• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, I just died like 8 times on 3-2. Not being able to move the camera at all is killer on that level with the scrolling. :( There's not much depth perception, and some gates that block your path basically appear as pure vertical lines.

Mogwai

Is it possible to play the game exclusively with a pro controller or the Wii remote?

I know the captain Toad levels require the gamepad, but assuming they're skipped.

Wow, I just died like 8 times on 3-2. Not being able to move the camera at all is killer on that level with the scrolling. :( There's not much depth perception, and some gates that block your path basically appear as pure vertical lines.
I lost like fuckin 30 lives on that level before I even got to the goddamn check point.
Is it possible to play the game exclusively with a pro controller or the Wii remote?

I know the captain Toad levels require the gamepad, but assuming they're skipped.
The manual says you can but I don't understand how since some levels require the mic and touch pad.

Phew, I thought that was just me! I died 7-8 times on that level before completing it with 3 stars I believe

Kouichi

YESSS

Finally beat the final level with Luigi! I think I died about 80 times, good gracious.

I also got all the green stars, flagpoles, and Luigi stamp. Profile now has four stars. I guess the fifth is beating every level with every character and finishing the stamp collection, right?

Blizzard

Banned
Thoughts on randomness:

If there is a trick to slot machines, I haven't found it yet. It goes so fast I can't even see the symbols, and I have never gotten more than 2 matches.

I am nearly convinced that the pre-level random select cannot pick the same character you already have, even though the symbol cycles through.

ADDENDUM: That huge slidey ramp section in the beep beep beep BLOOP level later in world 3 (4?) is absolutely terrifying even after you rotate the camera.

Thoughts on randomness:

If there is a trick to slot machines, I haven't found it yet. It goes so fast I can't even see the symbols, and I have never gotten more than 2 matches.

I am nearly convinced that the pre-level random select cannot pick the same character you already have, even though the symbol cycles through.

ADDENDUM: That huge slidey ramp section in the beep beep beep BLOOP level later in world 3 (4?) is absolutely terrifying even after you rotate the camera.

I always wait until I see the cherry pass, and then I jump. Get's me perfect 8-ups every time.

And you're correct, the random character select won't choose the last character you used. I kind of wish it did, but whatever.

D-e-f-

Banned

I lost like fuckin 30 lives on that level before I even got to the goddamn check point.

The manual says you can but I don't understand how since some levels require the mic and touch pad.

If a level requires the gamepad it says you have to switch to the gamepad on the screen. Otherwise you can use what you want.

Every time I finish a 'world' in this game, I get a bit nervous. I don't want it too end too quick!

Does this have good 'post-game-completion' content? Or is it a good thing I'm taking it slow?

I've spent about 11 hours in the game and I'm at World Bowser, and after that I'm going to go back and get all the green stars that I can. This game will give me more than enough hours of entertainment. Awesome!
goddammit way to post that image above of the
'other world'

guess i'm not coming back to this thread. Sigh.
If that's directed to my posting a picture of World Bowser, I apologize. Not sure what constitutes as a spoiler for this game seeing as how everyone is posting images from levels they're playing.

Where's Mario?

ih8sqxhkvyldp.jpg
How do you get here? I've looked up and down and yet to find this stage.

He's in the smokestack. :)

Ha. No negative comments and a point taken off. Don't give up the day job.
Did his score insult you or something?

Yeah, an E-Shop game for Captain Toad would be awesome. I was surprised by how much I'm enjoying his levels.
We're 100% up to World 8. I definitely see Mystery Houses and Captain Toad DLC in the future. This game is a goldmine as far as what they can add to it. I'm just happy they gave us a complete game first.

TAS

Does anyone know why that blue outline appears around the edges of the screen sometimes? I was playing multiplayer with my nephew and niece last night and I noticed it a few times.

The depth perception on some of these levels is really throwing me off. This is especially true on some of the running levels. Half the time Mario doesn't make the jumps and the other half of the time he jumps further than you need him to. Come on Mario! At least have some consistency!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I only ever have the option of selecting "random."

Sounds like it might be cut off due to overscan? There should be tab for each player at the bottom of the screen, and it says hit B to change.

Does anyone know why that blue outline appears around the edges of the screen sometimes? I was playing multiplayer with my nephew and niece last night and I noticed it a few times.

I think that happens with a character/double is getting too far away.

llehuty

The wait, is too much... What kind of social experiment is NoE playing on us europeans, having to wait one week for the game of the forever.

I need it now!

For people who complete the stamp sheet, Nintendo should send out real stamps. (Or at least a sticker sheet).

Or maybe put up real stamps on the Club Nintendo store.

Thoughts on randomness:

For the slot machines, I think it is synced to the music. I tried jumping at the end of a drumroll and got 3 matches (mistimed my 4th jump). There seem to be a few different music sequences. You might have to wait for the music to cycle through a few times.

NYCrooner

This is easily the most fun I've ever had playing co-op in my 30 years of gaming. Me, my wife and my bro stood up all damn night and didn't want to stop. Easily my GOTY. Wow!

zroid

Banned
the slot machines are not difficult. the "trick" I use is to count "1" when I see the icon I'm attempting to line up; then I count "2" the next time it passes, and "3" the next time. If you're consistent, you should have a rhythm established by now, so keep the rhythm going for a few more beats, and usually on the count of "8" I jump.

related:
i6OkVSZzORvDS.jpg

Forkball

I'm on 3-4 and I've lost half my lives since I've entered World 3. The chainlink level drove me crazy. Is there any trick to it? As Cat Mario you can climb it, but you can't go over or on top of it, so when I try to jump I just go the opposite way.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm on 3-4 and I've lost half my lives since I've entered World 3. The chainlink level drove me crazy. Is there any trick to it? As Cat Mario you can climb it, but you can't go over or on top of it, so when I try to jump I just go the opposite way.

Handicap Peach gets the job done easier than the other characters. That's the one level where I used her for once.

If you dont hit the jump button at the top of the fences, youll hop over them automatically.

zroid

Banned

You can go over the fences with the cat suit. you just need to jump onto it with good timing (as in, not when the fence is ascending)

Gsnap

I'm impressed by the lack of tutorials in this game, considering how many ideas they throw at you. They have things like the mice running that teach you how to play, without taking control away from you or popping up text bubbles. Lot of smart level design here.

I was dying so much on the rolling block level until I noticed the mice. "Wait, why aren't they attac-- Ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!" But now that I think about it, the mice never attack you in any level do they? That kind of consistency is great design. They didn't have to break any of the game's rules to teach you how to walk on the block.

Zing

Banned
This as the first level where I had a legitimate death. The cat suit can actually be a hindrance here. But, just remember to not jump once you are on the fence. My daughter has the habit of wanting to jump once she climbs to the top of walls as well. Maybe we are conditioned by other games to press a button once we reach the top edge.

Zing

Banned
If there is a trick to slot machines, I haven't found it yet. It goes so fast I can't even see the symbols, and I have never gotten more than 2 matches
I wonder if your TV pixel refresh is too slow. On my Sony LCD in game mode, I can easily recognize the symbols as they go past. I can get four matches every time if I try. I don't go to the music or even really watch for the symbol. I just choose a symbol, watch the box for a few rotations, and mentally count a rhythm every time it goes past. After a few counts, I don't really look at the symbol, I just jump to the rhythm. Move on to next box, find the symbol, and repeat the process.

I only ever have the option of selecting "random."
The screen says (B) CHOOSE or something right at the bottom. Maybe you need to adjust your screen position. The game also gives you text instructions on this in world 3, if I recall correctly.

I haven't beaten the game yet but my god this game could use a community level creator. The replay value would be immense.

This would be insane if Nintendo ever did this for ANY of their games. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, DKC, Pikmin, Mario Kart, the possibilities are endless. We would never buy other games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just played 4 players with my siblings...SO MUCH CHAOS. It's amazing!

Just finished playing through almost 4 worlds with my gf. We had a blast. The multiplayer is so much fun. Really digging the game so far. Plenty to do, plenty to see. A good mix of platforming and exploration.

This is easily the most fun I've ever had playing co-op in my 30 years of gaming. Me, my wife and my bro stood up all damn night and didn't want to stop. Easily my GOTY. Wow!
Looks like co-op is as good as I thought. This is what pleases me the most with this game :)

Zeeman

I'm only in World 2, but holy shit this game is so much fun. I was also planning to play a bit of Zelda today but I don't want to stop playing Mario

SM239

Just finished THE final level with Mario. This is easily my all time favorite Mario game. There is just so much packed into this game it's amazing.

Now its time to go through the game with the remaining characters. Got to get that 100%.

Top Bottom