• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| - Everything You've Ever Dreamed Of

serplux

zebYeCQ.jpg

Developer: Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: NES, PlayChoice-10, SNES, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U
Size: 2 Mb
Price: $4.99/€4.99/£3.49
Release Date: May 16, 2013 (America, Europe)

Well, here it is, the long awaited sequel to the adventure that really changed the video game industry. It seems...quite a bit different. Good, but different.

Story:

One night, Mario had a strange dream. He found himself climbing a long staircase leading up to a mysterious door. Opening the door, Mario's eyes fell upon an incredible world unlike anything he'd ever seen. A quiet voice spoke to Mario, saying,

"Welcome to Subcon, the land of dreams. Our once-beautiful world now suffers at the hands of the evil Wart. Please help us! Only you can free us from his tyranny. Oh, and remember one thing: Wart hates vegetables."

However, before Mario could figure out what was happening, he suddenly awoke on his bed and realized that it was all a dream. The next day, while heading out to a picnic with his friends Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Toad, Mario told the tale of his strange dream. Hearing this was quite a shock to his friends, who all had the very same dream the night before.

Upon arriving at their picnic spot, the group noticed a small cave. Inside was a long staircase that led up to a door. At the top, the four friends opened the door and stood shocked by what they saw. It was Subcon - the world of their dreams!

Mario discovers that Subcon has been taken over by Wart, and that the events of his dream are true. Mario and co. are now on a quest to defeat Wart and restore peace to the dream world.

At the end of the game Mario, Luigi, Toadstool and Toad are seen being chanted on by the inhabitants of Subcon, who are carrying Wart across the room. Mario then wakes up and wonders about whether the events were really true or just a dream. He then continues sleeping and the game ends.

Screenshots:

oeof9ho.png
TLXYGJu.png
xZw27Zt.png

95eE9cS.png
528muXF.jpg
9tsY4Lz.jpg

Interview:

Wired: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/04/super-mario-bros-2/

Videos:

American Commerical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMFdeYwPEQQ
Japanese Commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YE6Zy1Xaiw
Speedrun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TlKmLiWcCo

Reviews:

Gamespot: 8/10
NintendoLife: 8/10

Artwork:

OP Note: SHAMELESS RIPOFFS ARE FUN AREN'T THEY

Sianos

Despite being so different from its predecessor, I've always enjoyed this game. <3

It's a quaint little title, unique in its own special way.

DaBoss

I don't own a Wii U, but just wanted to say this is my least favorite Mario platforming game. I'm outta here.
1291664255_obama-kiks2fj0p.gif

NES - $1.00
SNES - $1.50

Looking forward to Super Metroid and this on Thursday.

here's a question, does the wii u automatically detect if you've purchased these games before? for instance, if i log on to the eshop tomorrow, will it show a discounted price or is there a separate place i need to go to?

zroid

Banned
here's a question, does the wii u automatically detect if you've purchased these games before? for instance, if i log on to the eshop tomorrow, will it show a discounted price or is there a separate place i need to go to?

You just need to system transfer. If the games are on your Wii U in Wii Mode, then you'll be good to go.

daxy

Along with Super Mario World,
my favorite 2D Mario game, as much as you can count this as a Mario game anyway.

/runs

I appreciated that this game tried something different, but... yeah, I'm really, REALLY glad that the series didn't stick with that direction. >.>

TreIII

It's an oddball, but much like Zelda 2: AOL, it's actually on my top 30 list of all time fave games.

With all the "New" stuff Nintendo has done in the last few years, it's always boggled my mind that they never re-visited the 2/USA/DokiDoki formula.

NotLiquid

It's an oddball, but much like Zelda 2: AOL, it's actually on my top 30 list of all time fave games.

With all the "New" stuff Nintendo has done in the last few years, it's always boggled my mind that they never re-visited the 2/USA/DokiDoki formula.

6380430495_d5bc9822c2_z.jpg

I can forever dream ;_;

bryehn

Really? Awesome! Happy birthday to me! I beat this game when it first came out on a week I stayed home with chicken pox. Man, this game is the ultimate nostalgia for me. I know it inside and out.

Chopper

Is this already on 3DS in Europe? Or is it not and instead coming out on Wii U? Or is it not announced for Europe at all? I don't want NES games on Wii U. Virtual Console is confusing.

Just one question.

...Why is there a Timer in the corner? 8D
That was a mockup for a 3D Land sequel in the style of this game.

SMB2 is fucking sweet, maybe I'll pick this up. I never bought the Wii VC version so it'll be full price for me.

It's odd that they're releasing SMB2 before 1, which would make it awesome if they were hinting at something big for the next 3D Mario or something...

TreIII

That was a mockup for a 3D Land sequel in the style of this game.

SMB2 is fucking sweet, maybe I'll pick this up. I never bought the Wii VC version so it'll be full price for me.

Ahhh, I see.

Anyway, my idea for a "sequel/successor" to SMB2/USA has been the same since NSMBW came out. Now that we have the Koopalings and Junior acting together as a set, and each of them have different attributes that could work within the context of a platformer? Why not have them carry a successor to SMB2?

I mean, 8 different characters with different playstyles, ranging from the "Mario" (Junior), somebody with flutter-jumps (Ludwig), the heavies (Roy, Morton), expert swimmer (Wendy) and etc. This practically writes itself.

Give it some nice co-op, and this could easily be a new game that could give the NSMB series a nice rest for a couple of years on the Wii U or 3DS, I say.

Mario 2 may not be my favorite Mario game, but it was the first game I was ever all aboard the hype train for.

I asked for it for Christmas in '88 and as a 7 year old was losing my mind waiting for Santa to bring it.

Stayed up as late as I could to play too. Love the game til this day. Can't wait to download it on Friday.

Also, I found out years later that my parents ran around all over town to find me a copy. I wish I would be known enough to tell my pops "please understand" ;)

I have played this game many times, but never could finish it because I always got bored at some point. Still a decent game, though. Also the music of the first level has been stuck in my head since I clicked this thread, thanks OP. :|

ffdgh

Ahh how I loved to use peach and her floating ability...now if only nintendo would make her playable again for freaking once.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
As a Master System kid, this was the game I was most jealous about. My cousin had it and I just loved sleeping at her house just to play it.

Darryl

Banned
As a Master System kid, this was the game I was most jealous about. My cousin had it and I just loved sleeping at her house just to play it.

same here, something about this game just made me really jealous as a kid. it played super smooth and it felt like there was so much hidden stuff to explore when i did get to try it out. i've only managed to get just past Birdo. guess i'll have to pick this one up.

Grinchy

Banned
I love this game. I really have only ever used Peach. I'm shocked that people play any of the other characters, except switching to Toad for the sand digging levels.

Top Bottom