• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

andymcc

Banned
The Gamestop I went to in St Louis did that to me with Both Zelda and Mario. 3D land and Ocarina the first attempts. They had no idea what Tearaway was. Took about 23 minutes then I finally had all 3 in hand.

I also did not see any Cat Ears being worn.

Some new guy tried to hand me Mario Party whatever last night instead of 3d World and the manager, without looking at my pre-order on the screen was like, "uh, I doubt he wants that. go get 3d World out of the back."

it was sorta funny.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Worlds 1-8 100%ed. Playtime <12 hours.

So can somebody clarify for me whether you actually do get something for touching all of the flag poles as every individual character or not?
Read this:

Final count of all content, including post game. Don't click if you don't want it spoiling.

380 green stars

85 stamps

92 golden flagpoles

4 post-game worlds (Star, Mushroom, Fire Flower and Crown) on top of the eight regular ones

1 extra playable character (Rosalina)

Of those 85 stamps, you can only collect 80 by actually finding them in the levels. The last five are earned by completing every level in the game with all five characters (including those dreaded Champion Road and Mystery House Marathon levels, fucking hell). You get a special sticker for every character you've completed all levels with. I don't think I'm going to collect the last four stickers, as I don't think I'll be arsed to complete the Mystery House Marathon with Luigi, Peach, Toad and Rosalina. Life's too short.

EDIT: Luckily, in every level, you only have to collect the green stars, sticker and flagpole top *once*, regardless of the character you're playing with. In other words, if you *are* going for those last few stickers, you can just speedrun the levels with the other characters.

Raw64life

Picked this up at Best Buy during my break. It wasn't in the Wii U section. Snooped around the gaming area and eventually found a cardboard box with some of them laying out a couple of rows down. I waved down a guy who told me I can grab it.

Neiteio

I meant his base speed, sorry. Wasn't being clear. I'm so used to how fast his base speed is in Galaxy that it's just a little jarring. I'll get used to it, but I wish I didn't have to hold down a button to make him run fast.
Ah, OK. :) Did you play 3D Land? I'm not sure if Mario was faster/slower there, but it also required a run button, even though it's a 3D platformer. I think they do this so you can play with the D-Pad, if you wish. They're trying to attract the NSMB audience.

Andrew.

Banned
I don't know if Mario is advanced enough to activate second gear without causing tremendous harm to his body. Plus, no devil fruit powers, so....

Ive never been able to drive manual Mario too well. Like Dax, I prefer automatic transmission Mario.

*I came home on my break and popped the game in for about five minutes. So far from what I saw everything is fucking spectacular, but yeah that running acceleration is gonna take me a bit to get accustomed to.

Ah, OK. :) Did you play 3D Land? I'm not sure if Mario was faster/slower there, but it also required a run button, even though it's a 3D platformer. I think they do this so you can play with the D-Pad, if you wish. They're trying to attract the NSMB audience.

Nah, don't have a 3DS. I only heavily started paying attention to 3D World until the week it released. I almost missed this gem!

I love how everything seems to pop with a certain personality. The grass looks so fuzzy and green, clouds look so fluffy and white... I'm enjoying World 1 a lot more than the first worlds in both Galaxy games. Gah, I'm in love!

llamarawk

Not originally my idea, but I just had to try it!
wiiu_screenshot_tv_015soyq.jpg

The extra lives will come in handy cause I'll be 'fooling around' and experimenting a lot.

I was rocking that too. Awesome

Posted on the next gen screenshot thread

About to start folks!!! Nothing like working from home!!!

CTyHzkc.jpg

I am going to be very productive today!!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Also, do you get penalized for seeing the shame blocks in this game? I've been soft-resetting whenever they show up out of paranoia.

Haven't had to do it too much, save for world 8-7 (I think). That one fucked me up something fierce, lol.

Game is wonderful, great music, art, level design, secrets, only bad thing is the button combination to throw other players, if someone has a fire flower do not step near them!

OryoN

I couldn't get it to work...just like in the original SMB :-

It's a little tricky regardless, but this helps me:

Find a space that's narrow enough, of course.
*Start with a power-up, just in case.(I actually had the fire flower b4 taking a hit)
Position yourself in the middle of the space b4 throwing the shell.

I don't have the initial jump perfectly timed yet, so it's a bit of trial & error. Having a power-up gives you a few seconds to get the jump timed properly, since you'll be invincible for a moment after taking a hit. I barely explored the level(was messing around for about an hour late lastnight, or early this morning rather) so maybe there a much better location - in this stage - to try it. Keep trying, you'll get it!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Whoa whoa whoa does Twitch stream at 60 FPS? This is the smoothest thing I have ever seen in my life.
Yeah. My computer isn't beefy enough to do 60fps and high-quality local recording simultaneously though, so I usually settle on 30. Going 60 for this game though.

So far I think Luigi is my favorite cause he jumps so damn high. Glad Nintendo did Luigi right during his year.
Yeah, he really doesn't have a drawback. His poor traction doesn't come into play as much here as it does in the 2D games.

llamarawk

It's a little tricky regardless, but this helps me:

Find a space that's narrow enough, of course.
*Start with a power-up, just in case.(I actually had the fire flower b4 taking a hit)
Position yourself in the middle of the space b4 throwing the shell.

I don't have the initial jump perfectly timed yet, so it's a bit of trial & error. Having a power-up gives you a few seconds to get the jump timed properly, since you'll be invincible for a moment after taking a hit. I barely explored the level(was messing around for about an hour late lastnight, or early this morning rather) so maybe there a much better location - in this stage - to try it. Keep trying, you'll get it!

Thats the location I used too and good advice. I'd also say to face the wall (be perpendicular to the wall). I also short hopped it but not sure if that's better or not.

D-e-f-

Banned
A few months ago, I was with my friend preordering WWHD and the guy seriously asked my friend if that was on PlayStation.

Is there something like a citizen's arrest for retail? Like a customer's suspension that gets the person fired or sent to do some god damn research? lol

Seriously, if you work at gamestop you should know your way around video games and at least be familiar with the basics.

Downhome

I just went to Best Buy just to check out what was going on with the Xbone and Mario and Zelda. They had a huge stack of those fake Xbone boxes and multiple people were walking up to them, then getting pissed off. So stupid of Best Buy to do that like that. It looked perfectly like they had it in stock.

I then asked about Mario. The guy working games had NO clue what I was talking about. He handed me multiple other games, like the guy that previously mentioned someone in GameStop did. They didn't have a tag out for it, no display, nothing. He said he had never heard of it before, that they didn't get it, and that they wouldn't be carrying it.

Same story with Zelda. No clue, tried to hand me multiple games, including Wind Waker, and he said the same crap about it. Also, same with no tag, no display, nothing at all.

I had him look up both in the system and yeah, they had like 30 copies of Zelda and 20 copies of Mario. He was just oh, ok, that's news to me. He said it was his department and it's his job to take care of everything back there and that he was going to get around to sorting everything out and he guessed put those two new games out at some point today. I felt like telling him to get off his lazy fat ass and get to work. Best Buy has the biggest morons working for them, it's ridiculous. Every time I go there, every time, I deal with pure idiocy. Don't get me started on my experience after that, but that's for another thread.

Tunic

This game is so good! Enjoyed playing last night with the digital release. Unfortunately I just had enough time to beat World 1. The game is absolutely beautiful and a joy to play. Will continue to enjoy the game once work is out of the way.

Yeah. My computer isn't beefy enough to do 60fps and high-quality local recording simultaneously though, so I usually settle on 30. Going 60 for this game though.

Yeah, he really doesn't have a drawback. His poor traction doesn't come into play as much here as it does in the 2D games.

Year of Luigi indeed!

The music, the music, the music

everything in this game is so polished, so many details, amazing

I am just in world 1, I am 8 years old again, can't take the smile out of my face.

Nah, don't have a 3DS. I only heavily started paying attention to 3D World until the week it released. I almost missed this gem!

I love how everything seems to pop with a certain personality. The grass looks so fuzzy and green, clouds look so fluffy and white... I'm enjoying World 1 a lot more than the first worlds in both Galaxy games. Gah, I'm in love!

you should got a 3DS then :p

Linkhero1

D: D: D:
Do you not like fun? How dare you!
It's a love/hate relationship.
I strongly dislike cats. I squint a little bit and pretend its a dog power up.

It's not the power up but hearing Charles Martinet creeps me out.

I love the invisible secrets in levels that appear out of nowhere when you randomly bump into them.

I had this happen a lot. I don't know if it's because I suck at controlling Cat Mario or because I'm that damn good. It's probably the former.

Top Bottom