• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

sörine

Banned
Subjective, sure, but only explaining why that one person is unsure about buying a Wii U just for 3D World.

And even if it was good for a year 1 lineup, it's still a year 1 lineup. For some people that's not enough. I'm certainly not going to be touching a PS4 or XB1 for a long-ass time. The only reason I bought my Wii U is because it was insanely cheap, but I at least knew there were games coming for it that I wanted to play so it wasn't so bad.

I don't think anybody has ever called Zombi U, Nintendo Land or Lego City the tops of their genres ever.
Right, and I was just countering that I feel there's enough already there to make the plunge worth it, even just in terms of exclusives. Particularly for someone interested in Mario games.

And some people really like ZombiU, Nintendo Land and Lego City. Nintendo Land especially, how many better party/minigame titles can you think of?

Gabe3208

Banned
I'm not sure if I read it correctly because I was half asleep when the message popped up but I think the message said there were secrets in the manual. I could be wrong. I agree. I miss those character Bios and the 2D Art. It's hitting me hard now :(

Oh wow! Well that's something at least if that's the case. But yea, I wish they would add pages with things to read just like in the old manuals.

Andrew.

Banned
Just picked up my copy!

...all of them were sitting behind a bunch of Xbox stuff. Couldnt even see them. They werent even prominently out on display =/

Krabboss

sörine;90857483 said:
Right, and I was just countering that I feel there's enough already there to make the plunge worth it, even just in terms of exclusives. Particularly for someone interested in Mario games.

And some people really like ZombiU, Nintendo Land and Lego City. Nintendo Land especially, how many better party/minigame titles can you think of?
Well thank you for your valiant effort in saying the plunge is worth it, because there's far too few of you in threads like these. If we need anything, it's more people telling people the Wii U's really good guys, honest. Whatever I say is subjective tho.

And Fortune Street. Rhythm Heaven Fever. Taiko no Tatsujin.

Fortune Street, man. Fortune Street.

Well I could only afford one today so I took my pre-order money from Zelda and dropped it into 3D world! I figured multi-player over thanksgiving will be more fun.

I can't wait!!

zroid

Banned
50ql.png

biped mode

Zing

Banned
On a side note, is anyone else upset at Nintendo slowly fading manuals out? I know they want to help the environment and all but I love reading them. It upset me and hit me hard when it told me to view the electronic manual in game. :(

Zelda doesn't even come with a manual either :(
I am satisfied that they at least include a full-colour control booklet. So far, all of my Wii U games have had this at minimum, even the third-party games, except for Call of Duty Ghosts.

Zelda didn't come with one because it was primarily aimed for digital release. Did the stand alone Super Luigi U have a paper manual?

Well thank you for your valiant effort in saying the plunge is worth it, because there's far too few of you in threads like these. If we need anything, it's more people telling people the Wii U's really good guys, honest. Whatever I say is subjective tho.

And Fortune Street. Rhythm Heaven Fever. Taiko no Tatsujin.

Fortune Street, man. Fortune Street.

You sound like you don't like "threads like these." Maybe you should take a break for awhile :)

I was able to pick it up yesterday during the Xbone launch along with Zelda. Surprisingly (or not) there weren't that many people picking up an Xbone. I would like to say there were more people there to pickup Zelda. I only got to play about half an hour worth of the game because I have work early in the morning. In fact, I'm typing from my desk at work right now.

My initial impressions up to 1-5.

I love the cat mechanics in the game. At first I hated jumping around with Cat Mario because I would accidentally tap the action button and Mario would dash off a cliff, but after a bit of running around as Cat Mario you get used to it. So far the levels have seemed pretty short and easy. Then again, I'm only in the beginning of the game and we all know how exponentially difficult Mario games get. Mario is slow and I even forgot that there was a run button. Even with the run button he feels a bit slow. I know they wanted to differentiate between the characters you have the option of choosing and they gave Toad the speed advantage, but it still feels slow. Graphically, I was wow'd. I finally get to play an HD 3D Mario game. Oh, and the world map made me cry tears of joy. Personally, I think it's the best world map out of the past few Mario titles. Fantastic game so far and I barely touched it.

On a side note, is anyone else upset at Nintendo slowly fading manuals out? I know they want to help the environment and all but I love reading them. It upset me and hit me hard when it told me to view the electronic manual in game. :(

Zelda doesn't even come with a manual either :(

I just played through World 1.

I don't get the reason for using Mario 3 death music. Why not Mario World?

The game really wants you to use the game pad when playing alone. There are gamepad only levels, and camera controls. I really don't like games that mirror the TV while playing, though. It makes the gamepad seem so useless. There is no need for the analog stick of the gamepad, and the screen has no function, unless you count tapping enemies as useful.

Why can I not use Motion Plus remotes to tilt and look around like the game pad? Why doesn't the sound from the gamepad automatically silence when only using a remote, as with NSMBU? Why does the game make a loud BSSHHHOOOOOMM sound every time I run?

Other than these oddities, I like the game. The catsuit seems to make the platforming very easy, but there are some fun things to find with it. The music is fun, and I love selecting a random character each time.

Any indicator on the world map that I have found the stamp, like how the star appears once you find all three stars?

Humm. I was curious about how the Cat suit really affects the game

Linkhero1

I am satisfied that they at least include a full-colour control booklet. So far, all of my Wii U games have had this at minimum, even the third-party games, except for Call of Duty Ghosts.

Zelda didn't come with one because it was primarily aimed for digital release. Did the stand alone Super Luigi U have a paper manual?

I actually don't remember if Super Luigi U had it. I'm almost sure it did, but it was primarily a digital release as well.

Humm. I was curious about how the Cat suit really affects the game

The cat suit makes it a bit easier to move around. Platforming becomes a lot easier. It increases the speed of the character you're using. One of the best features of the cat suit is that you're able to perform frontal attacks so it makes killing enemies easier. I've only played the first part of the game so I can't say if platforming will be easier with the cat suit in later stages.

gonna pick it up today...will report with disappointment or happiness!

SSB up in this. D: Edit: I saw what you did. You're evil.

Chojin

Yeehaw, got my copy.

Gamestop guy wanted to know why I was getting this and not an Xbone. I said, "What game is better on the xbone right now?"

He said, "Well.. you got a point"

Neiteio

Biggest surprise as of World 3?

PEACH

Seriously, I thought she'd be the least fun to play, since she's the slowest, but there's something very pleasing to the way she shuffles and floats around, and with the roll and somersault jump, she's just as fast as the others. AND SHE'S SO CUTE! Seriously, small Peach and Cat Peach are so... so...

SO CUTE!!!

rawktapus

Biggest surprise as of World 3?

PEACH

Seriously, I thought she'd be the least fun to play, since she's the slowest, but there's something very pleasing to the way she shuffles and floats around, and with the roll and somersault jump, she's just as fast as the others. AND SHE'S SO CUTE! Seriously, small Peach and Cat Peach are so... so...
SO CUTE!!!

Her tanooki suit is to DIE for. Absolutely fabulous.

I also like how when she's chosen for a stage, she sometimes says "its about time! "

With the 30% off coupon, the $5 gift card I had for preordering Pokemon X, and the 5% off with my Red Card, I got this and Zelda for $67.25 at Target. Awesome stuff.

And I'll echo what people have been saying. Peach is awesome to play as.

gogoud

Beat world 1. Great fun. Captured some shots and instagrammed the heck out of them. So good. Love how the character in cat suit walks around like a cat along the world map.

Chucker

Played til 1-4 last night then went to bed. 4.5 hours til quitting time and letting my kid see Cat Mario IRL and she'll L O S E IT.

Timeaisis

Ohy my god Toad in a catsuit is the cutest thing I've seen in a while. I might just use him for that reason alone. I do find myself hitting random character often, though.

Linkhero1

Fuck...

I'm thinking of leaving work early to play Mario. Not sure how yet, but I'm almost sure I want to do this. It's a Friday anyways.

zroid

Banned
I've been sticking to my guns about using only Mario for first time through all the levels, but I accidentally chose Luigi one time and hooooly craaaaaaaaaaaap dat jump

Krabboss

You sound like you don't like "threads like these." Maybe you should take a break for awhile :)

If I was going to take a break from threads like these I'd probably have to take a break from every single video game related website. I'll soldier on, but thanks for the concern.

Besides, my interest in 3D World outweighs what I perceive to be blind adoration for a corporation. I need something to tide me over til it comes out here, which is still 7 days away.

lt519

Played some last night after launch, took about 30 minutes to download and half that to install, but I was playing Resogun while waiting so wasn't paying too much attention.

Played first 4 levels and a toad level before my girlfriend yelled at me for keeping her awake at 2AM haha. Looks beautiful and controls well, the jumps seem a little less strong than a typical 3D Mario but that may because of the more top down isometric view. Planning on some 4-way couch co-op tonight, excited about that!

batbeg

Almost through World 7, all levels beaten except two (Toad houses that I came across during multiplayer) and 160 stars. Unless Zelda blows my gaddang mind I think I've found my GOTY

And if he shows up in that cat suit ?

Ooh, kinky.

Figuring out which control scheme to use is always a challenge. Can you use the Wiimote's pointer for the touch controls of the gamepad?

Don't think I'll be using the gamepad. The placement of the A, X, B, Y buttons is uncomfortable to me. I feel like I have to shift my right hand to get my thumb in a comfortable position.

Neiteio

Her tanooki suit is to DIE for. Absolutely fabulous.

I also like how when she's chosen for a stage, she sometimes says "its about time! "
Yesss, I replayed 3-1 (Snowball Park, I think it's called?) like three times because I couldn't get enough of Peach's Tanooki Suit. Brilliant stuff! And totally different than how they depicted it at the end of 3D Land. :)

Seik

Banned
Fuck Futureshop.

I'm buying my copy later today, I'll exchange the late one I'll get next week. Win-win, because I think I'll go insane if I don't play this tonight, my poor heart is so hyped. D:

Now that I know the game is 720p it all makes sense. Hate on, but I wish instead of a Gamepad I had a box that output this game in 1080p. I love Nintendo and always will and I still think the last console that made sense to me was the Gamecube. Why sacrifice power for a controller two consoles in a row so you go from being the leaders in graphics to last place?

Because, God forbid, they want to do something a bit different. The gamepad can really enhance te experience if utilized properly by games, and on more than one occasion I've used it to play large sections of games when the TV wan't available, etc. The best part about these consoles is that all of them take a slightly different angle. The Wii U clearly has enough power to make gorgeous looking games, a massive step up from the Wii. That's all that matters.

rawktapus

Yesss, I replayed 3-1 (Snowball Park, I think it's called?) like three times because I couldn't get enough of Peach's Tanooki Suit. Brilliant stuff! And totally different than how they depicted it at the end of 3D Land. :)
I find myself replaying a lot of levels for little things like that. I usually hate ghost houses, but the music for them in this game might just be my favorite Mario music of all time, meaning it's getting tons of replay.

Ooh, kinky.

Figuring out which control scheme to use is always a challenge. Can you use the Wiimote's pointer for the touch controls of the gamepad?

Don't think I'll be using the gamepad. The placement of the A, X, B, Y buttons is uncomfortable to me. I feel like I have to shift my right hand to get my thumb in a comfortable position.

I actually had a similar concern regarding the Pro Controller. Does anyone know if X/Run and A/Jump works in this game as it did in NSMBU? I want to use the pro controller, but if I have to stretch my thumb all the way to the Y and B buttons, it just won't be a comfortable option.

RagnarokX

I went digital because I live in California, so I was able to download it at 9PM the night before launch and was playing it before 10 :D

nikos

This game is too good. Has me giggling like a school girl. Definitely not regretting purchasing a Wii U for it. Shame I couldn't transfer my NNID from the last Wii U I had :(

Feel free to add me! NNID is nikostoscani

Chucker

I actually had a similar concern regarding the Pro Controller. Does anyone know if X/Run and A/Jump works in this game as it did in NSMBU? I want to use the pro controller, but if I have to stretch my thumb all the way to the Y and B buttons, it just won't be a comfortable option.

Worked on the Gamepad, I'd assume it does on the pro controller.

Top Bottom