• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

javac

Tha's a pretty sweet post-exam reward.

It would be but I have another exam next Wednesday as well as 2 coursework for the day after and another exam the next day. A final pieces of coursework for Friday 13th before I finish for this semester. Only then can I have peace :(

I'm on the last world already but didn't play the game much.

I wish it was more difficult, but I suppose you can say that about any Mario game.

I find the jumping more difficult in this one as opposed to the 3DS game. The 3D helps a lot for making jumps. Sure, you could use your shadow but the margin of error is higher I think.

Forkball

On World 5. Mount Must Rush... what an unexpected surprise. I don't care that I didn't get any green stars.

Also the 8 bit Luigis in the levels are hilarious. Is there one in every level? In the third world boss stage, you can see one running on the train track. In one of the stamp houses, you can see him peeking in the window, and he eerily withdraws as you exit.

I finally got around to playing this on Sunday night and I have to say that this is probably my GOTY now, and I've only completed up to the end of world 2.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yo, the bonus character makes the very final stage a joke.

I had to cheat death at the end just to keep it interesting.

boxter432

This is a yes or no question. I'm just starting world 5. Are there more powerups than I've seen thus far?

• Super Mushroom
  • Super Bell
  • Fire Flower
  • Double Cherry
  • Starman
  • Super Leaf
  • Boomerang Flower
EDIT: More:

• Mega Mushroom
  • Propeller Block
  • Coin Block
  • Cannon Block

EDIT 2: Ah, and the Goomba Mask too…

coin koopa shell: the gold shell on the beach level...maybe consider the ice skate as well

maxcriden

The game is really great. A ton of fun. It definitely feels like NSMBU in 3D, with a dash of SMB2 and endless creativity and innovation. At World
Castle
boss but
we need to get a bunch more green stars to unlock it.
So fun, this and Zelda have been amazing.

For people that have finished: how would you classify the difficulty? Does it scale in response to player count in any way?
It definitely gets harder as your progress through the game, and for the beginning there was enough to keep me entertained that I didn't mind it was easy. I'd say it's harder than both Galaxy games.

namDa65

Call me crazy... but I think I prefer NSMBU to this game. I think my expectations for this game were too high. The overly easy difficulty is negative for me :S. Favourite part of this game is the soundtrack and art style though :).

NSMBU was very easy as well

I will say I like this one better just based on the variety of the levels. I'm more motivated to collect stars in this one compared to coils in NSMBU. I also find the power-ups a little more fun to use as well.

Stars seem to be ridiculously short. The window for hitting enough enemies to get an 1-up is very tight in this game.

namDa65

NSMBU was very easy as well

I will say I like this one better just based on the variety of the levels. I'm more motivated to collect stars in this one compared to coils in NSMBU. I also find the power-ups a little more fun to use as well.

Stars seem to be ridiculously short. The window for hitting enough enemies to get an 1-up is very tight in this game.

I don't know man. I'm just plowing through 3d world. I'm at
mushroom world
while NSMBU I got wrecked at points. Are there challenge levels similar to NSMBU? I include NSLU in NSMBU as I count it as DLC.

I prefer NSMBU secrets. Anyone find that one in
world 1-2? Secret in a Secret

Another point I think gives NSMBU its edge is that it's room for improvement is much greater. Super plays done by highly skilled players are exciting to watch.

mushroom world
while NSMBU I got wrecked at points. Are there challenge levels similar to NSMBU? I include NSLU in NSMBU as I count it as DLC.

I plowed through both. NSL was ridiculously easy for me as well. I prefer the jump mechanics of NSM as it's closer to the original and super mario world. I just felt this game had better level design.

zroid

Banned
More mystery box stages please!!! That stuff is so fun and different

seriously, I think the thing I hate most about this game is there are too many great new ideas.

so when something comes along which I absolutely love, like the challenge boxes (among other things), I just want MORE and the game won't give them to me. :(

namDa65

I plowed through both. NSL was ridiculously easy for me as well. I prefer the jump mechanics of NSM as it's closer to the original and super mario world. I just felt this game had better level design.

Hmmm. I would still disagree, but we can agree both games are fairly enjoyable. ;P.

Kimosabae

Banned
Aww, it's considered easy? Was considering a WiiU purchase for this, but there's little I dislike more than an easy game. NVM, I guess.

*edit*

Didn't Nintendo hint at an increased difficulty after the first play through, or something like that?

Mini rant: I absolutely am having a blast with the game, but I feel like the focus on gathering the stars to open up levels (Some levels having an X number of stars requirement) makes playing with another individual an unpleasant experience. It's not ruining the game for me, but there are times when having more than one individual on a level makes the game much harder than it had to be. It makes playing with another person not as fun as playing solo and that makes me feel bad. I am playing with my fiancee but we are on two different skill levels. I played a large amount of SNES platformers like DKC and others while I was growing up, so I get through things easier than her. To have fun with the game while both enjoying it, we have to essentially say "We'll get through the level and get what we can get, but you'll probably have to play clean up later solo."

This seems like a failure on Nintendo's part. I don't believe a game like this should ever make me feel like that with my permanent player 2. I don't get that feeling playing the NSMB series because the coins are extra. They may unlock secret worlds and such but they don't play a part in the main game. We can just play through the game, have a great time and if we want to do extra, it's not affecting our progress. Overall I love this game, but that is a nagging feeling on my part.

Lastly, I'd like to ask a question for people who know about power-ups (I'm spoilering this because I don't know if everyone has encountered these):
What in the holy hell do the Goomba hat/suits do?

Air

Banned
Mini rant: I absolutely am having a blast with the game, but I feel like the focus on gathering the stars to open up levels (Some levels having an X number of stars requirement) makes playing with another individual an unpleasant experience. It's not ruining the game for me, but there are times when having more than one individual on a level makes the game much harder than it had to be. It makes playing with another person not as fun as playing solo and that makes me feel bad. I am playing with my fiancee but we are on two different skill levels. I played a large amount of SNES platformers like DKC and others while I was growing up, so I get through things easier than her. To have fun with the game while both enjoying it, we have to essentially say "We'll get through the level and get what we can get, but you'll probably have to play clean up later solo."

This seems like a failure on Nintendo's part. I don't believe a game like this should ever make me feel like that with my permanent player 2. I don't get that feeling playing the NSMB series because the coins are extra. They may unlock secret worlds and such but they don't play a part in the main game. We can just play through the game, have a great time and if we want to do extra, it's not affecting our progress. Overall I love this game, but that is a nagging feeling on my part.

Lastly, I'd like to ask a question for people who know about power-ups (I'm spoilering this because I don't know if everyone has encountered these):
What in the holy hell do the Goomba hat/suits do?

1. Play by yourself and get all the stars, than play again in co-op.
2. Goomba hats make enemies not notice you.

1. Play by yourself and get all the stars, than play again in co-op.
2. Goomba hats make enemies not notice you.

Ahh, thanks on number 2, I kept thinking of different things but then I'm like "Nope that didn't work".

As for the first one, that's all well and good but all of the media for this game has been promoting playing for 2 or more people. When a game like this comes out, we're going to want to play it together. That should be taken into account for playability.

FSLink

Banned
Ahh, thanks on number 2, I kept thinking of different things but then I'm like "Nope that didn't work".

As for the first one, that's all well and good but all of the media for this game has been promoting playing for 2 or more people. When a game like this comes out, we're going to want to play it together. That should be taken into account for playability.

The media really shows a lot of single player too. Though I don't see anything wrong with carrying them (like literally picking them up in-game) through various things to help them out. There's even some fun to be found like "hey, stand here so I can jump on your head to get this green star easier" and such. I find co-op to be tons of fun in trying to work together to get those green stars.

Even with all the praise, I didn't think I'd enjoy it THIS much. This truly is one of the best games I've ever played. This game alone makes the Wii U one of the best consoles I've ever owned. dear god, dat EAD Tokyo quality

I think the most fun you can have with any of these marios is playing multiplayer, but the goals have changed. trying to get your "friends" killed or doing it yourself is insanely fun.

this game co-op requires things like "patience" and someone listening to the dominate player. easier said than done

tbm24

I sympathize with your situation but honestly getting enough stars to progress shouldn't be hard,especially with a second person. You shouldn't be plowing through a level without any sort of exploration of your surroundings to at least get the initial easy star. This game is not like NSMB. Mad Dashing to the end shouldn't be be all you do.

tbm24

Even with all the praise, I didn't think I'd enjoy it THIS much. This truly is one of the best games I've ever played. This game alone makes the Wii U one of the best consoles I've ever owned. dear god, dat EAD Tokyo quality
It is really is an amazing game. Now I played the whole thing on the gamepad bus Mario while laying I'm bed is where its at, but visually the game is stunning to look at. People have a downer on the Wii U but the system can make beautiful looking games without breakinga sweat. Sonic U and W101 are also a testament to that.

I sympathize with your situation but honestly getting enough stars to progress shouldn't be hard,especially with a second person. You shouldn't be plowing through a level without any sort of exploration of your surroundings to at least get the initial easy star. This game is not like NSMB. Mad Dashing to the end shouldn't be be all you do.

We don't mad dash. I feel the game could be more enjoyable if stars weren't required to get to the next areas but I realize this is mostly a personal preference. I think that should be for extras like hidden worlds.

Zing

Banned
Aww, it's considered easy? Was considering a WiiU purchase for this, but there's little I dislike more than an easy game. NVM, I guess.
I see posts like this and I think, "that person just needs to be honest with themselves and admit that they aren't really looking to buy another game."

(Following is not to be taken personally)

Sometimes it seems some are so jaded that they seek out any little nitpick that to cling to, so they can rationalize why they aren't playing what could be universally agreed is a game worth playing. I don't get it. Stop spending time on the Internet reading what other people are whining about, looking for every excuse to not be playing, and just play the damn games.

zroid

Banned
OMG lol the
baseball
challenge box :lol :lol :lol

--

edit: also--

ipGcRoY4VHmEH.jpg

Zing

Banned
Mini rant: I absolutely am having a blast with the game, but I feel like the focus on gathering the stars to open up levels (Some levels having an X number of stars requirement) makes playing with another individual an unpleasant experience.
I am playing through with my eight-year-old daughter. We have yet to have our progress hindered by lack of stars. The only time I have seen star required is for end-world castle stages. Aren't all the others optional? I'm up to world five and I'm pretty sure the other stages with star requirements were optional. You should be able to find enough stars to progress through the game with minimal effort. If you are trying to play every single stage and unlock everything, then, yes, you would need a skilled partner.

Exile20

I see posts like this and I think, "that person just needs to be honest with themselves and admit that they aren't really looking to buy another game."

(Following is not to be taken personally)

Sometimes it seems some are so jaded that they seek out any little nitpick that to cling to, so they can rationalize why they aren't playing what could be universally agreed is a game worth playing. I don't get it. Stop spending time on the Internet reading what other people are whining about, looking for every excuse to not be playing, and just play the damn games.

I see alot of post like that.

They would bypass 99 post saying on great the game is then there is 1 that says something bad. That 1 person would be the reason they are not buying the console.

Berordn

I am playing through with my eight-year-old daughter. We have yet to have our progress hindered by lack of stars. The only time I have seen star required is for end-world castle stages. Aren't all the others optional? I'm up to world five and I'm pretty sure the other stages with star requirements were optional. You should be able to find enough stars to progress through the game with minimal effort. If you are trying to play every single stage and unlock everything, then, yes, you would need a skilled partner.

There are a few later on where you need a certain number of stars to open them, but the requirements aren't that high. As long as you've been collecting one or two a stage and doing the Captain Toad/Mystery House stages you'll be fine.

mackattk

I think the most fun you can have with any of these marios is playing multiplayer, but the goals have changed. trying to get your "friends" killed or doing it yourself is insanely fun.

this game co-op requires things like "patience" and someone listening to the dominate player. easier said than done

I have lost count of how many times I accidentally picked up my wife's character and threw her off the ledge. Damn run button.

prag16

Banned
mushroom world

Another point I think gives NSMBU its edge is that it's room for improvement is much greater. Super plays done by highly skilled players are exciting to watch.

For me NSLU was drastically more difficult than NSMBU. NSLU has some pretty tough level even before you consider the post game content, especially if going after all the star coins.

The fact of the matter is, no, we are not getting hindered by it. In fact, as of world 7, we have every star, every stamp and every gold flag. In my OP I was merely trying to posit that it was my opinion that the game would be more enjoyable for co-op without that as the focus of the game, much like the NSMB series. It doesn't ruin the game for me and I actually am having a blast with the game. It's definitely ranking up there in terms of best mario games for me. It was more supposed to be like saying "Guys, this game is the shit, but if I had to change one thing, I think this was done better in other games. What do you think?". That was the tone I was going for and I think that was misunderstood. I probably could have written it better.

Everyone here who has played knows this game is solid and is great fun.

Top Bottom