• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

At the fourth world.....maybe I'm getting tired of the Mario formula but there's very little here I feel like I haven't seen before. Your typical platforming and easy difficulty. The blowing on the mic to make platforms move thing was kind of cool though. So is the multiplayer.

But it's hardly like "holy fuck change your life game of the year" game/level design or anything.

I mean the level design is great IMO but you seem like you're looking for something more challenging and more bombastic with its gimmicks. You interested in Tropical Freeze? bc I think the days of challenging 3D Mario are over with (and have been since EAD) - they seem more interested in unimposing fun than the kind of challenge that some core players find enjoyable.

And the level design really picks up, you'll see.

Berordn

Post game content is sublime and there's enough of it for me to be content. Also, you guys should be proud. This thread has more posts than ALBW.

I'm generally satisfied, though I wish there were more of the
Mushroom and Flower remix worlds
. They do a good job of twisting your expectations from the levels they're based on, unlike 3D Land where the special worlds were very clearly based on the original level's geometry.

Popup

Can I ask what res and frame rate this game is running at please? I have just picked up A Wii U for this game and more but it is not released until this Friday here in the UK. Thanks..

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's my fault. This will be rectified once I start playing Zelda. :3

That won't do, that won't do at all.
Shove off traitors!

I'm generally satisfied, though I wish there were more of the
Mushroom and Flower remix worlds
. They do a good job of twisting your expectations from the levels they're based on, unlike 3D Land where the special worlds were very clearly based on the original level's geometry.
Haha maybe I'm just easy to please.

Sanic

I think the highest compliment I could give the game is that probably 1/2 of the levels could be expanded into a standalone game, and WOULD be by a lesser developer.

Big fan of the post-game content.
You got an entire ninth world with 10 new levels, then some smart remixed content in the Mushroom/Flower, and then finally some really challenging final 3 areas for the 100% crowd that test most of the skills you've learned over the game. Very satisfying, on top of an already very good main 8 worlds.

That's a pretty fucking dumb thing to say.

I was waiting for this xp

It's weird, all sorts of dark shit that people poke fun at and yet it's only certain things that entire pages will gang up on you about. The whole internet is knights now regardless of personal circumstance and yet only some show consistency outside of commenting on the hot button bad word of the month

just commenting, it weirds me out to go to some websites (not necessarily here) where people will laugh it up about shit like cancer and aspergers and being crippled and being physically or psychologically abused - all being of course common and terrible things that real people have to live with - because it's okay as long as everyone else is joking about it too. Lord help you if you straddle that shit line but stray even a little though because some things are apparently 'too horrible to joke about' to those sorts of hypocrites

internet is pretty fucking strange these days

ibxc8pclS6MSjm.jpg

Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Big fan of the post-game content.
You got an entire ninth world with 10 new levels, then some smart remixed content in the Mushroom/Flower, and then finally some really challenging final 3 areas for the 100% crowd that test most of the skills you've learned over the game. Very satisfying, on top of an already very good main 8 worlds.

I'm only enjoying a few post-game levels so far. I.e., the ones that are on par with the difficulty of the rest of the game. F those worlds with those spinning things that you either have to jump on or make them spin yourself.

Raw64life

I think the highest compliment I could give the game is that probably 1/2 of the levels could be expanded into a standalone game, and WOULD be by a lesser developer.

If this game was a PS4/Xbone launch title the post-game worlds would be $4.99 each or buy all 3 for $9.99 WOW WHAT A GREAT DEAL

In (post game)
Star-2
has anyone gotten the stamp without using a suit? is it possible? i spent 30 minutes trying spin jumps and backflips but only made it this far:

I managed to do it with the character in your pic. You have to time it so that you land on the second platform when it spins, then jump when the second platform is about to become vertical again. It's really tight timing, but it's definitely doable.

Tain

what don't you like about the co-op?

I don't enjoy it nearly as much when the only way to lose any progress is for everyone to die at the same time. It's a really common issue for me in co-op modes. This game has lives, of course, and that's fine, but there are too many for them to be meaningful (as people have been saying about modern mario games for years) so it's pretty uncommon to run out in co-op.

orborborb

Approaching 250 stars now, and I've played with every control configuration:

Wii U Gamepad with both analog stick and dpad
Wii U Pro Controller with both analog stick and dpad
Wii Remote with dpad
Wii Remote with Nunchuk analog stick
Classic Controller with analog stick and dpad
Classic Controller Pro with analog stick and dpad

Wii Remote with Nunchuk is absolutely my favorite control scheme. The 8-way notches on the analog stick work perfectly with this game's 8-way run, and I've always felt the Mario 64 style moves only feel right with an analog stick centered over your thumb with the trigger right underneath.

The original Classic Controller with dpad is the most precise when it comes to changing direction or using b-button abilities (partly due to the lack of handle grips) but unfortunately the Z-stomp is mapped to those terrible tiny trigger buttons.

Zing

Banned
I can't decide if stamps are good or bad for Miiverse. On one hand, instead of cute drawings and (usually ironically) funny text messages, all we get are generic stamps. On the other hand, people are sometimes rather creative with them. I just miss stuff like "dear bowser: I hate u and I will kill u".

Andrew.

Banned
I can't decide if stamps are good or bad for Miiverse. On one hand, instead of cute drawings and (usually ironically) funny text messages, all we get are generic stamps. On the other hand, people are sometimes rather creative with them. I just miss stuff like "dear bowser: I hate u and I will kill u".

I love the stamps and have been quite creatve. So creative that I got warned by admin. Whoops.

Lunzio

Regarding post-game content:
Is the sand castle in World Flower with the stars, stamps, and flags a link to the next world? I'm guessing you have to collect all of those to access?

307 Stars, 63 Stamps, and 98% of the flag poles later... I might be done for now :p

Top Bottom