• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| - Everything You've Ever Dreamed Of

Kingven

I love this game. I really have only ever used Peach. I'm shocked that people play any of the other characters, except switching to Toad for the sand digging levels.

For me its luigi... cant play with any other.... Luigi FTW!! Would like to play a sequel with waluigi or wario.. or.. Bowser.. one can dream...

Grinchy

Banned
For me its luigi... cant play with any other.... Luigi FTW!! Would like to play a sequel with waluigi or wario.. or.. Bowser.. one can dream...

It's funny b/c right after I posted that, I started watching the speedrun in the OP and Luigi is just dominating the early levels. His jump just always felt so weird to me.

edit- and Toad runs faster when he's holding things?? Man, I really should have spent more time with the other characters when I was a kid. I thought Toad just picked things up faster.

The correct answer to "Who should I pick in SMB2?" is (if you're warping):

Toad on the early levels to suck up all the coins (alternate between B and A to win the slot machine), Princess on 4-1, Luigi everywhere else.

Boogiepop

So wait, are we getting this on 3DS now too? I kind of want to have all the NES Marios on the system, now that I already have 1 and Lost Levels on there...

So wait, are we getting this on 3DS now too? I kind of want to have all the NES Marios on the system, now that I already have 1 and Lost Levels on there...

I just checked the US e-shop on 3DS and could not find it.

It's probably out in another area or something. :(

RoadDogg

SMB2 is my favorite 2D Mario game and 2nd favorite NES game. But I can't bring my self to pay money for this yet again (even if it is $1) just for gamepad play.

FloatOn

I'd love it if the next 3d mario on wii u had a full cast of characters like this one.

Mario 2 is one of my favorite games on NES.

Eric C

IMO it looks like Nintendo is trying to avoid releasing duplicate games on the Wii U and 3DS until the later this year when the 3DS gets the Nintendo Network ID and MiiVerse.

That way nobody will accidentally pay full price twice for the same game. Or at least minimize those occurrences as best they can.

Mudron

Just one question.

...Why is there a Timer in the corner? 8D

Such a heartrending image should not exist. Now I too will be haunted forever with the hope of this game.

Because Super Mario 3D Land had a timer (this is supposed to represent what a sequel to 3D Land would be like if it were based off of Mario 2 rather than Mario 3.)

stuminus3

True story - because of the fact that Nintendo weren't really a big deal in Europe back then (home computers like the C64, Speccy, Atari ST, Amiga etc were all more common)... when SMB2 was released in the UK I actually had no idea the gameplay was 'different'. I knew fine well who Mario was because I used to play Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. in the arcades as a kid.

Terra

One of my most fine childhood memories. My father who then worked pretty far from home, once brought back Super Mario 2 after chasing it down all over. I had asked if he could keep an eye out for it. I must have been about 10 years old... He was not into video games at all, and did not understand anything.

Nowadays? He's 65 years old and bought himself a Wii two years ago.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
god damnit nintendo, its the year of luigi.

REVISIT THIS FORMULA AND MAKE VISUAL JOKES ABOUT IT WITH LUIGI AS THE STAR

javac

You can sail the seven seas and find
Love is a place you'll never see
Passing you like a summer breeze
You feel life has no other reason to be

You can wait a million years and find
That heavens too far away from you
Love's just a thing others do
What is love
Til it comes home to you

How does this game look on HD TVs? Did they do anything to make it look nicer like smooth out the pixels or anything, or does it essentially look like an NES ROM on the Wii VC?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
How does this game look on HD TVs? Did they do anything to make it look nicer like smooth out the pixels or anything, or does it essentially look like an NES ROM on the Wii VC?
SMW and VC games in general are better suited to the GamePad screen IMO (though you should listen to other people as I play all Wii U games that sllow it Off TV).

CDX

yep, I'll be purchasing this tomorrow

WD15Z5q.jpg

Guq6PXRl.jpg

Eric C

I wish the eShop updated after midnight.

I'm going to have to wait until later in the evening tomorrow to buy this.

Mitsurux

Great game, back in the day the "drastic change" didn't really seem that big of a deal, and in fact, i ended up beating SMB2 before i ever fully completed SMB1....

Something about the varitey of the levels (free scrolling), and the difference between the characters really made this one stand out...

Great Music too (Loved how when you paused the game you got a stripped down version)

CDX

It's up on the eShop.

Last week I upgraded SMW for $1.50. So since I didn't pay full price I wondered if I'd still get the discount.

YEP, Got it for $2.49.

This was my first NES game ever along with Megaman, and obviously my first Mario, so I guess I hold it in higher regard than most people. I recognize the main Mario gameplay is superior, but it's still quite sad that we didn't get ANY Mario games in this style (or Doki Doki Panic sequels), while we have a truckload of regular Mario games.

RM8

My love for this game. Oh man.

I loved it on NES, then on SNES, then on GBA, then on Wii. Easily the game I've completed the most times (along with Street Fighter II). I pretty much have it memorized. Love it, still my favorite 2D platformer.

Peach > Toad > Mario > Luigi, for me. But I've completed it with everyone :p

Anyone else Wii U hard locking when trying to go from this game to the main plaza? It seems to be doing the same thing bit.Trip Runner was doing.

Eusis

So it should be 50 cents?

Checking now.

Hmm. Says $1.00. Ah well. Bought.
Waiting a bit then. I was hoping it'd be a 50 cent upgrade for those that already owned it, but at a full dollar I can wait until I burn off the rest of my credit on 30 cent games.

Megatron

I think this game gets unfairly criticized. It will always have a special place in my heart. I too bought it today as part of the World deal (bought World at the same time) I have always wanted to try the original game though.

Tizoc

I have a question about JP Super Mario Bros. 2-
Is it true that the Poisons and Regular Mushrooms had the same sprite or was that a hoax?

Top Bottom