• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Mejilan said:
I put something like an insane 10 hours into the game on Sunday and shut down at the very beginning of World 5 with exactly 70 stars. It's been a hectic week, so my brief stint with the game last night was the first time I was able to return to it since that crazy-awesome Sunday marathon.

Now I'm at 88 stars, with worlds 1-3 fully completed, and just 1 prankster comet star shy of having fully completed both worlds 4 and 5. (The prankster comets have yet to spawn, so tonight I'll be moving on to world 6). Game's fucking brilliant so far.

If SMG1 successfully applied some classic 2D Mario platforming and familiar mechanics to a 3D Mario for arguably the first time, SMG2 takes that to the nth degree of brilliance. I'm so happy that they've basically killed off the bullshit adventuring of SM64 and SMS to focus exclusively on insane platforming, dazzling acrobatics, and an incredible array of power-ups and related gimmicks. It truly is a combination of SMB3, SMW, and YI in full 3D. SMG1 was a massively significant step in the right direction. SMG2 is an unabashedly joyful leap way farther in that same awesome direction.

I enjoy that thrown in the mix as well.

rhino4evr

Comet challenges started showing up for me around 25 stars and 13 medals...

Im not sure how the medals work in conjunction with the challenges...has anyone ever gotten a prankster challenge on a level where they havent collected the comet medal?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
zigg said:
An interesting co-fact: the medals don't seem to be one-to-one with the comets. There aren't comets in every galaxy. I was a little stunned at this since I thought there was...

Further testament to the fact that this game is edited to near-perfection.

I noticed that. I believe having more coins increases the odds that a prankster comet will spawn, or increases the overall number of prankster comets that will spawn throughout the game. Or both.

I have one star left and I'm in a similar boat. It never ends.
I 242'ed SMG1, and I look forward to doing the same (or however many stars there are in total) with SMG2. But since the back-end isn't a carbon copy of the front-end, ala SMG1, I'll likely do it much faster. Perhaps even immediately. I got Mario's 120 coins when SMG1 first came out. Then last summer I revisited the game and got Luigi's 121 followed immediately by Mario's 121st. If the game manages to keep up the awesome, I'll probably go for every single SMG2 star in this run.

Then move on to NSMB Wii, which I've ignored since the day it came out. Surprising, considering how much of a pleasant surprise the DS game was to me.

Mejilan

Gillian Seed said:
I enjoy that thrown in the mix as well.

Hey, I love my adventure games. Zelda? Ys? Yes please, can I have some more?
I just didn't appreciate 3D Mario's attempts at it all that much, especially considering how much better 3D Zelda did it not long afterwards.

That's why I enjoyed SMG1 so much. It was, up to that point, the closest we ever got to 2D Mario mechanics in a modern-looking 3D game. SMG2 takes it even further!

Bentendo

I know I asked this before but no one replied
:(
. So, was the first Sky Station Galaxy theme also in Galaxy 1 or am I just imagining things?

Mejilan

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, any advice for the
second fireball crate game
in world 5? I can't seem to get a pattern down.

Keep in mind that the fireball pierces and persists. One well-aimed shot can take out an entire horizontal row or vertical column of crates. From the starting position, I shot one straight ahead (don't touch the control stick) to take out the ones in the direct center. Then I proceeded to the very bottom of the screen, left-most crate, and shot straight up. Move right and shoot up. Move right and shoot up. Double-sets of crates can be taken out with one fireball in their direct center. Double-set columns/rows as well, obviously.

Cleared it on my second try with 4 seconds to spare. No sweat.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is anyone playing this game in Dolphin? I haven't seen one 1080p screenie yet.

Also, I really gotta stop reading spoilers. I'm on star
, yet there are people beyond me, somehow.

Kard8p3

Dacvak said:

I found this screen in the dolphin thread

jordanlikesvagina-1.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mejilan said:
Keep in mind that the fireball pierces and persists. One well-aimed shot can take out an entire horizontal row or vertical column of crates. From the starting position, I shot one straight ahead (don't touch the control stick) to take out the ones in the direct center. Then I proceeded to the very bottom of the screen, left-most crate, and shot straight up. Move right and shoot up. Move right and shoot up. Double-sets of crates can be taken out with one fireball in their direct center. Double-set columns/rows as well, obviously.

Cleared it on my second try with 4 seconds to spare. No sweat.
Worked like a charm. Thanks!

I'm loving Lubby's commentary as you add powerups to the engine room.

Dacvak said:

I don't think there's music when using Dolphin...so it's not worth it for me at least.

Bentendo

Does this game remind anyone else of Pikmin 2? Specifically in the backgrounds department? In that game there were some wicked (
haha... wicked.
) backgrounds in the underground segments and the same applies here to several of the stages (the one that comes to mind the most is the
final Bowser stage, which just features huge pillars inside a castle in the background
). Some of the backgrounds just don't make any sense but really give off a Pikmin 2 vibe which I <3

Mejilan

The_Technomancer said:
Worked like a charm. Thanks!

I'm loving Lubby's commentary as you add powerups to the engine room.

My first attempt ended in miserable failure. I wasn't even close, and almost moved on.
Then I realized that the fireballs were piercing the crates through and through, and that they were laid out like a grid. I smiled when I saw, halfway through my second attempt, that this would be one of the easiest stars in the game!

With the right approach. :D

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mejilan said:
My first attempt ended in miserable failure. I wasn't even close, and almost moved on.
Then I realized that the fireballs were piercing the crates through and through, and that they were laid out like a grid. I smiled when I saw, halfway through my second attempt, that this would be one of the easiest stars in the game!

With the right approach. :D
Yeah, I had the right idea, but I was trying to systematically take them out radially from the center, and it was hard to get the angles all right. Just going to the bottom and shooting right up was faaaaar easier.

EDIT: Melty Monster Galaxy: SWEET JESUS WHAT IS THIS!?

Mejilan

WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY?
Why did I just have to rescue this thread from page 2!?

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I had the right idea, but I was trying to systematically take them out radially from the center, and it was hard to get the angles all right. Just going to the bottom and shooting right up was faaaaar easier.

Yep, that how I totally whiffed my first attempt as well! :D

Maybe I'll take some 1080p pics in Dolphin. Do I need to update it or something beforehand?

(But I need to turn off the game so that I could dump it... It'll be the first time I turn off the Wii since I got the game. :lol)

HK-47 said:
Any tips for PCs on Tall Trunk and Flip Swap? Swap in particular. Unlearning behavoir is tough.
Sorry, but I actually didn't find these to be too hard. All I can say is that, you'll get it eventually. Even the most difficult parts of this game, you'll complete it within 30 or so tries. :lol

By the way, I hate scratching my face in the middle of Flip Swap galaxy.

Zing

Banned
I avoided this thread before release because I didn't want any spoilers, so someone may have mentioned this.

My wife played last night while I was P2. She quit while she still had 14 lives left. Today, I get on my save and get a "mysterious letter" from mailtoad containing 14 1ups from the other save! Heh.

I have been trying to listen more closely to the music and it definitely grows on you. I can see myself listening to this OST just as much as SMG1. The Bowser Jr level music is awesome.

Mejilan

HK-47 said:
Any tips for PCs on Tall Trunk and Flip Swap? Swap in particular. Unlearning behavoir is tough.

Flip switch is all about NOT using the mid-air spin as a jumping crutch.
It's literally better to take the death than give in to the temptation to spin.
You'll still die, but at least you'll train yourself to suppress the spin training, so to speak.

The slide one is actually pretty easy if you remember to use small motions with the control stick and recognize the areas where there are two simultaneous tracks of coins to get. One is almost always a single file of coins, the other dual-stacks. It's clear which you should be shooting for. Also, if you bork a jump, spinning CAN actually save you here, surprisingly.

Lol, I was dumping the game, and the name on the game stored on disk is "Super Mario Galaxy More". I guess that sums it up nicely. :)

Buckethead said:
I hate that fat purple monstrosity.

"Why don't you take a break captain?"
WHY DONT YOU GO TO HELL
When it's really late/early in the morning, he also passive aggressivly insinuates that you should go t bed. But I don't wanna go to bed, purple thing!

He also nicely tells you when your Wii Remote batteries are running low. He worries that you'll be in a dangerous place when they die. Also, talk to him when you get 77 stars.

Kard8p3

Wu-Gambino said:
lol, none

but it cant be the greatest game ever, are you guys just hyping it or is this serious

i might have to buy it

Well honestly it's too early to really say if it's the greatest game ever but it's definitely one of them. The level design is just so crazy and they're almost always throwing something new into the mix.

Mejilan

Why would you do that? said:
He also nicely tells you when your Wii Remote batteries are running low. He worries that you'll be in a dangerous place when they die. Also, talk to him when you get 77 stars.

He'll also tell you to take it easy if you die a lot in quick succession trying to get a star.
And I think he has something to say if you approach him with 777 star bits. Or was it 777 coins?

I am thinking that a big reason why I like this game better is the world map. Rosalina's ship was kinda annoying to me in the first game, and I didn't really feel like I could skip around levels so easily. To be fair, Sunshine also gave me that feeling.

However, with the world map, and every galaxy laid out in front of you, it's much easier to get done what you need to get done. The world map promotes jumping in levels more, I think.

Mejilan said:
He'll also tell you to take it easy if you die a lot in quick succession trying to get a star.
And I think he has something to say if you approach him with 777 star bits. Or was it 777 coins?
Hmm, should try that, for kicks.

If you defeat a hard galaxy, such as the
last one (wall jumping one)
, he also congratulates you.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I hate the GameSpy's reviewer. Not because of the rating, I haven't played this game yet, but criticizing it for being to diificult... I can't imagine how it could possibly be remotely too difficult. I don't want reviewers to push for a laughable degree of difficulty.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Buckethead said:
I hate that fat purple monstrosity.

"Why don't you take a break captain?"
WHY DONT YOU GO TO HELL
:lol :lol

I love Lubba and his wisecracking nature.

Lol.. are people joking or what? Are there really 120 more stars after you get all the stars?

that seems too good to be true so i'm guessing it is :p

rhino4evr

HK-47 said:

Tall Trunk is really about learning the course. Don't use too many sudden movements. Be Gentle. You only have to get 100 out of 140..so dont stress when you miss a few, just keep focusing. You'll get it eventually. I got 98, 97, several times even 99 once which was frustrating, but when I won I had 105.

Flip Swap is ALL about taking your time. Even though you are timed, you are given plenty to spare. I didnt rush it and I still had 40 seconds reaminging. The first 20 stars can be gotten pretty quickly using long jumps..but once you get to the Chomps..take your time. If you have to switch back and forth to avoid the Chomps do so. It just takes patience and practice...

Top Bottom