• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Started playing RDR and it's great so far but I'm itching to go back to collecting stars. :lol

Ugh, my Dolphin's messing up. Trying to take pictures in fullscreen mode gave me 640x480 pics. I took a bunch of pictures, too. :( However, I did take a couple while in Windowed mode, and while they're not even 720p, or that good, I'll post them anyway.

I think they're both from World 5. One might be from 6, I forgot :(
http://i50.tinypic.com/mc8cvc.png
http://i47.tinypic.com/t890z5.jpg

By the way, the Octoroks are the most annoying enemies in the game to me for some reason. (Yes, I know they're not called octoroks, but they're called octo-something, and they spit rocks.)

Edit:
More pictures, 720p here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21500856&postcount=568

Teknoman

Just get your friends to play a few stages. Just like NSMB wii or Mario Kart, you wont be able get them away from the controller.

Fuu said:
Started playing RDR and it's great so far but I'm itching to go back to collecting stars. :lol
Balancing this and RDR has been impossible

I'm tempted to put one down to just focus the other but then I can't decide which.

Caoz

Just bought the game from amazon. I don't even have a Wii anymore :lol Sold it shortly after finishing Galaxy 1.

I do have a dolphin. Hopefully it will work with it on my PC setup.

Else will have to borrow a Wii from someone.

Gotta play the sequel to my all time favorite game. :D

Platy

For people complaining about the boss cutscenes .... they all can be skipped after the first watch (like .. if you die) just by pressing A

zigg

GaimeGuy said:
Daredevil Boomsday Machine was awesome.

Yes, yes it was. All of Bowser Jr. was awesome, really.

fireside said:
You know what would have been an awesome prankster comet?

Boss Blitz
Daredevil Comet.

I think the speed-run worked pretty well here. I seem to randomly get hit by
Major Burrows, mainly on his last phase when I try to spin him but he starts diving
and dunno if I'd be able to reliably avoid
Fiery Dino Pirahna's blinking tail.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ShockingAlberto said:
Balancing this and RDR has been impossible

I'm tempted to put one down to just focus the other but then I can't decide which.
I'm a few hours in and yeah, pretty much. I'm trying to take Galaxy a bit slower since I got the first 120 so quickly but I wish I had two heads and four hands right now.

zigg said:
Major Burrows, mainly on his last phase when I try to spin him but he starts diving
IA. I'm also happy they went with a
speedy comet for the fire version of Gobblegut instead of daredevil

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the hate for the bird and spring mario make me feel superior to everyone else.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Platy said:
For people complaining about the boss cutscenes .... they all can be skipped after the first watch (like .. if you die) just by pressing A

Yup its the same with the galaxy intro scenes.

fireside

zigg said:
Perhaps, but could you imagine the frustration going on in this thread if it happened? It'd be delicious.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
autobzooty said:
113 stars in. I'm almost there!

I hope the 120 star bonus is enough to make me feel less depressed that the game is over :(

Knowing the surprise, this makes me laugh.

How are the ghosts? I have yet to do one.

Johnas

ReyVGM said:
Somehow I'm not feeling the soundtrack as much as the first one.

I really am not either. I do like the hub tune though, and the Yoshi Galaxy track (the second galaxy) has really grown on me. Of course the tunes lifted from Super Mario World are still prime.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fuu said:
IA. I'm also happy they went with a
speedy comet for the fire version of Gobblegut instead of daredevil
I was really afraid of that happening. That would have been impossible.

Nabs

@ about 98 stars here. i'm gonna have to find a way to stack lives, because a few of these galaxies make me want to break shit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
idwl said:
What are you guys' favorite track? I love starship mario, I love it even more than gusty gardens. So amazing
I've said it once, I'll say it again: Melty Monster, especially when listened to by itself, is raw musical mana from heaven.

clav

Platy said:
Not after a gameover especially annoying when you're doing the
Throwback Boss Blitz galaxy. The ghost boss will eat all your time.

You also have to trigger all five god damn boss fights.

fireside said:
You know what would have been an awesome prankster comet?

Boss Blitz
Daredevil Comet.

I was actually wanted this instead of the original. That would have made the star challenge soooo much easier.

23 lives later I finally have beaten the prankster comet level
Shadow Marios in Chompworks Galaxy
in World 4.

Sweet jesus that was a pain. Partly because I didn't know how the bad guys moved.

Doorman

"Beat the game" a little while ago, and collected a few more stars to bring it up to 88 so far. I wasn't sure at first, but this game is slowly but steadily climbing the ranks of my favorite gaming experiences. Will it give my top group a run for its money? For that, I have to see how the rest of the game pans out and how well it stands up over time. Replayability has been a big thing for me in determining my personal all-time-favorites list, which is something that Galaxy 1 surprisingly lacked for me.

I will say, though, that the last Bowser level felt like kind of a letdown to me compared to the last Bowser level in SMG. There were one or two good parts, but the rest of it just felt kind of "eh, let's remind you of what you've done in the game with simple versions of several gimmicks you used already." The last fight was disappointingly easy too, despite a little bit of wtf-ness for the very last part. I didn't even get to hear the supposedly-amazing music because it was over so quickly. :(

For some reason, the more linear feel in Galaxy 1 compared to SM64 and Sunshine left me feeling a little disappointed, but for some reason that same focused approach this time around is gelling with me much better. It doesn't even make sense to me from a logical standpoint, but I'll take it.

I don't know how many stars I did today, but 120 done. Now
3 more in the very first stage too, not sure I like the idea of scavenger hunt stars as much.

Game has some fantastic moments, and some of the really late stages get decently evil.
Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos, talking about laughing at the the people who had trouble with the original. "Oops, now you'll have to get all the coins! And you're being chased by Cosmic Clones! And you're still timed! And you've got to leave a path back to the star! Have fun!

Question about one of the later levels,
is there something I'm missing in Boss Blitz? The icon on the map seems to have an extra glow.
I thought it may relate to the
gems mention
, but now that I've gotten 120 stars I see otherwise.

BowieZ

Banned
idwl said:
What are you guys' favorite track? I love starship mario, I love it even more than gusty gardens. So amazing
Favorite, singular?

Impossible. I just sat there trying to figure out my Top 5 and I still couldn't do it.

So I'll say Cosmic Cove cos it's not like the rest.

Odrion

Banned
Just got to world 3.

Man, shit got epic near the end of world 2. Wow. :lol

I always get bummed out at the galaxies that seem to be made out of wooden blocks. I usually LOVE the gameplay hook they have in each one, but aesthetically it's kinda boring and feels like they were literally pieced together by those pieces of wood.

That flip/switch galaxy was clever.

Forgot if it was the same in Galaxy 1, but having your lives reset when you quit is pretty neat and adds more value to those 1ups.

I really like the downsized hub and how the world map works. Stuff like this shows the trend of this generation: The developers studying what made the first game right and wrong and working towards a more refined product.

Dan

I'm surprised by the people having trouble with the
Boss Blitz prankster
. I managed to beat it my first time with 30 seconds left. Maybe I just got lucky.

I'm up to
165 stars
. I don't like how the intro galaxy videos sometimes reveal
where the green stars are
. That should have been changed.

Kulock said:
Game has some fantastic moments, and some of the really late stages get decently evil.
Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos, talking about laughing at the the people who had trouble with the original. "Oops, now you'll have to get all the coins! And you're being chased by Cosmic Clones! And you're still timed! And you've got to leave a path back to the star! Have fun!
This time the timer stops though. There's no racing back within the time limit to get the star.

Odrion

Banned
Oh, and it's awesome how many bosses there are now. And I really like their idea of the two-tier boss battle, they go easy on you until you find out how to hurt it once, then it becomes more difficult and you need to attack it a couple more times.
Some of those boss battles are kinda fucked up though. Murdering cute armadillos, killing the baby bug on the mother bug and see her go into rage over the loss of her cub, etc.
What's more fucked up is that this time you're not really even fighting bowser's army, you're just exploring galaxies and fucking up everyone's day, taking their beautiful stars as fuel. Man, Mario's a psychopath.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Took an HD screenshot.

slCUK.jpg

It's my new wallpaper.

Dan

Odrion said:
Oh, and it's awesome how many bosses there are now. And I really like their idea of the two-tier boss battle, they go easy on you until you find out how to hurt it once, then it becomes more difficult and you need to attack it a couple more times.
Some of those boss battles are kinda fucked up though. Murdering cute armadillos, killing the baby bug on the mother bug and see her go into rage over the loss of her cub, etc.
What's more fucked up is that this time you're not really even fighting bowser's army, you're just exploring galaxies and fucking up everyone's day, taking their beautiful stars as fuel. Man, Mario's a psychopath.
When do you fight
armadillos
? I don't remember that.

Doorman

idwl said:
I haven't gotten an uninterrupted listen through the whole soundtrack yet, but the early frontrunner for me right now is Puzzle Plank's music. It's very easy to remember which keeps it in my mind more than some of the more sweeping orchestral pieces, but it still has that instrumental touch thanks to the addictive fiddle. It does what the Purple Coins theme in the first SMG did for me, combining the orchestration and more traditional "techno-ish" elements into a singular, fast-paced, easy to remember song. Such a great musical pick-me-up.

Once I get more time with the rest of the soundtrack, I'm sure it will endear itself to me just as much as the first game's did. This really is some of the best musical work in modern gaming, at least from what I've heard.

EDIT:
Dacvak said:
Took an HD screenshot.

[picture]

...those star bits look delicious. Nintendo needs to team up with a candy company or something and make little gummi-star bits. I would buy them by the crate.

Vanille

Odrion said:
Forgot if it was the same in Galaxy 1, but having your lives reset when you quit is pretty neat and adds more value to those 1ups.

Yeah, it was like that in the original. It's a great feature, and is certainly a step up from NSMB Wii where you have like 30 lives at the start of World 2 and never have to worry about dying for the rest of the game.

Top Bottom