew.

Banned
sörine;90840539 said:

Dont forget Wind Waker HD

Mainly for me it is the battery life. I can only get about three or so hours before I have to charge it up. Same problem I had with Wind Waker, I loved the menu/map being on the second screen but it limited my play time on the weekends.

Just 3 hours?? Dang that's bad. I've got mine on the lowest brightness setting and I get a few more than that.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
And of course Zombi U and Nintendo Land, the two showcase titles for the gamepad.

Don't forget Game and Wario. Doesn't offer much but it's pretty much gamepad only.

That drawing game is so much fun with other people. So is the island game. That said I wouldn't pay $40 for it. Get it for $20 or less like I did.

sörine;90841508 said:
I don't play local multi or survival horror so those two are out for me personally. I could them being up there for those that do however.
Sounds like you've not played nintendoland at all

11redder

sörine;90840539 said:
You forgot ZombiU and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (console exclusive).

Andrew.

Banned
Just had two co workers ask me if this is playable on the regular Wii...

I was like "and here we go...."

Im just gonna assume that a handful of copies are gonna be sold to people who cant differentiate between the systems.

Penguin

Im just gonna assume that a handful of copies are gonna be sold to people who cant differentiate between the systems.

Well, I mean it shows that people are interested in the game. Perhaps enough to get the console...

Though think including 2 Mario games and expecting people to buy a 3rd was a weird business decision.

eXistor

sörine;90840539 said:

Personally I'd count Lego City Undercover and ZombiU amongst those, but they are a bit more rough around the edges.

Schnozberry

I was at my local Gamestop yesterday, and someone was bitching about not being able to play his PS3 GTAV game in his new PS4. A lot of people just don't follow close enough to be informed.

Morokh

I know that I will barely play it because i'm burned-out very fast with platformers these days, but man it looks so good that it is very VERY VERY !!!!! tempting ....

Berordn

I know that I will barely play it because i'm burned-out very fast with platformers these days, but man it looks so good that it is very VERY VERY !!!!! tempting ....

With the exception of Galaxy 1, EAD are masters of pacing. I can pop 3D Land or Galaxy 2 in with the intention of only playing a single level and end up blowing through whole worlds.

You probably won't regret it.

Andrew.

Banned
I was at my local Gamestop yesterday, and someone was bitching about not being able to play his PS3 GTAV game in his new PS4. A lot of people just don't follow close enough to be informed.

Ouch. Sounds like someone got rid of their PS3 stuff assuming 4 was BC. That really bites.

sörine

Banned
Sounds like you've not played nintendoland at all
I have and it's not what I'd consider "great" in single player. It's okay though.

I wish Nintendo would go back and patch in online multiplayer though. Same for Pikmin 3 and the Mario games. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot.

There are so many little details.

Watching Sixfortyfives stream, he's in a dark cave level where you can only see the area immediately around Mario, or lit by fireballs.

He finds a little passage that leads to a tiny room where, apropos of nothing, there's a cool little secret grotto with a green star in the middle of it, some green crystals poking down from about.

No other green crystals in the level. Nintendo was just like "hey, you know what would make this little secret place look cool?"

Madao

oh wow i already beat the game.

it is pretty addictive since i was gonna go to bed but i kept going and going and when i realized, i defeated the final boss.

still haven't unlocked mai waifu.

Man, it's just the little details in this game that are so great. I took a koopa troopas shell and threw it over the cliff. When he watched it happen, he shook his head in disappointment and frustration. Hilarious seeing the enemies having some personality

I genuinely don't want to kill the koopa troopas. I feel like I am taking candy from a kid when I see them desperately chase their shells. I just bypass them.

Andrew.

Banned
cat-soon-meme.jpg

Played it finally, liked the controls about as well as I thought I would have.

Backflip and long jump still whimpy. Spin jump's return was a nice surprise though.

Regiruler

With the exception of Galaxy 1, EAD are masters of pacing. I can pop 3D Land or Galaxy 2 in with the intention of only playing a single level and end up blowing through whole worlds.

I liked Galaxy 1's pacing more from what I remember.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was also incredible. But I feel the same on Galaxy. I actually haven't touched the game since I beat it the first time through back when it first came out. Galaxy 2 on the other hand I've fired up a couple of times. Same with 3D Land.

trilobyte

Got my copy this morning! Just in time for my 2-week vacation :)

I'm hitting my Wii-U backlog right after
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD

All still in their shrink wrap :(

These two alone are so freakin underrated. Then you have MH3U, Lego Cities, and NFS:MWU. Let's not forget about all the fun eShop and Indie games.

You should probably warn others that Lego City is dead simple. I mean brain dead simple. It's coma-inducing at times. But the saving grace is the story, its characters and one or two sections that make for memorable experiences (riding a T-Rex and falling from space). If it's a sandbox playground experience they want, I would go GTAV without question, unless the person is under ten years-old.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was also incredible. But I feel the same on Galaxy. I actually haven't touched the game since I beat it the first time through back when it first came out. Galaxy 2 on the other hand I've fired up a couple of times. Same with 3D Land.
I'm the opposite. I still haven't finished Galaxy 2 but I feel the first is incredible and easily replayable.

Edit: and LCU is still the best Wii U game. I found the difficulty to be just right.

You should probably warn others that Lego City is dead simple. I mean brain dead simple. It's coma-inducing at times. But the saving grace is the story, it's characters and one or two sections that make for memorable experiences (riding a T-Rex and falling from space). If it's a sandbox playground experience they want, I would go GTAV without question, unless the person is under ten years-old.
Yup, great game to play with your kid. But too easy for gaffers. Very charming and funny though.

Top Bottom