• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Who is everyone's rocking? Mario? Toad?

I've been doing a rotation, keeping it fresh, but Mario and Peach get most of the love. Toad is really fun though. Dat foot speed.

Mostly Mario. Not sure why, but for me, they made it really appealing again to want to play as him. Maybe its the character artwork, or the way he runs around.

I've been doing a rotation, keeping it fresh, but Mario and Peach get most of the love. Toad is really fun though. Dat foot speed.

In Worlds 1 and 2 I was rolling with Mario on 1st run, and Luigi for "clean up" aka "Abuse Dat Jump" but the game has gotten significantly more interesting after I decided to roll random on every stage except when you require certain characters. Ending up with Luigi on a stage where I need maximum precision, or Toad when I need jumping height, or Peach when I need speed has provided lots of fun times.

Mostly Mario. Not sure why, but for me, they made it really appealing again to want to play as him. Maybe its the character artwork, or the way he runs around.

Yeah, the way Mario and Luigi have their arms tucked when at full speed looks great. It's such a 2D thing to have characters run like that, but combined with the cartoon-esque smoke + the burst of speed it looks great.

Mario, Peach, occasionally Luigi for that ridiculous jump. Toad is abandoned and forgotten, as he should be.

Have a feeling that the unlockable character will be my main though, which is why I'm not worrying about star count yet...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Seems like 8bit Luigi easter eggs are everywhere - this one freaked me the hell out, though

tKR18MW.jpg

He ends up "drowning" as well - dude can't catch a break, even in this, the year of Luigi

Holy shit! I didn't notice that, I'll have to go back!

HOLY SHIT THAT FINAL BOWSER BATTLE

Nintendo set a huge bar with the final boss battles in the Galaxy games, but they outdid themselves AGAIN. That was so amazingly epic.

Holy shit yes!! WAY better than Galaxy 2's final boss. So fucking awesome! :D

entremet

Mario, Peach, occasionally Luigi for that ridiculous jump. Toad is abandoned and forgotten, as he should be.

Have a feeling that the unlockable character will be my main though, which is why I'm not worrying about star count yet...

Toad sucks for Gold flagpoling I must say, unless you have the Cat suit.

Glass Joe

Nintendo set a huge bar with the final boss battles in the Galaxy games, but they outdid themselves AGAIN. That was so amazingly epic.

That was great. Epic, hilarious, and beautiful! I can't believe I played this game so much in 2 days. I haven't done that kind of gaming marathon since I was a kid. And I have an unopened Zelda 3DS game staring me in the face too!

Fuck, I accidentally hit a Shame Block open too but didn't USE it. Am I screwed? I'm early enough in the game that I can just start over if hats the case, I want those shiny stars goddamnit.

I'd like to know this too. I hit the block by accident but didn't touch the item. I'm already in the bonus world but if I actually have to start over to remove the mark of shame I wouldn't mind. I'd be replaying everything for star collection anyway.

Also, I always hit the random character selection. Love the little touches of variety they bring.

I agree. Also...
the second time you fight bowser, on the highway, with his car full of colors, was awesome. EAD Tokyo has such a unique taste with colors.
Such a memorable game visually, and musically.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'd like to know this too. I hit the block by accident but didn't touch the item. I'm already in the bonus world but if I actually have to start over to remove the mark of shame I wouldn't mind. I'd be replaying everything for star collection anyway.
If you've already beaten the game, you should have a star on your save file already. Check if it has a sparkling animation or not. If it doesn't then you goofed.

Anteo

Toad sucks for Gold flagpoling I must say, unless you have the Cat suit.

Just roll long jump man, you can do it from stadning still and get max speed, perfect for the small space you have on the top of the stairs. It really makes most gold flags a non issue.

gogoud

Collecting all those hidden stars. Ugh. Check on top of every pipe... Climb every wall... So many lives lost. So few stars left!!!

And those stamps... And those short puzzles. And forget blowing into to the mic just scream in anger when you get hit... It'll uncover everything and bring those platforms closer...

Just did the sneaking level where you sneak incognito it's been in trailers... So much awesome! I wish there were no time limits for the levels... You just want to explore :(

If you've already beaten the game, you should have a star on your save file already. Check if it has a sparkling animation or not. If it doesn't then you goofed.

I checked, and it does indeed have a sparkle animation. I can confirm that hitting a shame block, but not touching the item will not screw you over.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
So far this game has been outstanding, by far the best mario multiplayer experience I've had so far. Probably will be my goty.

gogoud

As someone who hated Sunshine and 3D Land and never played any of the Galaxies, should I get this game?

Nope. 3d land vibe is very strong in this. Improved graphics and mechanics. Other than that it's 3dland amped to the next level.

Rent it if you can or borrow it. If you hated 3d land skip spending 60 on this and check it out from a friend and see for your self.

As someone who hated Sunshine and 3D Land and never played any of the Galaxies, should I get this game?
Probably, because it has enough of the Galaxy games in it to be an incredible game, even if the Mario formula has gotten dull for you. First two worlds really felt like 3D Land to me, but after that things ramped up in a hurry.

You should really play the Galaxy games

hmm, tough question. I never played sunshine, it didnt appeal to me. I really liked 3d land. Galaxy games are great, but i didnt have the urge to play it in long sessions. 3d world, I downloaded at midnight, and played til 4am. I think about playing it, when im not. Its a fantastic game.

Id say, if you own a wii u, and if you've liked any mario games before, you at least have to try it. Maybe get it for $50 on BF, and if you really dont like it, sell it with no, to little lose. Or do a game fly free trial, and rent it.

Drago

I would probably recommend getting the Galaxy games first. They should be cheap by now and are absolute must plays.

If you just want to go straight to 3D World, for what its worth, I didn't like 3D Land too much and am currently loving 3D World.

Berordn

Alright guys.
Crown-Crown
(Post-postgame spoiler?) is a pain in the ass. I'm struggling just doing it as Peach, I can't imagine anyone else D:

silenttwn

I remember reading that for Galaxy 2 the programming team developed an interface for all staff members to submit level designs, even the music composers and visual artists. It's brilliant, since you get so many different kinds of minds contributing ideas that someone designated to be on the level design team would've never thought up. Given how 3D is even MORE modular, I wouldn't be surprised if they had continued with that approach.

Also, I just thought about how since the level "thumbnails" float above the world they're inside (and not just modeled onto the world itself) that this probably allowed them to switch around where levels appear in the game very late in development without having to worry about remodeling the overworld map.

Kard8p3

I remember reading that for Galaxy 2 the programming team developed an interface for all staff members to submit level designs, even the music composers and visual artists. It's brilliant, since you get so many different kinds of minds contributing ideas that someone designated to be on the level design team would've never thought up. Given how 3D is even MORE modular, I wouldn't be surprised if they had continued with that approach.

Also, I just thought about how since the level "thumbnails" float above the world they're inside (and not just modeled onto the world itself) that this probably allowed them to switch around where levels appear in the game very late in development without having to worry about remodeling the overworld map.

In the recent Iwata Asks they said the team got up to around 100 people and at one point they were all submitting ideas.

silenttwn

In the recent Iwata Asks they said the team got up to around 100 people and at one point they were all submitting ideas.

Thanks. I'll have to read it. It just makes me wonder how long until they can make it so user friendly that they can release a level editor as an add on. I could see it happening, since the Wii U has a touch screen interface.

PogiJones

Banned
It's insane how utterly wrong my worries about the soundtrack were. I was worried they wouldn't match up to Galaxy 2's, let alone Galaxy's. Little did I know the soundtrack would exceed them both.

I thought I wanted more Galaxy-style music. Why does Nintendo know what I want better than I do?

nkarafo

With all the microtransactions-bullshit that's going on on the other consoles, this looks like pure gaming bliss like its supposed to be.

I wish i had a WiiU...

Seik

Banned
Just finished the main game. That was fun.

I heard there was new levels post-game, but unlike 3D Land they don't seem to appear right after completing the main game, what do I need to do? Collect all the green stars I guess?

Just finished the main game. That was fun.

I heard there was new levels post-game, but unlike 3D Land they don't seem to appear right after completing the main game, what do I need to do? Collect all the green stars I guess?
Unless I'm missing something, reload the game. You should be back at World 1. Just walk upwards to the tall island.

OryoN

jEOH5WnHJ600D.jpg

The game looks much better while playing.

LOL, I been trying to do that for a while yesterday(in world 1-2, underground). Ironically, while writing "lol." Finially gave up because it just disappeared too fast. I'm impressed that you not only did it so fast, but it's so well written too! :eek:

Galaxy was Mario perfection

Mario has been perfected more than once. EAD gonna EAD.

LOL, I been trying to do that for a while yesterday(in world 1-2, underground). Ironically, while writing "lol." Finially gave up because it just disappeared too fast. I'm impressed that you not only did it so fast, but it's so well written too! :eek:

It took me multiple trys. Sand works better than the snow, for visibility.

Lumyst

Not gonna lie, the first thing I did when I got to that beach and noticed the sand was to see if I could write swear words.

I like the camaraderie-feel of seeing Miiverse posts and Miis scattered throughout the world map, it's like everybody's cheering each other on :)

Lijik

I wish there was an option in the game to just default to the smoother camera option all the time. Not a big fan of the Galaxy-esque one it defaults to

Top Bottom