• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

I'm the opposite. I still haven't finished Galaxy 2 but I feel the first is incredible and easily replayable.

Edit: and LCU is still the best Wii U game. I found the difficulty to be just right.

Too each his own I suppose, but my wife and I were rolling our eyes through much of it. The tired premise of changing costumes to just hit a switch lost its appeal very early. And after that you're left with a rather shallow experience from start to finish. I did laugh a few times during the cutscenes (and the falling from space music was epic) but it really is a game for kids. Though I'm sure some adults could find it appealing if they've never touched something like GTAV, which is blowing my mind at the moment.

Mariolee

Just had two co workers ask me if this is playable on the regular Wii...

I was like "and here we go...."

Im just gonna assume that a handful of copies are gonna be sold to people who cant differentiate between the systems.

Nintendo sets new record.

More of one specific piece software sold than units of the system it's playable on.

Krabboss

Doesn't the Wii U have like 200 games, plus the backlog of the Wii?
You are saying there are only 4 games worth playing on it? Come on.

Yeah, only 4 are worth playing. The rest are multiplatform, a lot of which are ports of games that came out years ago or are better played on a different platform. If you're looking for a reason to buy a Wii U and you already have a PS3/360/PC there isn't much reason besides the few exclusives.

This part doesn't make sense. Good games are still good games even if you can play them elsewhere.

Not if you've played them already, or you already own a console that can play them and so you wouldn't need to buy a Wii U to play them.

I would have thought this point was FUCKING OBVIOUS OH MY GOD.

sörine;90840539 said:
I'd say 4 great exclusive games; NSMBU/NSLU, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and now 3D World. Versus zero exclusive great games on other next-gen consoles so far.

Yeah, the new consoles aren't very good yet. It's lucky I wasn't saying you should get those instead.

Now, of those exclusives, there's a good chance a person doesn't want to play another NSMB or doesn't like Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101. There's only 4 great exclusives if they're exclusives you want to play.

So when somebody says they want to play SM3DW but aren't sure about buying a Wii U, it's super duper understandable and people who say otherwise are still kidding themselves. The Wii U's library is still not very good. Maybe next year.

You forgot ZombiU and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (console exclusive).

The problem with MH3U is that it isn't that appealing if you've already run MH3 and Portable 3rd dry, like I have. For people who haven't done that, I'd say it's probably the best game on Wii U pre-3D World.

Too each his own I suppose, but my wife and I were rolling our eyes through much of it. The tired premise of changing costumes to just hit a switch lost its appeal very early. And after that you're left with a rather shallow experience from start to finish. I did laugh a few times during the cutscenes (and the falling from space music was epic) but it really is a game for kids. Though I'm sure some adults could find it appealing if they've never touched something like GTAV, which is blowing my mind at the moment.
Yeah I absolutely hate all GTA games. Nothing fun about them at all. LCU is the first open world game I ever bothered to finish.

javac

Went shopping today. Saw loads of 3D World ads on the electric billboard and all the lifts had 3D World ads plastered all over the doors. Strange sightings since I'm in the UK.

Porcile

Went shopping today. Saw loads of 3D World ads on the electric billboard and all the lifts had 3D World ads plastered all over the doors. Strange sightings since I'm in the UK.

They've got to do something. The UK is a hard enough market for Nintendo to crack without the negative Wii U sentiment. I parents are mildly suspicious and a bit weirded out by Mario. He doesn't really fit in with any of our cultural icons.

Exile20

The only 1 star review on Amazon.com

This is the result of what happens when some furry designs a game around a cat fetish
This game is basically just an excuse for some someone with some furry cat fetish to parade around with some sick hybrid of a cat with a plumber to create this cat that runs around with a human face and mustache. This game is simply creepy and offensive.

Not if you've played them already, or you already own a console that can play them and so you wouldn't need to buy a Wii U to play them.

I would have thought this point was FUCKING OBVIOUS OH MY GOD.

A lot of people are sold on gamepad integration, removing unnecessary UI to the pad, off-TV play, even little things like buying for the newest platform it's available on.

Or if you own a 360 and only have 4 games for it and would rather make your purchases on a console you plan on using a lot more in the future. Why have two consoles hooked up if you aren't using both?

Lots of people at GAF are happy with Assassin's Creed, Batman, Call of Duty etc. on Wii U. They're great quality versions of the games and have some nice exclusive features.

Played a little last night, did W-1-1. died. That last little canyon before the flag looked like something i could climb down, ended up being just a cliff, and wall jumping had not registered with me yet. :(

Krabboss

I'm well aware of what your point was meant to be, but that's not actually what you said though is it?

Nope! That's exactly what I said. I said the only way the Wii U would look to have an impressive library is if you've never played those games or don't already have a platform those games are available on.

I also don't understand why you'd say it makes no sense if you were able to understand what my actual point was anyway. That makes no sense.
A lot of people are sold on gamepad integration, removing unnecessary UI to the pad, off-TV play, even little things like buying for the newest platform it's available on.

Or if you own a 360 and only have 4 games for it and would rather make your purchases on a console you plan on using a lot more in the future. Why have two consoles hooked up if you aren't using both?

Lots of people at GAF are happy with Assassin's Creed, Batman, Call of Duty etc. on Wii U. They're great quality versions of the games and have some nice exclusive features.

"A lot of people"

"Lots of people at GAF"

As far as I'm concerned these are people you've pulled squarely from your butt, homie.

Also, my original post was talking about buying a Wii U. A person further up the page said he wants to play 3D World but is unsure about buying a Wii U, to which somebody else responded saying "This doesn't make any sense because the Wii U has a lot of great games!" And, as I said above, that's only a convincing argument if you don't already own a platform those games are on already. Once you've already been convinced a Wii U is worth owning then of course there's no reason to not get multiplat games on it. But if you've not been tipped over the edge, multiplat games are probably not going to be the decider.

Man this is soooooo good. Played for a good two hours last night, and then the kids played a little bit before school today. I can't wait for some co-op action tonight!

Tried it this morning and from just a couple levels it's already exceeded my expectations. I feel like this is going to beat out W101 as my GotY(and this is coming from a guy who played all the major releases this year)

Timeaisis

After playing this for about and hour and a half yesterday (finished World 1, and a few levels of World 2), I can say that that this is the first game in a very, very long time that has actually lived up to it's high review scores -- and I've only just scratched the surface.

Game is incredible.

Played a little last night...
and that cat suit! Most people I know aren't thrilled about wearing a cat suit,however after last night I think even action stars from the 80s would be killing people in order to wear a cat suit. Can't wait to try this with more people.

Tried it this morning and from just a couple levels it's already exceeded my expectations. I feel like this is going to beat out W101 as my GotY(and this is coming from a guy who played all the major releases this year)

Since I'm stuck at work(LOL), how long are the first levels looking? Also, how difficult are you finding them?

Neiteio

Picked up this and Zelda at the Xbone launch last night, HNNNNNNG this Mario is AMAZING! My brother and I wasted half of the clock on one level just practicing the somersault jump, now it's all we do, lol.

I seriously considered throwing myself down the stairs this morning so I could stay home today and play this. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that I may have hurt my playin' hand.

sörine

Banned
Yeah, the new consoles aren't very good yet. It's lucky I wasn't saying you should get those instead.

Now, of those exclusives, there's a good chance a person doesn't want to play another NSMB or doesn't like Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101. There's only 4 great exclusives if they're exclusives you want to play.

So when somebody says they want to play SM3DW but aren't sure about buying a Wii U, it's super duper understandable and people who say otherwise are still kidding themselves. The Wii U's library is still not very good. Maybe next year.
For a year 1 lineup it's not bad is all. An okay smattering of multiplatform games with an above average number of worthwhile exclusives. And sure it largely depends on genre interest, which why I said those four games were great. Because I think they are.

People responded by naming additional exclusives like ZombiU, Nintendo Land and Lego City, which are also generally considered tops in their genres. It's all subjective, just as your own opinion that "U's library is still not very good" is also purely subjective.

Also, my original post was talking about buying a Wii U. A person further up the page said he wants to play 3D World but is unsure about buying a Wii U, to which somebody else responded saying "This doesn't make any sense because the Wii U has a lot of great games!" And, as I said above, that's only a convincing argument if you don't already own a platform those games are on already. Once you've already been convinced a Wii U is worth owning then of course there's no reason to not get multiplat games on it. But if you've not been tipped over the edge, multiplat games are probably not going to be the decider.

And as I said above, it's also a convincing argument if you want the gamepad integration, less UI, the ability to play on the pad, or simply don't want to have the old 360 hooked up anymore.

I mean that's pretty much common sense. These are pretty obviously things that someone might value. Not sure why you would claim that these are things which could never possibly convince a single person.

Gabe3208

Banned
Nope! That's exactly what I said. I said the only way the Wii U would look to have an impressive library is if you've never played those games or don't already have a platform those games are available on.

I also don't understand why you'd say it makes no sense if you were able to understand what my actual point was anyway. That makes no sense.

"A lot of people"

"Lots of people at GAF"

As far as I'm concerned these are people you've pulled squarely from your butt, homie.

I agree, you gotta want the console to go buy it. If your in that "questioning" period, then you probably shouldn't yet. I bought a Wii U because of ZombiU and NSMBU at launch. I also knew that Pikmin 3 and TW101 were coming up the following year so those were all my motivating factors. Now I ALWAYS own 2 consoles because honestly, I enjoy Nintendo exclusives, but at the same time I have to own another console for those games that don't make it on Nintendo's platform. Last gen I went with Sony, however, this gen, I am completely stuck on if I want a PS4 or XboxOne. I WILL be getting one or the other, but just like the poster a few posts back stated, I too am unsure about getting either or because none of the available games or ones announced really make me choose one or the other. I think I will probably make my decision after next year's E3 if they show a bunch of new software. The only next gen game I am currently looking forward to is The Evil Within, and I'm assuming it's coming out on both platforms.

Linkhero1

I was able to pick it up yesterday during the Xbone launch along with Zelda. Surprisingly (or not) there weren't that many people picking up an Xbone. I would like to say there were more people there to pickup Zelda. I only got to play about half an hour worth of the game because I have work early in the morning. In fact, I'm typing from my desk at work right now.

My initial impressions up to 1-5.

I love the cat mechanics in the game. At first I hated jumping around with Cat Mario because I would accidentally tap the action button and Mario would dash off a cliff, but after a bit of running around as Cat Mario you get used to it. So far the levels have seemed pretty short and easy. Then again, I'm only in the beginning of the game and we all know how exponentially difficult Mario games get. Mario is slow and I even forgot that there was a run button. Even with the run button he feels a bit slow. I know they wanted to differentiate between the characters you have the option of choosing and they gave Toad the speed advantage, but it still feels slow. Graphically, I was wow'd. I finally get to play an HD 3D Mario game. Oh, and the world map made me cry tears of joy. Personally, I think it's the best world map out of the past few Mario titles. Fantastic game so far and I barely touched it.

On a side note, is anyone else upset at Nintendo slowly fading manuals out? I know they want to help the environment and all but I love reading them. It upset me and hit me hard when it told me to view the electronic manual in game. :(

Zelda doesn't even come with a manual either :(

Zing

Banned
I just played through World 1.

I don't get the reason for using Mario 3 death music. Why not Mario World?

The game really wants you to use the game pad when playing alone. There are gamepad only levels, and camera controls. I really don't like games that mirror the TV while playing, though. It makes the gamepad seem so useless. There is no need for the analog stick of the gamepad, and the screen has no function, unless you count tapping enemies as useful.

Why can I not use Motion Plus remotes to tilt and look around like the game pad? Why doesn't the sound from the gamepad automatically silence when only using a remote, as with NSMBU? Why does the game make a loud BSSHHHOOOOOMM sound every time I run?

Other than these oddities, I like the game. The catsuit seems to make the platforming very easy, but there are some fun things to find with it. The music is fun, and I love selecting a random character each time.

Any indicator on the world map that I have found the stamp, like how the star appears once you find all three stars?

On a side note, is anyone else upset at Nintendo slowly fading manuals out? I know they want to help the environment and all but I love reading them. It upset me and hit me hard when it told me to view the electronic manual in game. :(

Yeah, manuals are on the way out from all publishers. It's a nice novelty to have but I'm pretty glad that there's that much less paper being used, when they're making it easier to access digital manuals in-game.

Krabboss

sörine;90854054 said:
For a year 1 lineup it's not bad is all. An okay smatteringoif multiplatform games with an above average number of worthwhile exclusives. And sure it largely depends on genre interest, which why I said those four games were great. Because I think they are.

People responded by naming additional exclusives like ZombiU, Nintendo Land and Lego City, which are also generally considered tops in their genres. It's all subjective, just are your own opinion that "U's library is still not very good" is also purely subjective.
Subjective, sure, but only explaining why that one person is unsure about buying a Wii U just for 3D World.

And even if it was good for a year 1 lineup, it's still a year 1 lineup. For some people that's not enough. I'm certainly not going to be touching a PS4 or XB1 for a long-ass time. The only reason I bought my Wii U is because it was insanely cheap, but I at least knew there were games coming for it that I wanted to play so it wasn't so bad.

I don't think anybody has ever called Zombi U, Nintendo Land or Lego City the tops of their genres ever.

And as I said above, it's also a convincing argument if you want the gamepad integration, less UI, the ability to play on the pad, or simply don't want to have the old 360 hooked up anymore.

I mean that's pretty much common sense. These are pretty obviously things that someone might value. Not sure why you would claim that these are things which could never possibly convince a single person.

And as I said above, it's also a convincing argument if you want the gamepad, the gamepad, and the gamepad.
Oh.

I don't know what having the 360 still hooked up has to do with anything. I remind you, in this scenario we're talking about you don't actually own a Wii U yet. Do people really say "I am sick to fucking DEATH of this 360 sitting here, in my lounge room, staring at me and sucking up energy. I can't stand it anymore I need to get this shit UNPLUGGED. I'm going to buy a Wii U right now!"

Timeaisis

A few impressions:

- Cat suit is great, as expected

- The levels feel pretty big comparatively

- The difficulty feels just right (for me). Maybe a little easy but the
green stars
and
stamps
provide a nice extra challenge

- There are lots of secrets on every level, and all of them are a joy to find.

- So after playing the level that introduces
blowing and touching blocks
. I'm actually quite happy with the gamepad intergration. That level was a relaxing change of pace -- kind of puzzle-y and the music was soothing.

- Captain Toad stuff is surprisingly fun. Nice little puzzle change of pace.

- Overall, even though I'm only through W1 and a little through W2, there's already a lot of variety, which is awesome.

- The movement physics I really love
so much better than NSBM floaty physics and wild momentum
. The tiered run is also nice new feature. Seems like a combination of SM3DL and SM64.

Bottom line: buy this game now. And if you don't have a Wii U, buy one to play this game.

Linkhero1

Yeah, manuals are on the way out from all publishers. It's a nice novelty to have but I'm pretty glad that there's that much less paper being used, when they're making it easier to access digital manuals in-game.

That's true. I'm just a bitter since I'm a collector and love having manuals with my games.

Gabe3208

Banned
I was able to pick it up yesterday during the Xbone launch along with Zelda. Surprisingly (or not) there weren't that many people picking up an Xbone. I would like to say there were more people there to pickup Zelda. I only got to play about half an hour worth of the game because I have work early in the morning. In fact, I'm typing from my desk at work right now.

My initial impressions up to 1-5.

I love the cat mechanics in the game. At first I hated jumping around with Cat Mario because I would accidentally tap the action button and Mario would dash off a cliff, but after a bit of running around as Cat Mario you get used to it. So far the levels have seemed pretty short and easy. Then again, I'm only in the beginning of the game and we all know how exponentially difficult Mario games get. Mario is slow and I even forgot that there was a run button. Even with the run button he feels a bit slow. I know they wanted to differentiate between the characters you have the option of choosing and they gave Toad the speed advantage, but it still feels slow. Graphically, I was wow'd. I finally get to play an HD 3D Mario game. Oh, and the world map made me cry tears of joy. Personally, I think it's the best world map out of the past few Mario titles. Fantastic game so far and I barely touched it.

Yea, I loved reading through manuals as a kid. I would go through the whole thing before even beginning the game, lol. But I guess if it saves them money and helps the environment, that's cool. I wish they'd continue on the digital manuals with character bios and stories like how almost EVERY game had back then!

Linkhero1

Yea, I loved reading through manuals as a kid. I would go through the whole thing before even beginning the game, lol. But I guess if it saves them money and helps the environment, that's cool. I wish they'd continue on the digital manuals with character bios and stories like how almost EVERY game had back then!

I'm not sure if I read it correctly because I was half asleep when the message popped up but I think the message said there were secrets in the manual. I could be wrong. I agree. I miss those character Bios and the 2D Art. It's hitting me hard now :(

kunonabi

Are there any good mini games? Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming, and wanted to add to my staple of games.

wii party u and nintendoland are the big two. wii party is better for more casual play while Nintendoland is better suited for more experienced players(still has some great games for everyone though)

Game & Wario is also great but it isn't as well suited for multiplayer since it only has three real standout multiplayer games.

Sanic

This game is really good. Almost done with world 2.

Not a fan of being forced to use the gamepad for captain toad. No point outside of the gimmicky camera controls.

Krabboss

wii party u and nintendoland are the big two. wii party is better for more casual play while Nintendoland is better suited for more experienced players(still has some great games for everyone though)

Game & Wario is also great but it isn't as well suited for multiplayer since it only has three real standout multiplayer games.
They could be talking about minigames inside 3D World too. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure there's nothing but the game itself.

Top Bottom