• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

vazel

Banned
fireside said:
You know what would have been an awesome prankster comet?

Boss Blitz
Daredevil Comet.
That's what I thought the comet was going to do to that level. When I first played that level I was nervous about how I was going to pass the last boss who is on fire. The time trial was really good though. It taught me how to quickly kill the rock-ghost boss. Before I used to keep my distance but then I discovered that the key to beating him fast is to stick really close so when he throws ghost rocks at you you can quickly hit him with them and his fists won't get in the way.

Link Man

Banned
Well, defeated Bowser earlier,
that was quite the surprise at the end.
I have to agree with the person saying that the level leading up to that was a bit underwhelming, though.

And I'm glad to see that they took a page out of the NSMBWii book for the credits.

Meohsix

disappointed =(
%100 end game spoilers
after collecting all 240 stars
you unlock a new galaxy
after you get the 2 stars from that galaxy
you know what happens?
rosalina joins the faceship and says "thanks" and that's it
collecting all 120 green stars was not worth it at all

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Feep said:
Man.

I need a new computer.
Don't get too depressed. I got that screenshot, but by no means is it comfortably playable. I I get around 45fps.

I don't think anybody is able to play Galaxy 2 on dolphin perfectly yet.

Odrion

Banned
George said:
disappointed =(
%100 end game spoilers
you unlock a new galaxy
you know what happens?
There's only so much endgame stuff they can give you.

zigg

If I ever felt superior because I think Fluzzard controls like a dream and Spring Mario presents a delightful new way of getting around, I have been absolutely humbled at star 242. Goddamn have I been at this one a long time. Keep getting knocked out in the fourth segment.

...love it, by the way. :D I think my daughter was getting a bit bored playing Co-Star though. :lol

vazel

Banned
George said:
disappointed =(
%100 end game spoilers
you unlock a new galaxy
you know what happens?
It's post-game content what did you expect. I suspected the payoff would be small which is why I'm taking a break from the game. I'll collect all the green stars when I'm done playing through a few games from my backlog.

SaintZ

50 stars in and I just defeated the 3rd World Boss. So far, awesome :D I thought the purple coins in the tree slide of doom were going to be a pain in the ass but I got the star after my third try with Luigi. I really like how Starship Mario becomes more lively the more you progress and the letters from Rosalina are a good touch too. Oh and I hate Rock Mario :lol

fireside

Odrion said:
Oh, and it's awesome how many bosses there are now. And I really like their idea of the two-tier boss battle, they go easy on you until you find out how to hurt it once, then it becomes more difficult and you need to attack it a couple more times.
Some of those boss battles are kinda fucked up though. Murdering cute armadillos, killing the baby bug on the mother bug and see her go into rage over the loss of her cub, etc.
What's more fucked up is that this time you're not really even fighting bowser's army, you're just exploring galaxies and fucking up everyone's day, taking their beautiful stars as fuel. Man, Mario's a psychopath.
I was thinking the same thing with the boss fights. :lol

AniHawk

so i played the first level of the first world today and i thought it was a good start. this kid came up to the kiosk and i swear i was going to hand the controller off, but he just picked up a copy from the stack of games to the side and left with his grandma.

according to amazon, my copy is in transit and just arrived at somewhere today at 5:00.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
George said:
disappointed =(
%100 end game spoilers
you unlock a new galaxy
you know what happens?

lol really? What more do you want? The reward for 120 was amazing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vanille said:
Yeah, it was like that in the original. It's a great feature, and is certainly a step up from NSMB Wii where you have like 30 lives at the start of World 2 and never have to worry about dying for the rest of the game.

Your avatar looks like some brown insect is trying to devour that girl's head...

semiregular

Neo Member
DSCF4104.jpg

Game get!

I'm so tempted to watch the DVD right now, but I know I should wait until I finish the game...
Already in world 4, and it's so awesome! Every stage is so fresh and original. My mom was having fun with the 2p too. The 2p pointer, chico carrying stuff and starpieces flying toward me all together at the same time can get quite distracting from time to time though.

Just got 120 stars.

jesus, there are like a million more stars to get now :lol

I got the first one on the first level, so am I to believe that all of them are just scattered around the levels hidden? and I guess if I get them all I'll unlock the final level of World S? There's room for one more level if I look on the zoomed out map. And if I beat that level I'll unlock Super Mario Galaxy 3?

Nicktals

Banned
autobzooty said:
Just got 120 stars.

jesus, there are like a million more stars to get now :lol

I got the first one on the first level, so am I to believe that all of them are just scattered around the levels hidden? and I guess if I get them all I'll unlock the final level of World S? There's room for one more level if I look on the zoomed out map. And if I beat that level I'll unlock Super Mario Galaxy 3?

Yeah, they're pretty much scavenger hunt stars. Some are quite good. Many are pretty modest. I've gotten about 40 of them, and I'm still a bit mixed. But, really, it is a pretty awesome reward, and some of them are pretty great.

Kard8p3

George said:
disappointed =(
%100 end game spoilers
you unlock a new galaxy
you know what happens?

so after getting all 120 stars you unlock the ability to collect 120 more stars then after that you unlock one final level which completely destroys the 240 star reward in the original. All of this is great and it's not like they can just keep giving you rewards because it eventually (unfortunately) has to end.

fernoca

Yeah..it took me 71 stars, 12:36 minutes to finish the game..which is on par with most games this days and in many cases after those games end..they only give you alternate costumes and harder difficulty settings to play the same game..

Yet, this one..give you..more and more..after finishing it..so how's that disappointing? Because the game is not infinite? :p

fernoca said:
Yeah..it took me 71 stars, 12:36 minutes to finish the game..which is on par with most games this days and in many cases after those games end..they only give you alternate costumes and harder difficulty settings to play the same game..

Yet, this one..give you..more and more..after finishing it..so how's that disappointing? Because the game is not infinite? :p

I haven't gotten 120 yet(I am around 110) but I couldn't take it anymore and saw the final reward and it's way better than I could have asked for or guessed and if people think it's disappointing, their standards and respect for the developers is.

Meohsix

Odrion said:
There's only so much endgame stuff they can give you.
vazel said:
It's post-game content what did you expect. I suspected the payoff would be small which is why I'm taking a break from the game. I'll collect all the green stars when I'm done playing through a few games from my backlog.
HK-47 said:
lol really? What more do you want? The reward for 120 was amazing.

no hat mode, a celebration galaxy like in the first one, 99 lives, the powerup from galaxy 1 that lets you fly,
ANYTHING would have been better then "thanks"

George said:
no hat mode, a celebration galaxy like in the first one, 99 lives, the powerup from galaxy 1 that lets you fly,

None of your spoilers are very gratifying but I guess you want some awesome non-game end sequence.

The only thing right now I could think of being better than the reward as it is is a playable Miyamoto.

Forkball

Ok seriously fuck these prankster comets. The developers think of the stupidest, most frustrating thing for you to do an then make you do it. I have to kill 30 of these spiny assholes with shitty controls thanks to the rainbow star in a minute, when they are hiding in random nooks and crannies and run into the mud the second they see me? NO.

Doorman

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Hey Banktoad! I have a letter for you...

"Stop telling me how the fucking banktoad works. I fucking know already.

Signed, Mario"

This. The same goes for Luigi
before you beat Bowser 3
. Yes, we know you can play as Luigi. Why can't you just ask that from the very beginning instead of going through the whole schpiel every time? There's a lot of weird redundant text like that, I don't quite get it.

kman3000

George said:
They already gave you like four rewards, I don't know why you would expect another... >_>

fernoca

George said:
Well, you got:
For finishing the game the first time: New galaxies and playable Luigi at any time
For collecting the 120 stars: An extra set of 120 stars
For collecting those extra 120 stars: A new galaxy and 2 more stars
You're basically asking for misc things..to play over the same game..that's like in Super Mario 64..the reward for collecting all stars? ..Lots of lives to waste on nothing, since you collected everything.

Kard8p3

George said:

you do realize the grandmaster galaxy is this games equivalent to the horrible purple coin celebration galaxy you unlock in the original right? Plus you have 120 new hidden stars instead of just a second playthrough with luigi. Really this game rewards you more than any of the other 3D marios so I don't know how it's disappointing.

Nicktals

Banned
George said:

I think all those are fair requests. But i mean, there was a hell of a reward. And
the grand master galaxy kicks the pants off the celebration galaxy from SMB1 any day.

I have a question for you though, seeing as you've 100% completed it:
Did you go back and beat the final bowser battle again, on the off chance that it gives a slightly different end cinematic? or on the very off chance that it could unlock 2 additional green stars? Or did you basically get a message saying that you were 100% done?
I guess this stuff would have been revealed by someone if either were the case, but still...it would've been the first thing I did, just to see.

EDIT: People really need to learn how to spoiler. Or at least preview =/

Meohsix

Nicktals said:
[/spoiler]
I have a question for you though, seeing as you've 100% completed it:
Did you go back and beat the final bowser battle again, on the off chance that it gives a slightly different end cinematic? or on the very off chance that it could unlock 2 additional green stars? Or did you basically get a message saying that you were 100% done?
I guess this stuff would have been revealed by someone if either were the case, but still...it would've been the first thing I did, just to see.

EDIT: People really need to learn how to spoiler. Or at least preview =/
yes i went back and did bowser again, nothing changed in the ending, no other green stars, and no message saying that you %100.
the only changes are rosalina on the ship and your profile sparkles =/
edit: oh they also posted a 2nd message on the wii message board but i forgot to check it

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
bridegur said:
The Throwback Galaxy is far and away one of the best things I've played all year. GIVE ME A COMPLETE REMAKE, NINTENDO.
Seriously. A remake of Super Mario 64 with the Galaxy engine would be amazing :D

cory

Banned
DanteFox said:
so it looks like this isn't the best game every made anymore, according to Gamerankings. Ocarina remains king.
Same on Metacritic. 99 vs 98, but SMG2 has 16 more reviews.

rhino4evr

Forkball said:
Ok seriously fuck these prankster comets. The developers think of the stupidest, most frustrating thing for you to do an then make you do it. I have to kill 30 of these spiny assholes with shitty controls thanks to the rainbow star in a minute, when they are hiding in random nooks and crannies and run into the mud the second they see me? NO.
Yeah to be honest I had more trouble with that one then the flip switch and tree slide. There is little room for error, you basically need a perfect run. It was really hard.

So anyway I'm at 50 stars and played a bit of world 4...all I have to say is that the game continues to impress me with it's Clever level
design and challenges. Some really great stuff
In this game.

It's not Mario galaxy 1.5...it's Mario galaxy on crack.

Oh and I had absolutely NO problem controlling the bird. If the controls don't work for you youre doing It
wrong. I finished both challenges on my first try. I know how to use spring Mario too. You guys fail at learning new tricks.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Let me just say that I think some people are missing the point about the Fluzzard flights. It's not that the controls are bad (because they aren't that bad), it's that those levels are extremely boring compared to anything else in the game. You glide at a slight angle, going through checkpoints.....It's pretty boring.

A couple of the prankster comets gave me headaches.
Rainbow Slide
purple coins (got 4 extra with 14 sec to spare when I finally got it) and the cosmic clones one in
Flip-Out
. FFFFFFFFF those

Brinbe

My five-year-old nephew bought this a week ago, so we've been playing through for the last week. And I know I'm chiming in late with this, but wow, what a really fucking awesome experience and I just love the classically good gameplay.

I'm also glad that games like this, SMG1, and SMBWii (which we've also beat earlier this year) is introducing Mario to an entirely new generation, similar to how I was with the NES games... And as someone stated earlier, some of those prankster comet runs are fucking infuriating, but maaaaan, beating them, after so many tries, just feels fucking good. :lol

Anyway, we made it to World Six over the last few days, and I finished up hunting for the last few stars after he left... so right now we're sitting at 70, and right at the end-game. Can't wait till we play tomorrow, so he can beat Bowser/finish this off, and then we can hunt for all those other stars! :D

BowieZ

Banned
FunkyMunkey said:
A couple of the prankster comets gave me headaches.
Rainbow Slide
purple coins (got 4 extra with 14 sec to spare when I finally got it) and the cosmic clones one in
Flip-Out
. FFFFFFFFF those
People don't know about these galaxies yet. Give them a grace period of 1 week or so dude.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
posting "World 4, 5, 6 or
S
" was so much more ambiguous.

Top Bottom