• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

denshuu

This is a yes or no question. I'm just starting world 5. Are there more powerups than I've seen thus far?

• Super Mushroom
  • Super Bell
  • Fire Flower
  • Double Cherry
  • Starman
  • Super Leaf
  • Boomerang Flower
EDIT: More:

• Mega Mushroom
  • Propeller Block
  • Coin Block
  • Cannon Block

EDIT 2: Ah, and the Goomba Mask too…

Yes, sort of.
There's a different Bell that lets you turn into a Lucky Cat when you butt-stomp. It's the same as the Special Tanooki Suit from 3D Land, except a gold statue instead of a stone one

Also holy Christ, I just realized you can go inside koopa shells. That's awesome.

Mupod

Mount Must Dash was amazing, but then I saw this in the scrolling miiverse posts at the end and lost my shit.

zlCfzRM7kUYJDQgFRH

Clockwork5

Aww, it's considered easy? Was considering a WiiU purchase for this, but there's little I dislike more than an easy game. NVM, I guess.

*edit*

Didn't Nintendo hint at an increased difficulty after the first play through, or something like that?

It gets hard towards the end. And if you try for all the collectables you will find plenty of challenges and mind games.

Andrew.

Banned
There are a few later on where you need a certain number of stars to open them, but the requirements aren't that high. As long as you've been collecting one or two a stage and doing the Captain Toad/Mystery House stages you'll be fine.

I cant progress to the next level until Ive found everything and nailed the top of the flagpole beforehand.

OCD gaming at its worst, but the game is heaven so the rate that it bothers me is 0.00%.

seriously, I think the thing I hate most about this game is there are too many great new ideas.

so when something comes along which I absolutely love, like the challenge boxes (among other things), I just want MORE and the game won't give them to me. :(

Yeah, especially the 8 and 10 level ones. Its like a marathon. And when you screw it, it's still so much fun to go back and try to figure out what you did since you only get like 10 seconds hehe

Zing

Banned
Also holy Christ, I just realized you can go inside koopa shells. That's awesome.
It sounds like you haven't sat and watched all four title screen demonstrations. Turn on the game, sit back and watch as it gives you subtle tutorials for many new aspects of the game.

Clockwork5

I am playing through with my eight-year-old daughter. We have yet to have our progress hindered by lack of stars. The only time I have seen star required is for end-world castle stages. Aren't all the others optional? I'm up to world five and I'm pretty sure the other stages with star requirements were optional. You should be able to find enough stars to progress through the game with minimal effort. If you are trying to play every single stage and unlock everything, then, yes, you would need a skilled partner.

I agree. It has not been much of an issue for my friends and I. Although I do go back and collect stars single player so we can continue next time we meet up. Wii U is soo good for game night. People (non-gamers) would either scoff or look confused when I said I got a Wii U... Now they are playing it on my couch every thursday!

Edited cause I can't read.

Zing

Banned
The fact of the matter is, no, we are not getting hindered by it. In fact, as of world 7, we have every star, every stamp and every gold flag. In my OP I was merely trying to posit that it was my opinion that the game would be more enjoyable for co-op without that as the focus of the game, much like the NSMB series.
But YOU are making it the focus of the game. The game itself says "meh, I assume you found 10 stars by now, come on into the castle." There is certainly nothing in the manual, story, or game forcing you to obsessively collect every stamp and star. :)

You do know there are more stars in those optional stages. It sounds to me like you are skipping them. Just go back and do those optional stages, they are fun regardless. You should be able to progress no problem with an average of two stars per course.
I am at world five and have almost every star and stamp. I think I'm missing three stamps and two stars. This is all with only replaying maybe three stages.

Timeaisis

Just got to World 6. This is easily my GOTY at this moment. Currently going through ALBW at the moment as well, so that's honestly the only game that might top it.

My favorite stages so far:

Double Cherry Pass
- The first time you play this with multiple people, it's insanity and immensely fun.
Beeb Block Skyway
- Also incredibly fun with multiple people. At first I was like
ugh a rhythm level
, but then I realized how fun it was.

The other 2 are in World 5, but I forget the names.
The one with the Sahara-theme where you get to be a cat on the prowl. :)
and
The one with the spotlights and the bullet bills
. So far I think World 5 has been my favorite. I've also enjoyed all the Plessie levels a lot (even though I think I've only played
at this point).

Looking forward to World 6, 7 and 8!

I love it when you play through levels and discover things you didn't before. I found a Cannon Box in Pipeline Lagoon and set out to destroy EVERYTHING.

denshuu

It sounds like you haven't sat and watched all four title screen demonstrations. Turn on the game, sit back and watch as it gives you subtle tutorials for many new aspects of the game.

I don't think Mario needs tutorializing. It's just a neat feature they added that's fun but pretty unnecessary. I'm basically done with the game.

Linkhero1

For people that have finished: how would you classify the difficulty? Does it scale in response to player count in any way?

I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm very close so my opinion may change after I complete the game. So far, I would rank this game as one of the easiest Mario games I've played. I don't think I've died much in the game since the levels tend to be pretty short. Being easy doesn't make the game any less fun, but it would have been nice to have a bit higher difficulty.

Kimosabae

Banned
I see posts like this and I think, "that person just needs to be honest with themselves and admit that they aren't really looking to buy another game."

(Following is not to be taken personally)

Sometimes it seems some are so jaded that they seek out any little nitpick that to cling to, so they can rationalize why they aren't playing what could be universally agreed is a game worth playing. I don't get it. Stop spending time on the Internet reading what other people are whining about, looking for every excuse to not be playing, and just play the damn games.

You're right, I am looking for a reason not to spend money on a WiiU and this game because I'm always looking at ways to save money. Money and time are limited and very valuable resources for me. I don't typically play games that aren't fighting games, but when I do: that I be challenged is of utmost importance to me. That's where I find value in playing video games - that they be challenging in some way. If the game isn't going to provide that value, I'm not going to feel compelled to spend money on it/ the Wii U system.

I'm sorry that seems to offend some of you.

Clockwork5

I love it when you play through levels and discover things you didn't before. I found a Cannon Box in Pipeline Lagoon and set out to destroy EVERYTHING.

Yeah on the trapeze level (world 5 I think) I skipped or didn't notice the giant mushroom power up (not sure how, its pretty obvious) but the second time through I grabbed it and gleefully began stomping on piranha plants.

Linkhero1

I'm only on World 6. Taking my sweet time.

As soon as I entered 5-7 and the music hit I was grinning from ear to ear. I'm enjoying the mix of new with a mix of old tracks.

Zing

Banned
I find myself blowing in every new area in every stage. Am I alone in this.

With NSMBU I used the remote exclusively. I started that way with this game, but once I reached the stage where blowing is introduced, I switched and haven't gone back. I really appreciate how touching the screen shows a hand on the TV where you touch. This means I can touch the screen without taking eyes off the TV.

Gh9aI1c.jpg

I dislike the blurriness in some of the levels :(
I can't recall, but does going into first person view eliminate the depth of field effect? It should if not, as you aren't looking through a camera lens then.

PogiJones

Banned
I dislike the blurriness in some of the levels :(

Pretty sure that's just depth of field blur, as you'd experience IRL with your eye or a camera. You dislike that?

I can't recall, but does going into first person view eliminate the depth of field effect? It should if not, as you aren't looking through a camera lens then.

There's no first person view... is there? IS THERE?!

Linkhero1

Pretty sure that's just depth of field blur, as you'd experience IRL with your eye or a camera. You dislike that?

I keep forgetting Mario is getting stalked by a Lakitu, but yeah I don't like it that much. I understand what they're trying to do but I just find it annoying.

I actually haven't tried if there is.

Oh god, there's another world after
Star World?
How much content does this game have?!

Also, that feeling you get at the end of Double Cherry Pass when you have five Marios.

Zing

Banned
Oops, sorry. I just realized that I haven't seen first person view, either. :D

I've been playing weeks of Twilight Princess and Lego City up until Friday. Forgive me for getting anyone's hopes up.

I find myself blowing in every new area in every stage. Am I alone in this.

With NSMBU I used the remote exclusively. I started that way with this game, but once I reached the stage where blowing is introduced, I switched and haven't gone back. I really appreciate how touching the screen shows a hand on the TV where you touch. This means I can touch the screen without taking eyes off the TV.

huh? theres a first person view?

lol. If there's not, then people will say it isn't needed. ;) But if it is there then it's fucking awesome.

Anteo

Oh god, there's another world after
Star World?
How much content does this game have?!

Also, that feeling you get at the end of Double Cherry Pass when you have five Marios.

I'm pretty sure there are 5 cherries there (so 6 character max in single player), one is in a
hidden block just before the mid-stage flag, near the clear pipes

The game isn't hard to get from point A to point B, but it's fairly difficult around world 4 if you're trying to get green stars/do things "properly."

Like you can blaze through any of the cherry levels no problem if you don't bother picking up any cherries. That seems way less fun, though.

Linkhero1

The game isn't hard to get from point A to point B, but it's fairly difficult around world 4 if you're trying to get green stars/do things "properly."

Like you can blaze through any of the cherry levels no problem if you don't bother picking up any cherries. That seems way less fun, though.

Ahh. The one cherry level with the slide. I kept dying because I didn't know which Peach to control. It's difficult with more clones.

Linkhero1

The one with the switching blocks (the ones that appear/reappear to the music) was giving me real left-brain/right-brain problems.

Tell me about it. I don't think I've died as much in any stage as I did in this one. Worst of all, to get the stamp you needed 3 clones. I always lost one or two before reaching that point so it was somewhat annoying.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The answer to the question "Is [name of any Super Mario game] difficult?" is 100% dependent on how competent you already are at Super Mario games. I mean, if you know how to play them, then you can already answer that question yourself.

Virtually every single game in the franchise is made to appeal to as many people as possible, with just a few extras thrown to dedicated players who really need a challenge. The only exceptions are Lost Levels and New Super Luigi U, which are slightly more difficult "second quests" of sorts of their respective predecessors. Beyond that, it's just a matter of how much you feel like challenging yourself with imposed rules.

NSMBU is likely the most appealing recent game if you're just looking for something difficult. The Challenge Mode was made precisely for that purpose, and it takes longer to 100% that than it does to 100% the story mode.

In related news, I 100%ed the final world of this game with every character, so if you want to see how difficult 3D World gets at the end-game you can just watch this.

Timeaisis

Tell me about it. I don't think I've died as much in any stage as I did in this one. Worst of all, to get the stamp you needed 3 clones. I always lost one or two before reaching that point so it was somewhat annoying.

Ah, I loved that level so much. Even though I died a lot. It's a lot easier with another person, as your bound to have at least 4 characters (clones or otherwise) after one of those slides. I think I died more on the
chainlink
stage and the
trapeze stage
(only because I was trying to reach
Captain Toad...who is oh, by the way in the top left corner of the second-to-last trapeze portion if anyone's wondering
. I'm not sure what it gives you for getting up there, though, as I'd got all 3 green stars and the stamp at that point.

PogiJones

Banned
I keep forgetting Mario is getting stalked by a Lakitu, but yeah I don't like it that much. I understand what they're trying to do but I just find it annoying.

I don't think they've had Lakitu's camera since 64, but either way, as far as I know there's not an optical device in existence--including your eyes--that doesn't blur things at a distance when it's focused on closer things. The lack of distance blur in video games is similar to the early lack of textures and shading on polygons: unrealistic quirk of the medium due to hardware and engine limitations. It's very unrealistic to see an object 5 feet away and an object 100 feet away both with perfect clarity.

That being said, you prefer what you prefer, and that's fine. Just wanted to point out that it's not a "camera effect" like lens flare; it's a "visual" effect of real life, regardless of the optical device.

lol. If there's not, then people will say it isn't needed. ;) But if it is there then it's fucking awesome.

I don't really see this as a double standard. Example: A Cat Suit isn't needed for Mario to be fun, as every previous Mario shows. But it's there in 3D World, and it's awesome.

Linkhero1

Ah, I loved that level so much. Even though I died a lot. It's a lot easier with another person, as your bound to have at least 4 characters (clones or otherwise) after one of those slides. I think I died more on the
chainlink
stage and the
trapeze stage
(only because I was trying to reach
Captain Toad...who is oh, by the way in the top left corner of the second-to-last trapeze portion if anyone's wondering
. I'm not sure what it gives you for getting up there, though, as I'd got all 3 green stars and the stamp at that point.

Oh God. The Trapeze stage took quite a bit of time until I managed. I kept dying in the same part near the flag pole. I haven't actually seen
Captain Toad
in that stage. Mind getting a screenshot?

I don't think they've had Lakitu's camera since 64, but either way, as far as I know there's not an optical device in existence--including your eyes--that doesn't blur things at a distance when it's focused on closer things. The lack of distance blur in video games is similar to the early lack of textures and shading on polygons: unrealistic quirk of the medium due to hardware and engine limitations. It's very unrealistic to see an object 5 feet away and an object 100 feet away both with perfect clarity.

That being said, you prefer what you prefer, and that's fine. Just wanted to point out that it's not a "camera effect" like lens flare; it's a "visual" effect of real life, regardless of the optical device.

The Lakitu reference was a joke. :p And I know all that, I just don't care for it in video games to be quite honest, especially in a Mario game.

Mitsurux

We don't mad dash. I feel the game could be more enjoyable if stars weren't required to get to the next areas but I realize this is mostly a personal preference. I think that should be for extras like hidden worlds.

I agree, i had the same feeling when playing Land on 3DS... bonus and extra/hidden stages fine... but for normal level progression i'm not a fan of it there...

(I think the difference is that you can complete a level without getting one.. unlike galaxy or 64 where they are given out and shown from the start as being required for game progression)

(just an opinion)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's the song that plays during Trick Trap Tower? I've only heard it during 2-3 levels I think, but it's really good.

Also, thanks NOA for hating soundtracks. Wish they would put it on Club Nintendo, would give me something other than VC games to spend coins on.

I don't really see this as a double standard. Example: A Cat Suit isn't needed for Mario to be fun, as every previous Mario shows. But it's there in 3D World, and it's awesome.
The first-person view is great in previous Mario games because it allows you to observe the level in detail, which is essential for navigating a 3D environment. But that may be more a testament to the simplicity of 3D World's levels than anything else. Still, it's a feature that should be in the game, as it was in all previous 3D Mario titles.

Linkhero1

Is the consecutive triple jump into a somersault not in this game? Like NSMBU?

If it is, I haven't been able to do it resulting in plenty of deaths.

The first-person view is great in previous Mario games because it allows you to observe the level in detail, which is essential for navigating a 3D environment. But that may be more a testament to the simplicity of 3D World's levels than anything else. Still, it's a feature that should be in the game, as it was in all previous 3D Mario titles.

I miss the first person view from the previous titles.

Top Bottom