• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Thank God for midnight releases of first-party games on the eShop. Last night my friends and I got to play through about five worlds of this game, and it is just pure brilliance the whole way through. I can understand some not being quite as dazzled by the game as they were by Galaxy, but the crazy inventive level design just gets more hectic and more fun with four players rocking along.

I'm gonna be jumping into single-player soon, but I can already tell this game is something special. Captivated a group of 6 guys in their late-20s/early-30s for about 5 hours straight last night, so I think that bodes well.

I also managed to grab my Zelda 3DS XL from Gamestop at a midnight launch of the Xbone last night, so I have a whole day filled of glory waiting for me.

DashReindeer

This game is too good. Has me giggling like a school girl. Definitely not regretting purchasing a Wii U for it. Shame I couldn't transfer my NNID from the last Wii U I had :(

Feel free to add me! NNID is nikostoscani

Did you try contacting customer support about it? I know some people have successfully done this. I want it to work consistently because I am definitely gonna be buying a new Wii U at some point down the line (hate keeping launch hardware), but I want to be sure my purchases will transfer in that case...

phanphare

Banned
"I got a fever. And the only prescription...is MORE MARIO!"

Walken-Cowbell.jpg

more cat bell

2f00908c7d00601837d4a4d7efab2ef0.jpg

tebunker

Banned
Going digital later today. I love the box arts but I have decided to do digital on all Nintendo published games on WiiU as I always regret trading them in, so I am forcing my hand this time.

Gabe3208

Banned
Today has got to be one of the most memorable days ever with regards to games released!!! I'm waiting for my copies of SM3DW for my Wii U, Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour for my 3DS, and Tearaway for my Vita to be delivered by UPS. HURRY UP!!!

EXCITED ! ! !

excited_face_meme.jpg

sörine

Banned
Well thank you for your valiant effort in saying the plunge is worth it, because there's far too few of you in threads like these. If we need anything, it's more people telling people the Wii U's really good guys, honest. Whatever I say is subjective tho.

And Fortune Street. Rhythm Heaven Fever. Taiko no Tatsujin.

Fortune Street, man. Fortune Street.
Look, I'm not the one who first threw out subjectivity to try and dismiss your argument, in fact that's what you did to me. And you seem to be trying valiantly yourself here, people like you are so exactly more of what we need in these threads. Funny how that works.

Rhythm Heaven and Taiko are rhythym games, Fortune Street is a board game. Not really like Nintendo Land's diverse minigame compilation, RH probably comes closest but still really sits in a different genre. Got anything else?

Went to Gamestop to pick up my copy today.

They kept handing me other Mario games even though I kept asking for 3D World.

Me: Mario.
Clerk: *hands me NSMB2*
Me: No, no, Mario 3D World, for the Wii U.
Clerk: *hands me Mario & Sonic*
Me: No, 3D World.
Clerk: *hands me 3D Land*
Me: No. For the Wii U. It came out today.
Clerk: Oh, that. Do we have that?
Other clerk: Maybe in the back.

They had not yet put it out.

They eventually got me a copy, but goddamn. Wii U's retail situation must be dire if they hadn't even put out Mario yet.

zroid

Banned
So even though I'm generally a fan of the Wiimote/Nunchuk scheme, it just doesn't feel too comfortable here. Can't quite put my finger on why, but I never feel as in control as playing with the GamePad or a Classic Controller. It's probably just due to years of being trained to play such games in a certain way.

chifanpoe

Just picked it up along with the other two good games that dropped today.

Once I get home I will fire up the WiiU and give it a run with my kids, so excited!

What a day - Zelda, Mario, and Tearaway on the same day.

ohlawd

There's no reason for me to use the Pad if I'm not gonna use off tv play, right?

I got a U Pro controller sitting here.

zroid

Banned

They eventually got me a copy, but goddamn. Wii U's retail situation must be dire if they hadn't even put out Mario yet.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me at Best Buy this morning. When I asked for the "new Mario game" they pointed me to NSMBU. When I pointed to the HUGE SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD ADVERTISEMENT hung up right in their own store, they went in the back to look for it, and told me that it's pegged to launch on December 31st. I insisted it came out today, and finally they went back again and got it for me. :\

judhudson

I just picked up my copy of Super Mario 3D World + Wind Waker...and it came out to $67, woo! Thank goodness for deals and gift cards.

Sad thing is, I don't even have a WiiU yet. Hoping to pick one up tonight.

Neiteio

Happy to report you can toggle on/off the online functionality on a feature-by-feature basis. Most of the time I'll have it all on (Miiverse and Ghost Mii), but sometimes I'll turn off Ghost Mii, one example being the second castle, an auto-scrolling corridor level that becomes extremely chaotic when you have Miis running every which way, lol.

nikos

Did you try contacting customer support about it? I know some people have successfully done this. I want it to work consistently because I am definitely gonna be buying a new Wii U at some point down the line (hate keeping launch hardware), but I want to be sure my purchases will transfer in that case...

I considered it but didn't think it was worth the effort. I only purchased one downloadable game at the time.

EDIT: Looks like I'm going to have to contact support because my club nintendo is linked to the old ID.

yeah the dude at my gamestop handed me 3D land and NSMB2 before he finnaly got it right.

like WTF.

Neiteio

There's no reason for me to use the Pad if I'm not gonna use off tv play, right?

I got a U Pro controller sitting here.
I'm at World 3 now. There was one level, Puffrod Peaks, which involved tapping blocks on the touchscreen to make them emerge from the walls as platforms, and blowing into the microphone to propel fan-based platforms. I'm not sure how these would work without the GamePad.

Other than that, you should be fine with a Pro Controller. The GamePad's functionality basically boils down to:

- Off-TV Play (optional)
- Exposing hidden coins and blocks (optional, and can be found manually)
- Gyro camera control (also optional -- you can use the right stick)
- Miiverse posting (optional)

DashReindeer

That's kind of crazy, and is likely due to bad management at that store. The store I went to last night to pick up my Zelda 3DS XL had all the employees wearing the cat ears, with all of the recent Wii U and 3DS games prominently displayed and all organized. This stood out to me because I thought a Nintendo rep had likely come in and whipped them into shape, as the situation just two weeks ago was completely different. Boxes stacked up in front of the Wii U shelving, demo unit turned off, no games on display, etc.

I had thought Nintendo was getting their act together on the retail front, but maybe it was just due to the strict-ass, no-nonsense manager they have at that store.

You shoulda asked the guy why he wasn't wearing his ears...

D-e-f-

Banned

Is there only "too cool for Nintendo" assholes working at Gamestops? Seriously, how can they not even KNOW what 3D World is when you're specifically asking for it. On its god damn release day!

chifanpoe

The Gamestop I went to in St Louis did that to me with Both Zelda and Mario. 3D land and Ocarina the first attempts. They had no idea what Tearaway was. Took about 23 minutes then I finally had all 3 in hand.

I also did not see any Cat Ears being worn.

ohlawd

You need it for some things.

I'm at World 3 now. There was one level, Puffrod Peaks, which involved tapping blocks on the touchscreen to make them emerge from the walls as platforms, and blowing into the microphone to propel fan-based platforms. I'm not sure how these would work without the GamePad.

Other than that, you should be fine with a Pro Controller. The GamePad's functionality basically boils down to:

- Off-TV Play (optional)
- Exposing hidden coins and blocks (optional, and can be found manually)
- Gyro camera control (also optional -- you can use the right stick)
- Miiverse posting (optional)
Thanks.

I'll use the Pro controller for now and see how it goes with the touchscreen and mic stuff.

Neiteio

To correct myself earlier, the level with the touch and mic is Puffprod Peaks, not Puffrod Peaks.

I really dig how they named the levels this time around. Does a great deal to create a sense of place.

Conezays

Just beat World 2 with all green stars and stamps. Seems like a great game, will be fun to try it out with friends. I'm not sure I'm not the only one who's a *bit* underwhelmed given how amazing Galaxy 2 was, but nonetheless, it's a great game and looks fantastic.

To correct myself earlier, the level with the touch and mic is Puffprod Peaks, not Puffrod Peaks.

I really dig how they named the levels this time around. Does a great deal to create a sense of place.

Just beat that level, without a doubt my favorite level so far. Loved the music of that stage.

Is there only "too cool for Nintendo" assholes working at Gamestops? Seriously, how can they not even KNOW what 3D World is when you're specifically asking for it. On its god damn release day!

A few months ago, I was with my friend preordering WWHD and the guy seriously asked my friend if that was on PlayStation.

Just finished World 1 collecting everything. Nothing to crazy thus far, though thats to be expected. I definitely breathed a sigh of relief that the game doesn't control like ass as 3D Land did. My only complaint is the long jump. Pretty fun so far though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The Gamestop I went to in St Louis did that to me with Both Zelda and Mario. 3D land and Ocarina the first attempts. They had no idea what Tearaway was. Took about 23 minutes then I finally had all 3 in hand.

I also did not see any Cat Ears being worn.

Thank god for digital. I'm never going to a Gamestop again for the rest of my life.

roknin

OMG Fire Peach is so sexay

Ninty... Ninty you realize that you can never go back to Mario just having Mario selectable ever again, right? RIGHT?!

Also gawwdamn when people were saying Toad runs fast they were not playing around. That mofo actually gets hard to control when he hits second gear lol.

And there are sooooooo many touches, little touches everywhere. And 8-bit Luigis too.

This game man. It's like if Awesome and Awesome had a baby, sent it off to awesome school and it graduate awesome college... I know that doesn't make a lick of sense but I don't know if I can form coherent words to describe how awesome this game is. Not even trying to be a salesman or pitch it, its just beautiful. Kept having dumbass grins on my face with every level.

Felt like a kid again, until I remembered I had to work today lol.

Can't wait until I'm off and get my other stuff done. I'll be playing this game all freaking night/morning.

Neiteio

I spotted a tiny NES Luigi Sprite as one of the particle effects when I popped out a platform in Puffprod Peaks, lol. I had to keep tapping the platform to replicate the effect and make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Neiteio

This game man. It's like if Awesome and Awesome had a baby, sent it off to awesome school and it graduate awesome college... I know that doesn't make a lick of sense but I don't know if I can form coherent words to describe how awesome this game is.
Yeah, but Awesome said she doesn't want to have kids, and Awesome would be a terrible father, anyways. Also, you know how high tuition is at Awesome College these days??

JonTronSheit.gif

roknin

I should shamefully add to my above post that I (unintentionally, due to money woes) skipped Galaxy 2. Perhaps that's coloring my hype.

I spotted a tiny NES Luigi Sprite as one of the particle effects when I popped out a platform in Puffprod Peaks, lol. I had to keep tapping the platform to replicate the effect and make sure I wasn't seeing things.

LOL, yeah, I think I saw that one. For me, one popped out of a "?" block for me somewhere in world 3, I think. Had to keep my "what the hell" quiet so as not to disturb my roommate at 2am lol.

EDIT:

Yeah, but Awesome said she doesn't want to have kids, and Awesome would be a terrible father, anyways. Also, you know how high tuition is at Awesome College these days??

JonTronSheit.gif

But Awesome could get an Awesome scholarship!

...and then proceed to get put on Awesome probation for being at too many of those Awesome keggers.

damn.gif

OryoN

Not originally my idea, but I just had to try it!
wiiu_screenshot_tv_015soyq.jpg

The extra lives will come in handy cause I'll be 'fooling around' and experimenting a lot.

Some quick impressions:

- I love how non-linear the level design is. So many ways to get to the end. Galaxy's levels were completely linear, so this feels so refreshing. I love exploring!

- The game is gorgeous.

- I died a few times because I kept on trying to do the spin attack Mario has in Galaxy. :/

- I like that power-ups are really power-ups rather than something you need to get to the end of the level as in Galaxy. Though I'm unsure if keeping one power-up in reserve is a little cheap.

- I hate how slow Mario runs.

mr.beers

Game is amazing and beautiful. Played up to world 3 and it seems to fix all the issues I had with 3d land. Playing with the pro controller and I think it's perfect.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Worlds 1-8 100%ed. Playtime <12 hours. EDIT: 2 shiny stars on my save file.

So can somebody clarify for me whether you actually do get something for touching all of the flag poles as every individual character or not?

She's probably referring to how it takes 1.5 seconds to go from "first gear" to "second gear." Takes some adjusting.

I meant his base speed, sorry. Wasn't being clear. I'm so used to how fast his base speed is in Galaxy that it's just a little jarring. I'll get used to it, but I wish I didn't have to hold down a button to make him run fast.

Top Bottom