• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Actually this is EXACTLY the reason why they didn't include him in 3D World.

That would have been one incredible reward for the end of the game though. Beat the final level, unlock Yoshi as the "ultimate" character.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What the fuck I enter a pipe in a World 4 level and it skips me to World 5, noooooo, I want to do the whole World before leaving!

javac

I'm shaking with anticipation for this. I have an exam on Friday so it'll be nice to pick this up after a hard days work on Friday and go home to play some 3D World. Too bad I have too much coursework but once that is done I'm going to have a blast with this.

YEESSSSSSS

Of course, the first time I try after ranting about how impossible the level is is the time I beat it.

God, I hope I can beat it with the others when the time comes.

dc89

Pre-ordered the game this morning. My gf is going to pick it up on the way home from work on Friday. I'm really looking forward to is but she's more excited than me because I've got the PS4 coming!

Still can't wait to dive in to some two player with her, we were playing some NSMBU last night in sheer anticipation.

Nicktendo86

You guys are killing me. I've dropped subtle little hints to my wife that I want a WiiU and this game for Xmas, she just asked "isn't this on your Wii as well though?" so god know's what I'll end up with on Xmas day lol.

Roo

You guys are killing me. I've dropped subtle little hints to my wife that I want a WiiU and this game for Xmas, she just asked "isn't this on your Wii as well though?" so god know's what I'll end up with on Xmas day lol.
Eh... I wouldn't risk it. Just show her a picture of the console's box and the whole "U" thing. You'll thank me later.

javac

This is the true test. If she fails...well it's game over man. Game over.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

She could probably learn this if you told her? It's not difficult to go to a shop and say "I'd like to have two products: The Wii U NSMBU-package and Super Mario 3D World. I will only take these exact items and do not want to discuss any alternatives. Do you have these products?" This is what I'm doing when my girlfriend asks for something I have no idea about (also I try to find out what it is to ensure I don't buy something wrong, but until now this has always been optional).

For a while there I thought this game might be as good as Galaxy 2, but then I saw comparison footage with 3D World next to Galaxy 2, and I was reminded just how perfect that game is.

This game is still way way way way good though. Deserves every bit of praise it's getting.

PogiJones

Banned
For a while there I thought this game might be as good as Galaxy 2, but then I saw comparison footage with 3D World next to Galaxy 2, and I was reminded just how perfect that game is.

This game is still way way way way good though. Deserves every bit of praise it's getting.

I loved Galaxy 2, but it had one fatal flaw for me, as compared to Galaxy 1--All the launch star paths were already lit the first time you played the level. In Galaxy 1, you'd launch from a star and had no idea where you were going. It felt like you were flying through space at your whim. Galaxy 2's pre-lit paths broke the illusion, and you always felt like you were on rails.

I think the level design of Galaxy 2 was superior to Galaxy 1, but the music, production, etc. were all better in Galaxy 1. Furthermore, I think if we got 3D World, and then Galaxy or Galaxy 2 afterward, it would be a downgrade. But 3D World probably does not carry the revolutionary feel that Galaxy did.

I loved Galaxy 2, but it had one fatal flaw for me, as compared to Galaxy 1--All the launch star paths were already lit the first time you played the level. In Galaxy 1, you'd launch from a star and had no idea where you were going. It felt like you were flying through space at your whim. Galaxy 2's pre-lit paths broke the illusion, and you always felt like you were on rails.
I thought I was the only one who hated that! Yeah, that design choice really broke the sense of wonder for many of the levels. Also, agreed that the music wasn't as good as well.

I'd have to play 'em back to back, but as of right now for me it's: Galaxy > 3D World > Galaxy 2. 3D World has quickly become one of my favorite games ever.

Effect

Finally made it to world 3 and noticed the difficulty spiked. For as short as the levels are I'm finding myself spending more and more time in them and moving at slower pace then I expected. So used to playing 2D Mario lately I forgotten I had to adjust my style of play like I did for Super Mario 3D Land.

I also need to stop playing this so late. Since I got the game it's usually the last thing I do and play before heading to bed. However I'm so tired by that time. I did a level last night where I'm sure I fell a sleep a few times as I quickly woke up and I didn't remember at all how I got to the point I was at but I still had the cat suit power. So either I was in one place for a few seconds or I was playing the game, and well it seems, barely awake. That happen several times during that level too. The great music isn't helping me stay awake either. Need to make time to play this much earlier today.

On another note. Anyone have any idea of how this has been selling? Any anecdotal evidence?

Roo

On another note. Anyone have any idea of how this has been selling? Any anecdotal evidence?
Anecdotal of course but I went to my local Best Buy twice this weekend because I had to do some early Christmas shopping. The first day (Saturday) I noticed this huge Super Mario 3D World stand with lots of Wii U's.. Probably around 20-25 boxes and of course a lot of Mario games. Didn't get one since my budget was really tight. Anyway, I went there again yesterday and I intentionally headed to the games section just to see how much it sold expecting to see exactly the same amount of systems and games. To my surprise there were like 10 consoles and 5 games left. I was shocked because there was a soccer mom there trying to figure out if she was getting the right system her son asked for.
As a good samaritan and Wii U owner I talked to her and did Nintendo's job. She seemed pleased and took the console, 3D world and Pikmin 3.

Edit: she grabbed the NSMBU+NSLU bundle.

PogiJones

Banned
I thought I was the only one who hated that! Yeah, that design choice really broke the sense of wonder for many of the levels. Also, agreed that the music wasn't as good as well.

I'd have to play 'em back to back, but as of right now for me it's: Galaxy > 3D World > Galaxy 2. 3D World has quickly become one of my favorite games ever.

Yeah, Galaxy 2's music felt like it was trying to be a repeat of Galaxy 1's, and it just didn't work quite as well. It had some great tunes, but in Galaxy 1, almost every single song was a masterpiece.

It's why I'm so pleased with 3D World's music. Trying to be Galaxy didn't work for Galaxy 2, music-wise, so taking it in the big band direction was a brilliant move.

I think 3D World is overall the better game than Galaxy or Galaxy 2, but it's not as huge of a leap over its predecessors, so my first time playing Galaxy was probably superior to my first time playing 3D World. But that being said, 3D World really puts other contemporary games to shame. Looking in the screenshot thread, 3D World is pretty much the only one that embraces the fact that it's a game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This game is roughly 10x as good as SMG simply because it isn't a chore to replay stages.

If only I could never see a hub world ever again.

Anecdotal of course but I went to my local Best Buy twice this weekend because I had to do some early Christmas shopping. The first day (Saturday) I noticed this huge Super Mario 3D World stand with lots of Wii U's.. Probably around 20-25 boxes and of course a lot of Mario games. Didn't get one since my budget was really tight. Anyway, I went there again yesterday and I intentionally headed to the games section just to see how much it sold expecting to see exactly the same amount of systems and games. To my surprise there were like 10 consoles and 5 games left. I was shocked because there was a soccer mom there trying to figure out if she was getting the right system her son asked for.
As a good samaritan and Wii U owner I talked to her and did Nintendo's job. She seemed pleased and took the console, 3D world and Pikmin 3.

Edit: she grabbed the NSMBU+NSLU bundle.

If only there were one of you in each store to help people with this problem.

Anyway, the system seems to be selling better that's for sure, the only place I can ever find more than one console for sell is at HEB Plus, target, walmart, and other stores only seem be sold out.

zigg

This is a yes or no question. I'm just starting world 5. Are there more powerups than I've seen thus far?

• Super Mushroom
  • Super Bell
  • Fire Flower
  • Double Cherry
  • Starman
  • Super Leaf
  • Boomerang Flower
EDIT: More:

• Mega Mushroom
  • Propeller Block
  • Coin Block
  • Cannon Block

EDIT 2: Ah, and the Goomba Mask too…

This is a yes or no question. I'm just starting world 5. Are there more powerups than I've seen thus far?

• Super Mushroom
  • Super Bell
  • Fire Flower
  • Double Cherry
  • Starman
  • Super Leaf
  • Boomerang Flower

(I don't think I missed any...)
[*]
Super-Mega-Giant-Mario

Andrew.

Banned

• Super Mushroom
  • Super Bell
  • Fire Flower
  • Double Cherry
  • Starman
  • Super Leaf
  • Boomerang Flower

(I don't think I missed any...)

Did you find the
Propeller head? Theres one hidden behind a tree
in 3-1

Top Bottom