• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

6-2 (I think?) with the
sunken ghost ships
doesn't even feel like it's supposed to be in this game. The look of the level + the music + the weather are reminiscent of an indy "art" platformer. I wish Ninty would dip into that territory more often.

Also happy that the levels started providing more of a challenge, at least when going for the stars + stamps.

The most impressive part of this game is its willingness to throw stage gimmicks and level design at you only once, MAYBE twice, and never to be seen again. I still feel that some of the stages end RIGHT as you're getting into a good groove, but the sheer number of STUFF coming at you in a 1 hour session, especially when one of the level collectables requires some effort, is pretty nuts. Picking a random character doubles that feeling because you're never quite sure what's about to happen, and whether or not a character "works" for the stage. I especially love the Mystery Houses as they have a frantic pace and every new "screen" is a surprise.

El Odio

Banned
So has anyone found out what makes the golden train respawn? I've encountered it twice and have no idea what brings it back.

rawktapus

I really love this level, a snow-filled graveyard that also houses a poisonous swamp with a noxious purple fog. Very eerie and somber.
ih2t24di7Pjv1.jpg

hwy_61

Banned
I have no idea how Nintendo does it. After all these years, and after all the annoyances about this fucking company that would cause anyone to abandon them, They're the only ones who can get me to grin stupidly from ear to ear.

Bravo, you sons of bitches from Tokyo.

This game is so good, I can't get over it.

If they decide to do a sequel to this instead of Galaxy 3/a "traditional" 3D Mario game I won't even be mad.

*bow* EAD Tokyo *bow*

Beats

Not sure if this is old, but I just found out from messing around. If you do a cat dive then cat slash just slightly before you hit the ground you can cancel the landing lag of the dive and get a sort of roll that pushes you forward a bit.

Have any rips appeared of (final world spoiler fyi)
The Great Tower of Bowser
I cannot for the life of me get that song out of my head and keep rewatching youtube playthroughs of the level

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone notice that the cannonballs that you can shoot with the cannon block power-up actually do harm your co-op partners? Those levels are going to be chaos in 4P.

Anyway, I'm completely and truly 100% finished with the game now. Clocked in at a little under 30 hours all told, but that includes a lot of idle time for lunch breaks and such.

A few end-game pics:

- 5 shiny stars on the save file
- complete stamp collection
- progress screen for the final world

And a few notes:

- If you *use* a shame block (e.g. White Tanooki Suit), you are prevented from ever getting shiny stars on your save file. If you simply *see* it and don't touch it, though, you're fine.

- You get a bonus stamp for each character by completing every single stage in the game with that character. The game keeps track of which stages have been cleared by which characters from the very beginning, but it doesn't reveal this to you until well into the post-game. You do not get anything extra once you go through this for every character; all you get are the stamps. You can cheat the system by having a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th character join in once you reach the end of a stage. All that you need to get a stage marked as "completed" for a character is to have that character touch the flag pole (or simply be present at the end of a stage when there is no flag pole).

Stream archive here, in 4 parts. I'll try and dig this out for a 4-player stream over Christmas week if I can arrange it.

This game is so good, I can't get over it.

If they decide to do a sequel to this instead of Galaxy 3/a "traditional" 3D Mario game I won't even be mad.

*bow* EAD Tokyo *bow*
I've already seen enough in this game to want a Galaxy/Mario 64 successor. And I've seen enough to know they want to make one!

Odrion

Banned
If there's something I'm going to be a whiny little idiot about, it's that I wish the levels were more thematically related to the worlds they belong to.

There's only like, one
level related to the carnival theme. I WANTED AN ENTIRE LEVELSET OF CARNIVAL THEMED LEVELS.
Also a water level in a fire world?!

I'm convinced that ever since Galaxy 2 they just design whatever comes to mind and then arranges them from order of difficulty.

hwy_61

Banned
I honestly thought the cat suit was going to be tacky as hell, but goddamn it, man. I laugh every single time Luigi goes, "MEOWWWW"

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If there's something I'm going to be a whiny little idiot about, it's that I wish the levels were more thematically related to the worlds they belong to.

I'm convinced that ever since Galaxy 2 they just design whatever comes to mind and then arranges them from order of difficulty.
It's not that whiny. One of the most frustrating things about 3D Land was wanting to pick up the game for a quick run through some specific stages, only to not have a clue where that stage was because there's no correlation to the world that it's in.

Seems like 8bit Luigi easter eggs are everywhere - this one freaked me the hell out, though

tKR18MW.jpg

He ends up "drowning" as well - dude can't catch a break, even in this, the year of Luigi

Odrion

Banned
It's not that whiny. One of the most frustrating things about 3D Land was wanting to pick up the game for a quick run through some specific stages, only to not have a clue where that stage was because there's no correlation to the world that it's in.
The trick is to 100% 3D Land three times. You'll remember then!

The best 8 bit Luigi appearance has been him running on the tracks when you get on the front of the train in that castle level. It's awesome how much Luigi is on the game!

- If you *use* a shame block (e.g. White Tanooki Suit), you are prevented from ever getting shiny stars on your save file. If you simply *see* it and don't touch it, though, you're fine.

Awww WTF

I accidentally popped one open because it was in my path on a narrow level. I immediately seppuku'd through, because I brought shame upon my family by using it (even accidentally), thinking that would restore my honor. Now you tell me I WILL NEVER BE RID OF THIS MARK?

WHY ME.......WHY ME......WHYYYYYYYYYYY MEEEEEEEEEEE

Lumyst

I've already seen enough in this game to want a Galaxy/Mario 64 successor. And I've seen enough to know they want to make one!

Heh, now I understand that game journalist who wanted Nintendo to make another single player Mario adventure. 3D World shows how wonderful their imagination can be, even in the constraints of a modular style and levels governed by the hesitancy of the timer. If they go for freeform 3D again and expand on ideas without the limits of time or space, and add some snazzy graphical effects, it should be a sight to behold.

I actually really like the "modular" look to this game, the way that things have textures like wood and stone, for a "built by a craftsman" appearance despite the surreal nature of what was built. Like a toyset or a playground built piece by piece. Those bouncy cushions look like they were ordered from a catalog and placed piece by piece.

This thread is making me so jelly I had got Zelda instead but trust me im gonna make sure I get this before thanksgiving so I can take it over my grandmas and play with everyone :)

linko9

Man... this game is great. 4 starts and 2 stamps that I can't find, and then I assume something dope will happen. I just love the music. That smooth saxophone remix that plays on some of the beach levels is the greatest. Just everything about the game is so polished, I haven't felt like anything is "misplaced" at all in the level design. I'm personally a mario 64 guy, but this game is by far the best one yet at capturing the feel of the 2d mario games in 3d, without just feeling like a sidescroller.

Also, Toad 4 lyfe. Only even touched the other characters for their required switches, and was disgusted by their sloth. No one can hold a candle to the toadman.

Odrion

Banned
Heh, now I understand that game journalist who wanted Nintendo to make another single player Mario adventure. 3D World shows how wonderful their imagination can be, even in the constraints of a modular style and levels governed by the hesitancy of the timer. If they go for freeform 3D again and expand on ideas without the limits of time or space, and add some snazzy graphical effects, it should be a sight to behold.

I actually really like the "modular" look to this game, the way that things have textures like wood and stone, for a "built by a craftsman" appearance despite the surreal nature of what was built. Like a toyset or a playground built piece by piece. Those bouncy cushions look like they were ordered from a catalog and placed piece by piece.
Yeah, you do notice them flex their creativity from time to time, especially near the end of the normal game. In the water level on world 7, there's a moment in the middle where you exit one segment via pipe and you're back on dry land for just a moment. You look at the lava in the background and you see that the level DOES INDEED exist in the fire world, and then you walk across a swallow pool with tadpoles skittering about to go through another pipe leading to the next half of the water level. That small little moment felt kinda neat and magical.

Fuck, I accidentally hit a Shame Block open too but didn't USE it. Am I screwed? I'm early enough in the game that I can just start over if hats the case, I want those shiny stars goddamnit.

entremet

Who is everyone's rocking? Mario? Toad?

I've been doing a rotation, keeping it fresh, but Mario and Peach get most of the love. Toad is really fun though. Dat foot speed.

Javier

HOLY SHIT THAT FINAL BOWSER BATTLE

Nintendo set a huge bar with the final boss battles in the Galaxy games, but they outdid themselves AGAIN. That was so amazingly epic.

hwy_61

Banned
Who is everyone's rocking? Mario? Toad?

I've been doing a rotation, keeping it fresh, but Mario and Peach get most of the love. Toad is really fun though. Dat foot speed.

I do random, but I gravitate towards Luigi, just because his goofy ass cracks me up.

Top Bottom