• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

BY2K

Membero Americo
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01m9qe5.jpg

What are the odds...

Krabboss

Totally disagree on the Galaxy 1 vs 2 thing. When 1 came out I was incredibly underwhelmed. I eventually got through it and thought it was fun, but it was worse than Sunshine I thought. I enjoyed 2 a lot more, since it felt like it expanded on the stripped down approach of Galaxy and did some interesting things. Still less fun than SMS, but better than Galaxy 1.

Just finished the main game. I was waiting for the game to absolutely wreck me, and it did when I was going for all the stamps and stars on the final level before Bowser (the one with the
stone flipping in the lava
. A couple questions though, I thought
you unlock Rosalina after beating the game? I didn't get her
. Also, is
The star world supposed to be the first post game world? I figured it would be like Mario Kart with mushroom, flower, star, and finally special

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Just finished the main game. I was waiting for the game to absolutely wreck me, and it did when I was going for all the stamps and stars on the final level before Bowser (the one with the
stone flipping in the lava
. A couple questions though, I thought
you unlock Rosalina after beating the game? I didn't get her
. Also, is
The star world supposed to be the first post game world? I figured it would be like Mario Kart with mushroom, flower, star, and finally special
You
unlock her after the second post game level and yes star is first.

It was no less puzzling to me then that it is now.

I swear I was like the only person actually hyped from the get go.

I loved it from the moment I saw it too. Super Mario 3D Land was exceptional and this and Pokemon are the only games I've felt legitimate hype to go and get this year, very jealous of all you Americans playing it already!

Kurtofan

Any Europeans playing Galaxy 1 or 2 while waiting for the game to come out? I told myself I wouldn't to avoid getting a Mario "overdose" but I couldn't resist, it's still an excellent game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is there a sure-fire way to get Toad Houses and other bonus levels on the map to infinitely respawn? I'm used to the NSMB games where they become always open after 100%ing the game but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

taybul

I really didn't like the Plessie segments one bit. He's a pain to control solo and his mid-level parts seemed shoed-in.

Just beat the game and it was pretty easy
though post-game is already kicking my ass
. Only 3 levels really stuck out for me as being difficult/annoying:

- That moving level in the first world I believe with the moving gates. That one green star was a pain in the ass
- World 7's dash level. Again, trying to get everything was a pain and I flew off the edge so many times
- Rotating block level in World 8. If you go over the edge on the block at the wrong time you get forcibly thrown off. Also the stamp in this one was probably the source of the most deaths for any given level.

If that's directed to my posting a picture of World Bowser, I apologize. Not sure what constitutes as a spoiler for this game seeing as how everyone is posting images from levels they're playing.

I always get shit kicks out of people bringing up 'spoilers' that have been plastered all around everywhere as a result of Nintendo's own marketing for the game

Like at this point if
Rosalina/Lumas/Sky Observatory
or
World Bowser
are genuine surprises for you than congratulations, you're one of five people who had genuine interest in this game without having seen like a single trailer or piece of promo material lol and I wish I was you

Christ, all the weirdos come out as soon as a female proclaims her gender loudly for all to hear.

^ in response to one of the tamest comments I've ever seen deemed "Christ"-worthy

man, how da fuq have you survived this long on the internet. you'd think you'd have bailed out by now

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Man I am in love with
the Japanese castle levels,
especially
the post game one
. OMG so many feels. The music, the charm, the platforming.

Busaiku

How is it that every single time, Tokyo EAD keeps making a better Bowser battle.
Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario 3D Land (New Super Mario Bros Wii too, but that's a different group), and now this...

Seriously, this was just beautiful.

Azure J

I literally had an hour long playthrough session of one world we already beat with my siblings with the sole objective being to steal the crown from whoever had it. We literally spent an hour playing a world we had already beaten just to play "snatch the kufi".

Bestest game.

taybul

Like at this point if
Rosalina/Lumas/Sky Observatory
or
World Bowser
are genuine surprises for you than congratulations, you're one of five people who had genuine interest in this game without having seen like a single trailer or piece of promo material lol and I wish I was you

I was skeptical when I first got to World 7 and it looked very "end-game-y". Knew there had to be one more world.

Blades64

Banned
As someone who didn't give this game any of her attention until the week before release, this game was of the most pleasant surprises.

I haven't played many Mario games. As I said before in this thread, my experience with Mario draws from SM64, Super Mario Sunshine, Galaxy 1, and Galaxy 2. Even so, I know a damn good game when I play it. To think I almost missed this gem!

To start, the game is gorgeous. I don't know the technical details of it, and frankly, I don't care: All I see is a game that seems to look at you and say, "Fun" or "Come play!" The music, which I called "indistinguishable background melodies" based off the few trailers we got before release, is anything but. There are plenty of songs that you'll find yourself noticing and then enjoying. The game features a lot of content – so much content, in fact, that it kind of feels like a bit of a steal at $60. Playing through the first eight world took me about 13 hours, and I've yet to grab all the stars or go through the post-game content. That's money well spent.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (especially 1) are two of my favorite games, and I think the best praise I can give Super Mario 3D World is that it does a few crucial things better than those two games.

The level design is less linear than either of the Galaxy games. When there's not a different path for you to use to get to your end goal, there's enough content for you to explore and discover to help you through this level or the next, or just fun Easter eggs like this to find. The level that epitomizes the game's philosophy, I feel, is "Sprawling Savannah." Here you have this huge field to run around in: a huge area to explore and uncover secrets. There's nothing like it in either of the Galaxy games. A lot of this non-linearity has to deal with the verticality of the levels to incorporate the catsuit. There are some secrets in levels that can only be found using that power-up, though there are many exploratory endeavors that can be undertaken without it.

Power-ups: Another aspect I feel this game does better than either of the Galaxy games. The boomerang, catsuit, and cherry power-ups are more fun than any of the power-ups in the Mario Galaxies. Moreover, power-ups are incorporated in a better way. Not having a power-up to complete a level makes them valuable. Additionally, making power-ups optional has the effect of making the play style less linear. How you tackle a particular portion of a level depends on what power-up you have (or non at all). This helps the games replayability as it ensures that you play a level a little differently every time you play it.

The strongest criticism I can level at the game is that stupid timer that's present in every level. There's no need for it, and it adds unnecessary pressure. It can also hamper exploration as the timer can run out while you're just goofing around. However, it is mitigated by the checkpoint system as you're offered a lot more time after death, but a death from the timer running out is a needless death. Overall, though, it's an annoyance that you bump into every now and then.

In an age of shooters, resolution measurements, pixelgates, the desire to achieve a "cinematic" experience, this game is fun. It is first and foremost, and lastly, a game: And that's refreshing.

I'm not going to give a numerical score because numerical scores are stupid, but this is my game of the year.

This is literally the ONLY issue I can see myself having with this game. Can't wait until I get mine tho. :)

Might be a stupid question but we don't get the game til friday so..

When playing multiplayer, does Toad give an unfair advantage since he's the fastest so he can gather everything up first as long as the player is good with him?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Had a 5 hour session with a couple of friends last night. These are the typical FPS/racing game loving type who go to IGN for reviews yet they couldn't get enough of this game.

There were a lot of mind blowing elements. Some boss fights, the hype trains, the ghost house, the kart themed level, the Toad levels... and so much more. People bitch about flag poles at the end of the levels but they are so much fun in multiplayer with everyone scrambling to get the highest spot or timing the jumps so everyone gets to land high.

Then there's the Plessie levels, or the colored platform segments that switch when you jump, the slot machines, or even figuring out which level to start next on the world map. Everyone was really into it, yelling out strategies, trying to coordinate, and things even got a little hostile when people accidentally threw someone else off the stage or stole powerups before settling down because everyone shares lives.

All in all, and my friends said the same thing too: we haven't played a game that is this much fun in a long time. Thinking back to the time we spent with this game, it was truly magical. Its the next day and my friends are still texting me about how much fun they had and are looking forward to playing the game again. I never would have imagined a bunch of 20 somethings getting so excited for a Mario game yet Nintendo's done it again.

All in all, and my friends said the same thing too: we haven't played a game that is this much fun in a long time. Thinking back to the time we spent with this game, it was truly magical. Its the next day and my friends are still texting me about how much fun they had and are looking forward to playing the game again. I never would have imagined a bunch of 20 somethings getting so excited for a Mario game yet Nintendo's done it again.

fuck yer fun man shit looks like 3d land so disappoint.jpg wonder wen ead will be good again lolol

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Post game content is sublime and there's enough of it for me to be content. Also, you guys should be proud. This thread has more posts than ALBW.

Top Bottom