• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

The only thing keeping this game from being perfect for me is the timer. I want to explore the levels at my leisure, dammit!

I know what you're saying, but at the same time, what makes these levels so good is the timer. My point is, the levels are short and not so intricate. If you have unlimited time to explore, boredom would ensue. Dont take this wrong. Its a compliment to the balance of game design. The timer makes you maximize your appreciation for these levels.

I hope that made sense.

TnK

Any tips on stage
bowser-7 with the rolling cube? I keep dying a lot, and this never happened with any stage before. Quite frustrating. Cube is funny though

KiN0

I really love the unique places they stuck those luigis. My favorite one would have to be in world 6-3. Very clever.

Any tips on stage
bowser-7 with the rolling cube? I keep dying a lot, and this never happened with any stage before. Quite frustrating. Cube is funny though

I found that letting yourself fall forward with the cube, just before you cant jump, you jump, and youll land on it.

rawktapus

Any tips on stage

Are you trying to jump when it rotates? I found it worked better when I just ran to try and catch up. The mice are good to keep alive so you can get a feel for the speed you need. That level was brutal though, I lost quite a few lives trying to do that one.

Nose Master

Sooo in 4-5 is there a way to get up the wall past the half-way flag? (It's by the ring of flowers/star.) I can get up the first bit by 180 jumping and the cat + extra cat climb (from diving) but I'm just a bit too low to get up onto the next ledge. In multi it'd be a piece of cake, but, is there anything even up there?

This isnt one of the star or stamp locations, btw.

Leninpest

Any tips on stage

Doing anything but slow walking over the edges will cause you to die, pretty much. My friend and I wasted so many lives on that level too and beat it with one character and 0 lives left.

boxter432

Not gonna lie, the first thing I did when I got to that beach and noticed the sand was to see if I could write swear words.

I like the camaraderie-feel of seeing Miiverse posts and Miis scattered throughout the world map, it's like everybody's cheering each other on :)

I wrote "poop" in the snow and laughed to myself.

LOCK

I'm in love with this game.

Pikmin had a great story, had a great cast of characters, and the levels and bosses seemed very polished though short.

The Last of Us had a deep and great story, enduring characters both memorable and interesting, but the gameplay and the "fungal zombie" seemed a little familiar.

GTAV has a good story, memorable characters for all the wrong reasons, but the "game" part was fun.

Super Mario 3D World has a story, lovable characters, and the gameplay is familiar yet introduces freshness on almost every level. Plus I forgot to mention that it is the most fun I've had playing a game this year so far. Chasing a bunny brings me more joy than random car evasion in GTAV.

SM3DW is probably going to be my GOTY. Unless Zelda changes that.

This game = pure bliss:

tumblr_mwr629bqvF1sknvbmo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwr5x942KB1sknvbmo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwr80bSnI21sknvbmo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwr8svO1j11sknvbmo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwr9pfhkpk1sknvbmo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwr9iw490y1sknvbmo1_1280.jpg

Lumyst

I wrote "poop" in the snow and laughed to myself.

Well, of course I've also put the gamepad to more noble uses too! Like holding the rabbit while I run after it. I'm loving the direct interaction with the game's world that the gamepad provides, so long as you're not a neat freak who shudders at smudges and fingerprints. I've had some hesitancy, but I know that the gamepad was designed for people to get their fingers on it, so I comply ;-) Hell, the WiiU's logo has that finger symbolized by the U, so it's basically saying "You better put your fingers on that pad, even if you don't like smudges."

I'm impressed by the lack of tutorials in this game, considering how many ideas they throw at you. They have things like the mice running that teach you how to play, without taking control away from you or popping up text bubbles. Lot of smart level design here.

I'm impressed by the lack of tutorials in this game, considering how many ideas they throw at you. They have things like the mice running that teach you how to play, without taking control away from you or popping up text bubbles. Lot of smart level design here.

Nintendo's always been pretty good at that, just at some point they started adding in tutorials on top of the silent ones.

I've been meaning for a few years to make a video showing some of the stuff they never get credit for with regard to silent tutorials (even Skyward Sword, infamous for over-tutorializing, has some really good ones), but I never got around to it.

Atomski

I noticed when spinning the game stick the character will spin in game. I dont know why but I love that.. its always a habbit of mine that I spin the stick when frustrated yet no game actually had a function when you did this.

Kard8p3

I noticed when spinning the game stick the character will spin in game. I dont know why but I love that.. its always a habbit of mine that I spin the stick when frustrated yet no game actually had a function when you did this.

Yeah that's a returning feature from sunshine. Twirl the stick then jump to do a spin jump.

roknin

Finished the game tonight. The amount of satisfaction is immense. So many details err'where. Noticing too how a lot of the sound effects for the most random things (boost panels, trapeze, touch platforms, etc) match up to the music. I thought I was imagining things at first... but wow. That's some serious polish.

Also, we need to discuss how the Captain Toad levels should be their own damn game. Or they should add more as DLC. Or something.

Tons of spoilers ahoy:

Final boss fight... man I wish it was longer. That was fucking epic all the way through. Nice surprises everywhere. All my "fuck yeah's".

The Star World... Shit got real, real fast. Deaths piling up quick.

S'no joke.

And they're STILL throwing new shit at me. What the hell.

Also confirmed that I still hate log rolling in every game its used in. Gawdddammit. :-| (lol)

Star-4 (I think that's the one?) is the biggest deke in Mario history. Maybe even in gaming history (might be a stretch there, lol). One of those moments I want to literally post/tweet about because its so fucking awesome the first few times through. Had a humungous-ass grin on my face and could not stop laughing my first 3-4 tries. Brilliance.
This game keeps delivering. I don't want to stop playing but its 1:58 am and I was supposed to play and record a ton of other stuff tonight lol... Back to green star hunting tomorrow night after my work's done for the day. :p

linko9

Just finished everything (with toad, not going to bother playing every level as other characters). Hell of a game. Final level spoilers:
sort of disappointed with the final level. I went in with a raccoon suit, beat it in 4 or 5 tries. Huge step down in difficulty from Galaxy 2 and even 3D land. The 30 star marathon thing took me longer, but not by too much. Overall difficulty was fine, but I was hoping for absurdity at the end
. Overall very satisfied, but I hope Nintendo decides to put out a truly difficult Mario game at some point.

Kard8p3

Just finished everything (with toad, not going to bother playing every level as other characters). Hell of a game. Final level spoilers:
sort of disappointed with the final level. I went in with a raccoon suit, beat it in 4 or 5 tries. Huge step down in difficulty from Galaxy 2 and even 3D land. The 30 star marathon thing took me longer, but not by too much. Overall difficulty was fine, but I was hoping for absurdity at the end
. Overall very satisfied, but I hope Nintendo decides to put out a truly difficult Mario game at some point.

Do it without any power-ups. I thought the 3D Land stage was easy with the tanooki suit but without it changed completely.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently to 100% the game you need to complete each level with each character, not surprising. Anybody know if you have to get the top of the flag pole with each or just get to the end?

TnK

Are you trying to jump when it rotates? I found it worked better when I just ran to try and catch up. The mice are good to keep alive so you can get a feel for the speed you need. That level was brutal though, I lost quite a few lives trying to do that one.

I found that letting yourself fall forward with the cube, just before you cant jump, you jump, and youll land on it.

Doing anything but slow walking over the edges will cause you to die, pretty much. My friend and I wasted so many lives on that level too and beat it with one character and 0 lives left.
Alright, will try all of this when I get back home. Thanks.
Where's Mario?

ih8sqxhkvyldp.jpg
How can I go here again? In a dumb fasion, I died right at the start thinking I could continue, but nope, stage vanished =(

spliced

Just beat the end boss.

I'm glad I somehow avoided seeing cat Bowser until actually playing the game.

I wanted to make it last longer but I couldn't stop playing. The game never lets up from moment one. I'm glad to see so many others enjoying it.

spliced

Any tips on stage

Don't change sides too quickly, almost every death I had on that was walking to the new side too early.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nintendo's always been pretty good at that, just at some point they started adding in tutorials on top of the silent ones.

I've been meaning for a few years to make a video showing some of the stuff they never get credit for with regard to silent tutorials (even Skyward Sword, infamous for over-tutorializing, has some really good ones), but I never got around to it.

That is a great idea. I love stuff like this. Do you even remember all of them? I forget this stuff quickly a lot of the time. Only the most famous examples from Super Metroid and Mario 1 are cemented into my memory.

Neiteio

Ha. No negative comments and a point taken off. Don't give up the day job.
JC's review was excellent, and he actually noted a number of "negatives" in previous posts. Also, it's possible to not have any particular problems with a game, but for it to not be so incredible as to merit a 10/10. If I recall his commentary correctly (prior to that review), 3D World falls below Galaxy in his eyes, and thus is a 9/10 rather than a 10/10. Which is fair. I personally prefer 3D World, but I can see how some would think Galaxy is the better game.

Top Bottom