• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Davey Cakes

Two worlds in. Some of the stage gimmicks have been great so far. Puffprod Peaks (W2-2) was fun. I've been playing as Luigi mostly. It feels like Luigi+Cat Powerup is overpowered.

The game feels really smooth to control and the run speed is perfect.

Graphics are nice. Very clean and colorful. Just the definition of "simply appealing."

Soundtrack is stellar.

Oh, and the Double Cherry is badass.

Mik317

I actually found Luigi to be pretty meh. it seems like his jump lacks range or something as I would miss flagpoles with him all the time. Toad is too damn fast at times (also dat voice is the worst). Mario is fine but his jump is nerfed in comparison to Luigi.

Peach is hax.

I absolutely love Plessie. I thought the Plessie levels look really cool, and I even liked the Captain Toad levels. I hope they do more with these characters.

Looking at the playthroughs, my favorite levels so far are the
level with the poison gas coming at you from above after getting all the keys. Another favorite of mine was in world 8, when you are on the block with the smiley face, and it keeps rolling, and you have to keep from falling off. I really like that level.

Anyway, seems like cool game. I just wish that they would put this same amount of creativity and attention to detail in 2d Mario. Really a shame.

Cool game though. Eagerly awaiting an upload of the soundtrack!

Malus

Anyway, seems like cool game. I just wish that they would put this same amount of creativity and attention to detail in 2d Mario. Really a shame.

So long as Tokyo EAD isn't making 2D mario, that's probably not going to happen. Just increasing the budget for audio/visual presentation would go a long way though.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought the sense of speed on the first Plessie level was cool.

I tried changing the WiiU output setting to 720p instead of 1080p, but either way the screenshot looks exactly the same. I tried emailing it to myself this time. Here is the result:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01fasyu.jpg

Since everything besides Miiverse seems to be exactly the same, I'm going to guess I'm getting the best quality I can, and I just need to choose good angles. :p Time for world 2!

Linkhero1

One thing I love about this game is the diversity among the stages on each map. I'm glad that not everything is theme based like in the NSMB series. Feels so refreshing to go from a world themed stage to something that has nothing to do with the world theme.

This level!

I died so many times sliding down the blocks, even with 5 shadow clones.

When I first saw the game announced in a nintendo direct, I was extremely dissapointed that THIS would be the next 3D Mario....

I actually bought it yesterday after having seen more footage...

This game is quite awesome actually. Games like that make me happy for owning a Wii U :)

ohlawd

Beat the game hours ago. Just doing a little housekeeping now with the stamps and green stars. I have NO idea where some of these are tho.

After seeing the credits, I don't really know except fuck the planet we live on. This game deserves to sell well and it won't, it's not gonna sell as well as it should. Everytime I unlocked a new world and the little Spritxie or whatever they are would fly to the center of the screen, shake their little wrenches to create a new pipe iunno man this sudden wave of sadness just hits me.

damn I'm high.

Neiteio

If it's 6-3 Hands-on Hall you're talking about.
Spiked logs show the way
Ah, unfortunately I've lost dominion of the TV at the moment, but next time I play, I will try
walking toward the screen in the bit with the three green fellows throwing spiked logs at the screen
. I also need to revisit 6-Castle to get the stamp, which is presumably
behind the bomb-able wall at the end

zroid

Banned
goddammit way to post that image above of the
'other world'

guess i'm not coming back to this thread. Sigh.

i know mang

i think tonight i need to get through this game. i'll stop trying to 100% everything before moving on; if i don't pick up the pace, i'm going to get spoiled. I also really want to watch the giant bomb quick look... and i know they show post-game content, so...

Lumyst

Oh my...just finished Big Bounce Byway...it's like I'm a kid again :-O I actually had to just stop playing, put down the pad and take it in.

Seriously, it's like a giant pristine playground filled with inflatable matresses to bounce on, and in the distance you see...MORE things to bounce on!!!! And Peach is just screaming "yeah! woohoo!" like a kid all the way through. When I see the graphical techniques used to, as I said, "Dazzle" the player...all three of the current gen consoles are going to be capable of gorgeous and stunning games going forth, it makes my mouth water. It will be up to the content creators to skillfully select and use the tools in their arsenals accordingly to draw out the best in their games.

Now I'm starting to appreciate the capability of video games as a medium more; sure we may fret about the technical side of these machines, but that technical side ultimately exists as a means to take a creator's imagination and bring it to life in the form of movement, sound and imagery for our enjoyment. That imagination is unique to each and every creator out there.

Glass Joe

There's a whole other world?!

*%&#(@*($@&!

Wait, what am I complaining about? More levels! Looks like I'll be finishing this tomorrow.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_017sd7z.jpg

Looking forward to it. :)

I was shocked to find out the image we were all gushing about is actually an
overworld map
. And the music there is just amazing.

JakeD

i find myself blowing on my controller all the time, just checking to see if anything happens. i've blown torches out, snow off trees, got lanterns swinging, etc. why is it so fun

braves01

Banned
It's a shame the camera is still so shitty in places. Level
Bowser-7 with the spinning cubes
was pretty frustrating because of it, and the lack of depth without the 3D really hurt. I guess it's just a fundamental flaw of how they've chosen to design the 3D Land/World games.

Super Mario 3D World Impressions:

Super Mario Bros 3 represents an end-point for the classic Mario platformer mold. A fully-formed package of sharp level design and well-tuned play controls in a compact package, it must have left Nintendo in a odd predicament. How do you follow up something that feels like the culmination of the series? "By going bigger!", apparently, as Super Mario World sacrificed the tight play controls and level structure for larger spaces to accommodate aimless keyhunts, and with a hilariously overpowered Cape in tow. Super Mario 64 continued this new style, giving you large playspaces to explore, with the occasional SMB3-esque obstacle course in the Bowser levels.

Super Mario 3D World, then, is the alternate universe sequel to SMB3. Instead of abandoning the focused platforming game design of SMB3, Nintendo built on it, bringing its spirit into the 3rd dimension.

Like SMB3, SM3DW is filled with over a hundred short, clever levels, each one often revolving around a new gimmick or idea. The levels are separated into "worlds" with overarching comforting "themes", but I put those into quotations because they don't really matter. As if EAD Tokyo had a kind of game developer ADHD and soon as they pick something up, they're off to the next wacky thing. The level of creativity on display is staggering; one level has you infiltrating a Japanese pagoda fortress, complete with Goomba disguise. Another, a top-down segment where you utilize your fireballs in Zelda-esque puzzles(and its a nice showcase for the fantastic lighting system). The next one, you're zipping around skinny pathways narrowly dodging spike logs with honed precision, and then the next one have you exploring a sprawling savana, running after SM64's bunnies and wishing there was more time on the clock. Like the Angry Sun and Kuribo's Shoe from SMB3, there are so many ideas here that you'll see once, maybe twice, then never again.

One of my favorite of these new additions is the Double Cherry, a SMB2 reference in aesthetic if not in function. Grab one, Mario gets a clone, one that's controlled with the exact same controls as the original. You can have three, four, five or more Marios all running along, throwing out that much more firepower and covering that much more ground for collectibles. Some of the secrets of these levels only open up with a minimum amount of Marios, so its a fun challenge trying to get all of yourselves to the finish line.

Another big favorite is the much hyped Cat Suit, which may just be my new favorite Mario power-up. Nintendo's track record on new power-ups for our favorite plumber isn't that great; sometimes they're TOO good like the Cape in SMW, sometimes they just kinda stink like Bee Mario's lack of offensive abilities or Tiny Mario being effectively a power-down. Cat Suit Mario is not only stupidly adorable, he makes you feel powerful without breaking the entire level. He can climb up vertical walls, but only for a certain amount of time, and he's got a great dive attack, but you can only do it once without touching the ground. Like the best power-ups, it opens up new areas and gives you an advantage against certain enemies, but it doesn't completely trivialize the game, and it stinks when you lose it.

Even ideas that aren't "new" to the franchise are used to excellent effect. The Giant Mushroom from NSMB, kinda awkward and actually sucky in many areas, has specific, empowering appearances here; its never been used better. The Bullies from SM64 are repurposed in challenging clusters late in the game. With no Wiimote to shake, Flip-Swip platforms from Galaxy return, now activated with every jump, forcing you to think a few steps ahead of your next leap. The entire history of the Super Mario franchise is fair game here, polished and refined to fit into a huge adventure that feels like a celebration of its legacy.

And its never looked better. While New Super Mario Bros U was the first game in the franchise to enter HD, no offense to the NSMB team, but Super Mario 3D World feels like the true arrival. Spooky manors, fiery fortresses, poisonous swamps and snow-covered landscapes; the amount of visual themes in SM3DW is incredible, each one filled with characterful touches and a wonderful new lighting system. The tight focused level design and isometric camera means anything that isn't needed on the screen just isn't there, giving each level a framed feel dripping wet with a level designer's touch.

And the smaller size of levels doesn't mean there are no secrets to find. Every level has three Green stars, a stamp, and other hidden collectibles locked away in difference nooks and crannies of the level, encouraging exploration and skillful usage of all of Mario's moves and various power-ups. Its a giant toybox, waiting for you to find all its gags, and rewarded the ones who get the most of each stage with challenging post-game worlds filled with all-new content and harder remixed variants of the main game's areas.

Super Mario 3D World is pure fun; a colorful collection of platforming levels bursting at the seams with creativity and polish, backed by tight controls and clean, crisp visuals. Looking back at the many stage tropes and ideas it tackles, there's no better evidence of Mario's status as the perennial gaming icon, able to slip into so many roles and feel perfectly naturally. It doesn't have Galaxy's bombast, but it wasn't really trying to, and when you're riding inside a Kurubo Iceskate, dodging Goombas and listening to a joyous winter wonderland track, its hard to care about the differences. Super Mario 3D World is EAD Tokyo doing Super Mario Bros 3(D) in 2013, the 3D sequel to SMB3 Nintendo never gave us. Until now.

9/10

Very nice.

Mik317

End Game spoilers

yeah the post game levels are hard as shit...that or I am free. Rosalina is also hax because she has an attack other than jump...hell getting the boomerang suit feels like a downgrade actually..But yeah these levels are going to cause a lot of nerd-rage from me lol.

Blizzard

Banned
This is what I get for not reading the manual. I just learned that you can
...long jump.
I don't know how useful it is but hey, another move!

Hopefully this is most of the moves I have found so far:
Scoot around while crouching.
Crouch jump for extra height.
Roll from crouch, which I found the hard way doesn't hurt enemies.
Long jump from crouch.
Run and then jump the opposite direction, which does a backward cartwheel jump.
Spin the control stick about two times, then jump, for a floaty extra-high spin jump.
Run, and keep running for even faster run speed.
Ground pound.
Slash as cat.
Hold slash while jumping to cat dive.
Fireball in fire form of course.
Turn into a shell while holding a green shell.

I'm only in 2-4 though. :p

Spoilers: reveal at your own risk

World Bowser. A theme park. A GOD DAMNED THEME PARK. THIS CAME OUT OF LEFT FIELD AND THE OVERWORLD THEME IS SO GOOD ON THE MAP SCREEN. It's so bright and colorful, and the levels within this theme park are glorious! I need this soundtrack immediately. I think, no THIS is, my favorite 3D Mario title of all time. ANd I thought Super Mario Galaxy and 3D Land is how SMB3 would be in 3D, but no, this game just takes it all.

Beats

Oh, that's neat. Post Game Spoiler:
The rocket ship on the overworld shows up in the first level in the background near the beginning.

I think my cat was jealous of all the new cats I was giving attention to in this game, because he jumped up where my Wii U was and got his paws tangled in the cords, knocking it off the shelf when he tried to jump off, where it dangled by the cords at the back as I dove at it and caught it. I was immediately OCD about my Mario disc that was inside due to hearing stories about Xbox 360s scratching discs when moved, but the Wii U was off at the time so the disc is fine. Now I play Mario with my cat on my lap, to avoid future evil cat plots!

This is what I get for not reading the manual. I just learned that you can
...long jump.
I don't know how useful it is but hey, another move!

Hopefully this is most of the moves I have found so far:
Scoot around while crouching.
Crouch jump for extra height.
Roll from crouch, which I found the hard way doesn't hurt enemies.
Long jump from crouch.
Run and then jump the opposite direction, which does a backward cartwheel jump.
Spin the control stick about two times, then jump, for a floaty extra-high spin jump.
Run, and keep running for even faster run speed.
Ground pound.
Slash as cat.
Hold slash while jumping to cat dive.
Fireball in fire form of course.
Turn into a shell while holding a green shell.

I'm only in 2-4 though. :p

Have you tried the long jump while running? It is longer.

Top Bottom